Shadow

Shadow

 

 

"The only heir to the Oh clan's finally born. Soon he'll protect the king's son from southern kingdom. It's been a tradition for ages."

 

A middle aged man spoke with his fingers touching the forehead of the 6 days old baby. The round beautiful eyes of the baby stared at the man. There's no cry or even sobs from him.

 

"He'll protect the only son from the southern kingdom, Park Chanyeol who's turning one this year." He exhaled a deep breath in front of the Oh clan. "I give him the name of Sehun. He'll be the shadow of the prince."

 

.........

 

"Sehun!" A seven years old boy run while crying. There's a red mark on his elbow that's bleeding a bit.

"What's wrong, Chanyeol hyung?" A calm boy answered. His attitude and face didn't really show an image of the innocent six years old boy.

"I fell down..." Chanyeol sobbed. Sehun stared at the wound for a while before pulling him to the nearest river.

"It's better to wash it first, hold on a bit." Sehun sat near the river's surface with Chanyeol following him seconds later. He scooped a bit of water to wash Chanyeol's elbow.

"Aw!" Chanyeol whined in pain; tears started to roll over his cheek. Sehun torn a piece of cloth from his shirt and tie it around the wound.

"Feel better?" Sehun smiled. Chanyeol nodded before wiping his tears, he smiled and hugs Sehun really really tight.

 

.........

 

"Sehun!"

 

The familiar shout heard. Of course, it's been 17 years of Chanyeol and Sehun's togetherness. This is because Sehun is the only heir of the ice clan that protects the prince from southern kingdom, Park Chanyeol. Sehun is a genius. He mastered almost all the ninja tactics in few years after he's been trained. In the age of ten, he defeated the king from the eastern kingdom.

The problem is; Southern kingdom is a palace that controls almost all territory which brought jealousy to others. That's why so many of them want to kill the king. But some of them even tried to kill the prince. Because everyone knows that the queen can't get pregnant anymore. And Chanyeol doesn't have any brothers.

 

"What's wrong?" Sehun turned to him without expression. He was about to go to school. In the modern era, their statuses were hidden. And they have to go blend in the community.

"You're so slow! Let's go together!" Chanyeol pulled his hand happily. Sehun can only sigh.

 

They're told to be together all the time. Sehun skipped a year so he can stay in the same class with Chanyeol. He was told to even sleep in Chanyeol's room. But of course, the nighttime was all studies and guarding for Sehun. But all of them didn't disturb his school.

Chanyeol is a very expressive prince. He's very energetic and isn't scared of talking to strangers. That's why he should be guarded almost all the time, everyone's scared of him getting tricked by the enemies. Behind all the times he spends with Sehun, he has a feeling towards the younger male.

 

"Sehun-ssi! Please read this!" A girl gave Sehun a letter that probably a love letter. Sehun smiled before accepting it.

"WOOO! Sehun, even when it's still this morning, there's always a girl waiting for you, eh?" Chanyeol laughed while patting his guard's shoulder.

"You're popular as well, hyung!" Sehun pouted before shooting Chanyeol back with his words. They laughed.

 

Chanyeol knows, for him, Sehun isn't only a guard. He's even more precious than a bestfriend. Chanyeol quietly learn how to fight and material arts to protect himself and to ease Sehun's work.

He remembers the time the eastern kingdom succeeded on kidnapping him. But Sehun and the Oh clan came to save the scared Chanyeol. Chanyeol remembers how Sehun was brought to the emergency at the hospital because he lost a lot of blood while protecting him. Sehun is only 10 that time.

Well, it's Sehun's obligation to protect Chanyeol because he's his guard. But for Chanyeol, Sehun's a dongsaeng, his bestfriend, someone he treasures the most. He knows he got those special feelings for Sehun.

 

"Hyung? Why are you spacing out? Finish the lunch!" Sehun patted his master's shoulder.

"Ah, I'm not hungry."

"You're not hungry? Are you sick? Want me to buy you something else?" Sehun asked with a worried face. Chanyeol just smiled at his dongsaeng's response. He leaned himself on the big tree. This is Chanyeol's favorite place to spend his time.

"I want to eat..." Chanyeol gave his lunch box to Sehun. "If you feed me." He smirked. Sehun stayed silent for a while before sighing and take the lunch box to open the lid.

"You're just a month to your 18th but still acting like a little kid." He started to feed Sehun.

