Oneshot

Lost Control

Kagami was lying down, eating his BLT on the rooftop. His mood was at his worst right now, and he kept chewing like a mad man. The reason for his temper was simple: just a little while ago he had been in a meaningless fight with Kuroko, in the middle of basketball practice. I’ll have to apologize later, he thought.

In truth it was entirely his fault, he wasn’t concentrating enough on the game, because his mind kept drifting into the blue haired guy’s direction, and that made him miss many of his attempts at scoring. Frustrated with himself he had blamed Kuroko, and after they yelled at each other, the coach ordered Kagami to go eat something and clear his mind. After that Kagami didn’t return to practice. It felt wrong to be fighting with Kuroko, it just did. More than anything he wanted to be well with Kuroko, he couldn’t stand it if he never talked to him again, if he would start avoiding him, and then Kagami would never see him again, he would never get the chance to go to the championship with Kuroko, he would never hear him again, see him play nor play alongside him, he would never get the chance to touch him… Wait, what am I thinking?

- Oh, Kagamicchi, that looks delicious! Let me take a bite.

Somebody interrupted Kagami’s line of thought. He didn’t even need to turn around to know who had just called him; there was only one stupid person in the world who would call him by that stupid nickname.

- Kise, what the hell are you doing here?

He was already bothered enough without an obsessive idiot like that coming to talk to him.

- I was lonely, you know! I came to visit!  - The blond smiled like a fool and walked in Kagami’s way, he didn’t notice how mad he was, or at least he pretended not to.

- How do they even let you in, you’re not attending this school!

- Well, I asked the lady in the reception and she immediately let me in you know. – He started laughing loudly.

Kagami didn’t even want to listen to that guy anymore.

- Whatever, man. If you’re here for Kuroko he’s not with me.

- So I see… Hum, did the hubby get left behind? Kurokocchi is already tired of you, isn’t he?

- Oy, what do you mean hubby…

- Anyways! I didn’t come here for Kurokocchi. I want to have a word with you.

Kagami couldn’t possibly imagine what that idiot would want from him, plus he was utterly pissed that the guy had the guts to go and disturb his lunch.

- So? Spit it out already and then leave.

Kise looked around and smiled, but there was something weird about the way he did it.

- I’d prefer we talk in a more…private place. Okay, Kagamicchi?

What the actual ?, thought Kagami as he finished eating his meal.  He had no idea why Kise would seek him out like that. Anyways it was not like he had anything better to do, he couldn’t back away when it felt like that guy was challenging him and he had to admit he was curious about what Kise wanted from him.

- Let’s go to the gym, then. There’s no one there right now.

Kagami led Kise to the gym. It didn’t matter anyways; basketball practice would be over by now. But in all honesty, Kagami was expecting it wasn't yet, he wanted an oppurtunity. None of them said a word to each other as they walked. This guy is really weird, Kise was the one who called Kagami and then he just went quiet all of a sudden. They finally reached the place and Kagami let Kise enter first before he himself went it. He was kind of disappointed that they were the only ones there.

- When are you going to let Kurokocchi leave, Kagami? – He heard Kise ask as soon as he closed the door behind them.

- What are you talking about? - Once again the blond caught him by surprise. Of course Kagami knew what he was talking about, and he felt idiotic for not realizing what Kise wanted from him sooner. There was only one thing Kise wanted from Kagami, and that was Kuroko.

- I believe it’s pretty obvious even for you.

Kagami didn’t understand what he meant. He was starting to get pissed at this guy’s speech.

- Tch, you’re quick to lose your charming personality aren’t you.

-  I want to play with Kurokocchi, side by side, but he won’t leave this place as long as you’re here.

- You came here just for that?

Kise ignored Kagami’s question and continued.

- I already tried to talk some sense into Kurokocchi, but he seems to just keep forcing himself to stay by your side. What about you, Kagami?

Again, Kise continued as though he didn’t hear Kagami.

- What will you do when your so called light stops shining?

- What did you say, you bastard?

- Or rather, what will you do when Kurokocchi finds another light to chase after?

Kagami’s small amount of patience was wearing thin. He didn’t want to hear any of this bull; now he was truly unbelievably annoyed.

- That guy can just do whatever he wants. Isn’t that what he’s been doing all this time?

No. No, stop. It didn’t felt right. None of those words made any sense, they were all lies and he knew it, but somehow he couldn’t stop them from coming out.

- To me it’s all the same, whether he’s here or not, my light will never fade! – No, stop it. Kagami, stop it. - It will only keep shining brighter, I never wanted nor needed a shadow – Come on mouth, stop moving! – And I will never need one. I don’t care about Kuroko!

