Final

Farewell Journey

 

*THE NEXT DAY*

Daehyun woke up to bright sunlight streaming through his window. The clock read 7:46am. He shifted to watch his girlfriend as she continued her explorations in Dreamland. He frowned as he watched Minjung clench her fist and crumple her tank top, whimpering softly. He reached for his phone but stopped when she relaxed and continued her sleep peacefully. Reluctantly, he shook her awake.

“Mmm, oppa… just 5 more minutes please,” she mumbled.

“Come on lazy bum. I planned this trip and I want us to do EVERYTHING! Otherwise…” he threatened.

“… otherwise?” she questioned.

“I’ll cheat and listen to your bear,” he smirked after hesitating slightly. Minjung leaped out of bed as fast as Usain Bolt.

The couple exited the house to catch a different shuttle bus. Minjung hummed in a happy mood as Daehyun hummed in harmony. When they arrived, Minjung gasped in shock.

“Oppa!!! It’s a ceramics workshop! I’ve always wanted to do this after watching ” she gushed.

“I know” Daehyun replied and winked at her. “Annyeonghasaeyo, I booked a couple adventure for 9am?”

“Oh, Jung Daehyun-ssi?” a beautiful girl asked. She was wearing a half see-through white blouse with a like blue skirt and black pumps. Her long brown hair was held back with a spotted blue ribbon. “I’m Hyerin, and I’m your tour guide for today.” She gave Daehyun a dazzling smile. Minjung, feeling uncomfortable, hugged Daehyun’s arm and shot the “guide” a look. Daehyun chuckled before kissing her head. Minjung looked smug as Hyerin’s smile faded. “Well, first up is just a quick tour of the workshop,” Hyerin said as she lead the two through a door. The tour was interesting and the couple took away many new facts. However, Hyerin continuously flirted with Daehyun as Minjung tried to bat her off.

“Daehyun-ssi, you look like you’ll have a lot of talent in this area,” Hyerin smiled. Minjung scowled.

“Well, I---“ he was interrupted by Minjung.

“Oppa!” she cried as she stumbled into his arms. Alarmed, he caught her before she fell.

“Minjung-ah, be careful” he scolded as he her head then proceeded to tie her laces. Minjung stuck her tongue out and Hyerin fumed.

“Let’s start your cups” she said flatly. Daehyun scratched his head at her change of attitude. During the quick tutorial, Minjung was left alone as Hyerin tried to help Daehyun. She placed her hand on his and guided them. Minjung proceeded to becoming a light shade of scarlet. Minjung was about to swat her hand away when Daehyun cleared his throat and pulled his hand out from underneath. Hyerin scowled. “I’ll leave you to yourselves” before heading off to some unknown room.

Daehyun’s fingers worked magic as he set to work shaping and smoothing, shaping and smoothing. He seemed like a professional and his cup seemed to be better than the demo one. He added some decorations and produced a work of art. Meanwhile, Minjung struggled. She shaped to find it wonky. And smoothed to find it lumpier than before. She paused to look at it before emitting a long sigh in frustration as the weight of the thick side tore the cup in half. Daehyun chuckled before getting up and standing behind Minjung arms around hers. With his hands on top of his, he performed the magic once more.

When he stepped back, the once wonky cup was as perfect as the other. “Unfair… why are you so good?” grumbled Minjung like a five year old. Daehyun tapped her nose with his claycoated hands, leaving abrown streak.

Minjung squealed as she got him across the cheek. Daehyun attacked her cheek but before Minjung could strike again, Hyerin coughed. Both heads turned.

“… if you’re ready now” she said. As they waited for their cups to be finished, the couple sat at the conjoined café.

“Gomawo oppa…” Minjung said into her citrus tea.

“…for what?”

“All of this. Promise me that when I’m gone, you’ll eat well. Sleep well. Meet new people… Be happy---“

“I thought we talked about this before! You are NOT leaving me! You are NOT going to die and you are NOT going to mention this again!” he yelled. Customers stared at them. “Sorry Minjung… I just can’t bear the thought of losing you,” Minjung nodded before Hyerin finally broke the awkward silence.

“You’re cups are done. Thank you and have a wonderful time in Jejudo!”

The two caught another shuttle bus to their next location, a nearby citrus farm.

“Annyeonghasaeyo. Jung Daehyun ipnida. I booked in for 1am,” A middle aged woman greeted him warmly.

“Aigoo, such a good-looking couple. Here’s the stuff. Have fun!!” the motherly woman said. They thanked her in unison, while bowing in a perfect 90 degrees.

Daehyun picked up the picnic basket in one hand and held his girlfriend’s hand in the other, before leading them into the scenic hills. They climbed one of the hills and set up the picnic and food on the lush green grass, under a very large tree. The lingering smell of citrus fruit never left them. They set the lunches on the blanket, gawking at the cuteness. Everything was made around the theme of citrus fruits.

“Oppa… ah~~~” Minjung fed him some salad.

With wide eyes Daehyun stuck two thumbs up. “It’s really good,” After eating, Minjung lazed around. Daehyun laid down with his head on her lap. She his hair and a comfortable silence wrapped around them. Both of them didn’t want this moment to stop. If only they could stop time…

“Oppa… sing a song for me. Ne? she asked in a small voice.