"Well, there's no big problem right? You used to feed me a lot." Chanyeol eat happily. "You remember my birthday?"

"Of course I do! We're together since our mothers don't know when! And your birthday's celebrated every year." Sehun said.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm confused with my own dad. He loves to celebrate my birthdays! The worst is last year, he invited the whole country!"

"Hyung! Chanyeol hyung is a prince! And last year is your sweet 17th."

"What's so special about 17?" Chanyeol said while continuing his lunch.

 

Sehun sighed. Chanyeol hated being seen as the only heir of such a big kingdom. Else than getting his life threatened, being given too much expensive things annoys him. He loves to live around his people's average but the king and queen babied him so much. He even prefers staying in Sehun's small house beside the palace.

Sehun was tidying their lunch boxes when a voice came from the bushes. He quickly concentrates to face the predictions of the soon upcoming attacks.

 

"Chan—"

 

BUAGH!

 

"Agh! Sehun, you didn't change even a bit..." A voice hoarse in Sehun's deadly hold around his neck.

"Who told you to appear in all sudden, Kai?" Sehun kept on holding the neck of a boy with the same uniform as them.

"Well, you don't have to be that serious. It's usual for me to greet you from above the tree." Kai struggled before Sehun release him.

"I'm just doing my duty. And aren't you supposed to be around your master?" Sehun asked while tidying his uniform. Kai waved to Chanyeol who replied happily.

 

Yes, Kai is a ninja from the Kim clan who's working for the northern kingdom. He was obliged to protect the heir from the northern who's now 22 years old. While Kai is the same as Sehun, 17.

 

"Don't play dumb. Luhan hyung's in the college while my father said I have to study at school."

"But you used to skip classes—”

"Anyway, Baekhyun hyung is taking care of him." Kai snorted. Baekhyun is the adopted older brother of him.

"You're jealous of him, right~?" Chanyeol playfully asked. Kai puffed his cheeks in annoyance.

"Kai, you have to remember that." Sehun whispered quietly but loud enough to be heard by Chanyeol.

"Yea yea, I understand." Kai nodded.

"What is it?" Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow.

"Urm, secret~! Well, I'm going back to class. Bye hyungs!" Kai jumped from tree to tree.

"What a stupid kid. Using ninja skills in public." Sehun sighed at his bestfriend's attitude. Kim clan has a great relationship with the Oh clan.

"What is it? You guys make me curious!" Chanyeol stood up straight.

"Nah, it's nothing important, hyung."

"Then tell me!"

Sehun stayed silent. In the next seconds, he was pinned to the tree by Chanyeol's hand and figure who's way taller than him.

"Tell me, or..." Chanyeol smirked, "I'm going to kiss you."

"Hyung... Since when you—"

 

Chanyeol's lips stopped Sehun from talking. Sehun's in the state of shock but he's not trying to stop him. He couldn't. Chanyeol pushed Sehun to open his mouth. With a little bit push, Chanyeol's tongue slipped into the younger's hot cavern. Sehun's legs go jelly as the older kept on kissing him. He got no strength to fight back and almost die of less oxygen if the older didn't pull back.

 

"Tell me?"

"Y-you're crazy."

"You liked it."

"...."

"You still don't want to tell me?"

"....."

 

Chanyeol cupped Sehun's face with his palms before kissing him again. Sehun stayed silent for a while before a tongue slipped into his mouth. His tongue met it and fight back for a little battle but lost in Chanyeol's dominance. He automatically replied the kiss. Strange feelings run through his body. Why can't he stop? Why did he kiss him back?

Chanyeol's just wanted to tease his dongsaeng, but now he can't stop himself from kissing the pair of strawberry lips that tasted sweeter than it looks like. He kissed him to know the thing going on between Kai and Sehun. But now he prayed for Sehun not to tell him so he can kiss him anytime he wants.

They kept on kissing and Sehun's hand travelled from the perfect built chest Chanyeol had to the wide shoulders. He rested his hands there before kissing back deeper. Chanyeol pulled for air and bite Sehun's lower lip that now swollen. They were about to kiss again when the school bell rang. Sehun quickly pulled back and push Chanyeol away from him with his cheeks flushed bright pink.

 

"You know, I won't stop until you tell me." Chanyeol smirked before going back to the class. When Chanyeol's out from his sight, Sehun hung his head low.

"Idiot. Every clan knows." He inhaled deeply. "That we're not allowed to fall in love with our masters."

