You Had Me at Hello

Mrs. Kim

Olivia Williams was rushing around like a chicken with her head cut off.

“Sungkyung, where are my black pants?”

“Shouldn’t you know that roommate,” she giggled as she pointed to the black pants sitting on their couch

“Oh,” she quickly put them on, “Thank you. I don’t want to be late for my first day of the 5th job that I’ve worked in Seoul,”

“Well I’m glad you found this one. Those others were questionable and I hate to see you stressed out,”

“Well I owe it all to Rachel. She’s the one who got me this job: an ESL teacher for SM Entertainment. Who would have thought I would be working there?”

“I didn’t,” Sungkyung added color to her painting

“That is going to look really good when you are finished,” she finished getting dressed, brushed her hair and teeth, added make up and kissed her roommate on the cheek as she ran out of the door

Olivia ran to the bus stop even though she really didn’t like taking the bus. For today though it took too much time. She only had 1 hour to get to work. She wanted to show a first good impression and being late was unacceptable. Like her Dad always told her, “If you’re 10 minutes early you’re on time. If you’re on time you’re late,”

But today she just couldn’t wait for the bus. She called for a taxi. She arrived at her destination to find a semi huge crowd in front of the steps of the building. She had 20 minutes. As she got closer she saw an old lady sprawled out onto the sidewalk and a very distraught young lady crying over her. She was appalled that no one was doing anything to help.

“What happened?” she asked in her perfect Korean

“My grandmother and I were walking and then she just slumped to the ground,” Olivia was checking to see if the old lady was breathing

“Why isn’t anyone helping you?” she checked for a pulse, there was none, “What is your name?”

“Eun bi,” she was wiping her tear

“Does your grandmother have any medical problems?”

“Are you a doctor?”

“No but I grew up with one,”

“She’s diabetic,”

“Does she have her medication?”

“I thought she took it with her before we left. She’s getting old; she may have forgotten it,”

“There’s no pulse. I have to perform CPR,”

“Please do it. I already called the ambulance,”

Olivia didn’t want the lady die in front of her granddaughter. She did what any good sanitarian who knew CPR would do. Her job would have to understand why she was late.

10 minutes later the ambulance arrived and took the grandmother in the car.

“Thank you so much,” said Eun bi

“It’s no big deal. I would want someone to do the same for me. I hope she’s going to be ok,”

Olivia was 15 minutes late but she ran into the building and to the receptionist desk. She pointed her in the right direction of Lee Soo-man’s office. Olivia sat outside his door, waiting to meet him.

 

Eun bi was feeling at little better about her grandmother being all right but she had to call her Oppa and tell him what happened.

“Young-woon Oppa, please come to the hospital,”

Kangin was driving in his car and he had to pull over so that he wouldn’t get into an accident, “What happened?”

“Grandmother passed out but this pretty black girl gave her CPR, she saved her life. Anyways I’m at Seoul Hospital. Please come,”

“I’ll be right there,”

 

Lee Soo-man opened the door and welcomed Olivia in. He was smiling which was weird considering she was late for her first day at work.

“People are saying you are a hero,” she knew exactly what he was talking about

“I’m no hero,”

“So modest. I like that in my employees. Well I will call my assistant to show you to the room and you can meet the boys you will be working with. There are 12 of them,”

“12, that’s a small class,”

“Well they are about to debut in America so we have to get them ready,”

Rachel came walking in the room. Rachel was actually Olivia’s foreign exchange sister back when Rachel lived with her family in ia. She ironically worked at SM Entertainment. She helped Olivia get this job which she was totally grateful.

Once they were in the hallway Rachel hugged Olivia and in a joking manner told her to watch her back because she is the luckiest person in the building to be working with Exo.

“I’m sorry I must be out of the loop. Who are they?”

“You work for the company but don’t know the artist?” she laughed at her friend

“Well the other places I worked at I really didn’t have time for TV and what not, so yeah I guess you’re right,”

“They are pretty darn popular. It’s one group but Exo K is geared towards marketing in Korea and Exo M is for China,”

“That’s so confusing,”

“Lee Soo-man knows how to make money. Some of them already know some English. Kris actually speaks it fluently because he grew up in Canada,”

“One down, 11 to go,” she smiled at Rachel

When Olivia opened the door she was greeted with a loud but happy introduction.

“We are one! Annyonghaseyo Exo-immda,” the boys bowed

“Annyonghaseyo Olivia-immda,” she smiled warmly at all the boys

Lee Soo-man sure knew how to pick good looking boys. DO, Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun, Chanyeol, Kris, Chen, Luhan, Xiumin, Lay, Suho and Tao wouldn’t take their eyes of their new English teacher as they all moved their desk so they were a semi circle around her. Olivia set her things up and then sat on top of the desk looking at each and every one of the boys.

