Retrace

Retrace

 

I have to find him…. Before graduation... The boy who I couldn’t properly say goodbye to. The boy who disappeared without a trace. I am now left with nothing but a faint memory of him. My heart is telling me he is closeby. And now I have no choice but to trust my instincts…

Chapter 1

The students are in the midst of preparing for midterms. First year Ryu Sarang was immensely drowned in her notes. She had completely forgotten that time had passed by. Before she knew it, the last bell rang. All of her classmates got up to leave except her. Crap, I’m gonna be late for the meeting! She quickly crammed all of her belongings into her bag. A little slip of paper fell on the floor. Before she could grab it, a familiar boy picked it up.

“Sarang-ah, you’re joining Astronomy club?”

She looked up, her eyes met with his. Oh, it’s Byun Baekhyun. Without hesitancy, she snatched the paper from his hands.

“You shouldn’t do that, you know, going about on people’s business.” She claimed, sticking her tongue out.

“How mean. I was only snooping around.” Baekhyun grinned. “I thought I should take you there. Did I mention I was the club’s recruiter?”

“I figured.” Sarang got up to leave, but he quickly took her hand. “Since it’s your first time going to the auditorium, you may need a little help from me.”

He totally read my mind just now! A sigh escaped from . “Fine. But just letting you know, I don’t owe you anything.”

Baekhyun laughed. “Course not.” He didn’t realize that he was still holding onto her hand. Sarang was completely unaware of it also until they had reached the auditorium. The auditorium was relatively far from the main school building, but luckily Baekhyun knew a shortcut. As they walked to the entrance, she let go of his hand. Her face was now a deep shade of crimson red.

“We’re here. Don’t be shy. I want you to introduce yourself.” He knocked on the door, and then twisted the doorknob to realize that it hadn’t been locked all along. While Sarang had the chance, she hid behind Baekhyun. “I should warn you. These guys can be pretty dangerous. You’ll be their first meal.” He said teasingly. Sarang wailed at the thought of getting eaten. She sent a hard punch to his back. “Hey, I was only kidding!” he scowled.

She popped her head inside. The auditorium was huge. On the ceiling was transparent glass. She could see the sky from there. When she looked back, her heart dropped to the ground. Standing in front of them were five, handsome young lads. They looked like third years, well most of them were. She recognized some faces but other than that, she didn’t know these boys at all – their names, their history, nothing of that sort. They were complete strangers.

“Hyungs, we have a new recruit!” Baekhyun announced gleefully.

“Waahh, she’s cute,” said a boy. He was fairly tanned compared to the others and his chest stuck out. He’s really built, she thought.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Chanyeol,”greeted a tall boy with permed hair. He stuck his hand out. For a second, she glanced at the stranger. “I’m uhhh….”

“Nice to meet you, Uhhh!” He grabbed her hand then shook it forcefully. His grip was so strong that her hand melted. Then, Sarang saw it. There was something significant about his aura. Sarang could feel it in his tight grip. He seems like someone I would easily get attached to. I don’t think he’s necessarily bad, she thought as she nods to herself.

“So Uhhh, if that’s really your name, what brings you to the Astronomy club?” A young man asked as he stepped out from behind the darkness.

“That’s not my name! M-My real name is Ryu Sarang…” She lowered her head, hiding her embarrassment.  I joined for the sake of finding a long lost friend…. Wait, no… I can’t say that.

“I’m not really sure why I wanted to join.” Her shoulders slumped as the words came out of . There was no way they would admit her into the club with that kind of excuse. Even so, it was impossible to tell them the real reason why she decided to come. Imagine the look on their faces. They would be flabbergasted.

“Is that so?” he said slightly rubbing his hair. She could tell by the tone in his voice, that he wasn’t pleased with her answer. And yet, he kept a calm, cool exterior.

“Ahh too bad, we were really expecting a female recruit too.” The tanned boy said bluntly, shrugging his shoulders with impact. “Did you think you could get your hands on her?” Another boy with legitimately large eyes .

Sarang’s eyes searched for Baekhyun’s. There was concern in his expression. He whispered something, but she couldn’t hear him behind her pounding heartbeats. He nodded as in sending a signal. Is he telling me to go away?

 “Actually, I asked her to join by request.” He said frankly. The other members’ jaws dropped. They weren’t expecting that from him and neither did Sarang.

“Baekhyun, is she your girlfriend? What a let-down!” The guy who called himself Kai complained.

“We’re not like that! “ He blushed, slightly glancing at Sarang back and forth. “We’re in the same class.”

“Well if that’s the case, I guess we could let you join, Ryu. By the way, my name is Suho. I’m the club president.” The guy from earlier greeted.

“Thank you! I won’t let you guys down!” Sarang was thrilled. Now I’m one step closer to finding him.

The remaining members introduced themselves. She learned that one of them, named Sehun, has a lisp. In all its weirdness, she still found it adorable. The other member, Kyungsoo, always looks like he’s in a daze. From all the tension she experienced earlier, she still couldn’t figure out why Baekhyun would use that kind of excuse. She was afraid he would uncover truth. It seemed like a sudden confession. She brushed those thoughts away. He was just being kind, was what she went with.