9. the gnarly scar

Grow

Why did you get so mad at Chunji? You knew he was just teasing you. But you did develop unknown feelings for L.Joe, and it confused you a lot. 

During your conversation, little did you know, L.Joe was hiding behind a wall, listening to you and L.Joe's conversation. He smiled to himself. So she doesn't mind that I'm short huh?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

It was the next day, Monday morning. L.Joe had gone to stay at Chunji's for a while since your parents came home. You should be happy, but you kinda did miss him. You shook off that thought. Tch, what am i thinking. Rising from your bed, you headed to the bathroom to get ready for hell, er- high school.

While you arrived at your class, you plopped down lazily at your desk. L.Joe was already seated and he didn’t seem to pay much attention to you. “He’s not even the least bit greatful that I let him stay at my house…” you muttered to yourself. You started doodling on your notebook because it was still early and the teacher hasn’t arrived yet.

L.Joe cleared his throat and smoothly slid two tickets onto your desk. They read:

Lotte World: Admission One

You turned to look at him with wide eyes. Was he asking you out on a date?

“Don’t misunderstand,” he said, his eyes moving side to side. “Chunji suggested this since we wanted to apologize for trashing your house.”

“So I’m going to Lotte World with Chunji?” Your face lit up a bit, smiling like a dork.

“Yah. Why are you smiling? All of Teen Top’s going.”

“Oh. You too?”

“I said all didn’t I?”

“You don’t look like the amusement-park type of guy…”

“Then what do I look like?”

“A grumpy gerbil,” you laughed by yourself at your senseless joke.

“Shut up amazon,” he gave you a death stare.

The teacher finally arrived and class started.

JiAe, the queenka stared at you two. What? Since when did they get so close? She was disgusted seeing you. She put her revenge plan off for a while because some students had seen the little brawl you had with her a couple of weeks ago. People started talking and she didn’t want to uphold a badass reputation. She wanted everyone to see her as an innocent girl, loved by everyone. But the rumors died down, and JiAe was back to lashing out her plan. Who does this think she is? Beating people up then living peacefully acting like nothing happened?

 

 

 

Class ended and everyone began to leave. As you packed up your things, JiAe stepped in front your desk with her arms folded.  

“We need to talk.”

L.Joe began leaving, and shot you a Will you be okay look.

You nodded at him. “Go ahead, I’ll meet you later.”

“I have nothing to talk about with you JiAe,” you said standing up as you towered over her.

“Do you know what happened to my two friends?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play dumb, !” She grabbed you by your color.

“One had a swollen face and couldn’t compete in her beauty pageant that very week. Another, you broke her leg and she was disqualified from her figure skating competition. You ruined their dreams. Trashed their hopes. You think you’re so badass and you can do whatever you want. Well you know what you can’t!”

You furrowed your brows and laughed at her ignorance.

“You don’t know anything JiAe,” you said calmly. “Don’t talk about hopes and dreams to me. I’ve been made fun of all throughout my life just because of my height. Do you know what that feels like? Being bullied for such a common thing like that? No You don’t! That day, you ‘friends’ taunted me. Their words cut through me like a knife and it hurt. If you were me, you would be hella angry as well.”

“So? Their just words, at least they didn’t hit-“

“You see this?” You lifted up your bangs showing her a thick gnarly scar across your forehead. It was merely a line that looked like you’ve been scratched. It was ugly and nasty and there was a huge bump to it. You grew your bangs just to cover it. In any weather, you would always leave it down because of how ashamed of it you were.

JIAe was speechless, seeing your ugly scar.

“This is what your friends did to me.”

You began telling your story as she gawked at the scar in disgust and amazement.

 

 

 

It was lunchtime and you came outside for lunch for the first time in a while. Your best friend Kang Anna had already abandoned you to be with her boyfriend, your brother Ahn Joon. You found a quiet spot under an tree and quickly ran to it, settling down under it before anyone else could take it. You laid out your lunch that you packed yourself and began to dig in with your pair of chopsticks.

“Yah, who are you? This is our spot,” a girl in ridiculously high heels said.

“Move,” the girl next to her said.

You looked up to see them staring down at you with uninterested looks. You didn’t know them and this was the perfect spot to eat. Plus, you were here first.

“No I don’t want to,” you said bluntly.

“What? What did you just say to us?” the heels girl scoffed, not believing what she’s hearing.

“Do you know who we are?”

“No. I just want to eat my lunch in peace. Go away.” You were about to grab for the box of rice when the other girl kicked dirt into it. She smirked.