SHUT THE UP. That…That was not true at all, that was not what he wanted to say at all. He was just so mad, so mad at Kuroko, so mad at Kise, but most of all, so unbearably mad at himself.

- I’m delighted to hear you said that. - Kise smirked and the next instant, he looked at Kagami with a serious expression. – Because I need Kuroko. I care about him. And since he is such a heavy burden for you to carry, I’ll gladly relieve you from that weight.

Kagami couldn’t hear anything, he couldn’t see anything, he could only feel his heart beating hard in his chest. He gazed at the floor as Kise started to walk towards the exit, with his back facing Kagami.

- See you later, Kaga… - Kise turned around to face Kagami as he said his goodbye, but he didn’t get to finish his sentence.

 In fact, he didn’t get to see Kagami’s face, instead, he only got to see Kagami’s fist jumping right into his nose. Taken by surprise, Kise fell to the ground with Kagami on top of him. With his hands covering his face, Kise tried to block Kagami’s continuous hits, but his arms were starting to hurt as hell. , he’s seriously strong, this guy… Only then did he hear Kagami muttering.

- I’ll…kill you. I’ll…I’ll kill you. You…stay away…from Kuroko….

Kagami was mumbling so quietly Kise could hardly hear him; it was more like he was talking to himself. Even if Kise could hear him it was a little hard to understand him since Kagami was talking in his mother language.

Kise was unable to see his face, due to his own arms blocking his view of Kagami, but from the other guy’s way of speaking, he sensed he would in fact do it without hesitation. , I can’t budge him, I should be able to…

- KAGAMI!

Kagami heard someone screaming from a distance. He didn’t turn around to find out whom that voice belonged to. He didn’t care, he wasn’t even aware of his surroundings, all he could see was black, and it was like his conscious had left him behind and floated somewhere far away.  His fists just kept beating Kise’s arms, desperately trying to break the barrier and reach the other male’s face. He wanted to punch him so bad, he wanted to take that cheesy smirk off his face with his own hands, he wanted to make Kise bleed, just like he had done to Kuroko once before. Maybe, maybe when he bleeds, he would have to close his eyes, just like Kuroko, and then he will be unable to even look at Kuroko, and then, and then…

- KAGAMI, STOP IT!

This time the scream was louder, closer, someone was screaming right in his ear, that person was right next to him.

- KAGAMI!

Only when the person grabbed his left arm did Kagami recognize whose voice he was hearing. He forced his hands to stop, his right fist in mid air, just before he landed another punch on Kise. Kagami felt his mind slowly getting clearer, he was breathing heavily from all the rush and his hands were slightly tainted with blood. He got up from the other guy’s lap and stared at the person who had most likely just saved him from committing a murder.

- Kuroko...

But Kuroko wasn’t looking at him anymore. He had his eyes fixed on Kise, who was still on the floor trying to get up, but his forearms, which were full of bruises, were trembling and it took him a while just to sit. Kuroko yet wearing his usual expressionless mask, but his eyes were oddly open, as if he had only now noticed that it was Kise who was on the floor.

- Kise, why? What is going on? Kagami?

When Kuroko turned his eyes at Kagami it was like the whole world stopped. He kept his mouth shut and his heart tightened. How could he say anything when he didn’t even know the reason in the first place?

- What’s wrong, Kurokocchi? - Kise laughed cheerfully – Can’t two guys have a little fun of their own?

Kise’s question surprised Kagami as much as Kuroko.

- But, Kise, your arms are hurt. - Said Kuroko.

Kise got up and put his arms behind his head, as an attempt to hide the damage they had taken.

- Ah, this? Well, I underestimated Kagamicchi’s strength again, just that. We were just messing around, right, Kagamicchi?

Kagami looked up from Kuroko at Kise. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing, why was Kise trying to cover it up?

- Yes…That’s right. – He answered.

Kuroko stared at both of them for a minute, as if he was thinking about their excuse. After a while he nodded, apparently accepting it.

- Violence is bad. You shouldn’t joke like this.

- You’re saying that again, Kurokocchi. Sometimes, you need to hit someone to sort out your feelings. Don’t you agree, Kagamicchi?

Kagami didn’t answer. 

- Let's do this again, Kagamicchi. - Then Kise left and both Kagami and Kuroko were silent and after what felt like an eternity, unexpectedly Kuroko broke the stillness of that instant.

- Did what he say to you really piss you off that much?

- What? – He asked, only listening to Kuroko with an effort.

- Did you hit him because you are insecure? Because you believe that maybe your light will stop shinning?

Kagami was seriously astonished, he couldn’t do anything except hearing the thunderous sound of his heart resonating in his ears.

- How long were you listening to us? – His mouth was starting to get dry; Kagami could feel himself tensing up.

