Off to China

Betrayal Brought Us Together

“Finally, I’ll see you soon.”

 

Sehun almost jumped out of the plane as it landed at the airport. He was filled with adrenaline rush that he just had to let it out so the moment he got off the plane, he skipped around the airport. He was so excited, not only because this is his first time on foreign land but also because this would be the day he would see her.

By the time Sehun got out of the airport, he was already feeling weak so once he hailed a taxi and told the driver the name of the hotel he would be staying at, he closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep. He didn’t even care to take in the sights around because he knew that he would see them and more once he was with her.

 

----------

 

“Hyeri sunbae… I-I… I li---” Before the words “I like you slipped out of Sehun’s mouth, his lips had already found Hyeri’s. Hyeri did not wait for Sehun to confess because she already knew about the boys’ feelings for her and it was not really a secret that she liked him back. “I like you, too.” She said when they pulled apart and it made Sehun’s pale face turn bright red and drowsy-looking eyes turn sparkly.

 

In Sehun’s eyes, Hyeri was the epitome of perfection. She was a graduating student who had earned a lot of honors, not also in academics but also in sports. Although she was busy acing her exams, she still had time to practice for volleyball. She shined not only in the class, but also on the court. That’s what Sehun loves most about Hyeri. But that wasn’t what first brought Sehun into Hyeri’s world. It was her smile.

The moment Sehun met Hyeri was during one typical day at dance club. A new choreography was being taught to them by the club’s president in preparation for the annual school festival. As always, Sehun was put in front since he was considered as he was the best in dancing and fastest in picking up the steps among the juniors. He was so concentrated on perfecting the first three counts of the new choreography that he hadn’t notice a person peeked inside the practice room and stormed inside. He was only distracted from his concentration when the music stopped and a loud shout of “Hyeri!” came from their club president’s lips. Sehun would have found this annoying but as a giggle made its way into his ears, he could not help but look through the mirror at the girl hugging their president. His vision suddenly blurred like the whole world was in slow motion and the only thing crystal clear was the girl with a very bright smile that could melt the snow in Sehun’s lonely heart.

“Sehun!” Woori, the dance club’s president, called out and snapped Sehun out of his daydream. Once his eyes caught Woori’s, she motioned him to come over.

Sehun’s legs were trembling from nervousness and excitement as he stepped closer and closer to them.

“Hyeri, this is our club’s best dancer. I say, he’s going to be my successor.” She smiled proudly as she put a hand on Sehun’s shoulder. “Sehun, this is my best friend and probably my number one fan, Hyeri.”

“Hi, Sehun. I’m Hyeri.” A hand was held out in front of Sehun and he reluctantly grabbed it. “S-Sehun. It’s n-nice to meet you, Hyeri s-sunbae.”

“This boy is cute. I like him.” Hyeri giggled as she pinched the boy’s cheeks and Sehun felt his face getting hot.

“Stop molesting my dancer and get back to class. We have a dance to perfect.” Woori pulled Hyeri away from Sehun and he could feel disappointment from the sudden lack of contact.

“Fine, I just wanted to check up on my best friend who hasn’t been showing her face for a week now. See you around, Sehun.” Hyeri waved towards Sehun and smiled brightly enough for him to go blind before skipping towards the door and closing it.

 

-----------

 

“Hey, we’re here.”

Sehun almost jumped from shock as he felt someone shake him. He looked to his left to see the driver smiling at him and pointing at a tall building beside them. “We’re here.”

Sehun nodded and paid the driver before getting off together with his backpack.

“Finally, I’ll see you soon.” He repeated the words he said the moment he got to China.

 

With his Mandarin 101 handbook on his left hand and back on his right shoulder, Sehun made his way into the hotel and checked in. His parents had already reserved a room for him so it only took him a minute or two to have his room card given to him. He politely thanked the receptionist and got on the elevator.

“Room 434… 434… 43--- There.”

With a clicking sound, the door to Sehun’s room opened and he plunged into the bed. He was so energetic while at the plane that he was now feeling drained so he decided it was time to sleep and prepare to meet Hyeri tomorrow.

 

----------

 

“What? Y-You can’t make it? But it’s our first year anniversary.” Sehun whined on the phone.

