Six Minutes

Six Minutes

 

Song Joongki’s POV

 

I finished my espresso up to the last sip and looked at my watch. I took a deep breath. It’s been an hour and a half since I’ve been waiting for her here at Suju’s Coffee Shop. I guess she’s not coming, I told myself. Tch, I shouldn’t have trusted Gwangsoo when he said he’d set me up on a blind date. Maybe this whole blind date thing was a set up after all.

 

I was about to leave the place when all of a sudden, rain started pouring down. Oh great, I don’t even have an umbrella. Without a choice, I sat back down. This is really becoming a pathetic day.

 

After a few minutes of playing with my phone and staring at the storm, I decided to order something.

 

“Siwon-ah,” I called a friend of mine who works here.

 

“Oh! Joongki-hyung!” He sat at the other side of the table. “You haven’t left yet?”

 

“How could I? The wind’s too strong and I didn’t bring an umbrella.”

 

“You could buy one of our umbrellas.”

 

“Nah, I really don’t feel like leaving yet anyway. Besides, your umbrellas are too cheap and they break easily.”

 

“Hey! We’re trying to earn profit here!” Siwon leaned back on his chair. “I thought you had a date or something. Were you stood up?”

 

“Either that, or maybe there wasn’t a blind date to begin with.”

 

“That’s okay; there are plenty of women you can talk to here.”

 

I looked around. The place seems to be getting packed.

 

“So, why’d you call me?” he asked.

 

“I’ll have another espresso, thank you.”

 

“Geez hyung, give me a break, will you?” Siwon whined. “You have no idea how tiring it is to wait for hundreds of customers every day.”

 

I crossed my arms. “I thought you said you’re trying to earn profit? And look, Heechul-hyung’s staring at you.”

 

Siwon looked at the counter and saw his manager staring at him. He immediately stood up.

 

“Heechul-sunbae!”

 

Heechul-hyung didn’t change his expression. He had a firing look on his face. “You better not be slacking off.”

 

“A-aniyo, I’m just taking his order,” he explained.

 

“Then take his order and get back to work… or else.”

 

“Ne!” He bowed and turned back to me. I could only chuckle seeing the suave and handsome barista (as he describes himself) being reprimanded.

 

“Shut it,” Siwon playfully punched my arm.

 

“Oh, and get me a slick of that Angelic Chocolate Cake with it.”

 

“Coming right up, Sir,” he replied, adding emphasis on ‘sir’. He turned around and left. I think I pissed him off a bit. Well, he’ll come around.

 

I stared again at the window. Hmm, the rain’s definitely not showing any signs of stopping. I’ll have to get back home sooner or later regardless of the weather. Just then, a young woman with a swollen cheek (dripping wet, if I may add) was standing in front of me.

 

“Excuse me,” she softly said. “May I sit here?”

 

“Um… I guess you can.”

 

“Really? You might be waiting for someone.”

 

Not anymore, I said in my mind. “No, go ahead. The seat’s all yours.”

 

She gave a slight bow. “Kamsahapnida.” She took a seat opposite of me and took off her jacket.

 

“Bad weather, isn’t it?” She asked.

 

“Yeah,” I agreed, though it was kind of awkward to talk to her.

 

Siwon came back with my order. “Here’s your espresso and your cake, Sir.”

 

“Gomawo.” I gave him my payment. “The change’s yours.”

 

“Jinja?”

 

“Ne.”

 

“Gomapda, hyung.” Siwon smiled. He was about to go to another table when the lady called him.

 

“Excuse me,” she said.

 

“Yes, miss?”

 

“I’d like an iced latte to go, please.” I looked at her. Is she serious?

 

“Uh… sure.” He turnedwhispered in my ear. “Who is she?”

 

“Don’t know,” I replied. “I just offered her as seat.”

 

“Oh,” he nodded.

 

“How long will it take?” she asked.

 

“About six minutes,” he answered, “unless you’re in a hurry we can…”

 

“No! I’m not in a hurry. Six minutes is enough,” she told him.

 

“Okay then.” He walked away, scratching his head.