Daehyun sat up and smiled cheesily, “Your wish is my command”

 

Right now I am crying as I look at your eyes
I try to be bright and put on a bitter smile
I want to have you
All your foolish but pretty dreams
and even you clumsiness
Day by day, I make new memories because of you
I remember everything- your soft hands and even your flowing hair

Forever you You are so beautiful
It's rushing to my heart
It's soaking in, it's coming- even all your spreaded scars
Forever you You are so wonderful
Even your cold love and your tears erase my painful scars
I love you, I love you

Minjung closed her eyes and let the sweet voice wash over her, let it drown out the worries and the apprehension of the coming pain.


I want to hold you now
You, who's been standing all alone
at the edge of the cold world
Day by day, my love comforts your heart
I fill in your scarred heart with my memories

Forever you You are so beautiful
It's rushing to my heart
It's soaking in, it's coming- even all your spreaded scars
Forever you You are so wonderful
Even your cold love and your tears erase my painful scars
I love you, I love you

 

Daehyun stared at Minjung as he sang, etching her into his mind, his heart, his memories.


Don't forget even for a moment
Remember how much, how much I loved you
for you

You are so beautiful
It's rushing to my heart
It's soaking in, it's coming- even all your spreaded scars
Forever you You are so wonderful
Even your cold love and your tears erase my painful scars
I love you, I love you

I want to live in your memory

~~You are so beautiful by Xiah Junsu~~
 

When the melody ended Minjung clapped and cheered. Daehyun’s ears went red as she gushed out the compliments. “Let’s go back. I can’t believe so much time has passed!” Daehyun managed to say. They packed up and headed back hand in hand.

“Aigoo~~~ Are you guys back already?” chuckled the mother of the citrus farm.

“Ne~~” they both said. “We were just about to leave,”

“Well, before you go, why don’t you write up your wish. Maybe they’ll come true^^” she led them around to a very old, very large tree filled with pastel pieces of paper hanging from its branches. The couple breathed in awe as they couldn’t tell whether the tree had pastel coloured leaves. “This is this Wishing Tree. All the wishes here have been here since I opened this farm. All the wishes are preserved as we put a special spray on it. Go on, take a piece of paper each,” she urged as she offered a yellow and green piece of paper to them.

The two took the paper and turned to their own secluded area to write down their secret wishes. Daehyun was the first to finish and hung it on the tree. He sat awaiting on the rocking bench. Minjung appeared from behind some bushes and headed towards the tree. With arms outstretched, she tried hanging her wish but she couldn’t. Daehyun’s heart clenched as he watched. Minjung fell limp to the floor, and he sprinted to her side.

“Minjung-ah! Minjung-ah! Come back to me, Choi Minjung!” Her eyes flickered as he shook her body in her arms.

Hearing the commotion the ahjumma appeared. “Ahjumma! Call the ambulance. Hurry!” The lady quickly went to call the ambulance.

“Minjung-ah, Minjung-ah. Stay with me… stay here.” Tears streaked down his cheeks. She was going to be alright. Moments later, sirens filled the air and Minjung was taken in and Daehyun leapt in to sit by her. As he sat numbly besides her as the paramedics checked her, he found a crumpled piece of paper in his hands. He smoothed it out. It was Minjung’s wish.

Wishing Tree… please. Keep me by Daehyun’s side. If that’s too much, just let him move on. That will be enough for me” A choked cry escaped his throat as he fisted his hair, not daring to look at his angel.

 * * *

Minjung lay unconscious in the hospital bed. She looked like a small child in the hands of God. Daehyun cried silently beside her. He felt a light weight on his head. Minjung was awake!

“Minjung… you’re awake. You’re okay. You’re…” he whispered.

“Oppa… check… bag. The bear…” she said weakly. Daehyun rushed to the table and pulled out the toy. She nodded.

The veiled bear spoke with Minjung’s voice. “Oppa… there WILL be a time when I can’t say this to you in person. You are the most amazing person I have met. You are my angel, my prince, my everything. I’m sorry I can’t be with you for the rest of our lives. I’m sorry. Oppa… don’t be sad. I’ll be with God, in Heaven, watching you. Oppa…”

“I love you…” Minjung said. She coughed violently, shaking her body. She bit her lip to refrain from the cries of agony as the earthquake started again. She clenched her stomach under the covers. “Oppa… sing for me… please”

Daehyun sat back down, tears carving rivers of sorrow. He held her hand as he sang. Softly, but clearly.

for meeting you and being able to touch your hair
for meeting you and being able to breath, looking at each other
for being hugged and being able to let the tears flow when it's tough

I'm so fortunate...
for the beautiful world that knows you and placing you here

In the violent wind and under a wet roof, I'm not getting tossed there by myself.
Wearisome of daily life and survival,by some chance is not something meaningless
It's because of amazing person...you... that always be by my side,

for meeting you...
and being able to make meals we share
for meeting you and being able to hold your hands when it goes numb

for hugging you and being able to give you comfort even though it doesn't help

 

As Minjung cried in pain, sorrow and regret she trembled but never let go of Daehyun’s hand. He watched her suffering so much and his voice wobbled. However, he did not stop. It was the last thing he could do for her.


I'm so fortunate
for the beautiful world that knows you
for meeting you and being able to touch your hair...

With the last note, Minjung’s breath hitched and her hands slackened. The monitor cried in a single, endless beep. Daehyun pressed her limp head against his forehead.

“Minjung-ah… I love you…”

 

 

 

GAH~~~ I'm sorry. It's so rushed. I feel terrible. I hope it wasn't too bad. Tel me how it was~~ Comment/Subscribe. <3