You were angry now. No one should waste food like that. You got up, and the girls began to flinch at your height. You were at least a head taller than them, even the one wearing high heels.

“Yah! Look at what you did to my rice! How am I supposed to eat now?”

“Of course an amazon would value food like that, who are you? Some country girl from the farmlands? You must be new since this is the first time we seen you.”

“Yeah. Did they send you to the city cause they don’t need you to pick anymore apples?” the girl laughed at her old petty joke.

“Shut up. I just wanted to eat in peace. What’s your problem? And there’s nothing wrong with valuing food, it’s people like you who make third world countries starve.”
“How dare you cuss at us”

The girl in the heels was fuming with anger at your bravery. No one dared stood up to her and her friend, because duh, they were queenkas.

“People like you shouldn’t exist at all. Who cares about third world countries? It’s their own damn fault their too stupid to make their own food.”

You slapped the girl hard on her face. She was so ignorant that you couldn’t contain your anger anymore. She snapped her head back to face you. She reached up to your forehead and clawed it, hard. Slits formed on your forehead and blood began to drip. Her nails were sharp and it felt like a knife had just cut you.

“Let’s see how tough you are with that ugly scare on your face. Your height doesn’t help it either, what boy would sate you? No one can be as tall as you. It’s nothing to be proud of hone, so don’t think you’re all that. Your parents must have been paid big to adopt a thing like you since no one wanted you. From the looks of it you do look like an orphan, sitting here like a freak all baby yourself. You’re just wasting other people’s air, why don’t you go back to the circus where you belong, freak.”

You had enough. You punched the girl with the heels hard across the face and kicked the girl who kicked dirt into you food. They both feel to the ground, grabbing their face/leg, whimpering in pain. You grabbed you stuff and headed to the bathroom. That was the last day you saw two of them. It was merely over a spot to eat and drama stirred up like that. You hated them. Their words, although not true hurt you because you had already knew that’s what everyone thinks about you. Just a tall freak of nature. You were never going to be accepted into society.

 

 

 

You cried and you told you story. JiAe had already let go of you collar and just stared at you, feeling a little bad.

“You see? You don’t even understand. Her face will heal. Her knee will heal. But look at this scar! It’ll stay forever! I’m already a freak, this just adds to it. Girls like you will never understand. I’m not pretty and the guy I like, I don’t even think he’ll ever notice me. I’m way too tall for him and he’ll never accept me. Don’t you see?”

You poured your heart to JiAe that day. Your pains and all the hurt you’ve receive throughout your life time. JiAe wasn’t expecting this. She didn’t expect to see you break down like this. It was heartbreaking to her even if she hated your guts. She just stood there while you cried loudly. Tears dripped, and fluids from your nose leaked. Your heart ached to finally recognize all the pain you’ve kept with you.

L.Joe who was supposed to leave already was standing outside the door, waiting for you. He had heard everything. He knew you were bullied but hearing your sad tone of voice mad his heart ache as well. He ran into the classroom, grabbing you by your wrists. He pulled you to the tree outside of the school as you tried to wiggle free.

“No! Stop it L.Joe! Let me go!” you said in the middle of your tears and hiccups. You didn’t want him to see like this, it was embarrassing.

“Please L.Joe… please,” you lip trembled and your body was weak. All that crying tired you out and you didn’t want to do anything anymore.

L.Joe turned around and pulled you into his arms. He hugged you tightly, rubbing you back, trying to calm you down.

“Yooji-ah… it’s okay, it’s okay.”

It was sort of awkward, because his head was in your chest instead of the other way around. But, you didn’t care because he was so comforting to you. You hugged him tighter as your tears flowed again. You two stayed like that for a while. It felt nice. You smiled through your tears. You felt each other’s heartbeats accelerate a mile a minute. In his arms, you felt L.Joe was a man. A man who would protect you no matter what, despite what anyone says, heigh difference or not. 


Author's Note: Wooo long chapter ;D I decided to add mini drama in here before Lotte World. Sorry if it , but I had a minor writer's block. And I finally started my Myungsoo fanfic. Please check it out if you guys love him as much as I do <3

@lovegirl098: Haha yeahh, i got inspired cuz when I see him in shows he's always shorter than everyone else xD I checked out his height and he's aparently about 5'6 or 171cm, which isn't very tall for a guy o____o. But i love him too, glad you're enjoying my story :D Please subscribe?

@EunHaeSarangHaeEDL and najamuzen: Thanks (: I updatee hurrr