“You have to forgive me but I don’t know who you are. So can you please introduce yourselves and tell me something about you?”

“Noona your Korean is so good,” said Baekhyun

“Thank you. And you are?”

“Baekhyun and I’m responsible for the main vocal of Exo K and you’re very beautiful Noona,” he winked at her

She laughed so hard and blushed, “Sing something for me Baekhyun,” she smiled

Baekhyun sang a snippet of Baby Don’t Cry. She was impressed but then again she didn’t expect nothing less, “Very nice,” her eyes landed on Kai who turned red instantly, “What about you?”

“I’m Kai and I’m responsible for being y in the group,” Olivia’s eyebrows went up then she flashed him a big smile and chuckled

“Can you do anything else?”

“Dance,”

“Show me,” Kai busted out his latest moves which got the guys hyper, “Good,”

Sehun was sitting next to Kai so he was next.

“I’m Sehun, the mankne of Exo K,” Olivia had to do a double take

“You do not look like the youngest. I thought Baekhyun was the youngest,”

“That’s funny,” he blushed

“What’s your specialty?”

“I can dance well too,” he showed her some of his moves as well

“I’m DO, the Umma of the group. I cook and clean and take care of the members,”

“Hyung also has a wicked voice Noona,” said Sehun

“Can I hear you sing DO,” said Olivia

He sung a little bit of Angel. DO’s voice was very silky and smooth.

“I’m Chanyeol,” Olivia’s eyes bulged, she was shocked

“Your voice totally doesn’t match your young face. Say something again,” the boys laughed at her

“I’m known as Happy Virus. The fans named me that because I’m always lively and you’ll never see me frowning,”

“Well that’s a wonderful trait to have,”

“I’m Suho, the guardian and leader of Exo K,”

“The most important job of them all,” said Olivia, she then turned her attention to Exo M, “Must be weird. I’m sure you guys are always being compared together instead of being one big group,”

“We are but we are never competitive with each other. We mostly encourage each other,” said Kris in English

“Aye you must be my fluent English speaker,”

“I can also speak Cambodian, Korean and of course Chinese and I’m Kris, the leader of Exo M,” he smiled sweetly at her

“I’m Lay. I’m continually working on my Korean and I play guitar,”

“Oh me too!” she was excited; “Maybe we can duet some time?”

“Yea,” he was excited as well

“I’m Chen, dancing machine and lead vocalist of Exo M,”

“Ok you have to give me a snippet of your voice,”

Chen started singing and blew her away. She knew at that moment she looked unladylike with wide open but she couldn’t help it. These boys could really sing

“I’m Xiumin and I’m the lead vocalist, I’m known as Baozi,” the boys laughed but Olivia didn’t understand what that meant

“What’s that?”

“It means I’m round like a bun,”

“And you don’t mind being called that?” most people that she knew from the States would not want to be called a bun

“It’s a term of endearment,”

“Alright,” she smiled at him

“I’m Luhan, main vocalist and I will sing something for you,” he smiled big at her as he sang a snippet of Baby Don’t Cry

“I’m Tao, mankne of Exo M,” Olivia was shocked once again

“Are you sure you’re the mankne. I thought Chen was the mankne,” they laughed some more

“I can also do martial arts,” he started flipping and spinning all over the room

“Wow!” she clapped for him

“Now tell us about you Noona,” said Baekhyun

“Well my name is Olivia Renee Williams. I’m from ia…”

“I knew you were from the South. I can totally hear your accent,” said Kris

“Yes, I was born and raised there. I have 6 brothers and sisters…”

“What are their names,” said Sehun

“And ages,” said Tao

Olivia was surprised about how much these boys wanted to know about her family.

“You guys really want to know all of this?”

“Yes, we are curious,” said Sehun

“Ok let me think for a minute. I’m going to start from the youngest to oldest. There is Kaleb who is 18, the triplets: Aiden, Jacob and Evelyn who are 23, and then there’s me and I’m 26, Vivian who is 28 and my older sister Adele who is 30 and married,”

“Wow that’s a big family,”

“My mother Gabrielle is a doctor and my father Joshua is an Admiral of the Navy, he takes his job very seriously,”

“How did you become a teacher?” asked Suho

“I’ve always loved it. Ever since I was a kid, I was always volunteering working with kids and I was always bossing someone around. It just clicked. I also loved to travel. My roommate Sungkyung, I met her at college, VCU and we became fast friends and when she had to come back to Seoul, I went with her. And now I work here. I should start teaching you guys,”

The boys took out their notebooks and started taking notes. They were a very lively bunch and quick learners. Olivia thought she would start small with teaching them how to greet people in American. She taught them what to say and what gestures to use and not use. The boys took a liking to the Southern gesture of hugs and a peck on the cheek.

