Cookies

Counting down cookies

"Yah! Kim Sungyu! You better give me back that packet of cookies or I'll break up with you!" you threatened.

"Why are you so anxious about this pack of cookie that some random guy gives you on valentine's day?" he asked, scent of jealousy filled your nose when he spoke.

"I like him! Aish, just give it back!" you lied, that instant the words came out of your mouth, you knew you had brought the joke too far. Hurt could be seen in his small eyes, that hamster had been hurt. By you.
 
He walked over to you, "Are you serious?" he asked ever so gently, "A-aniyo... I was just joking. I love you. Kim Sunggyu will be the one and only love of my life." you told him, but the look in his eyes told you something else.
 
"I got something to tell you." He said with a serious expression, 'Is he going to say he loves me and kiss me?' you thought happily in your mind.
 
"Let's break up." he said. What? "W-what did you say...?" you asked him, looking at him with your big eyes. "I said, let's break up." he repeated. 
 
Both of you stood there, in your living room for a while looking at each other, the hurt in his eyes seem to fade away and was covered by a layer of coldness while looking at you. "Y-you're joking. You know I do love you!" you held his hand, he looked at you for a second and brushed your hands off without any hesitation.
 
"I'm not joking." he told you. Why is this happening? For god's sake, it's valentine's today, why must he break up with me now? "Must you be so petty? Breaking up just because I said that I liked another guy? I already said it's was a joke!" you screamed at him, he looked at you with those cold eyes that sent chills down your spine. "I'm sorry." he whispered, just loud enough for you to hear and turned and walked out of my door.
 
"Kim Sunggyu!" you called, he stopped in his tracks, "If you ever dump me here just because of the cookies, I'll make sure you won't get to see me again." you warned, he didn't look back, but he just stood there.
 
"Wae?" you asked, tears rolling down your cheeks, "I have another girl." he said and walked off.
 
Sunggyu walked out of the house and his tears dropped. "I'm sorry. It's the best for us this way." he mumbled and walked off. You slumped down on the floor, tears was streaming down your cheeks uncontrollably, "Wae?" you asked nobody.
 
A month later, you returned back to your life when you haven't met him. Even if so, it still felt different. Something was missing, a part of you were missing. You knew what it was but you didn't want to acknowledged it. Sunggyu stopped attending classes, most probably spending more time with that girl rather than his studies you thought. 
 
After class, you wandered around the campus aimlessly. You walked around, enjoying the silence in the garden when you didn't realized and got knocked down by a bicycle. "Ouch..." you groaned as you saw the cut on your elbow and the scratches on your knees. "I'm sorry!" a guy voice sounded, and he squatted down beside you. You looked up and was surprised.
 
"Woohyun?" You asked when you saw his face, "____, are you okay?" he asked you, inspecting your injuries, "Ah... I'm fine. Just a bit of scratches." you told him. It has been so long since you seen him. He was Sunggyu's best buddy. "You don't look like you're fine. Come on, let's go to the hospital." Woohyun said and helped you up.
 
Despite how much you argued that you didn't need to go, you reached the hospital in minutes. Woohyun brought you to a nurse and she cleaned up your wound. After a while, your wounds were dressed and you were ready to go. You stepped out of the room and saw a familiar back. It was so familiar that it aches your heart to see it. It was walking weakly in to a room. 
 
"You're ready?" Woohyun asked from behind you, you didn't answer him, seeing you staring so intently at someone he looked up and followed your gaze. "____ ah. Let's go." he quickly said and pulled you away, "Is that him?" you asked, of course Woohyun knew you both have broke up already. "Who?" he asked, acting as if he didn't know what you were talking about. 
 
You stopped dead in your tracks when you realized something, "It's him! It's Sunggyu!" you cried and turned back running as fast as you could. You were already at the door of the hospital.
 
"_____!" Woohyun called after you and caught your arm. "Sunggyu... It's him. Why is he here?" you looked at Woohyun for an answer, "It's not him..." Woohyun lied, "Yes! It is! I can recognize his back!" you screamed at Woohyun, Woohyun looked at you and then he looked away. "Yes. It's him." Woohyun finally said, "Why? Why is he here?" you asked anxiously.
 
Woohyun kept quiet, "Tell me!" you hit his arm, "He didn't want you to know." Woohyun spoke, although your eyes have been blurred by your tears, you could see him crying too. "Know what?" you asked, "He's dying." Woohyun finally told you. Dying? "That's why he broke up with you." Woohyun continued, "No. He broke up with me because he got a new girl. He's not dying." you protested.
 
"He didn't have a new girl. He loves you, ____ ah. He loves you so much that he can't bear seeing you cry over him!" Woohyun shouted in frustration, "No matter how I told him, he insisted in breaking up. he said it was the best." Woohyun sobbed even harder. "How long more does he have?" you choked out the words, "Not more than a week." Woohyun answered.
 
"Bring me to him now!" you demanded, Woohyun looked at you, than motioned you to follow him. He brought you to a room. "Go in. He's in there." Woohyun opened the door for you. You took a deep breath and went in. "Woohyun, you're here." you heard Sunggyu said as he lifted his head up and his mouth opened wide when he saw you.
 
