I Miss You

I Miss You

I miss your smile.

Junhyung closed his eyes as he drank another glass of soju and laid his head on the cold, hard counter. He stared blankly into the air as memoried of her flooded his mind. He closed his eyes as tears flowed down his cheeks. He hated rain. Because that was when the memories of her, which he hid with effort, came out filling his mind.

 

Junhyung sat on a nearby bench as he clutched onto his stomach. His body was full of cuts and bruises. Chohee was walking home after delivering soup to her friend when she noticed someone sitting on a bench. She gasped when she saw his body. She approached him. “Are you okay?” She asked, concerned. Junhyung looked up. He froze. He stared at her bangs, her dark orbs, her nose and her soft, kissable lips. But he glared at her, “What are you looking at? off.” Chohee ignored his harsh words and said, “Wait here.” Fortunately, her house was just across the park. She dashed into her house and grabbed the first aid kit. She ran back outside and set the box on the bench. Chohee opened the box and started treating him. Chohee treated his cuts and bruises one by one, and Junhyung stared at her as she did. Junhyung thought she was beautiful.

Finished, she closed the box and smiled. “Done. Be careful, okay?” Chohee smiled at him and walked away. Junhyung stared at her fading back until she disappeared into her house. Junhyung’s lips curved up into a small, rare smile. That day, he fell in love with her.

 

I miss your laugh.

Junhyung slammed his glass on the counter and got up, slowly trudging towards his car. He entered his black car and threw himself on the seat. He clutched onto his vest as another memory filled his mind.

 

Chohee and Junhyung sat on the steps of a store, which was closed. He sighed. “Why did it have to rain now?” He stared at the dark sky. It was almost late, they were walking home from the water park. Suddenly, someone poked his cheek. Chohee chuckled. “Cheer up oppa. Don’t be so grumpy.” He smiled at his girlfriend’s cuteness. Chohee stood up and held out her hand to feel the rain. She smiled as the raindrops landed on her palm. She stepped out from the shelter and stretched out her arms under the rain. Chohee loved rain. “Chohee! Get back here! You’ll get sick.” Junhyung called. She laughed. “Oppa! Come here! It’s fun!” She motioned him to come over. Junhyung smiled and shook his head. He got up and walked towards her. He looked up. Drops of rain fell on his face. He glanced at Chohee who was spinning beside him, arms stretched, eyes closed. Junhyung embraced her and laughed along with her. Since then, he loved rain.

 

But most of all, I miss the way you said I love you.

Yes, he used to love rain until.. that day. He grasped his hair as he cried again, glaring at the drops of rain sliding down the window of the car.

 

“Oppa, where are we going?” Chohee asked Junhyung as he pedaled slowly. “You’ll see.” He smirked. “Oppa! Tell me.” She pouted and lightly hit his strong, sturdy back. He chuckled. “Yah, hold on or you’ll fall.” He warned. She sighed and hugged his waist. Junhyung smiled in satisfaction.

He pedaled and pedaled until they reached a place. Han River. A smile formed on Chohee’s lips and she clapped excitedly. “Wah! So beautiful!” She smiled. Junhyung slipped his arms around his girlfriend’s waist and gazed lovingly at her. “I know right?” They sat by the river, admiring the view. Chohee closed her eyes as the soft breeze of the wind hit her face. Junhyung took her hand and lightly squeezed it. He gazed at her. “Chohee.” He called. “Hmm?” She responded, still closing her eyes. “I love you.” He softly whispered. Chohee’s eyes immediately fluttered open. “I love you too, oppa.” She smiled. With that, he leaned in and kissed her soft lips.

 

He softly smiled as he recalled the sweet memory. He eyed a box, a small black box on the dashboard. His smile faded. Tears started to fall again as he reached for it. He slowly opened the box. Inside, was a beautiful diamond ring. His tears fell onto the ring. If only he knew.

 

“Ready to go?” Junhyung asked. “Ready!” Chohee beamed and took his hand. Junhyung guided her to the bus stop and both of you hopped on the bus. “Where are we going?” She asked. Junhyung chuckled. Always so curious. “It won’t be a surprise if I tell you.” He whispered as he blindfolded her. She sighed. “Fine.” He smiled.

Arrived, he guided her to a beach. He had prepared everything for this moment to be perfect. He tied balloons. He prepared the banner with the words ‘Will You Marry Me?’ He smiled and untied the cloth. “Open your eyes.” Chohee opened her eyes and gasped. Junhyung kneeled before her. “Chohee, I met you and it was love at first sight, Our friendship developed into love, and finally you are my girlfriend. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I believe you’re the only one for me. So, Kim Chohee, will you marry me?” He opened a black box, revealing a diamond ring. Chohee smiled and was about to answer him when suddenly her head began throbbing with extreme pain. She clutched her head. Junhyung’s smile dropped and he held her shoulders. “Chohee? What’s wrong? Are you okay?” The next thing he knew, she fainted in his arms. He shook your body. “Chohee. Baby, wake up. Wake up!” He cried. He reached into his pocket and grabbed his phone. He furiously punched in numbers and called the ambulance.

Junhyung was pacing back and forth in front of the emergency room, worry written all over his face. Mr. Kim and his wife were sitting on the chair, glancing at the room every minute. The doors suddenly burst open. Junhyung ran towards the doctor. “Doctor, what happened? She’s okay right?” Junhyung asked. The doctor lowered his head. “I’m sorry. The cancer cells had spread all over her body. We were not able to save her. I’m really sorry.” He apologized. Junhyung froze. The color drained from his face. Cancer? “Doctor, our Chohee has no such cancer!” Mr. Kim argued, tears in his eyes. “Didn’t she tell you? Ms. Kim Chohee had suffered brain cancer for the past 7 months.” The doctor explained. Mrs. Kim immediately broke into tears. Junhyung glared tearfully at the doctor. “You’re lying! Chohee is still alive! She has no cancer! Stop lying!” Junhyung furiously shook the doctor. The doctor lowered his head once again. “I’m sorry.” Junhyung’s legs grew weak. He fell to the ground. Brain cancer? His eyes widened in realization. All the random headaches, nose bleedings lately... How couldn’t he notice? He grasped his hair and cried. Why now? He wanted to stay with her, have children, grow old together. Now all those dreams disappeared. He shook his head furiously and clutched his head, closing his eyes. How badly he wished it was a dream. A bad, bad dream. And he would wake up, with her in his arms.

   

I miss you.