A Hint of What's to Come

I Fell in Love with a Mermaid

No One’s P.O.V.

Onew grumbled, “I don’t see why we all have to go and find this mystery girl when she’s Jonghyun’s...”

Key sighed, “Quit sulking about your chicken, I’ll buy you some more when we go to the grocery store.” Onew finally had a smile on his face. Key groaned, “This is starting to become pointless. Everywhere we stopped at, no one had any clue who your mystery girl was. I feel like giving up.”

Jonghyun bit his lip in desperation, “I can’t give up just yet. Aish!”

“Excuse me?” SHINee turned around. “I heard from my neighbor that you are looking for a girl...?” An elderly lady asked.

“Neh, we are! Do you know anything?” Taemin piped.

The elderly lady smiled, “Yes, I can help you. Please, follow me.” She walked back and entered a tiny look-a-like cottage of a house surrounded by beautiful plants that exerted a huge variety of colors.
The boys gaped. They slowly entered behind the older lady. “How...? Your front yard is beautiful.” Key managed to gasp.

“Thank you.” She grinned. “Almost as beautiful as the girl you saw.” She looked into Jonghyun’s eyes.

“You know about her?” He took a step forward. “Please, do you know of a way to find her?”

She shook her head, “But I do know that she will come find you so, you have no need to worry, young man. But, I will warn you.” She lowered her voice. “She’s...how should I put it...?” She wandered off.

“She’s what?” Jonghyun prompted.

“She’s...not an average human girl. She’s...more. There. That’s the easiest way to say it.” She snapped her fingers and resumed to wander off down the little hallway.

“What?” Onew asked clueless. The others shrugged. Jonghyun stood there, shocked, unable to process what he just heard.

“More...? How?” Jonghyun managed to say through stiff lips.

The older lady came back with a leather book. “This is how she’s more.” She settled down onto the couch across from them and laid out the book, flipping through pages. “She’s a beauty, isn't she?” She chuckled. She pushed the book towards them, opened to a picture of the same exact girl Jonghyun saw that night.

"Wow hyung... You never said she was this beautiful." Minho practically drooled as he analyzed the picture.

Jonghyun whacked him on the head. "Yah, back off!"

She burst into a fit of giggles then calmed. “She tempts all men but only one took her fancy.” Her smile lost some of its glow. “She paid dearly for that choice.” Her cheery smile came back full force. “But I’m glad she has moved on.” She eyed Jonghyun up and down. “This time, she picked a fit and handsome young man.”

Jonghyun blushed, “Ah, thanks.” He smiled.

She chuckled, “I’m sorry. This seems weird doesn’t it? Well, I’ll get to the point now.” The boys leaned in closer to hear the story. She paused as she heard a bell chime. “Oh! The pie is ready! I dare say, my pie is the best around! You boys should try some.” She grinned. The boys fell back into their seats in exasperation. She rushed to the kitchen.

“That halmuni...” Minho sighed in defeat, “she knows how to kill suspense.”

“She knows how to use it to the max.” Taemin laid dead on the floor.

Key sighed, “Looks like we’ll just have to wait for her to tell us.”

“Pie anyone?” The elder lady came back with a few plates.

Onew's stomach growled. He sniffed the air and found the smell to his liking so he stood up, eyeing the pie curiously, “It’s not chicken but I’ll try it.”

“You’ll try anything.” Key mumbled.

Onew glared at him then took a bite. To him, it seemed that time had ceased to exist. It felt like he was falling through the clouds to only land on a bundle of softness. “I’m in heaven...” He sighed. He chomped through the rest of it. “Halmuni! I never thought I’d say this, but!” He sniffled. “Your pie has replaced my love for chicken! I, Onew, bow down to you!” The others gaped at him, jaws agape.

“Say what now?” Minho said in disbelief.

“Your friend here...is he okay?” The older lady eyed him in concern.

Key sighed, “Yeah, he’s...like that. Let’s just say he has an addiction to chicken and now apparently...he doesn’t.” He groaned. “Which makes things worse because where am I going to get your pie?” He leaned back in the chair in despair.

“I can give you the recipe if it means it’ll save you a lot of time?”

“Please!”

She laughed, “You boys are a funny lot, you know?” She turned to Jonghyun, “You’re quiet all of a sudden. Cat’s gotten your tongue?”

“You said...she’s more? How so?” Jonghyun paused, “And...you said she chose me?” He croaked.

“Ah, right. I was about to tell you wasn’t I?” He nodded. She sat down again. “Well, there’s a legend around here. Should you swim in the Siren’s lake under a crescent moon a beautiful unearthly young lady will appear, if she finds you worthy, she’ll leave behind a token. If not, she’ll let you see her but then disappear in the next instant. Apparently, she found you worthy am I right?”

Jonghyun looked down at the bracelet that he clutched in his hand, “Neh, you’re right. But, what did you mean about the first choice?”

She cringed, “The girl...she’s...cursed. She is from another world but was exiled. She has to find a husband or she can never return home. Her first choice was a wealthy man who seemed to have a kind heart. She was wrong though.” Her voice turned bitter. “He used her for his own personal enjoyment then when he received the chance, he left her for dead. Not literally but it might as well have been. He left her with a broken heart. After that moment, she wasn’t the same again. Before that incident, she was a kind and caring young girl just wanting to go home to her mother and father.” She closed her eyes. “She paid dearly though. She trusted and she fell as she broke.” SHINee sat silently. “That is the summary of the story of your mystery girl. She can tell you more for it is not mine to tell.”

Jonghyun slowly nodded, “Thank you madam. You said she would find me?”

She smiled gently, “Yes. But you must prove your worth. Also, boy, did you really start to grow feelings for her or are you only curious?”

“I...” Jonghyun stopped then started again. “I barely met her. I can’t say if I’ve developed feelings for her or not but we shall see. For now, all I know is that she stays persistently in my head.” He gave a small smile.

The older lady nodded. “Alright. That is good enough. Now, move along and get ready to leave at noon before you’re too late.”

The boys nodded, smiled, and said their thanks as they left. Taemin tapped his chin, “You know, I wonder how she knew so much about the girl and when we’re leaving tomorrow.”

Key stopped and stared at Taemin, “Now that I think about it, I’m curious too.” The others stopped and stared at them. Key shook his head, “Let’s just forget about it and focus on the main thing right now, finding your girl. Everyone nodded. Key shook off the chilling sensation that was crawling up his spine but it was still faintly there.

The Elder Lady’s P.O.V.

“So...he’s the one you’ve picked.” She chuckled. “I wish you all good luck.” She smiled then looked into the mirror as the wrinkles of age soon began to disappear.