The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

"In another life, I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away~" Eunhyuk sang softly to the radio as he massaged the sweet strawberry scented shampoo through his brown hair. The warm water beat down on his bare flesh, soothing his nerves and relaxing his muscles. He turned the shower off, stepping onto the cool white tile of the bathroom. The soft towel blocked his body from the cold air of the night, blowing in through the open window and lightly rustling the bright blue curtains. The atmosphere was soothing to Eunhyuk, and he stood there for quite some time listening to the rustling of the tree leaves in the soft breeze and the sound of cars slowly passing through the sub. Eventually, Eunhyuk slipped his pajamas on, quietly humming to himself. He stepped out of the bathroom and into the shared bedroom of his apartment that he occupied along with his best friend Donghae. Eunhyuk climbed into bed, snuggling into the soft flannel sheets and slowly falling asleep. He didn't notice Donghae coming into the room hours later. Donghae smiled at the sleeping dancer, lightly kissing his forehead before heading to bed himself.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey Donghae, Katy Perry is pretty hot, don't you think?" Eunhyuk asked Donghae one morning as they ate a breakfast of leftover pizza.

"Um...well..." Donghae squirmed uncomfortably. "I'm...not really into girls, Hyuk," he confessed, looking away from a buggy eyed Eunhyuk.

"Hae...wait, you're gay?!?" he asked, gaping at his best friend.

"You don't think it's weird or anything, do you?" Donghae questioned, looking a bit flusttered.

"Well..." Eunhyuk trailed off, thinking about how he had always been sort of...against homouality. He had accepted Kyuhyun and Sungmin because he kind of saw it coming...but his best friend? He wasn't sure how this was gonna work out... Donghae looked at the ground, sighed heavily and stood up.

"I'll just...leave then," he proposed, leaving the table to gather all of his stuff. Eunhyuk hesitated slightly, then stood up and walked after him.

"Hae, wait! It's ok!" Donghae turned around, depression filling his glossy eyes as they slowly filled up with tears.

"No Hyuk, I don't want to burden you or anything. I don't want us to be uncomfortable or awkward," he explained, pushing past a stunned Eunhyuk and walking towards the door.

"Hae, wait! Please don't leave!" Donghae turned around, hand on the doorknob.

"I'm sorry Hyukjae. You don't understand. Now I see that you never will. I have to leave before I do something stupid," he turned the knob and walked out into the pouring rain.

"LEE DONGHAE GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!!!" Eunhyuk ran after his best friend, not noticing the semi truck plowing straight towards him. Donghae looked up, face pale and fear stricken.

"EUNHYUK!!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!' he screamed, diving and pushing the monkey like boy out of the truck's path. Eunhyuk stared as the semi truck ran right over his best friend. He paused for a moment, time stopping as a single tear slipped down his cheek. He dropped to his knees, pounding the cement with his fist, not feeling the pain.

"DONGHAE!!!" he screamed, blood running down his knuckles and staining the pavement as passerby stared at the scene unfolding before them.

"Eunhyuk..." Donghae rasped feebly, turning his head slightly in Eunhyuk's direction. Eunhyuk crawled over to him, Donghae staring up into his eyes. "Eunhyuk...I love you..." he whispered, and his eyes glassed over and his body went limp. Eunhyuk took a heavy breath before bursting into tears. He stared at the younger, pure affection taking over his gaze. He kissed Donghae's lips, the rainwater from his hair dripping onto both of their faces.

"Donghae, come back! I need you! Please, I love you, just come back please! DONGHAE YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME!" Eunhyuk sobbed, letting his head fall onto Donghae's chest as he clawed at his shirt. 

"Please...God, bring him back..." And that was the last thing Lee Hyukjae remembered as he cried himself to sleep in the middle of the road, still clinging desperately to something he knew was gone forever. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Eunhyuk drove up to the cemetery, making sure the flowers didn't tip as he parked his car. He walked up slowly to the grave as he always did, closing his eyes and fondly remembering the most important person in his life, how he had always loved him but had never realized it. How the younger saved his life that day. He set the flowers down in front of the grave, three small tears slipping out of his eyes and falling onto the gravestone that read; "Lee Donghae. Born 1986-Died 2012. 'In another life, I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away,' -Katy Perry."

"I love you Lee Donghae," Eunhyuk whispered, kissing his hand and placing it on the grass. "I'll join you someday."

~The End~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok, so the total anthem for this story is called 'breathe' by taylor swift...and i almost cried while writing it *sob sob* hope u guys enjoyed!!! REMEMBER EUNHAE IS STILL TOGETHER IN REAL LIFE!!!