002 - Burns

Embrace the Night

"It's too early for this ." I mumbled and rolled off the side of the bed. "Why is my life like this?" I mumbled into the sheets tangled around my body, refusing to even get up. I wouldn't even need to be getting up if it hadn't been for that new kid. What was his name? Kris or Wu Fan, his name could be asswipe and I wouldn't care.

Apparently almost killing someone and trying to fight with the police warrants suspension. I'm lucky I didn't get arrested and thrown in a prison somewhere. Now I have to go into school on a Saturday to serve detention and sadly it'll be like that for the next month or so. It wasn't my fault I decided to change during the fight. It's not my fault that side of me decided to make another appearance.

The growling in my stomach probably sounded like the growl I released when I was pulled off Wu Fan. "I'm starving." Having been pulled out of school before lunch time yesterday really ed up my eating schedule. It's not exactly like I can have a luxury meal everyday so school meals are very important to me. It's his fault I'm so hungry.

"ZiTao! Get down here if you want a ride!" My mom yelled from down the hall, and I could hear her arguing with my father. "I'm coming." I didn't try yelling back. "Tao!" She persisted. Maybe if I just lay here on the floor she'll shut up and just go to work already. "Huang ZiTao! Wake up this instance you ungrateful child." I heard her coming upstairs.

"Mom go away, I can just walk." I casually said as she knocked on my bedroom door. "Tao I'm leaving with or without you. Which will it be?" She started pounding on the thick door seperating me from the harsh reality of living with my parents. "Mom go away! I'll walk God damn it!" I finally yelled back and the knocking slowly came to a stop.

"Do not use such language in my house! This is a Christain household and you will respect that." It's the same lecture I always get from the religious freak at my door. "Mom there is no God! Now leave!" I knew i'd get hit if she could get to me, but the locks on my door successfully kept her out. It kept everyone out and everything I despised.

"Fine be that way. It's not my fault you have detention." I heard her fianlly start heading down the hallway. " you mom!" I yelled and I heard a door slam. Father's gonna try to kill me when he gets home later today. I'd like to see him try, considering he's terrified of me as it is. My mom's scared too but she thinks she's safe because I won't hit a woman. That's her mistake.

I didn't even feel like standing up because I'd probably fall back over again. Parts of yesterday are a blur except for the after effects of the fight. I don't even remember when I tackled him to the floor or how I ended up on top of him, beating him repeatedly in the face.

I crawled out of the sheets and over towards the general direction of my closet. After all even though I had to be there in 20 minutes I wasn't in a hurry. Screw the administration because what's the worse that they could do to me? Give me more detention because that's such a big punishment to begin with.

I got on my knees, still refusing to stand up, and pulled on a pair of jeans. I toppled over and still mananged to slip on the pants and get them buttoned. I went to get up but a shirt found it's way under my feet. "." I let out and grabbed the shirt, slipping it over my pounding head and my bruised torso. Thank goodness detention doesn't require school uniforms.

---------------------

"So you actually showed up?" The assistant principal chuckled and checked my name off the list. "You're in luck today ZiTao." She smirked and glanced at anything or anyone other than me. "And why is that?" I asked and looked for what was so exciting about the nearly empty courtyard. "Mr. Wu Fan is still recovering from your little fight."

"And why does that make me lucky?" I really just wanted to get this day over with so I can crawl back into bed. "Because his health isn't good he couldn't be here today." She was still beating around the bush and irritating th elast nerve I had for the lady. "Why would he have to be here?" At the question she suddenly got serious.

"Because Mr. Wu Fan was involved in the fight also. Which means once he's able he'll be joining detention." That thought made me burst out laughing this time around. "Wait so you're gonna put him in the same room as him? Isn't that dangerous?" A boy stood next to me, a little too close for comfort, eyeing the assistant principal.

"Mr. Choi what a pleasant surprise to see you here. I thought you'd decided not to show up this time." It was almsot liek I had become invisible to the conversation and I didn't hate it. "Well you know I just wanted to see your face." He said and her cheeks lit up like she was on fire, the red creeping up to her ears. "Oh you flatter me too much." Wow this woman is either the biggest airhead in the world or just oblivious to the latent sarcasm.