- From the beginning. Actually, I was already here when you guys arrived, you just didn’t notice.

Kagami was surprised; he hadn’t been aware of Kuroko’s presence at all. Well, that wasn’t really that surprising; it was easy for Kuroko to not get noticed. So he listened to everything… Suddenly his heart bumped in his chest. If Kuroko was there all along, then…Then he heard everything…Every little thing Kagami had said.

- When you said you were going to beat the Generation of Miracles, I didn’t think you meant it like this.  

- I didn’t… - Kagami mumbled more to himself than to Kuroko.

At this point he was trying hard to stop the drumming in his chest. The harsh way he had spoken about Kuroko before was weighting down on him.

- I know. I know you wouldn’t do something like this if you were on your right mind. But then why…

Kuroko quickly went silent and gazed at the ground, as if he was thinking again. The quiet atmosphere lingered for a while. Kagami didn’t know what to say, he was honestly still shaken that he had done something like that, and most of all, shaken that Kuroko had heard the whole conversation. But Kuroko was still expressionless and he didn’t say anything about it, if he was hurt, he wasn’t showing it.

- Your light will definitely keep shinning. If I’m here and even if I’m not, it will shine brighter, just as you said. -  Kagami clenched his fists and unsuccessfully tried to say something – But I don’t plan on being left behind.

Kagami then looked at Kuroko with shock in his eyes and Kuroko just stared at Kagami as he said that, with a serious expression.

 – A shadow can only belong to one light, if the source of the light changes then the shadow won’t ever be the same. Therefore…I have no intention of leaving the light I chose.

And just like that Kagami relaxed. Was it because Kuroko’s words felt like a confession? He didn’t care. All he knew was that he was calm now, like a heavy burden had just been lifted off his shoulders. Every part of him felt lighter, with the exception of the one place he could feel getting tighter, fuller, heavier; his heart. He silently looked back at Kuroko, absorbing everything about him, his face, his body, his personality. Kuroko always knew what to say, he always knew what to do, he knew how to handle Kagami better than anyone but the most important matter was that he understood Kagami better than anyone else. It was at that moment that Kagami figured it all out, why he had gotten so mad at Kise, why he had only stopped thanks to Kuroko, and why his heart was thumping so loudly.

He walked to Kuroko, who was still squatting on the place where Kise was lying before. Kagami grabbed Kuroko’s forearm and helped him get back on his feet. No, he’s the one who always helps me get back on my feet. It’s always him. By now Kagami had left everything behind, his doubts, his insecurities, his angry thoughts, nothing mattered anymore, just that moment was important. No, just that person was important.

- I lied. I didn’t mean a word I said; it was just that he was pissing me off so much. I need you. – The second he said it he felt like it was the truest thing in the whole world. – , I need you, Kuroko. I need you so much, in every way. – He smiled, and it felt like it was the most sincere smile he had ever given anyone in a long time. He felt a little silly as he said that, but he didn’t want to lie anymore, not to himself and not to Kuroko – Don’t even think about leaving me, because I will never let that happen, you got that?

Kuroko didn’t say anything while Kagami spoke, he just stayed silent and listened to his every word without moving, even though Kagami was still holding his forearm. Only a little later did he speak:

- Idiot, I just said I would never leave.

Then, Kuroko smiled. Aah, there it is, thought Kagami. That goofy smile that always managed to reassured him, a smile that said everything would be alright. A damn beautiful sight, the smile of his beloved. He released Kuroko’s arm and then leaned forward to kiss him, a soft, tender kiss. He tilted his head back to look into Kuroko’s drowning blue eyes. He loved Kuroko, he loved him so much. Just the thought of finally realizing it made him love him even more, he didn’t know how to explain he just wanted to be with Kuroko forever and he wasn’t afraid to show it anymore.

- I’m sorry about earlier… - He didn’t really know how to apologize, it just wasn’t his thing and honestly it felt embarrassing.

- What do you mean?

- I didn’t mean to yell at you.

- What are you talking about? I don’t remember you yelling at me.

- What?! How could you forget, just a while ago, on basketball practice…! – Kagami couldn’t even believe his ears. There he was so worked up about it, trying hard to be gentle and apologize to him and Kuroko didn’t even remember what had happened not so long ago.

- Oh, right. Did you eat properly?

- That’s not…Ah, forget it, idiot. - Kagami smiled and leaned forward one more time, his forehead touching Kuroko's.

- I really do love you. – He said although he hasn’t bold enough to speak in Japanese.

- Kagami, I know English too, you kn…

- Shut up already!

Kagami kissed Kuroko yet again, this time he prolonged the kiss as a sign that he didn’t want to part anymore and as a promise that it was only be the beginning for both of them.