“Now boys this gesture is only for people you know well. And if an elderly lady decides to use this gesture on you, you let her,”

“But we know you now Noona. Let me try,” said Baekhyun

“I think you just want to give me a kiss,” he blushed and laughed

The 2 hours went by fast and soon the boys had to leave for their set schedule. The bid their farewells and Olivia packed up to leave as well.

 

 

Kangin was finally settled in his dorm from taking his grandmother and cousin home. The doctor said she would be just fine and to rest. Kangin collapsed on the couch and breathed out. He rubbed his hands on his forehead and closed his eyes. He thought back to the conversation he had with Eun bi.

“I wish I got her name,”

“Whose name?”

“The girl who saved grandmother. All I remember was that she was black and very pretty. She was so nice, she came out of nowhere like an angel,”

“You’ve been watching too many dramas,” he laughed at his 16 year old cousin

“All I know is that she ran into the SM Entertainment building after we were loaded on the ambulance car. Maybe she works for the company. Oppa can you find her for me,”

“And what do you want me to do with her when I find her for you,”

“I want to thank her. I want to do something special,”

“I’m sure she knows you appreciate her,”

“Please Oppa find her for me. I won’t be able to rest until you do. She was there for me when no one else was. You know what I think,”

“What?”

“I think every citizen of Korea should learn CPR. That’s why no one was able to help; they didn’t know how to do it,”

“Is this going to be another one of your crusades,” he chuckled

“It’s going to be my mission,”

“Well fighting,” he pumped his fist in the air

“Fighting,” she had her determined face on

Kangin chuckled at his cousin. She was always coming up with these plans to save humanity and the planet; what a thoughtful child she was. His cell phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Young-woon, why didn’t you tell me about my mother?”

“I just got home. I was going to call you,”

“Eun bi was raving about some girl that saved her life,”

“Yes she wants me to find her so she can thank her properly,”

“I do too,”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, very. It’s your only grandmother left. I would think you would want to thank the person who saved her life,”

“Of course I do, mom but do I have to find her this moment. Rumor has it that she works at my company, so I can go look for her tomorrow,”

“No Kim Young-woon, you will look for her now. No buts. Love you,” she quickly hung up the phone

Kangin sighed, laid his head on the back of the couch and closed his eyes to recollect himself. He stood up, grabbed his keys and went to his company.

 

 

Rachel and Olivia were having lunch together in the cafeteria with other SM employees. Everyone was treating her nice, even though she did get a few jealous stares from other female employees. Hani was on her phone looking at the news when the story about the old lady came on. She accidently spit out her juice.

“Wow Hani can you not spray everyone,” said Rachel

“I’m sorry,” she looked at Olivia

“What?”

“Do you realize whose grandmother you saved today?”

“Who?”

“Kangin from Super Junior,”

“What’s a Super Junior?”

“Are you freaking kidding me? They are like the most popular K-pop group on the planet. You mean to tell me you work for the company but don’t know the artist,” Rachel gave Olivia a look and she just rolled her eyes

“I take it he’s famous, ok but I was just doing what any normal person would do. The lady was not breathing. I don’t really care whose grandmother she was,”

“Well get ready for your spotlight. I mean you are already working with Exo and now you’re going to be connected with Kangin. Get ready for more jealous stares,”

“Great,” she said sarcastically

 

Kangin went into the building and thought he should ask his boss Lee Soo-man if he knows anything about this mystery lady. As luck would have it he did.

“Today was her first day and I must say she is very lovely. Exo came into my office before they left for schedule and they wouldn’t shut up about her. They told me could they keep her forever,” Kangin laughed, “I can get her for you,” he paged his other assistant to get Olivia

As Olivia walked with Sora to Lee Soo-man’s office, she thought she was going to get sacked.

“It was nice working here,” she mumbled to herself, Sora heard her and laughed

“He’s not firing you, silly,” she opened the door for her

It was like slow motion for both Kangin and Olivia. Their eyes met and nothing else seemed to matter.

“Hello,” he smiled, stood up and bowed

“Hello,” she blushed and bowed as well

 

 

 

 

This chapter is very long. I was going to make it longer but I decided against it. This love story is going to be long anyways. It follows from them meeting, to dating, to marriage, to having babies and all the fun things in between. Hope you guys enjoy.