Third Time's the Charm, I think?

Third Time's the Charm, I think?

Onew cheerfully walked into the café, answering the nearby waiter’s greeting with a smile. He walked over to the counter, where a familiar face was setting out dessert. “Taemin-ah.” The boy in question looked up. “Oh, Onew-hyung! You’re here early!”

Onew smiled. “I was wondering if you could help me. I need you to be my gift adviser again.” Taemin frowned. “Did you and Key-umma have a fight again?” Onew quickly shook his head. “No! Everything’s just fine. Better than fine actually, which is why I was thinking of taking it to the next level.”

Taemin cocked his head. “I thought you two did it ages ago?” Onew scowled. “Is all you ever think about these days? I think that boyfriend of yours is a bad influence on you.”

“And I think you’re spent too much time with Key-umma. You’re even sounding like him now. And Jonghyun is not a bad influence; he just makes me appreciate certain things more.” Taemin said with a smirk.

Oh god, what ever happened to our innocent Taeminnie? Oh god, I do sound like Key.

“What I mean, little mister ert, is that I want to propose.” Taemin’s jaw dropped. “Really? It’s about time! I was afraid I would lose the bet! Oh crap, you weren’t supposed to know that. Changmin-hyung’s going to kill me!”

Onew put his hand on Taemin’s panicking head. “I’ll ignore what you just said if you help me buy a ring.” Taemin immediately perked up. “Alright, Kai! I’m leaving early, fill in for me okay?”

A disgruntled boy came out of the backroom. “Again? This is the third time this week! What’s in it for me?” Taemin smirked. “Don’t complain, you love that you work the front counter every time LuHan comes for coffee.” Kai flushed.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about hyung.” Taemin flicked his forehead. “You know exactly what I’m talking about. Just hurry up and admit that you like him already. Seeing you two flirt is just getting old.” With a final smirk, he took off his apron and dragged Onew towards the door.

On second thought, I think Key’s a bad influence on Taemin.

As the couple neared the door, another person entered. “Ah, LuHan-hyung! You’re early!” Taemin spoke up, with a cute smile. The person in question smiled back. “My class ended early, looks like you’re leaving early too.”

“Family emergency, one of the upmost importance. My brother’s boyfriend is proposing and the poor soul has no taste when it comes to gifts.” Onew bowed his head, not even denying Taemin’s comments. “Oh, well good luck with the proposal Onew-hyung.” Onew nodded his head in thanks.

“If you don’t mind, we’ll be leaving now. Bye LuHan-hyung!” Taemin pushed Onew out the door, but turned around. “Oh, almost forgot. KAI!! YOUR BOYFRIEND IS HERE TO SEE YOU!” Without a second glance at the blushing KaiHan couple, Taemin left the café, dragging a shocked Onew down the street. "Taemin-ah, I thought they weren’t dating?”

“They aren’t, but after that push, they should be.” Onew shook his head.

Yep, definitely a bad influence.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few days later, a nervous Onew the box in his pocket. Looking over at the opposite end of the table, his face relaxed as his gaze met Key’s. “Wow Onew, I’m impressed. I don’t see any chicken on the table.” He laughed. “Well, I wanted to make a good dinner for you, so it was worth not having chicken tonight.”

Key smiled brightly and Onew took the other man’s hand. “Listen Key. I’m not going to beat around the bush. And I wanted to know if-.” A loud beeping went off. “Is that the oven?” Key asked as they jumped out of their seats. Onew’s face went white.

Crap! The pie!

Running to find the fire extinguisher, he rushed to the oven. The oven was almost invisible due to all the smoke surrounding it. It took the couple awhile to put the fire out. When they finished, Key looked at Onew exasperated. “Onew, I love you. But next time, leave the cooking to me.” Onew bowed his head. “Yes dear.”

So much for the romantic dinner proposal

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“You mean to tell me that you wanted to reheat the pie, after I told you not to! You know you’re a disaster in the kitchen, that’s why we asked your mom to cook the dinner for you!” Taemin’s furious voice filled the apartment.

He even has Key’s temper too. They really are brothers.

“I know. I screwed up. That’s why I didn’t go through with it. I’m lucky Key even forgave me for ruining the kitchen.” Onew said putting his head in his hands. Taemin stopped his ranting as he heard the pitiful voice. Sighing he kneeled in front of the man.

“Hyung, you need to try again. The fact that Key forgave you for almost setting fire his precious  kitchen is proof enough that he loves you. He still yells at me when I leave crumbs on the counter and I’m his brother.” Onew looked up and the look on his face made Taemin instantly want to hug him. “How?”

“Just pick him up after work Friday and take a stroll through the park. It’s where you had your first date after all, so the significant setting will make you two be all lovey dovey and he’ll have to say yes.”

“Are you sure it’ll work?”

“It will. What’s the worst that could happen?”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“So some brat on a bike ran over your foot just as you were about to kneel down?” Onew put his head in his hands. “Yes, and Key was so adamant that we go home so I could rest.”

Jonghyun shook his head as he waved over the bartender “I swear, you have the worst luck sometimes. And you could have used your injury too!” Onew looked up with a confused face. “How?”

