Final

Smile

 

Kevin Woo always smiled.

Eli loved seeing Kevin’s face light up every single day. There was this certain joy that lit up the latter’s face, brightening his features until Eli could hardly believe that such a creature could exist. Kevin’s eyes would light up, sparkling with happiness for no apparent reason. He was just a happy child.

When they played together, Kevin would laugh this glorious laugh, giggling at Eli’s antics. He would demand the ‘pigeon face’ over and over again, clapping his hands in delight as his friend demonstrated his act tirelessly. Eli would never grow weary of entertaining Kevin, as long as he was able to see the bright smile.

Will you go out with me?

Kevin smiled because of Eli. That was a simple fact. They had grown closer over the years. Kevin realized he wanted more than just friendship, and Eli had always been waiting. This was the moment of Kevin’s brightest, most genuine grin, and it would forever be engrained in Eli’s mind as the Perfect Day.

Eli was overjoyed with their new status, as it gave him an excuse to see that beloved smile. Finally, he was the cause for Kevin’s wonderful, perfect smile. He had an excuse to see that lovely face every day; an excuse to maximize Kevin’s happiness. When Kevin smiled, Eli smiled.

One of his favorite ways of making Kevin smile was by kissing him. Unexpected kisses were the best. Kevin would always tense at the initial shock, and then relax against Eli, smiling against his lips. The kisses were their way of expressing contentment and love. Nothing could tear them apart.

Hyung…I…

Eli knew it was coming. He didn’t want to accept it, but it grew in the back of his mind. Kevin’s smiles became more forced, less cheery. He was quieter, not laughing quite so gloriously even when Eli tried to show him the pigeon face. Small smiles replaced the grins, and the eyes never lit up. Their time was almost over.

I’m sorry.

Even when they broke up, Kevin still smiled. Granted, it was a small smile, but at least Eli could bathe in the small comfort of knowing his last memory of Kevin would be a smile. He forced out a grin of his own, knowing that it would be the only thing that could keep the smile on Kevin’s face, even as he walked away. He didn’t want to see Kevin frown. He didn’t want to see him cry. He wanted his last memory of his beloved boyfriend to be a beautiful one.

I’ll always love you.

Months later, Eli saw Kevin again. He was smiling that same lovely smile, the one that Eli had imprinted in his brain for eternity. The one that had always been reserved for Eli, and only Eli. The one that could only be caused by joy and love for another. There was another figure next to Kevin, but Eli turned away before he could see the new guy’s face. He didn’t want to attach Kevin’s smile with another man. He wanted to selfishly believe that Kevin was still smiling for him, that the months didn’t exist.

But Eli knew better. He knew that the only way he was going to be able to see that special smile again was if Kevin was with someone else.

Just smile…forever. For me.

 


Um, um...I have this horrible disease called "lack of creativity" I feel like this is a very common storyline. I'm sorry T.T *bows to anyone who reads this*