The New Guy

Keeping Secrets

 

I can't believe I'm late for work again I thought to myself as I pulled into my parking space on Monday morning. I can't say I always dreamed of doing data entry for a mediocre accounting firm, but it pays the bills. I locked the car and quickly made my way through the lobby and into the elevator. I looked down at my watch, 8:12. I pressed the button for the 10th floor several times just to make sure that the elevator knew I was in a hurry. The nine floors seemed to pass by painfully slow and as the doors opened to my destination I was greeted by the last person I wanted to see at that moment.

 

"Park Chanyeol, How many times is this now? 4 times just this month that you've been late?" the slightly taller male asked me before I had even walked out of the elevator.

 

"I'm sorry Kris, this is the last time. I promise!" I pleaded with him. Kris glared at me briefly before continuing on his original path and I let out a sigh of relief. I liked working for Kris, but he was very strict about certain things and punctuality was one of them. He must have more important things to do this morning or I would've gotten a lecture.

 

I made my way to my cubicle at the far end of the office. Everyone else was already busy with their tasks for the day, not even looking up to notice my arrival which I was actually quite thankful for. I don't like to draw extra attention to myself when I can avoid it. As I approached my desk I noticed that the previously empty cubicle to my left was not so empty anymore. No one was sitting there, but there were papers stacked up and a box full of random supplies next to it. I peaked over the top of the right side of my cubicle and looked down.

 

"Pssssttt! Kyungsoo, are you busy?" I whispered over the top of the divider between us. He looked up at me with wide eyes.

 

"Look who decided to grace us with his presence." he said, giving me a smile.

 

"You're so hilarious.." I said sarcastically. "What's the deal with the junk on the desk over here? Did they hire someone new? Because it's about time we got some extra help in our depart-"

 

Someone rather loudly cleared their throat behind me and I nearly jumped out of the chair I was leaning on. I stood up straight and turned around to see Kris and another shorter guy I hadn't seen before standing to his side. I could feel my face turning red from what I hope was just embarrassment.

 

"Chanyeol, this is our newest employee, Baekhyun. He will be helping you and Kyungsoo with your projects. Could you please give him some training and get him started?" Kris asked with slight annoyance in his voice. I really only heard half of what he said since I was distracted by the person at his side.

 

"Yes sir, I'd be happy to." I replied as quickly as I could hoping to avoid any more dissatisfied looks. Thankfully Kris just nodded and left for his office down the hall. Once he was out of sight Baekhyun turned back toward me and extended his hand with a smile. "Chanyeol, right?"

 

"Yeah, I'm Chanyeol and this is Kyungsoo over here." I said motioning toward the other cubicle while shaking his hand. Kyungsoo leaned over enough so that his head was in view and greeted the new employee. Why is this guy so good looking, this is going to be distracting. I didn't realize I was still shaking his hand until he pulled himself away sort of suddenly.

 

"You feel really warm. You aren't sick are you?" he asked, sounding rather concerned, most likely thinking I might be contagious. I didn't really have any logical explanation to give him, but I didn't want to say I was sick and have him trying to keep his distance from me the rest of the day.

 

Baekhyun was still waiting for my answer I realized. "No I'm not..I mean I don't think I am. I mean...no." what kind of answer was that? Baekhyun was looking at me a little oddly and just responded with a slightly drawn out "Okay.." At least my awkwardness seemed to distract him from the fact that I didn't give any other explanation of my body temperature. He was still standing in front of my cubicle like he was waiting for something. OH ME, he's waiting for me to show him what to do. Focus Chanyeol, get yourself together!

 

"I guess let's get started then?" I said, making my way over to his new workspace as he followed behind. I spent the first few hours of the day showing him how to use all of the company's software programs and then I let him try it himself a bit. He has such nice hands for a guy...

 

“Chanyeol?” he asked, making me look up from his hands on the keyboard. “Did I do that right?”

 

I had no idea honestly. I wasn't even watching the screen, but I just nodded my head and smiled a little. “Did Kris show you around the office yet?” I asked.

 

“No not yet..”

 

“Well there's a little time left before lunch time so let's take a walk around.” I said as I stood up from my chair.

 

I showed him around the office a bit until we got to the kitchen and break room. By then It was lunch time and my stomach was becoming very verbal about it's needs.

 

"Well I think I showed you all the important stuff, but if you have any questions I'll be at the desk right next to you so feel free to ask. Oh and Kyungsoo and I usually go to that deli down the street if you wanted to join us for lunch?" I offered not really sure if I should have or not, but I'd hate for him to have to eat alone since he doesn't really know anyone yet. Plus he's really cute.....NO! Don't think like that, he's your coworker.

 

"Actually I think I'll just snack on something here. I want to get my desk organized and maybe look around the office a little more. Thanks for the offer though!" he said with a smile and made his way back to his desk. I was a little disappointed he said no and I just stood there watching him walk away not sure what to do with myself until I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out to look at the screen and saw a text from Kyungsoo "I already left for lunch. I'm going to get us a table, but don't take too long." I shoved my phone back into my pocket and headed to the elevator.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

As soon as I walked into the deli I saw Kyungsoo was already sitting at our usual table and he waved to me. I took the seat across from him and glanced around the rest of the room. There were only a few other tables that were occupied even though it was noon. That's why we come here though.  It's tucked away on a side-street that no one notices, but the food is great.

 

"I already ordered so it shouldn't be long." he said casually. "How is the new guy?"

 

"Um, he seems good so far. He picked up on everything really fast." I replied calmly.

 

"That's it?" he looked at me with wide eyes.

 

"What..do you mean 'that's it'?" I was a little confused by his question. I thought my original answer seemed sufficient.

 

"Well the way you were staring at him and fumbling over your sentences, I figured there was more to it..."

 

"I wasn't staring.” I stated back, sounding overly defensive.

 

“I was right there watching. You definitely were.” He said back. I dropped my head onto my folded arms on the table. I didn't realize it was so obvious.

 

“Did it look like he noticed? Was he creeped out? How long was I staring? This is why I have so few friends. I just scare everyone away.” I said into my arm.

 

Kyungsoo was laughing at me. "I don't know if he noticed or not, but he didn't really seem bothered by it if he did. I thought it was long enough to be weird, but that's just me." he paused briefly "actually I think this is the first time I've seen you show any interest in anyone." he stated matter-of-factually.

 

I picked my head back up and looked at him. "Who said I'm interested? Just because I looked at him longer than what you call 'normal'? I'm not allowed to just think someone is attractive without wanting to date them?" ugh why do I keep talking? I sound like an idiot.

 

"You can deny it all you want, but I don't believe you." He said just as our sandwiches and drinks arrived. "Thank you." we both said to the waitress before she walked away. There wasn't much talking once we started eating, but what Kyungsoo had said earlier had me thinking about why I avoided dating and relationships in the first place and I think he noticed the change of my mood because he insisted on paying for my lunch today.

 

A/N:  I'm terrible at spelling and grammar so sorry if there are some mistakes that spellcheck didn't catch and thank you for reading =D