Will You Marry Me?

[ONE-SHOT] A Proposal
"Are you ready, babe?"

You were on the phone with your boyfriend of three years, Kevin. He was twenty-five and you were twenty-four. You two had met when you had accidentally bumped into him on the streets, which had led to numerous coffee meetings, which had led to multiple dates, which had led to your current blooming relationship.

"All ready!"

Kevin was taking you out for a picnic to celebrate your third anniversary. It was a little cheap, yes, but any time spent with him was better than nothing. You didn't need luxurious dates or expensive gifts - you just needed him to be there with you.

"I'll be there in ten. See you!"

Kevin hung up and so did you. You walked down the stairs to wait outside your apartment building in your yellow, sleeveless and knee-length summer dress. You were also wearing a white cardigan with sleeves to your elbows. Your feet were donned in a pair of white heeled sandals. You were holding on to a brown picnic basket, packed to the brim with containers of food you had taken time to prepare earlier that morning.

True to his word, Kevin pulled over by the sidewalk in his yellow Chevrolet Corvette C7 ten minutes later. You hopped into the passenger seat and greeted him with a kiss before carefully placing the picnic basket on your lap. Looking at him up and down, you noticed he was dressed in a pair of nicely fitting jeans and a light blue button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. It was left open and inside he was wearing a white v-neck t-shirt. On his feet was a pair of white Nike high-cuts that had the ends of his jeans tucked into them.

"Like what you see?" He teased you, looking at you for a lingering moment.

"Yes," you didn't bother concealing the truth. "Eyes on the road, now."

Kevin drove towards the Han River park while the two of you chatted amiably. He was holding onto your hand with his left while his right controlled the steering wheel. It happened so frequently that you didn't bother telling him to put both hands on the wheel. You already knew him inside out, and he, you.

A good twenty-minute drive later, Kevin pulled into a parking lot. Taking you by the hand, he took the basket with his free hand and led you to a big shady tree where he laid the picnic blanket. The two of you sat down and started unpacking the food you had prepared.

"I've got the whole day planned out for the both of us, so you don't have to worry your pretty little head about it," he smiled, wrapping an arm around your shoulders.

"That's surprising. You never plan anything," you teased, sticking your tongue out at him.

Kevin only pinched your nose for two brief seconds before he continued eating.

"This is really good. You'd make a good wife," he praised.

Your cheeks flushed pink.

You leaned your head on his strong shoulder and chewed on your food slowly and lazily. Kevin, being the faster one to finish his share, your hair gently while you ate. He sometimes played with its ends, and sometimes kissed the top of your head. These actions were little but made your heart flutter all the same, even after three whole years.

"On to the next activity!" Kevin cheerfully exclaimed as he packed the empty containers and placed them inside the picnic basket.

It was getting dark and people were starting to pack up and go elsewhere. Kevin led you to the car and placed the basket inside. You excused yourself to the bathroom and he said he'd wait for you. When you came back, however, he wasn't there. Instead, a little post-it note was on the windscreen in his place. Recognizing the handwriting, you picked it up.

"I know I said I'd wait, but I can't. You'll find out why. Now, walk to the spot where we had our picnic. Trust me on this, okay? I love you."

Curious, you followed his instructions and walked back. You then found another post-it on the tree you had eaten underneath.

"Do you know what was the first thing that attracted me to you? No? It was your eyes. Your warm, brown eyes. They were always twinkling like the bright stars in the night sky. Every time I look into them, I am reminded of how lucky I am to have you. I am reminded of lucky I am to have you love me like how I love you. Walk east and stop at the fourth bench."

Tears welled up in your eyes as you read the note over and over again. You folded it into a neat square and put it in your cardigan pocket to join the first note.

You followed Kevin's directions. You walked east and stopped at the fourth bench, which was two hundred metres away. It was where the two of you had sat on one of your earlier dates. Where he had first kissed you.

You picked up the note waiting for you.

"Do you remember what happened on this bench? We had just finished watching a movie and we both didn't want to leave so I brought you here with cups of hot chocolate in our hands. I had built up the courage and did what I had wanted to do since we first started meeting for coffee. I kissed you. And you kissed me back and it felt like heaven on earth. Your lips were soft and you tasted better than what I had imagined. I still remember our first kiss vividly even though we've had many more in the past three years. You make me feel like I'm on a whole new high whenever our lips touch. You know that I love you, right? Walk north until you see the swings."

Yes, Kevin, I know. And I love you, too, you thought. By now, you had a pretty good idea on what he was planning but you didn't want to get your hopes up. You folded the note and pocketed it, walked north and a smile spread on your face when you spotted the swings at the playground.