 

Trying not to mind the person in front of me, I took a bite of that cake I ordered. It tasted just like its name, angelic. Even the espresso was just as delighting as the first one I ordered. But no matter how hard I tried to concentrate on the cake or the coffee, I could only think of the person in front of me. She was staring at the window, but it wasn’t just an ordinary stare. It’s like she’s thinking deeply while watching the cold rain tapping at the gleaming silver pavement. Six minutes, eh? Should I talk to her? Should I get to know her? I mean, we can’t spend the time just ignoring each other, right? Babo, I told myself, it’s not like you’ll meet her again after this.

 

But still…

 

“Yah,” I began and I immediately caught her attention, “Are you an idiot or something? Buying an iced drink with your hair and clothes soaked?”

 

“Yah, ajusshi, are you going to talk that way to a person you just met?” she answered me. What manners!

 

“Mwo? A-Ajusshi? Naega? Aish, this woman, really!” I put my fork down. She’s starting to get on my nerves. “For your information, I’m in my late 20’s. You seem to be younger than me, so you better show some respect.”

 

“You’re not showing any respect yourself, so why should I respect you?”

 

I sat up straight. I shouldn’t have started this in the first place. Seriously, though, she’s becoming a pain. “Yah! Chugale?!”

 

“Try to do so and you’ll be the first to die,” she said, “I’m a black belt in Taekwondo and I instruct at a martial arts school my family owns.”

 

“I bet you couldn’t lay even a finger on me.”

 

To my surprise, she just did. THIS WOMAN LAID A FINGER ON ME.

 

“YAH!” I shouted and stood up, causing the whole shop to turn their attention to me. Embarrassed, I sat back down. This person is really something.

 

One minute, and the earth began to shake.

 

Not wanting to say another word, I went back to eating my cake. Chocolate was the only thing I wanted right now. How can she be so… fearless?

 

Before I knew it, I found myself staring at her once again. She kept on watching the storm like the fight didn’t happen. Why is she being like this? No, Joongki! You can’t afford to get into another fight with her! It’ll only cause trouble! That’s right, I shouldn’t talk to her. Who knows? If I opened my mouth one more time, she might send a gang to kill me!

 

She then rested her head on the table. Doesn’t she know there’s a person in front of her?

 

“Yah, are you going to be like this until your order comes?” I asked her. She glared at me, and sat up slowly (and scarily). I gulped. Now you’ve done it, the voice in my head said.

 

“Don’t talk to me. I’m not in the mood.” She leaned on her chair and looked at the window, again.

 

“Look, I’m sorry for showing some attitude, but you should know that iced coffee won’t do you any good. Look at yourself, you’re all wet!”

 

“You could’ve just spoke to me nicely,” she said, “Besides, you don’t know anything about me, so you shouldn’t care about what I do to myself.”

 

“Are you trying to get sick?” I asked… stupidly.

 

“Just get back to your cake, will you?” she told me with her eyes not leaving the window.

 

I kept stabbing at my fork, losing appetite. I don’t know why.

 

“Is there something going on?” I asked gently, “Do you have a problem?”

 

“Why would you want to know?”

 

“Come on,” I insisted, “your face tells it all.”

 

She stayed quiet for a while before she gave me an answer. “A guy I really liked toyed with me. It turns out he was a womanizer who hangs out at a club every night. I gave him a slap on the face, but I got a slap in return.” She touched her cheek, not saying anymore. I fell silent, not knowing what to say.

 

Two minutes, and my heart began to break.

 

“I’m sorry,” I told her after a long moment of awkward silence. It was all I could come up with.

 

“Next time you want to have a random fight with a stranger, DON’T,” she advised me. “You’ll only embarrass yourself.”

 

“I was dumb, I know.” I took a sip of my espresso. I got to make her feel better.

 

“You know,” I began, “You’re not the only one who was played.”

 

“Are you telling me you in a same situation as well? Tch, now that’s hard to believe.”

 

“Hey, I could’ve been enjoying a date by now if only she showed up.”

 

“What kind of person is she?” she asked.

 

“I don’t know. I never met her.”

 

She chuckled.

 

“What?” I asked, annoyed at her response. “Never heard of a blind date?”

 

“Who on earth would enjoy a blind date with a person they never met before then? It’s stupid.”

 

I didn’t answer. I took another sip of my espresso.

 

“Were you really hoping for her to come?”