 

"We're just a shadow to our masters."

 

.........

 

"Sehun-ah, what's wrong with you? Is there something bad happening between you and prince Chanyeol?" Asked a wise faced man sitting beside him.

"I don't know. He's insane."

"Insane?"

"Suho hyung, I don't know if I can do this anymore." Sehun sighed. Suho is Oh clan's member who's like Sehun's older brother.

"Something happened, right? There's no way he could make you like this if you said it's nothing."

 

Sehun told him everything. Including the times Chanyeol kissed him. Suho widened his eyes at this. He couldn't believe such things happened. And how could Chanyeol do that to Sehun?

 

"I don't understand why." Sehun sighed for the nth time.

"He loves you." Suho pointed.

"But that's impossible! He's doing this just for fun!" Sehun screamed in frustration, not too loud or else the teacher will smack him death. And hyung, we're not allowed to fall in love with them."

"I know. That's the risk of being a guard. You'll spend your whole life with him, together, guarding him until his last breath but you're not allowed to love him."

Sehun knows that. He buried his feelings long ago. But now that Chanyeol kissed him, he couldn't help but to feel a little bit hope.

"You're allowed to fall in love with anyone but your master. You can't stay with your family that often as well." Suho stared out the classroom. "Life's not fair."

"Sometimes I felt like being born in a normal life." He said sadly. "You know hyung? Kai felt the same. He's in love with Luhan hyung."

"We're with them like always. There's no way we can't avoid falling for him. That happens to me too, you know. I fell for the little baozi." Suho sighed. "Sometimes fate is there to fight, Hunnie."

"....."

"But the only fact that we can never fight back is that we're just a shadow to them."

 

.........

 

The clock strikes two but Sehun's still studying in the corner of the room. Chanyeol was asleep. Sehun's a little bit sleepy but he doesn't want to sleep.

Movements from the attic caught Sehun's sense. Soon, an arrow was shot to the direction of the sleeping Chanyeol. Sehun quickly jumped, but because the distance from the study table to the bed, Sehun failed to catch the arrow, he stomped his feet to slide and the arrow stabbed his right shoulder.

Chanyeol shot awake when Sehun crushed his body to the bed while grunting. His eyes wondered around and found the archer running away. Sehun winced in pain.

 

"Sehun! Oh... God. Are you okay?" Chanyeol jumped off his bed to check on his dongsaeng. Again. Sehun's hurt again because of him.

"It's alright. Back off."

 

Chanyeol obeyed. He backed few steps and with one pull, Sehun took the arrow off his shoulder. Chanyeol quickly torn his clothes to tie it around Sehun's shoulder to make the blood stop.

 

"I remember 10 years ago when I do the same thing to your wound, hyung." Sehun smiled at Chanyeol's act.

"This isn't the right time to remember such thing! Why can't you let the arrow stab me? No, I told you to stay close!" Chanyeol rang the bell for the guards. "You always make me worried!" Chanyeol hugged Sehun tight.

"Stupid. This isn't a serious thing. And I have to protect you."

"But because of this you can't go to school today, right?"

"Well.. Yeah."

"If that so, you can't protect me at school!"

"Calm down. It'll only take a day. Besides, Suho—ah, no. Kyungsoo hyung will keep an eye on you."

"Who am I to be eyed?"

"The crown."

"Whatever."

 

Chanyeol kissed Sehun. But only for few seconds because of the sounds coming from the outside. The guards must be here. Chanyeol hugged the younger tight.

 

"Hyung, can you stop doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"Kissing me."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because you haven't told me about that little secret you have with Kai."

"Just that?"

"Because I know you liked it."

"...."

"And I like it."

"What do you mean?"

 

Some guards run in breathless. Chanyeol glared at them. If looks can kill, the guards would be lying down with pool of blood on his floor.

 

"You guys are so ing slow! Why? Because I got a personal guard already? Dammit! Know what? There's an intruder! In this ing palace! Did you guys do your work seriously?!" Chanyeol cursed. Sehun widened his eyes. Since when the prince learn cursing words?

"W-were sorry, your highness."

"Whatever! Take care of Sehun now! I'll just get you guys to be fired. You want that?"

 

The scared guards shook their heads before helping Sehun to the palace's infirmary. Chanyeol smiled and wink at him before the door closed. Sehun tried his hard to think about Chanyeol's words but his head hurts and everything went dark.