Choi Minho the school's resident star soccer player. His grade point average is one of the highest in the school, and he's currently sitting in third place in rankings. Minho is fairly nice to everyone except when it comes to Lee Taemin, the other resident nerd. Mess with that kid and you'll have the entirity of the soccer team on your .

"Well it's nice your here Minho. You're in Mr. Hunag's cleaning group for the day." And with that she whispered something to Minho and made her way over to another group of students. "We're cleaning the gym today. And you better not slack off because if we get done early, I get to go home." Minho slung an arm over my shoulder like we're friends or something.

"You just wanna see Taemin when you get home." I let it slip and he just squeezed my shoulder tighter. "Yes I do. Now let's go get this done." I could tell he was trying not to loose it on me at the meer mention of his not-so-secret boyfriend. "Who else is in our group?" I asked even though the possibility of him actually knowing the answer was low. "I guess we'll see won't we?" 

"Well well if it isn't little Lulu." Minho let me go once we were in the gym and ran over to a kid sitting on the sideline bench. "Leave me alone Minho." I recognized that voice from the other day. It's the kid who ran into me in the apartment hallway a coule days ago. The kid that refused to tell me his name when I gave his books back. The kid that lived only a couple of apartments away from me.

"Oh Lulu don't be that way. I take it you're in the cleaning group too?" Minho easily seemed to tower the kid even when sitting down. "Yes I got detention and please just leave me alone." This 'Lulu' seemed so unbelievably uncomfortable and small. "I'll leave for now but I'll be back later. Afterall I still owe you a couple punches."

Minho soon disappeared into a supply closet across the gym. "I wish he'd stop bullying me." I heard 'Lulu' mumble and lean back against the wall. "Excuse me but are you jsut gonna stand over me like that all day?" It took me awhile to figure out he was talking to me as I took the empty seat next to him. "Sorry."

"You here to beat me up too?" I noticed the blue bruise on the side of his face, just under his eye. "No." I relaxed against the wall too and in return he sat up. "What did you do to make him so mad at you anyways?" I didn't normally pry because it wasn't my business to begin with. But I've never seen Minho target someone like this.

"I hit Taemin." He sighed and startd fidgeting in his seat. I just started laughing because he has got to be the stupidest person in the entire world. Hitting Taemin was a huge taboo thing to do, it was basically like you had hit Minho. "Why are you laughing at me?" He sneered and finally looked at me. The bruise looked alot worse front-on.

"Because everyone knows not to touch a hair on Tae's head. Your one of the only people I've seen put htier life at risk like that." I tried to stop laughing, I swear I did, but once I started I just couldn't stop. 'It's not funny and I didn't know." He turned away again and I noted his terrible posture. Of all the things to nit pick at, it had to be people's posture.

"How can you not know?" I was still laughing and Minho emerged from the supply closet finally. "Becuase I've only been at the school for five days. And four of them have been spent int he infirmary." So he's another new student? How convient considering he didn't look Korean. "What'd Taemin do to deserve your slap?"

"He tried to take my wallet so I smakced him. i didn't know he had a bodyguard." He flenched when Minho came towards us again. "I guess I'll sweep the top bleachers. You two can fight over who gets to clean the gym floor, it's looking pretty nasty." He laid down a coiple mops and a broom in front of us. I noted that he was right about the floor being nasty.

"Keep an eye on Lulu for me, will ya Tao?" Minho patted my shoulder and gave it another deadly squeeze. "Why should I?" I asked and Minho kicked 'Lulu's foot. "Because I can't have him running away too sooon can I? If he leaves before me I'll miss my chance to beat his . And if I miss that oppurtunity I won't be very happy. Will I?"

"I'm not babysitting for you." I grasped his wrist and took his hand off of me. "Whatever. But if he gets away because of you, your gonna get it next. Don't think jsut because you nearly killed Kris, that I'm scared of you or something." Minho scoffed then headed for the stairs leading to the actual bleachers.

"He's so gonna kill me." I snapped my head up at his voice. "You speak Mandarin?" I asked and slightly turned hiim towards me. "Y-yeah. I'm from Beijing. W-why?"

