003 - Cream & Oil

Embrace the Night

"So there's this guy named Sehun in my algebra class." Luhan rambled on as we headed towards the school gates. It'd be the first time in a long time that I'd be seen with someone. It'll no doubt taint my image a little. Luhan insisted I walk him to school even though I can't go in because I'm still suspended. "I want to say hi to him but he seems out of my league."

I wish he's just stop talking. Since 6am this morning all he can go on about is school, Sehun, and food. Is this guy really that important to him that it has to ruin my mood too? "Oh and Tao why didn't you get dressed. You look terrible." Luhan scoffed at my choice of clothing. The paint rings on the thighs of the jeans stood out like a sore thumb. And the short sleeved blue shirt didn't help either. Not to mention the boots.

"It's not like I had a choice this morning. You dragged my away before I could even do my hair." I ran my hand through my hair and grimaced at the odd texture. "Sorry I wanted to talk to you." Luhan pouted and pushed me to the side. I fought to keep back a smile because it felt too foreign right now. And it'd probably freak everyone out especially Luhan.

"Are you coming after school to get me?" We stopped in front of the school, I got way too many glares from teachers then needed. "You gonna talk to this Sehun kid?" I said. Because we were speaking Mandarin the likelihood of someone being able to understand the question, seemed next to impossible odds. "What if I don't?" He fidgeted.

"What if I happen to forget to come and get you?" I still didn't see the point of me walking with him, was it for protection from Minho maybe? "Please. I'm terrified Minho is gonna jump me." And he confirms my suspicion. "Is that the only reason we're friends?" The word itself felt like I'd swalllowed boiling hot water and it scorched my tongue. "We're friends?"

He was gonna read too much into the careless statement, I was sure of it. "No, we're strangers. I'll be back for you at 4 but if you're late I'm gonna leave." I quickly and awkwardly patted his back and left. I turned to see him running into the building. When I turned back around to go home I bumped into someone. "T-Tao?" It was a girl. Now is not the time for another love confession.

"What?" I sneered and she flinched a little. Good it means my image is still what I wokred hard for it to be. "Y-you look nice today." Her face turned crimson and she ran past me. I had to admit she looked nice too. That thought alone made me cringe and wanna vomit. I was becoming nicer I could feel it. And it's all Luhan's fault.

I have a soft spot for him, I guess. I've known him for only two days and already he's gotten to me. He must be rubbing off on me or something. All his niceness and fluff is burying itself into me. And I hate it.

My stomach growled from the lack of breakfast I didn't get before being dragged down the street. "No doubt there's no food at home." I sighed. My parents decided last night to go on "vacation" without me. I know it was just to get away from me though so it's okay. They left money but barely enough for anything. None the less if I wanted to order-in.

------------------

"Hello there Tao. Not in school?" The lady behind the counter asked and handed me the usual cup of milk and the plate of sausages. "No ma'm I got in trouble." I started shoving the food in my mouth. The tangy taste of her sausage slightly burned my throat but it wasn't a bad feeling. "Again? Well eat all you want. Call me for anything." She bowed.

She disappeared into the back of the restaurant. It's been like this for some time, I couldn't say when or why. But she keeps me fed and even sometimes gives me money. She does it because she says 'it's her duty as my aunt.' I think it's just cause she pities me. On top of that she hates my mother so we get along, what with all the trash talking she does.

One of the only family members who could care less that I'm cursed since birth. She's the one to celebrate my birthday and the one there for holidays. Her daughter is nice too I guess. Almost on cue the girl sat down in front of me. "Tao how have you been?" She asked and snatched a sausage from my nearly empty plate. "I've been better. You?"

"Meh." She shrugged and leaned back in her chair. She looked flushed, she was even sweating. I looked at the thermometer sitting on the wall, it said it was only 70 degrees. (farenheit, you can do the conversion to celsius.)

"You okay?" I asked and scooted the cold milk towards her. "I'm sick you ." She kicked my leg under the table and chuckled. "Me? You're the one running around all night. It's your own fault you got sick." And that earned another kick. "Stop that!" I said and nudged her back. "Stop that!" She mocked back and downed the glass of the white liquid.

"Who was the kid you were walking with today?" She asked as if she knew everything. "How did you know I was walking with someone?" I raised an eyebrow at her and she mimicked the action. "I saw you walking while I was doing morning errands. So who is he? Your new boyfriend?" And at that I almost choked.

