Zhang Yin

Seeking the New World - Book 2 - Separated

Chapter 2 - Zhang Yin

A troubled Ja Young was sitting on her knees facing Lay in the middle of her room. He held out his palm in front of her face while her eyes were closed. He focused his gaze on Ja Young and tried to find any clues or traces on what happened before he found her. Unfortunately, he couldn’t find anything but somehow, his efforts were futile despite knowing how she was in this state. He also realized that a larger part of herself was missing, and it wasn’t just her memories.

“You may open your eyes now.” Lay said, breaking the silence. Ja Young opened them.

Lay sighed. “Your life force is telling me that your Argent abilities no longer exist within you. Your memories until your re-awakening have disappeared, as you know, but also most of your memories beforehand are still gone. You said that you only remember some vague glimpses from your dream. Is that correct?”

Ja Young nodded with sad eyes.

“Then those must be the rest of the memories before you were gifted with your abilities. It seems that your life has been paused and then resumed.”

Ja Young put her hand on her abdomen, where it was still bandaged. “How long was I unconscious?” She asked.

“A little over one month.” Lay answered, and Ja Young's heart dropped uncomfortably to her stomach

“All I can do for you is that you must stay here until your body is fully recovered. You are still weak and malnourished,” the healer offered. Ja Young didn’t have anywhere to go in this world, so she took his word of advice.

“Thank you,” he paused and awkwardly laughed. “If you are to stay, I should give you a new name until your memories and abilities return. How about," he stopped to think. His face brightened when he came up with a name only a few moments later."Yin. Zhang Yin.”

Ja Young repeated her new name until it rolled off her tongue smoothly. She smiled, content with her new name.

As she and Lay were quietly laughing and conversing, there was a presence at the closed door. It slid open to reveal a woman, a bit older than Ja Young, carrying a tray with food and medicine. She was taken aback by the two of them in the same room and then regained her composure with a warm smile.

“You've finally awoken.” Yin cracked another smile when the older woman was speaking in the common tongue. She placed the tray near Yin’s side and sat down to join them.

“Ah, Ji Eun. This is Zhang Yin. I have given her a new name until she restores her memories.” Lay chose his words carefully. Ji Eun turned to her. “My name is Song Ji Eun. I am a missionary from the first World Country of Rova. I am here to help out Yi Xing with child care and teaching the Common Language."

“Ji Eun here has been learning our tongue so she could communicate with everyone. She has been here for six months now.” Lay continued.

“It is a pleasure to meet you.” Yin politely greeted with a small bow. Ji Eun bowed back. Yin hadn’t felt this kind of joy since she lost almost everything. She felt her heart at ease when she took in the fact that she was surrounded by a warm and welcoming atmosphere.


After a while of socializing amongst the three, Lay left the two women alone so he could gather the children for dinner. Ji Eun led Yin to her quarters. She took a look around the room. The missionary kept her room clean and organized. Her traveling pack was sitting in the corner along with the neatly folded and stacked blankets. While Yin was scanning the chambers, Ji Eun skimmed through her closet which contained a variety of Ha Jung female clothing. She kept mumbling to herself about Yin’s physique, skin tone and hair that it made the latter curious.

Ji Eun finally emerged from the closet with an arm full of colorful robes for Yin. The amnesiac was taken aback with the fancy fabric. Ji Eun giggled. “Don’t worry. Higher class robes are even more extravagant. I know that one of these should suit you just fine.”

Yin set her gazes on each robe and picked a violet one with cherry blossoms embroidered on the fabric. She didn’t know why but the flowers seemed to approach her mind into a hint. Pushing that aside, she gingerly the silk.

“You picked a really pretty one,” Ji Eun complimented. Yin timidly thanked her. The older woman set the other robes aside and lay out the one she picked. “Before that, we should fix your hair a little. It looks a bit messy but nothing too complicated. Your hair is short enough to leave it alone.”

Ji Eun sat Yin down in front of her and carefully brushed her hair. “Miss Ji Eun-” Yin was interrupted by her.

“Just Ji Eun is fine, Yin. We are friends now, after all.”

“Ji Eun, do you really like to be a missionary?”

“Well, I like to travel to different countries where I can learn new things and gain new experiences. It was getting kind of boring back at Rova.”

"What's it like in Rova? What is there?"

"Rova is a big country with six big cities that are equally just as exciting. Rova is a country of art, and I come from Notro, the city of music. There is even a city of drama, dance, theatre, fine arts, and film. There's always something going on there, but being away from a lot of excitement can be refreshing once in a while especially when there are people you love waiting for you."

“What do you mean?”

“You see...” Ji Eun blushed, “I have a fiancé back at home. He said that we’d get married when I come back.”

Yin was interested in Ji Eun’s relationship so she asked more. “You sound like you love him very much.”

“Thank you, Yin. I do. He may not look like husband material, but when you're in love, somehow appearances never matter anymore. There! Good as new!” Ji Eun finished fixing her hair and held out the robe. “Time to try it on, Yin!” 

Ji Eun was a cheerful and bubbly woman. Her happy vibe was very contagious because Yin continued to smile and laugh with her. Ji Eun helped her in the robe and tied the sash around her waist.

“You’re so skinny, Yin. While you stay here, I should feed you more.” She joked. “But you look great!”

Yin walked to the mirror and looked at her reflection. Ji Eun was right - through omiscent eyes, Yin never looked more feminine than she was as Hong Ja Young. The more she gazed analytically at herself, the more speechless she became.

“You must meet the children, Yin! They were waiting for you all this time to wake up.”


Ji Eun took Yin's hands and led her to the dining room where children were having their last meal of the day. The older youth were at one table eating comfortably while the younger lads and lasses were chattering. Lay was walking around, talking with them to brighten the atmosphere. Yin could tell that he loved to take care of children. ‘He could be a great father too,’ she thought to herself.

Lay looked up and his face lit up when he spotted Ji Eun dragging in a still-dazed Yin. He stood up and strode towards them. He smiled and pat Yin’s shoulder. “You look beautiful.”

Yin lowered her gaze bashfully with a quiet word of gratitude.

One of the younger children suddenly said in the native language, “There she is! She woke up!” The other younglings stopped eating and gathered in front of her. Yin saw their excited gazes and heard Ji Eun say, “Now children. This is Zhang Yin. Say hello in Common Tongue.”

“Hello!” They greeted in unison. One of the girls squealed, “Yin is so pretty!” The boys agreed. Yin shyly smiled back at them as Lay and Ji Eun watched them from behind.

“Looks like she’ll be very loved here.” Ji Eun whispered. Lay replied, “She will be, but the time will come for her to leave, and more likely without gaining herself back.

“Ji Eun, your time will also end here very soon. If she is destined to leave before you, please go with her. If she will be led to safety, then so will you.” He warned. Ji Eun solemnly nodded in understanding. She didn’t want Yin to go off on her own either, even if her life would be in more or less danger.