Epilogue - Letters from the Sky.

Borrowed Time.
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The Present.

 

Dear Chanyeol,

 

First, I want to apologise. I'm sorry.

 

I'm sorry that you're reading this letter, because this means that I'm not here with you anymore. This could be a bit inconvenient for you haha.

 

I can't sit with you at our favourite spot and hang out like we always do anymore. You'll need to find a new pair of ears for your complaints, a new shoulder for your tears. Everything will seem a little messed up from now on and it'll be tough. So I'm sorry.

 

I know how much you hate change, so here's a little help from me to get you through this. I promise, it'll all be okay soon. Not immediately, but soon.

 

Three letters from me, and no more. You've had me for the past 6 years, but now's your time to finally be independent and learn to stay strong by yourself. It'll be hard, I know, but promise me that you'll at least try, okay? Don't make me worried about you!

 

Chanyeol was still biting back his sobs as he read the letter for the millionth time. His eyes were sore since he didn't get any sleep last night. Again. Nothing seem to occupy his brains but the endless darkness that seemed to lay ahead of him since Kris is no longer with him. The only comfort to him was the three envelopes that Luhan had given to him the night after Kris had left, so he's savouring them as much as possible.

 

Kris was gone, just like that. But the stars still shined, they didn't switch off with a simple click like he did when he left. Every night, the stars still shined for Chanyeol. And every twinkle seem to stab something sharp into his chest.

 

This is your chance to pay me back all those time that you borrowed off me. All those 'minutes' that you keep borrowing off me - I haven't forgotten! Follow the instructions that I give to you in the three letters. Only open the next envelope when you have completed the previous letter and your debt will be cleared once you've done everything. No cheating! Got it?

 

But he knew that he needed to be brave. For both himself and Kris. There were things that needed to be done. He had to follow Kris' orders, just like he always had.

 

First thing you need to do for me is to go to a café. I've always wanted to take you there but I never had the chance. Go there and have a cup of coffee. Chill out for the afternoon and I'll count the time that you spend in the café as time that you have paid me back. Sound fair?

 

He followed Kris' instructions and finally arrived at Kris' favourite coffee shop. The smell of fresh coffee beans smacked him in the face before he even had time to double check the store's name to make sure that it was the right one. He folded the letter away carefully into his rucksack and entered the small, yet cosy shop.

 

The waiter's head snapped up as soon as he heard the soft chime of the bells that Chanyeol's entrance had triggered. He paused momentarily from wiping the tables to greet Chanyeol with a bright smile, "Welcome!"

 

Chanyeol responded with a soft bow and moved towards the cashier counter. There was a pale boy who waited patiently at the counter with a soft smile as Chanyeol approached him. His smile gradually fell to be replaced with wide eyes as Chanyeol finally stopped in front of the counter.

 

"Yixing hyung!!" The waiter's sudden yelp startled Chanyeol. The waiter who was wiping the tables came running towards the counter at the calling, "that's him!"

 

Chanyeol opened his mouth slightly, completely confused at the finger pointing at him. The waiter, apparently called Yixing, stood by the waiter at the counter and eyed Chanyeol for a while before releasing a gasp, "you're right! It's him!"

 

"Of course I'm right!" The young waiter bounced and starting clapping his hands excitedly, "He's finally here!"

 

"Ssh calm down, Sehunnie. Let's just double check first," Yixing turned to look at him with kind and hopeful eyes, "Are you Park Chanyeol?"

 

Chanyeol gave a hesitant nod and the waiter high-fived each other with soft chuckles. The bemused boy looked back and forth between the two now conferring waiters with question marks floating above his head. It was a minute or two before the waiters turned their attention back to him, finally remembering Chanyeol's existence.

 

"We know what you want. Take a seat over there and we'll bring your order over in a moment," The waiter Yixing half pushed Chanyeol into a seat by the corner and rushed back behind the counter to join his colleague before Chanyeol could protest further.

 

Chanyeol tried to make himself a little more comfortable in his seat but it was hard to keep his mind relaxed. He glanced at the rushing waiters but couldn't see what was going on behind the counter. He was about to step up and satisfy his curiosity when the two finally moved from behind the counter and towards him.

 

Sehun was carrying a huge cup of hot chocolate with a huge smile on his face. Chanyeol's eyes widened at the huge lump of cream that sat on top of the beverage and didn't notice Yixing that followed behind.

 

"Hot chocolate with lots of cream and marshmallow!"

 

Chanyeol looked up at Sehun with curious eyes, "How did you know?" A simple eye smile was Sehun's reply. "With so much cream too…" Chanyeol mumbled, more to himself than to Sehun, eagerly eyeing his delicious looking drink.

 

"And strawberry cheesecake…" A large plate was placed by the cup of chocolate which snapped Chanyeol's eyes towards it, "with no strawberries."

 

Chanyeol's eyes immediately watered as he finally understood.

 

"Kris…"

 

Please log in to read the full chapter