 

.........

 

Bad news had finally come. The biggest problem appeared as the Western Kingdom betrayed the south and united with the east that’s having grudges toward the south. They announced war for soon.

The Oh and Kim clan will take over a big part of this war, too. Of course.

 

"Sehun, protect young master with all your power and life. The possibility of winning is in our hands but if the prince's killed, that's a huge impact to the whole kingdom. The one being targeted the most is Prince Chanyeol."

"I understand, father."

"We don't have to worry about your strength, skills, or abilities. But if you slack just for a bit, or left yourself or the prince unguarded, you're just a trash. Remember, we're the shadows of our masters. Keep it in mind."

 

The lead of Oh clan—Sehun's father, left his son alone. They all got a war to prepare. While Sehun's having a huge disaster because of Chanyeol's attitude.

 

"Sehun~! Finally you're here! I'm bored studying all day." Chanyeol threw himself to the bed as Sehun entered the room.

"Young master, it's a must for you to study."

"But I hate studying! And what's with the sudden formality?" Chanyeol sat up straight. The younger walked closer with a serious face.

"Have you done your homeworks, young master? Have lunch?" Sehun asked before turning back to tidy the books on Chanyeol's desk.

"Hey, hey. I asked you. Why are you acting so formal?"

"It's the duty for the guardians to speak and act formal to their masters especially a heir like you." Sehun said and Chanyeol snorted. "Now, you have to eat lunch, young master. What do you want? Any special request?"

"I don't want to eat the chef's cooks."

 

Chanyeol grabbed Sehun's hand and pulled him onto the bed, he flipped the younger so he's on top of Sehun. Chanyeol smiled before kissing him. Sehun didn't reply and stay still. The taller bit his lower lip a bit making the younger to gasp and taking the advantage to slip his tongue in. He wildly all the sweetness from Sehun's mouth, not leaving even an inch untouched. Unconsciously, Sehun moaned to the kiss. Chanyeol smirked before kissing him deeper. He travelled his lips to Sehun's jaw and neck.

Without thinking twice, Chanyeol marked that white pale neck of his personal guard. the red spot before letting his lips back to Sehun's lips. The pleasure of the kiss made Sehun kissed back and battled his tongue with Chanyeol's. After a long while, Chanyeol pulled back for air. Both out of breath.

 

"I had my lunch just now." Chanyeol his lips before showing his creepy happy smile. Sehun rolled his eyes and stare at his master with an annoyed face.

"Can young master stop doing this?"

"I've told you. I can't stop."

"...."

"Because I've liked this too much and like you."

"You can't."

"Okay, I don't like you. I love you."

"That's the same."

"No. You can like hundreds of people. But you're destined just to love one."

"....."

"I love you, Oh Sehun." Chanyeol whispered softly and kissed Sehun's neck. But the younger pushed him away.

"But I don't love you." Sehun stood up and fix his clothes. War's coming up. He had to be firm.

"What?"

"We're your shadows. We're not allowed or destined to fall in love with our masters. There's no such fate for us. Shadows are illusions."

"...."

"Your feelings won't last long. I shall excuse myself."

 

Sehun walked out the room. Chanyeol stared at his back until the door's closed. He couldn't think clear. What's with Sehun's attitude? He's never been that cold to him. Is it true that Sehun didn't love him? Then why didn't he stop Chanyeol everytime he kissed him? Why did he kiss him back?

Three days passed and Chanyeol didn't kiss nor push him to speak informal anymore. Sehun felt relief because he had to concentrate for the upcoming war. But something felt wrong. He wanted Chanyeol to act as usual. He wanted Chanyeol to kiss him again.

 

.........

 

The two kings stood with stout with their horses. Everyone's ready to fight till death. The two princes are ready with the horses behind their fathers along with their guardians. Sehun and Kai stood beside their masters. A voice of trumpet announced the troops of east and west.

With one shout from the south king, the war started like a storm. Everyone fights for the king, queen, and their heirs. Also for the peace in the two kingdoms. Many of them fell but Southern and Northern Kingdoms are far ahead.

 

"Young master! Watch out!" Sehun pulled Chanyeol down from his horse.

"Are you guys okay?" Kris, the son of the Northern Kingdom's duke, asked while defending the arrows from enemies. Tao, his guard, with his wushu and swords, helping them.

"Thanks, hyungs." Sehun smiled, helping Chanyeol.

