Unexpected Arrival

To Fall Into a Rut

"Do you honor your word?" Joe asked in a voice just above whisper. How can he fall for someone this shallow? To think that there are a lot of good women vying for his attention. He regretted, now more than ever, that he didn't listen to Ella. He saw that she was taken aback by his question.

"O-of course." She said reluctantly. "I do."

"Fair enough. Let's seal the deal then." By this time, he's alreay in front of Ariel. She was looking up at him with unexplained fear in her eyes. He found satisfaction by what he saw. He bent down without preamble and kissed her fully on the lips.

"W-what did you that for?" She asked in a desolate voice.

"Didn't you hear me? To seal our agreement." He said in a nonchalant tone. "I just want to remind you that you can't back out on your words." He unlocked the door and let her out.

"Why. . .why would I do that?" Her tone was unsure.

"I don't know." He said and left her in the hallway and went straight to his office. He found Ella waiting for him. He ignored her and went to his walk-in closet to change from his bellman's uniform.

"What happened?" She asked curiously while trying to gauge his expression when he came out.

"Nothing. Can you do me a favor, sister?" He asked seriously and Ella straightened her back from lounging at the massage chair.

"Sure." Her brows furrowed. "What is it?"

"Can you call Harry Winston for me? Have several five-carat diamond rings shipped here as early as tomorrow morning. Tell them that I have to choose. Then wedding bands too, if they have it. Can you do that?" He ordered like Ella was some kind of a lowly assistant. But he can't ask anybody to do that for him except her.

"An engagement ring?" She asked, eyes wide. "That fast, huh? Sure, I can do that." She smiled despite of shock. "I am asking permission to take the rest of the day off, Boss. Can I do that?" She asked. He could tell that she took everything at face value. Ella didn't have any idea what transpired during their conversation. He could see that she was very happy. She literally skipped her way out of his office when he nodded in approval.

He wanted to jump out of the window.

He didn't feel anything as intense as his love for Ariel before. But the fury that was building up inside him was as strong. He's never been humiliated like this in his entire life. And he's not sure if he can forgive Ariel for that.

******************************************************************************

"It's nice to be back!" Carlene exclaimed after stepping out of their private plane. "There is no place like home."

"There really isn't. I wonder how the kids are doing. I like your idea that we surprise them." Joshua smiled at his wife lovingly. They've been touring the world for almost eight months. Exploring each city of their fancy. The second honeymoon that they wanted eversince they can remember. Thanks to Joe and Ella. And Chun too.

"They're working their butts off these days according to Jeremy. How I missed them, Papa." She said when they got to the limo that will take them home. Instructions are clear that nobody would dare tell their kids of their arrival. "It's almost dinnertime. I am sure they're at home now." She said while glancing at her dress watch.

*****************************************************************************

"Mama!" Ella can't believe her eyes. She was waiting for Joe to arrive so that she can give him a heads up about the rings but she saw her parents instead. She ran towards her mother and gave her a hug. "I missed you Mama! Papa!" She hugged him too.

"We missed you too, sweetie. Surprised?" Carlene asked while messing her hair up.

Ella nodded and laughed. "Why did you cut your vacation short?" She asked while guiding her mother upstairs. "Butler Yi," She called the attention of their butler. "Have all the luggages taken to their room and have Xiu Mei cook more for dinner, okay?" She ordered.

"Shi, Young Lady." He exited the great room and went to the kitchen.

"Well, it's been months and I think we've already toured enough." Her mother sighed.

"So, what did you bring for me?" She asked tauntingly.

"Chanel by Ella Cheng." Carlene laughed and Ella pouted.

"I bet you got discount for those bags, Mama!" She whined playfully.

"Where is your brother, Jia Hua?" Joshua asked. "He should be here by now, right?"

"Err, he's still in the office. Let me call him, okay?" She brought her phone out and pressed speed dial one.

=Wei?= Joe's groggy voice greeted after several rings.

"Ge Ge. . .where are you? We have an emergency, you have to head home, ASAP." She said. *Is he drunk?*

=Let Jeh reh my fix it= His words slurred and she heard the busy tone. *Uh oh. Red flag. What is happening to him?*

"What did he say?" It was their mother.

"He'll be here any moment. I'll leave you two to rest first and check on our dinner. I'll call you when it's ready, okay?" She kissed both of their cheeks before going straight to her room to place a call to her brother again.

****************************************************************************

"Is there a problem?" Saika asked Ariel as soon as she got home. She noticed that her daughter's not just in her usual tired mood. She's spacing out and she saw her flinch for no reason when she called her attention.

"Huh?" Ariel almost jumped up in fright upon hearing her mother.

"What's troubling you, honey?" She asked fondly. She smiled to herself. She knew the signs. Her daughter's in love. She just have to acknowledge the feeling and everything will be okay. She knew that Joseph's a good man. In a few ocassions that he visited their home, he can't say anything bad about him aside from being a little unnatural, she guessed. But she really can't put a finger on it. But all in all, she'll vouch for him.

"Am I a bad person, Mama?" She looked up feeling distraught by all the events today.

Saika stopped in her tracks. Ariels rarely calls her Mama unless she's in deep trouble. "Why, what happened to you?" She shook her gently, cajoling her to tell the truth.

"I think I have to look for another job. It won't be good for me to be going all the way to Taipei everyday and then home here in Chiayi." Her daughter had a faraway expression in her face when she deliberately ruled the conversation in a different direction. Her eyes widened in horror.

"They've found you, didn't they? Oh my god! Did they hurt you?" She was practically in hysterics. And her daughter just stared at her, terrified.