When the Public Disapproves of Your Relationship

Optional Bias Scenarios, Idol Version

You weren’t a stranger to hate messages. Being a celebrity meant that along with the adoration of fans, you also received ugly threats and insults. When your relationship was publically revealed, everyone had warned you of what to expect. Your group was supportive, but it was impossible to ignore their worry once you gauged the public’s reaction.

“Stand next to me when we go out, okay?” Your manager wrapped his arm over your shoulder, as though protecting you from the public.

“Dongshin, I’ll be fine.” His stern expression caused your protests to cease almost immediately. As you stepped outside with your group, you realized the reasons for his concern. It seemed to you that the most extreme of your boyfriend’s fans had congregated at once outside the building. To face the hate directly would be shocking to anyone. Even so, you left the angry fans behind without so much as an engaged glance, leaving your concerns to stew uncomfortably by yourself.

You met up with your boyfriend later on the same day, reluctant to bring up the unnerving disapproval of the young fans. Fortunately, you didn’t have to.

“Have you been getting a lot of hate mail lately?” You were confused.

“You too? It feels like all of your fans hate me!” He chuckled, placing a comforting hand on top of your head.

“I know what you mean.” You sighed. There was no way he could be facing the same level of disapproval. How could your fans be matching the vicious anger of the infamous fangirls? His eyes widened. “Seriously! You have no idea how many guys have sent me messages detailing how they want to beat me up! Your fans are really protective.” His exaggerated gestures made you smile, and you leaned back comfortably on his chest.

“Is this wrong?” you asked, after a moment of silence. “This?” You gestured between the two of you. Your boyfriend’s arms slid comfortably around your hips.

“I don’t think so. Don’t let our fans worry you. They’re young. It’ll be old news in a week.” You laughed, the mood lightened by his positivity.

“Just as long as you don’t leave me for one of those weirdos.” His laugh mixed with yours, and he lifted a finger to lightly touch your nose.

“Of course not! You’re a keeper.”