Distance Doesn't Matter

Distance Doesn't Matter

 

The night just gets lonelier without my fellow members in the car, approaching the destination as I bid a temporary goodbye to this place of warmth and love. Not even the potential greeting of some loyal fans awaiting at the airport excites me, neither the balmy good weather and food in Thailand could help to divert my pinning thoughts on them. Not especially when an important day is just round the corner. 
 
I wipe away the mist that has gathered on the phone screen which was caused by my sweating palms, unintentionally bringing back the window of our group's chatroom which I had deliberately left unclosed. 
 
'They could either be out watching a movie or sleeping.' I let loose a pointless mutter seeing that none of the members are online.
 
'Uhm Tiffany could you help to take a look behind to assist me with the parking?' 
 
Tilting my head back in accordance to manager oppa's request, I began to direct in a hesitant manner, as I am equally bad in such a situation.
 
If only Taeyeon was here. Speaking about this kid, she is amazingly talented with all sorts of parking, even parallel parking, where most drivers had difficulties. Never once had I not showered her with praises in regards to this ability, and somehow, my mood lightened a little upon recalling that charming smirk on her petite face whenever she drives me around.
 
Call it the workings of telepathy or pure coincidence, I heard the chiming sound of my bulky phone, revealing a name that I silently wished for.
 
DdaedaeYeon: *o* yeppeuni~~~ eodiyeyo?
 
Giggling but shaking my head at her obvious question, I pressed my lips while working my fingers to give a quick reply, unintentionally making my poor manager to move those huge luggage bags down the vehicle.
 
FanyFanyTiffany: Just reached the airport leader ssi... 
 
DdaedaeYeon: Eyy~ U know i hate to be called that.... anyways I jus came back from some grocery shopping with maknae
 
FanyFanyTiffany: oo.... arasso.... but..... why are you like reporting to me about ur whereabouts? 
 
DdaedaeYeon: Bcos u're our Ti-Manager 
 
FanyFanyTiffany: the rest shld do the same too then...
 
DdaedaeYeon: they don't really follow u as well as me! kekeke
 
FanyFanyTiffany: Alrights... One more perfume for u from the duty-free store
 
DdaedaeYeon: but perfume isn't wad i need at the moment...
 
Just as I was about to carry on with our endless chat, a gentle tap was given on my arm by manager oppa, cautioning me about a zebra crossing ahead. Moreover, facing us are hordes of reporters and fans. I have no choice but to place my mobile aside before greeting and acknowledging the presence of the media and public as I enter the airport to go on a string of transiting procedures. 
 
 
 
The passion from fans is always very rewarding and fulfilling, lifting my mood a whole lot before another draining 5 hours flight time. Caught up in giving warm responses to each and every following fan, a reply to Taeyeon's last message was momentarily forgotten. It was only in the plane, when we were reminded to switch off all electronic gadgets, had I managed to receive another couple of messages from that cute dork.
 
DdaedaeYeon: Fany ah...
 
DdaedaeYeon: Actually... ur presence is the only thing i need now. Stay safe and come back soon. <3
 
If it had been anyone else, I would brush it off and retort a teasing comment. Yet, such words coming from Taeyeon meant a lot more to me, for she was the main reason behind that bit of emptiness in my heart.
 
FanyFanyTiffany: Arasso...  Do miss me.... Bcos I'm already missing u...
 
 
 
 
The subsequent days were spent settling into the Thai culture without much difficulty, with credits to the local fans and the amiable staffs who went an extra mile in making sure I was comfortable and well-fed. This working trip became far less wearisome with occasional perks from my same-age friend. She started off with sharing pictures of herself and at times, unglam ones of our fellow members in an attempt to keep me informed with their daily lives. However, both of us became frustrated with the inability to hear and see each other at the same time, resorting to video call eventually. We made it a point to do so towards the end of each day, spending hours talking about anything under the sun. Gradually, I grew so accustom to her soft voice that I had a hard time falling asleep during the third night in Bangkok.
 
 
ICT 12.50am. It's been 27 hours since our last chat. 
 
My heart sank a little as I was convinced that she would not make that promised call in the dead of night. Despite the urge to, I dropped the idea of giving her a buzz, believing that she might have fallen asleep after a hectic day. I listlessly untie my hair, carefully putting away the device that I had been paying attention to for the past few hours. My pink phone almost immediately came back to life again, causing me to jump slightly in surprise. But the familiar id name flashing across the screen brighten the night almost instantly.
 
''Why aren't you sleeping?" My first remark echoed through the quiet room as I propped myself up against the headboard of the bed. 
 
"Anniyo... How am I able to sleep without wishing you a happy birthday? Happy Birthday Mushroom!!!!! Woohoo~~~!" She dorkily cheered on the other end, making the kind of wild gestures she did at times during music core.
 
 
"Ah... I almost forgot about it.... Thanks"
 
"The members hadn't send their wishes?"
 
"Uhm... I'm not sure but I don't think so..." Her comment highlighted my negligence to our group's chat conversation. I gulped sheepishly for I am rather sure the others must have dropped at least some short well wishes on this important day.
 
"Anyways... This is the first time I couldn't be with you on this special day. To make up for it... Is magic trick good enough as a birthday gift?"
 
"Hmm.... Depending on the content of it..."
 
"Oh... But I'm confident that you'll like it. I took days to learn! Here comes... Magician Kim~~~ A round of applause please..."
 
I cracked up upon the image of a Taeyeon putting on a comical looking bowtie and a party hat, unconsciously shaking my mobile intensely.
 
"Eyy... Don't laugh... What a way to welcome a magician. Er hem... Ms Tiffany Hwang... Please follow my instructions for this upcoming trick. Now... think about something that you really want currently."
 
Her innocent dilating pupils had my full concentration on them, while her smile had my soul. This exceptional feeling with Taeyeon surfaces from time to time, casting doubts on the way I define our relationship. I began to scratch the back of my redden neck while giving a thorough thought about the command she has given, but the answer emerged rather easily and swift in my mind.  
 
"Ok. I'm done."
 
"Great. Now, the unbelievable is going to happen..... Deng deng deng deng deng......~~~~" 
 
"Open the door and you will see what you wished for!"
 
"Seriously Taetae... Don't try to kid me... I am so gonna get back at you if you made me look like a fool after opening the door with no..."
 
"Suh~~~ PRISE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"
 
Before me is that short dork, greeting me in a cute curtsy with her amajjing engrish. I was half-expecting her appearance and half-expecting a disappointment. But I wasn't able to half my excitement and euphoria as I embrace her tightly without hesitation.
 
"When did you..."
 
"Just arrived not long ago. Which explains my delay in giving you the video call."
 
"Pabo... Why waste your time and effort.. not to mention money... for this...." Pulling myself apart from her neck, I increasingly found it hard to curb my unstable emotions, with unnecessary tears coming as a reception for this loving friend.
 
"Pabo... You're only belittling your importance in my heart if you really want to weigh your important day against all those that you've mentioned." Her warm fingers on my face gently wipe away every single sensitive and delicate emotions in my heart, and once again, those determined eyes prove her selflessness in making me feel special and loved. 
 
We heartily giggle and exchange a few long but awkward gazes before I grapple some courage to ask for something more from this adorable, living 'present'.
 
"Taeyeon ah... Can you perform another magic trick for me?"
 
"Erm.... I'll try my best to if I can...?"
 
"Kiss me."
 
And the magician fulfill my wish perfectly, shyly placing her pouting lips on mine. The way we fit into each other's arms tonight, is a feeling that I will not forget for the rest of my life.