“You could have just asked him after you got hurt! Key probably would have said yes to make you feel better.” Onew frowned. “I don’t want him to accept because he pities me. I want him to accept because he actually wants to marry me.”

Jonghyun passed a drink over to Onew. “I think this is a sign that you need to wait. Wasn’t this you’re your third try?”

“The second” Jonghyun took a sip of his drink and perked up.

Wow, he is like a puppy. I think his ears perked up too.

Onew was so into his thoughts that he almost didn’t hear his friend. “…perfect! He’ll be sure to say yes! After all, third time’s the charm!”

“Um, Jonghyun, what were you saying?” Jonghyun scowled. “You mean to say that you haven’t been listening to me at all? I’m trying to help you!”

Onew flinched at Jonghyun’s tone. “Sorry, I was just over-thinking. What’s your suggestion?” Jonghyun smiled and pointed to his untouched drink. “Take him to your favorite club, get a few drinks to loosen yourselves up and say it! He’ll definitely say yes!”

Onew frowned. “Are you sure it’ll work?” Jonghyun clapped him on the back. “Of course he will and when Key says yes, he’ll be too wrapped up in wedding planning to pester me and Taemin when we’re trying to be alone!”

“You mean to say you want this to work so you’ll have a better chance of getting laid?!”

“Of course, this is me we’re talking about!”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s been awhile since we came here Onew, what’s the occasion?” Onew smiled nervously. “No reason, just thought you needed a break from work.”

I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. This is a Jonghyun idea, it’s bound to fail! But it’s so stupid that it could actually work! What should I do?!

Key took a sip of his drink. “I don’t think that’s why, this is the third weekend that you’ve done something special for me. I think you’re hiding something.”

Why does he have to be so observant? This is what I get for dating a designer, he notices everything!

Onew started moving his hand towards his pocket. “W-well Key. I wanted to know if…if..” Key cocked an eyebrow, “If..?” He took a deep breath.

Come on Onew! Just say it! Key’s drunk enough to say yes anyway!

“I wanted to know if you will m-.” Onew stopped instantly as he saw a red and black blur jump into Key’s lap.

“KEY-UMMA!” Taemin yelled happily as his hugged his brother. Key instantly went into umma mode as he cooed, “How are you Taeminnie?” The cute smiling face immediately turned into a pout. “I came in with Jonghyun and he left to go get drinks. I think he forgot I’m here since it’s been 20 minutes.”

Key’s smiling face instantly turned into a scowl. “Yah, what is that pabo dino-head thinking, leaving my innocent Taeminnie alone in a room full of drunken erts?!” Without another word, Key gently pushed Taemin off his lap and stormed in the direction of the bar, all the while muttering: “That pabo dino-head!”

Taemin turned towards Onew, “How are you Onew-hyung?” Onew simply stared before narrowing his eyes. “Taemin, you knew I was going to propose tonight. You knew I was already nervous, why on earth would you interrupt?!”

Taemin’s face slowly turned into a scowl not too different from the one his older brother was sporting just a minute ago. He slid over and leaned towards Onew.

“Onew-hyung, did you have too many drinks? Because that’s the only logical reason why you would be stupid enough to listen to Jonghyun and propose to Key in a club of all places. Do you want him to break up with you?”

Both turned towards the bar, where Key was violently shaking a very drunk Jonghyun. Quickly sobering up, he turned to Taemin. “Thank you,” he whispered bowing his head in shame. Taemin smiled. “Anytime hyung.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next day, Onew slowly walked into the café, barely acknowledging the greetings of a nearby waiter. He took his usual spot by the window.

Three attempts, all for nothing. Maybe Jonghyun’s right, this is a sign. I should probably just wait.

“Ah, there he is! How was the proposal?” A familiar voice brought him out of his thoughts. Turning, he saw the bright smile of LuHan. “Horrible.” LuHan looked shocked. “Don’t tell me he said no?” Onew shook his head. “How can he say no when I didn’t ask. And it wasn’t even because of me this time. Taemin told me not to.”

“Well I don’t blame him. Have you been listening to Jonghyun-hyung too much? Because proposing in a club is the type of stupid thing he would think of.” Another figure walked up, wrapping an arm around LuHan.

“Kai! That’s not what you should be saying” LuHan scolded his new boyfriend. “Come on LuHannie, you were thinking it too. Besides, I’m not insulting him, just the people he asks for advice.” Kai narrowed his eyes. “I think you need a new approach Onew-hyung.”

Onew perked up. “Really? What do you have in mind?”

Anything’s better than Jonghyun’s ideas.

"Just think what Key-hyung likes to do. Nothing obvious, like shopping, because it's not special. Something only a few people know about him." Onew started to think of all the things he knows about Key. "He loved to water-ski when we were in school, but he doesn't have time for it anymore."

Kai nodded his head. "Good, but I wouldn't suggest you two go water skiing since you would probably end up in the hopsital. How about a boat ride instead? He'll still be on the water." Onew started to smile. "That's brillant!"