 

“Well… I was expecting her to.”

 

“You don’t have any idea about girls,” she leaned back on her chair with her arms crossed. “Girls don’t want to be set up with a total stranger.”

 

I smiled. “Oh, really? If I’m a person who doesn’t know anything about girls, then you’re one who doesn’t know how to pick the right man.”

 

“Hey--” she began, but I cut her off.

 

“Didn’t you fall in love with a womanizer?”

 

She paused and then sighed. “You’re right.” She sat straight. “I am a woman who’s naïve when it comes to men,” she spoke proudly… a little too proudly, maybe. She flipped her hair and smiled; it was a smile I’ve never seen before.

 

Three minutes, and she made me feel brand new.

 

I replayed that scene in my mind in slow motion, her hair flowing freely in the air and her beautiful smile blinding me. Seeing that moment play again and again made my heart skip a beat.

 

I looked away from her, erasing that thought from my mind. I began stabbing my cake once again.

 

“So,” I spoke, “I guess you’ve finally loosen up a little.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You were heartbroken a few minutes ago. Remember?”

 

“Oh.” She put a soft smile on her face and looked at the window. She turned to me again. “Well, seeing that I do feel a bit happy, maybe this heartbreak will be easy to forget.”

 

“That’s it, girl,” I told her, “forget about him. You’ll find someone a thousand times better, I swear.”

 

I heard her mutter something too softly that I couldn’t understand what she said.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t get that.”

 

“What?”

 

“What you just said.”

 

“Oh! Uh,” she cleared before continuing, “It’s nothing, don’t mind about it.”

 

Come on. “How could I not? You might be cursing me or something.”

 

“I’m not,” she assured. “So, how about you? Do you feel better?”

 

“Huh?” Now what is she talking about?

 

“Babo, weren’t you complaining about that blind date that didn’t happen?”

 

I gave her a straight face. “I wasn’t heartbroken. I was just disappointed.”

 

“Whatever,” she said. She smiled again.

 

There’s something about that smile of hers. Whenever she smiles, I feel butterflies in my stomach. Her smile makes me want to smile along with her. I thought about what I thought of two seconds ago. Aish, I must be going crazy. I can’t be attracted to her.

 

“Hey,” she spoke once again. “I realized we haven’t even introduced ourselves yet.”

 

“Why should we?” I said, trying not to look at her the way I did just now. “It’s not like we’ll meet again after this.”

 

“I don’t care. I just want to know your name.” She extended her hand towards me. “Jeoneun Seo Haerin imnida.”

 

I just looked at her. It’s definitely clear that such a woman exist. “This is the first time a woman offered me a handshake.”

Seo Haerin… that’s a pretty name.

 

“Ireumi mwoyeyo?” she asked politely.

 

I looked at her then gave a small chuckle. I had no choice but to accept her offer. “Jeoneun Song Joongki imnida.”

 

I welcomed her hand in mine. It was soft and warm. It was small but it felt like it fitted inside my hand perfectly. As we were shaking hands, I looked at her straight in the eyes. Her eyes were of a creamy hazelnut color. I’ve never seen such eyes before, so lovely. I couldn’t take my eyes off hers. Now I know I’m going crazy.

 

Four minutes, and she’s everything I see.

 

I didn’t realize that our handshake lasted for so long until she let go of my hand, and honestly, I wanted her hand back in mine. But that wasn’t the only thing I lost. Her eyes were now set at the counter.

 

“I wonder if my latte’s ready yet,” she said.

 

“NO! IT’S NOT!” I exclaimed, and a few people and baristas looked at me once again. Even she looked at me weirdly. “I mean, didn’t the waiter say that it’ll come in six minutes? Only four minutes have passed.”

 

“Wow, you must value time so much that you even count it.”

 

I calmed down. Somehow, I hope her latte won’t come at all. I guess I’m becoming too engrossed in our conversation to even care about anything else than having her with me. Joongki-ah, aren’t you becoming too possessive with someone you just met? Well, I don’t care. I just want to know her more.

 

“So,” I said, changing the topic, “Are you leaving once your latte comes?”

 

“Yup!” she said without hesitance. My heart fell.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“To the central park.”

 

The park? In this weather?

 

“Eh? Wouldn’t the park be all soaked up that you couldn’t take a stroll? You might slip.”