"No way! Just someone who I'm helping." She smirked and made air-quotes, "Helping?" And this time I kicked her under the table. "Ah! Mom he's hurting me!" She yelled in the empty resturant. "Play nice Tao." My aunt said from the back and my cousin stuck her tongue out at me. "You too Qian!"

"Mom! My name is not Qian! It's Victoria." She yelled back with a look of utter disgust. Her mother came bursting out of the kitchen. "I will call you what I named you! It was your great grandmother's name and you should be proud." My aunt yelled. "Mom! Don't just start lecturing me about names. So what if grandma was so great?"

"She was a great woman. One of the first females to teach Wushu and I'm sure she could kick your . Now go with Tao and pick up some more beets." She hit Victoria on top of the head with a rolled up apron. "Then when you get back, you're gonna get back to work. You slack off too much." She hit her again.

"Ok mom just stop hitting me! Geez, let's get out of here before she beats you too." Vic grabbed me by the arm and yanked me towards the door. "See ya later Tao, love ya." My aunt screamed out the door as I was once again dragged away. "He doesn't love you." Vic yelled back. 

"Pick up beets she says. I love you she says then proceeds to smack me again. My mom is so weird." Victoria sighed. "At least your mom is around. My mom has been missing for a long time." Victoria was the only person who let me talk to them. And the only person I'd feel even remotely good talking to.

"I know." She swung an arm over my shoulder. "So explain to me why you're not in school." Her mood aura seemed to go down so much since the mention of my mother. "I got suspended for a fight." We had arrived at the market. "Oh. Was it that kid Wu Fan?" I stopped walking at the name. "How di-" but she cut me off.

"He came into the shop yesterday with one stinker of a black eye. Had a pretty busted lip too. I think you might have broke his nose." She made a noise of disgust.

"I hope I broke his nose, would serve him right." When in reality if I broke his nose I'd feel a little bad, I mean I hear corrective surgery is expensive. "What did he do?" She pulled me to the side of one aisle where no one was. "Was it Tao or the other Tao?" She asked. Thank God everyone in the family know already about the curse.

"It wasn't me exactly. And he got on my last nerve and tripped me." I explained as she reached behind me to grab a produce bag. "Did he hurt you first?" "No I guess not." She just snickered again and started to fill the bag with beets. "Then I trust you when you say he deserved it." She smiled at me and I almost died from the sudden cheerfulness.

"But aren't you against fighting and all that ?" I stopped her from putting an obviously rotten beet into the bag. "Thanks. And your family so naturally I'd support you." She patted my head and tied off the bag and put it in the basket on her arm. "You're the only one." I sighed and followed her through another aisle.

"Your parents, as mean as it is, don't even like you. But I love you and I'll always love you. Even if your cursed or damned." Her smile softened and was almost completely gone by the time she picked up a pack of cookies. "Your mom gave us money for beets not for sweets." We both busted out laughing. Subsequently getting scolded by the elderly women around.

"You a poet now? And besides I'll use my own money. I don't work for no reason you know." She pulled out a bright red wallet and handed me the basket on the way tot he register. "There's always a place open if you want to get a job. The pay kind of but you know whatever." She paid for everything and we headed back out.

"So tell me about that kid from this morning, what was his name?" She poked me with a cookie then shoved it in my mouth. After dislodging the food from my throat I answered, "Luhan." She got that weirdass grin of hers. "So tell me about Luhan."

                         ----------------

"Tao!" Luhan yelled and ran towards me with arms open. "I'm not hugging you. Here take this I don't want it." Before he could even think about embracing me I shoved the little box of cookies at him. "You made me food?" He asked, a smile beaming at me. "No. Let's go before people start thinking weird things." I could feel all their eyes on me.

"So did you talk to Sehun?" I asked. He turned crimson once again and his smile faultered, "No." I shoved the cookie in his hand into his mouth. "Eat, it'll make you feel better." Victoria would have a field day if she found out about this. I mean I still remember what she had to say when I told her we were getting close, me and Luhan.

'Your oil and he's cream. You don't go together and you don't match but somehow you can both be put into the same dish.'  That girl worries me sometimes.

 


*a/n: hello today. I hope you liked this chapter. I think it's actually just a filler until he gets back to school.

So how do you like victoria being related to him? and Lulu being so nice. not to mention Hunhan , we'll see.

well until next time I leave you with this.

xiatao:  cr. @黄子韬已经被我上了_Thanatos

( cr:  @黄子韬已经被我上了_Thanatos )