Kevin had pushed you on the swing and later stopped to ask you to officially be his girlfriend. You could have thought of more romantic places but the swings seemed perfect back then.

Your eyes landed on the pink slip of paper on the post and you instantly started reading.

"I remember pushing you on this swing. Your hair followed behind you as you went up, and you looked stunningly beautiful. The smile on your face put one on mine, and that was when I realised I had fallen for you. Hard. And I knew I had to make you mine so I asked spontaneously. It wasn't how I planned for it to be but I don't regret a single bit. If I had waited longer, that greasy Michael would have made an advanced move on you. (I still don't like him.) Walk west."

You couldn't help but laugh at the mention of Michael. Michael was your co-worker at the cafe you used to work in, and he hadn't hidden how he liked you. He had constantly asked you out even though you rejected him every single time. He was especially persistent whenever Kevin was within hearing range.

You kept the note like how you kept the others. Tears were already flowing down your cheeks freely but you didn't bother wiping them away. You walked west, destination unclear. Kevin, where are you, you thought.

You had to walk a hundred metres before you spotted a bouquet of flowers lying on a nearby bench. You noticed you were at the children's play area, and the water fountain was nearby. You took in the scent of a dozen red roses and read the note.

"You must be wondering where I am. You're nearly there. Walk to the water fountain. I love you."

Pocketing the note and firmly holding on to the bouquet, you ran towards the direction of the fountain. And there he was.

Kevin was standing in the middle of the fountain and the water was off. He was looking down and playing with his feet, waiting for you to come. Then, he looked up.

Your eyes met and Kevin spread his arms open with a warm, inviting smile. You ran straight into them, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"Hi," he whispered.

"Hi."

Kevin used his thumbs to wipe your tears and kissed your tear-stained cheeks. He then wrapped his left arm around your waist to pull you in closer. Using his right hand, he snapped his fingers.

The water jets came on and water passed over your heads. Since you were standing in the middle where there were no jets, you two stayed mostly dry. You watched as the fountain changed its lights from red to pink to yellow to blue to many other different colours.

"Stay close if you don't want to get wet," Kevin grinned cheekily.

You knew his intention and smacked his chest lightly.

He snapped his fingers one more time.

Colourful bursts of reds, blues, greens, oranges and pinks lit up the night sky above you. You looked up and stared at the fireworks display. You didn't expect fireworks. They were expensive and lasted only a few minutes. Still, you watched in awe as different designs exploded in the sky.

You felt a tug on your hand and you looked down.

Kevin was on his knee, his left hand holding your right. In his right hand was a black velvet box. With a flick of his wrist, the box opened.

Inside laid a beautiful ring. A diamond rested in the centre of the band, sparkling brightly. The band itself was encrusted with tiny diamonds, making the ring twinkle even more. Your free hand flew up to cover your mouth as new tears flowed and you tried to stifle your sobs.

"We may be pretty young right now but I've never been so sure of anything else in my life. Every time I look at you, I am reminded of how I should be grateful to have you. And I am. When you look at me with that loving gaze of yours, I feel like the luckiest man on earth. When we kiss, I feel more alive than I've ever been. When we're together, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. You make me feel complete, and I know there's no one else for me but you. I'll tell you this. I love you, sincerely, with all my heart and there's no one else I want to spend the rest of my life with. Will you marry me?"

Kevin looked up at you with a hopeful gaze, as if his eyes were pleading for you to say yes. He didn't have to.

You immediately nodded your head, not even with a moment's hesitation. Kevin slid the ring onto your finger, and you noticed he already had his ring on. He stood up.

"I figured you'd say yes," he grinned.

"What if I'd said no?"

"I'd be absolutely heartbroken, then I'd be on a mission to make you fall in love with me all over again."

Kevin picked you up by the waist and spun the both of you around in circles. Due to his constant spinning and inconsistent footing, you two had moved into the path of the water and were already getting wet.

Not caring about the water, Kevin set you down on your feet and swept his head down. His lips covered yours and you responded instantly. Your lips moved in sync, a perfect match. He nibbled on your lower lip and you parted your lips to let him in. His tongue played with yours lazily for a while before moving to explore even though he had explored thoroughly many times before.

Both of you pulled away for air. Kevin wrapped his arms tighter around your waist and your arms also tightened themselves around his neck. His forehead rested on yours and your noses brushed lightly against each other.

"I love you," he whispered.

You could feel his warm breath on your lips, and that sent tingles down your spine.

"I love you, too."

And your lips met again. You were standing in the middle of the water fountain and getting soaked but neither cared. Both were too busy basking in the light of their own love.