 

“You’re right,” she agreed. “But I really do feel like going to the park.”

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s the only place I’d go to when I want to clear my mind. The park is like a sanctuary to me. It’s like the only place I’d feel at peace.” She took a deep breath. “How about you? Where’s your sanctuary?”

 

“This place,” I told her.

 

“Waeyo?”

 

Hmm… I never really thought of the reason why I chose this place, but Suju’s Coffee is really peaceful for me.

 

“Well, I don’t know,” I tried to answer. “But I can tell you something. This table where we’re sitting right now is my ultimate favorite spot here. Whenever I want to go here, I’d always ask my friend who works here to reserve this table. Drinking coffee here while staring at the window lets me feel at ease.”

 

“Ah… So you must be a warm person.”

 

“Maybe.” I smiled at her and she smiled back. There’s that smile again.

 

“Wait a minute, how come you’re curious about where I’m going?” She looked at me with a suspicious look.

 

“Nothing,” I answered quickly, but I think she saw the lie in that. “I-I just wanted to know.”

 

“Why? Do you want to go with me?”

 

‘Yes’ was the only answer I had, but I couldn’t bring myself to say it. I want to go with you.

 

Five minutes, and she’s where I want to be.

 

Before I knew it, Siwon came with her latte. It hasn’t been six minutes yet.

 

“Here’s your latte.” Siwon handed it to her.

 

“Wah, finally, it’s here!” She smiled once again, and her hazelnut eyes were shining brightly. She looked out the window. “Oh look, it’s not raining anymore.”

 

“I see.” Isn’t there any way to stop her?

 

She handed him the payment. “Here, it’s an exact payment.”

 

“Kamsahapnida.” Siwon bowed.

 

She stood up. “Joongki-ssi, it was nice talking to you. I hope we meet again soon.”

 

“You know where to find me,” I said softly, wishing she didn’t have to go.

 

“Annyeong hi geseyo.” She bowed.

 

“Annyeong hi gaseyo.” I replied. She turned and walked away.

 

I watched as she left the place. Once she was nowhere in sight, I felt… lonely. I wanted to take another sip of my espresso, but I didn’t have thirst to. When I looked at the empty seat in front of me, I saw her jacket still there.

 

“Her jacket,” I mumbled. I stood up and grabbed it.

 

“Yah, hyung,” Siwon called me. I didn’t take my eyes away from the jacket.

 

“What?”

 

“You want to be with her, don’t you?” Siwon handed me an espresso to go. I looked at him, confused.

 

“I didn’t order another.”

 

“Don’t worry. It’s on the house.” I looked at the other Suju baristas who were all watching.

 

“Yah, Siwon-ah, you’ve been spying all along, haven’t you?”

 

“Just go,” he pushed me, “It’s not every day you meet a woman like her.”

 

“Gomapda.”

 

I quickly ran out the coffee shop with the jacket and espresso and went after her. I don’t know what I’m doing, but it just feels so right.

 

Another minute and she made me feel so new.

 

“Haerin! Haerin-ah!” I shouted as I reached closer to her.

 

She turned around, surprised. “Joongki-ssi!”

 

“Yah, babo!” I said, catching my breath. “I’ve been calling out for you the moment you left. How can you just leave without your jacket? You really know how to tire someone out.”

 

“Ah, gomawo.” I handed her jacket. “I didn’t realize I wasn’t wearing it.” She chuckled.

 

“Tsk, tsk, tsk. Next time, don’t take your jacket off. Now let’s go.”

 

“Huh?” she looked at me confused. “Where?”

 

“I thought you wanted to go to the park?”

 

“Yeah, but…”

 

“Aish,” I was becoming annoyed that I grabbed her hand and pulled her. “No more. Come on.”

 

“Uh… Okay.” Still a little confused, she followed to my side.

 

My heart kept on beating as we walked hand in hand along the muddy park while drinking coffee. Everything we talked about, every minute we spent, and every moment she made that contagious smile of hers became priceless to me. I hope this day never ends. I may look like a fool to her now, but I was thankful that I didn’t stop myself from a chance I only had once.  God, I really hope she feels the same way as I do.

 

 

I fell for her… and it only took six minutes.