"Stop gossiping, guys!" Minseok along with Suho shouted.

"Sehun, Chanyeol! Careful guys!" Luhan warned the two. They can't be left slacking around. In his side, Kai's still fighting.

 

The war's coming to an end. The east and west started to overwhelmed. Sehun used his special power from the ice clan to protect Chanyeol from the attacks so he can keep on focusing his battles between guards. It'll only last for 15 minutes and drain much of Sehun's energy.

The war's cooling down and north and south won. People started to be busy taking care of them who's injured. Chanyeol got some minor injuries and brought right away to the palace's hospital. He searched for Sehun. But the one he recognized is Luhan, holding Kai's hand who's currently unconscious.

He started to think of things but shook his head to get rid of those thoughts. He ran to the battle field. He's scared of anything bad that might happen to the precious dongsaeng of him. Sehun was laying down around dead bodies, his wound covered by ice, grunting.

 

"S-Sehun? Sehunnie?" Chanyeol caressed Sehun's cheeks. The younger slowly opened his eyes.

"Y-young m-master..."

"Stop being formal. I hate it."

"But—" Sehun tried to argue but Chanyeol kissed him.

"Stop that or I'll kiss you again."

"H-hyung."

"Hold it for a while, okay? The guards and nurses will come soon. They'll take care of you." Chanyeol smiled sadly while keeping his hand on the thin fabric on Sehun's wound. It's still bleeding even though the ice covered it.

"You're... Okay... Right, h-hyung?" Sehun moved his hand, Chanyeol hold it right away.

"No, no. I'm okay. Stop talking or the blood won't stop." Chanyeol smiled but tears pouring out from his eyes. Sehun smiled.

"Mi..anhae.. Hyung. I... Lied to... You."

"Eh?" Chanyeol's confused at Sehun's words. But the younger smiled before capturing Chanyeol's lips with his softly.

"I...Love you. For.... So...long..." Sehun smiled. Tears flooding in his sad eyes. "Sa...ranghae.."

"Nado saranghae, Sehunnie..."

 

Chanyeol kissed Sehun softly but getting no reply. He lifted his face to see his dongsaeng's face clearer but Sehun had his eyes closed. The pale lips stayed silent losing its color. The tears that he showed for the first time in his life stained his cheeks and froze. Chanyeol's heart hurt.

 

"Sehun?"

 

 

"Chanyeol-ah! I heard that you passed your exam?" Luhan poked the taller's shoulder.

"Of course, hyung! I'm not that stupid!"

"Well well, the only thing you do best is skipping out from class just like him." Luhan ruffled Kai's hair.

"Shut up, hyung. My scores are the best of this year's" Kai snorted.

 

Chanyeol smiled before excusing himself off. He walked to the familiar path and met Suho along with the middle-aged man with wise smile.

 

"Good afternoon!" Chanyeol greeted happily.

"Ah! Good afternoon, Yeollie! I heard you got into the university? Congrats!" Suho hugged the taller man tightly.

"Congratulations, young master." The man smiled while shaking Chanyeol's hand.

"Thank you. Today I wanted to visit him again. Any improvements?"

"No. He's still the same."

 

Suho smiled weakly. Chanyeol nodded before walking into the house he's been living for half of his life. He went into the room placed at the end of the hall.

 

"I'm home." He said softly, taking a seat on a chair beside the bed. "I passed the exam to university. Soon I'll be going to college and study hard."

 

He wiped off the flowing tears and holds the pale hands of the person in front of him.

 

"That's why you have to wake up soon, Sehunnie." Chanyeol said while brushing to long bangs on his dongsaeng's forehead who's been sleeping for the past two years. "Later, we'll spend a lot lot of time together."

 

He held the hand tighter while smiling. He started to tell the story and his experience while doing the exam to university. He told the story about him meeting a good friend named Baekhyun as well. He'll continue to tell stories until Sehun wakes up and replied the words in that one sentence that he tells the younger almost everyday.

 

"Saranghae, Oh Sehun."

 

 


 

so...urm.

I want to ask you one thing about this story.

is this a sad ending, happy ending, or an open ending?

8D

LOL, sorry, I know I'm stupid idiot dumb whatsoever, but this is the only thing I'm confused for my whole life.

Mind to tell me? =)

anyway, thanks for reading! hope you enjoyed my story <3 don't forget to kindly leave comments and answers for that ^ okay? =)) thanks a lot!