You two looked at each other, he looked so weak and fragile. His face was pale. "Why are you here?" he asked, breaking the silence between the both of you. "Why did you lie?!"You asked him still standing at the door, He looked away from you. You walked over to him, "Is this the best way you can think of?" you asked again, he kept quiet.
 
"I..." he started talking, "I didn't know how to tell you." he said, "When we were fighting over the cookies, I was still thinking of how to tell you. But when you said you like another guy," "I told you it was a joke!" you cut him off, "I know." he merely answered with a smile, "You used that as an excuse! You broke up with me! Lied to me! Kim Sunggyu! Did you know how I survived this whole month?!" you cried in frustration, how can this guy over here still smile when his days are numbered and you as his girlfriend didn't know anything till he was left with a week to survive.
 
He stood up weakly from his bed and came over to you. He pulled you in to his embrace. You found the part of you that were missing, You felt full again. But this time, you knew that a week later, this part of you will be gone. Forever.
 
"I hate you..." you said through sobs, "I hate you for lying to me..." you said, "but at the same time, I love you. I love you till I can't bear to leave you." you cried harder in his arms, the warmth you have been missing these whole month. The protective hug from him whenever you felt insecure. The strong arms that once held you tightly when you thought you were going to fall and break apart when you fell from the stairs.
 
"I love you. I love you more than you can ever imagine." he said gently and caressed your hair. He stood there and hugged you. Letting you cry. "Kim Sunggyu, don't leave me." your voice was muffled as you speak on his chest, "I won't." he smiled, you could hear his heart beating. It was something that you wanted to hear so much, you wished you could still hear it even after a week.
 
 The next morning, you woke up and found yourself sleeping in Sunggyu's warm arms. You stared at him. How long more can you look at him this way, how long more before this warm arms leave you. "You're awake." you heard him say, you looked up and saw a pair of small eyes looking at you. You smiled at him, it was only then, you realized the deep eye bags he had under his eyes, how much his cheeks has sunk in and how pale he was.
 
"What do you want to do today?" you asked him, he looked at you, "Hmm, let's bake cookies." he suggested, "How is that even possible?" you asked him, "I can be discharged." he smiled, that smile you will surely miss. "Really? Don't lie Kim Sunggyu." you told him, "Ani-ah. I'm not lying. The doctor told me yesterday before you came." he said, "Get up. Let's go to your house." he said as he pulled you up from his arms and he got up as well.
 
"Are you really feeling okay?" you asked worriedly as the both of you walked to your house. "Yes. ____ -ah, don't be so worried, I have plenty of time left with you. So let's spend it happily." he kissed you on your forehead. Yes. One week. it's plenty of time for Kim Sunggyu.
 
"Aniyo! It's not this way! You got to add water first!" you nagged at Sunggyu who was mixing the ingredients according to what he liked and not what was written in the recipe. "Ah, chincha?" he asked and took a look at the recipe that was placed right in front of him, he then giggled, "Seems like you're correct." he said cutely while rubbing his head, "Yah! Sunggyu ah, your hand is full of flour!" you nagged again, his hair now was grayish instead of the black. He suddenly perked up, as if he thought of something, "Wait for me here." he said as he quickly rinsed his hand and ran to your room.
 
"Where are you going?" you asked, he turned and smiled and went in to your room. Minutes later, he came out with your camera. "Get ready!" he said, he placed the camera on the table and grabbed a handful of flour and dumped it on your head, "YAH!" you screamed, "1,2,3!" the camera flashed and the picture was taken. The both of you ran and grabbed the camera but Sunggyu was faster and he laughed at your face.
 
"Delete it!" you grumbled, "Andwae!" he said, "This is what we will look like 70 years later." he said as he looked at the picture. You felt tears forming in your eyes, you quickly turn away from him and continued with your cookie making. You blinked hard and tried to stop the tears from coming out. 
 
After hours, "Yay! It's done!" Sunggyu cheered like a small boy. He took the cookies from the oven and took inhaled deeply, taking in the nice chocolate smell. "You can only have one piece." you told him, he looked at you, "Why?" he exclaimed, "Because you're naughty." you pinched his cheeks. "I want more! I baked it you know?" he pouted, "Fine. 2." you gave in, you can't resist his pout. "But!" he protested, "Say somemore and nothing will be given to you." you threatened, "Fine. 2 shall be it." he said and sat down grumpily on the sofa outside.
 
You looked at him as he watched the television. Than you returned and looked at the heart shaped cookies you were holding. Taking out 2, you're left with 7. You 1 out and put it in to a different container from the leftover 6. 6 days more before he leaves you.
 
After clearing up the mess Sunggyu and you made in the kitchen, you went out to the living room and found Sunggyu sleeping on the couch. "Sunggyu... Gyu..." you gently shake him, he opened his eyes, but it seems like he was still sleeping if he hadn't made a sound, "Hmm?" he asked, "Come to my room and sleep." you told him, he nodded and got up.
 
When he stood up, he immediately fell back. "Sunggyu!" you cried as you shook him, you touched his forehead, he was having a fever. You dragged him to your room and place him on the bed. "____, i'm cold..." he mumbled in his sleep, you didn't know what to do. You got in to the bed with him and hugged him tightly, he protected you with his arms before, now it was your turn to protect him.