"Because I'm from Quindao, Shandong." I said in mandarin and I saw a visible layer of relief wash over Lulu's expression. "I'm an exchange student. You?" He asked, alot happier than he seemed only a few seconds ago. "I moved here over two years ago to 'study'." I had to admit it was slightly exciting to meet another Chinese student. Wu Fan was Chiense but he didn't count.

"I'm Luhan." He extended his hand and I hesitated in taking it. "I'm Hunag ZiTao. But people call me-" but he cut me off. "Tao? I know of you, I mean I saw the fight yesterday." He animatedly shook my hand. "You two better get to work or I'll schedule the beating early." Minho said from above us and again Luhan visibly flinched.

"So Tao, can I call you that? Or do you prefer ZiTao?" Luhan asked and started sweeping the outline of the wall we were leaning against before. "Call me whatever." I did prefer my real name, especially to people I just met and barely know. "Hey wait. Don't you live in my building?" I laughed a little at how long it took him to recognize me.

"Yeah." I started sweeping in the opposite direction of Luhan. "Lulu! Throw me a water will ya?" Minho yelled and the broom Luhan was holding hit the ground with a loud smacking sound. "Y-yes Minho." Luhan immediately grabbed a water bottle out of the case sitting on the benches. How I didn't realize they were there before was a mystery.

"Any day now!" Minho yelled again and I could tell he was getting way too impatient. "I'm trying." Luhan said and I turned back to see what was taking him so long. The water bottle was stuck int he plastic packaging and Luhan was having major issues trying to get it free. "Just rip the plastic." I suggested and leaned against the broom handle.

"I can't." Luhan still somehow managed to keep his voice low enough to avoid Minho hearing it. "Lulu!" I saw Minho descending the stairs, headed right for Luhan. The kid looked like he was about to have a full scale panic attack or something. "When I tell you to give me something, you give it to me." Minho was a little red in the face.

"Luhan watch out!" I yelled, probably alot louder than needed, and it echoed around the emoty gymnasium. Minho's fist came down on Luhan's shoulder and the kid crumpled to the dirty floor. "Do I have to beat it into you?" Minho raised his arm again but I grabbed it in time. "Just leave him alone Minho."

"Oh and are you gonna make me?" Minho threw his own mop to the side, and it clattered next to Luhan. "No but do you wanna get in even more trouble?" I asked and let him go. "If you get more detention, your TaeTae time will be cut again." I knew he hated the pet name for Taemin that the girl's of the school liked to use.

"Do not call him TaeTae! And this is none of your business." He snickered and I noticed the assistant principal slip into the gym doors. She didn't look too happy at the fact that Luhan was still curled up on the floor, or that Minho had started to raise his hand again. "Mr. Choi! You ot your hand down right now!" She yelled.

Minho's hand immediately found its way to his side and he looked scared or something. "Luhan get up." I said but the boy just laid there like a misplaced log or something. "Get up now." I said in mandarin and Minho looked at me weird. What? Was it such a weird thing for someone to speak in their natural language? He asks like he's never heard a foreign language before.

"Luhan, I'll take you home." I said and helped him off the floor slowly. The assitant prinicpal ended up dragging Minho away, telling us that detention was canceled because there was a storm coming in. "Thanks Tao." Luhan dusted off the back of his pants. "I didn't even do anything but your welcome I guess. Just don't tell anyone."

The last thing I needed was for my reputation to be tampered if word got around that I was 'helping' someone. "Don't worry I won't. Are you really gonna walk me home?" He said it like it was some big deal or something, like we were dating. I cringed at the thought. Minho probably thought we were into eachother, with the way I stood up for him. Hope he doesn't spread that around.

"Sure. Now let's go before we get caught in the rain." I said and started heading outside. It wasn't until I was already outside and half way into the courtyard that Luhan to catch up with me. I knew this day was going to be long and boring. On top of that I caught sight of a familiar figure walking down the sidewalk.

I thought Wu Fan was at home or in the hospital still.


*a/n: hello today. let me start off by ranting about the crash that happened to the site. along with alot of other users, I lost stuff.

I had this chapter written and published, and I'm unsure how many people saw that before it  disappeared.

The original chapter I had written was completely different. There was no Minho and only mention og Luhan. But whatever right?

and secondly i'd like to say thank-you to the readers and subbers. please don't  be silent.

You can find me on tumblr if you wanna talk that way.*