 

It has been seven months since he last saw Hyeri and he misses him so much that he just wants to get mad at Hyeri for leaving him behind in Korea. Sehun could not really do anything about it since he had no control over Hyeri’s decisions and one of them was going off to China to study. The moment Hyeri dropped the news of her acceptance to Tsinghua University, Sehun could not feel as happy and proud as he was supposed to. It didn’t help that Hyeri was counting off the days left for her flight to China. So Sehun just took a deep breath and faked a smile as Hyeri practically squealed in excitement. He got used to it, though. No matter how painful it was for him to know that his girlfriend would be miles away from him, the contented smile on her just drowns his anxiety away.

 

“I’m sorry.” It was all it took for Sehun’s disappointment to slowly go away.

“I know. It’s all right. Let’s just celebrate our anniversary like this.” Sehun tried to make his voice sound neutral but failed. Hyeri didn’t notice though. “I knew you’d understand me.”

“Yeah. Just tak---”

“Oh, I have to go. Bye, Sehun.” Click.

“---e care. I love you…” He ended, knowing that the she was not on the other line anymore.

With a depressed sigh, he threw his phone gently on the bed and opened his book. It was exam week and he planned to rejuvenate his energy and bring back his motivation by talking to Hyeri but it seemed like it only took out all the energy in him. Nothing seems to plant itself in Sehun’s mind.

“If only I could come and see you…” He sighed the exact moment an idea popped in his mind. “Maybe I should come and see Hyeri. I could surprise her and she would be running into my arms, thanking me for being such a caring boyfriend.”

Sehun didn’t get any studying done for the rest of the night. Instead, he had filled two pages on his notebook of his plans for his trip to China: how much pocket money he needed, which airline to choose, which hotel to stay at, where to surprise his girlfriend, what to buy for her, where to go to for a date.

He fell asleep with his head plastered to the notebook on top of his notebook and his hand still clutching the pen.

 

----------

 

“To Tsinghua University, please.”

 

The ride on the way to Tsinghua University was probably the most nerve-wrecking ride Sehun had in his entire life.

He did not know where Hyeri was, thinking that asking her where she would be for the day could make him suspicious and his plans ruined. With his limited knowledge in Mandarin, knowing only the very basics and cursing his handbook for not being much of a help to him, he could not really ask people if they knew any Korean girl with medium-length, light brown hair that looked so shiny and fluffy, big, sparkly eyes that could light up the whole city and a height that was just right for Sehun to wrap his arms around her waist. No, his handbook apparently did not teach how to make long descriptions.

So looking like a lost puppy, Sehun roamed around the university. Having his small eyes opened as wide as it could get, he wandered and scanned places so unfamiliar to him that it was making Sehun scared.

Just as he was about to turn around and look over the building he skipped, he bumped into something… or, someone.

“Ouch.”

“Oh, I didn’t mean to bump in--- Oh, I mean… 对不起.” Sehun panicked as he remembered he was in China and that there was a big chance the person he bumped into didn’t understand his first few words. He bowed towards the person and hoped that he was kind to just leave Sehun alone.

“아니야. 괜찮아.” Sehun lifted his head so fast that he heard a cracking sound but he could not care less because he just heard his native language spoken by the person in front of him. Hoping the person would be Korean, he looked at the person and was confused to see a young-looking boy a little bit shorter than him with doe-like eyes, sunshine-colored hair and pinkish lips. It would have been normal for him to see someone like him but what was confusing was that he definitely didn’t look like Korean. So did I hear it wrong? He thought as he examined the boy’s features. He was sure he was Chinese.

“저기요. 괜찮아요?” The boy spoke and waved a hand in front of Sehun who almost jumped in surprise.

“너. 너… 한국인인가요?” Sehun stammered. The boy smiled at him in response. “No, I’m Chinese but I’m taking up Foreign Language and I major in Korean.”

“Oh.” Sehun sighed in relief as he was met with the realization that he finally found someone who would understand him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: First part posted! Do you guys all hate me now because Sehun has a girlfriend? lol. Hope not.
Anyways, second part will be posted tomorrow! It's 2:17 in the morning here and my mom is nagging already so I should go to sleep. :D

LOL. Okay, edited the chapter. Was notified by my dear twin that I posted it twice. Not the first time it happened. So embarrassing. lol.