"Just one problem," a head popped up behind Kai, making the boy jump. "Taemin-hyung! Why do you always do that to me?" Taemin shugged. "It was funny. Anyway Kai, are you sure that's a good idea? Knowing Onew, he would drop the ring in the water." All three looked at the man, realizing the problem. Onew spoke up.

"What do you think I should do?"

"I have an idea."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“O-onew, will you please tell me where we’re going?” Onew gently steered Key to their destination. “You’ll find out in a minute, just hang on.”

“What are you doing? Onew!!” Key screamed as Onew lifted him up. “If you don’t put me down this instant, I’ll never forgive you.” Onew quickly put his boyfriend down. “Calm down, I didn’t want you tripping on the steps. You can take it off now”

Taking off the blindfold, Key gasped as Onew spoke. “I remember you saying you loved water skiing. It’s not the right time for it, but I thought a boat ride would be close enough.” Key cocked his head. “Why? What’s going o-.” A finger landed on his lips.

“No questions for now, let’s just enjoy the ride”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jonghyun-hyung do you see anything?” LuHan asked while trying to find the couple. “No, these stupid things aren’t working.” Jonghyun replied hitting his binoculars.

“That’s because you’re looking through them the wrong way, pabo”

“Kai, behave!” LuHan hissed. Kai just shrugged. “Yah, don’t talk to me that way. I’m your hyung!” Jonghyun yelled hitting the boy with his binoculars.

“A pabo hyung, that’s for sure.” Came a curt reply.

“YAH! Will you cut it out! I’m trying to see one of the most important moments of my brother’s life take place and I don’t need your arguing ruining it!” Taemin yelled while looking through his binoculars.

“But he started it!” Both of them said at once.

“Do I look like I care? Now sit down and shut up before I push you both off this bridge and leave you in the water!”

“Yes Taemin.” Kai and Jonghyun said meekly, not wanting to push the very annoyed man. They, along with LuHan looked nervously at Taemin, all the while thinking.

Key is definitely a bad influence.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Half an hour later, Onew stopped the boat and turned to Key. The man’s face was flushed with excitement from the boat ride, it was obvious he missed being on the water. Onew took a breath and walked towards his boyfriend.

“Key, I’m going to say something and I don’t want you interrupting until I finish. We’ve had an amazing three years together. It’s not been easy, especially with your temper.” Key’s face turned angry for a second. “But I wouldn’t have it any other way. I know what we have is special which is why I want to be with you for the rest of my life.” With that, Onew kneeled in front of Key and looked into his eyes, holding out a ring.

“Kim Kibum, will you marry me?”

Key was silent.

“If you didn’t realize Key, I’m finished now. You can say something.”

Silence

“Key?”

Silence

“Oh god, it’s too soon isn’t it. I’m sorry! We can forget I ever said anyth-.” Onew fell silent as Key’s lips landed on his. As they parted, all he saw was Key’s smiling crying face.

“Yes.” Smiling, Onew stood up and lifted Key into his arms swinging him around. His tightened his grip on Key’s waist so much, that his grip on the ring loosened. The next thing Key saw was the ring falling into the water.

“ONEW! THE RING!” Onew laughed and kept swinging Key around. “Forget it, it’s not important.”

“Not important?! You just dropped my engagement ring into the ocean!” Onew smiled as he put he down. “No I didn’t.”

“Yes you did! I just saw it!”

“Taemin, Kai and LuHan were afraid I’d drop it in the water, so they gave a cubic zirconia one made just like it. Good thing they did, since I did end up dropping it. But don’t worry, the real one is in our apartment. Speaking of which, let’s get going, Taemin invited everyone over to congratulate us.” He was met with a silent fiancé. “Key?”

“Lee Jinki,” Onew paled. Key was speaking quietly and used his full name, which meant that he was furious. “You mean to tell me that you brought me out all this way, blindfolded no less, put me on a boat, steered it in the middle of the lake all to propose to me with a fake ring?!!!”

Onew gulped. “Y-yes.” Key smacked Onew across the cheek.

“Honestly, I should drop you in the ocean and leave you here! And Taemin! I can’t believe he and his friends actually suggested this, maybe I should find them and drop them in here with you. Ugh! I can’t even give you the beating you deserve because you got this cheap pathetic excuse for a boat that keeps rocking! I can’t believe I said yes to you!" At this, Onew brightened.

“But you did say yes, didn’t you?” Key stopped his rant. “What?” Onew took Key’s hand.

“You still said yes, because even though I screw up, this being a perfect example of that, you still love me.” Onew said with a cheeky smile. Key just stared looking shocked.

“You- you’re...”

“Absolutely right.” Onew finished still smiling. Letting out a deep sigh, Key shook his head. “I guess I can’t win on this can I?” Onew took Key into his arms. Kissing his forehead, he whispered. “Forgive me?” Key looked up. “Yes.” Onew smiled and leaned down for a kiss.

“But if you ever try to pull a stunt like this again, I will not hesitate to beat you within an inch of your life. And then I’ll tell my appa.” Gulping at the thought of Key’s frightening father, he nodded vigorously.

“Yes dear.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you liked my first story! Don't be afraid to comment! :)