The Standing Man

The Standing Man

 

On the day when Jung Yunho died, Go Ahra saw a mourner that she had never seen before. A young man, maybe his age wasn’t far from her husband that died on the young age because a heart attack. Ahra had never seen him among her husband’s colleagues, relatives from overseas, family or even just drunk buddy.

Who was the man whose face was beautiful?, Ahra thought.

Since the first time Ahra saw the beautiful man stepping into Jung family’s yard, Ahra had caught the presence. He didn’t greet nor talked to the other mourners. He was standing in front of the door with longing eyes. In one side, Ahra could see the beaten gaze in his eyes, seeing Yunho’s body lay down in the coffin. Ahra could understand, the man was shocked by Yunho’s sudden death. She couldn’t cry because she couldn’t accept that she was left by the ones she loved. And that man had the same feeling written on his personable face. He was handsome, just like Yunho whom Ahra could fall to.

Ahra wanted to rise and approached him, then asked him about whom he was, what kind of relationship he had with Yunho. But, her legs were too weary, even her lips couldn’t tell any word to reply the mourners who soothed her.

When one by one of the mourners were leaving, Ahra saw him in front of her yard. He was staring at Yunho’s huge photo which was decorated by black ribbon with flowers and candles around it. Again, Ahra saw the beaten gaze and the sadness. The only gaze which was given by people who loved Yunho. It seemed the gaze show he had lost the one he loved the most.

Hurriedly, she swatted his thought about it. Yes, she just had a few times with Yunho. Her husband was too busy with his works and business. Those were business or ‘business’, Ahra didn’t know. So far, Ahra had never suspected every single girl among Yunho’s friends, even his personal secretary. Ahra loved Yunho too much to doctrine herself to always believe in her husband. Even the smallest thing of the thought about Yunho’s affair with a man passed on Ahra’s mind. Occasionally, Ahra had ever seen Yunho calling a man. But, what she caught from the conversation was just meeting arrangement.

“Yunho…” The man whispered.

Ahra’s heart felt loss. Even the man talked like he lost someone important in his life, he couldn’t live alone, calling Yunho’s name with so much affection and love.

Who are you?, Ahra felt no gut to ask it. Even her mother in law approached the beautiful man and asked the question Ahra had been asking inside his heart since then.

“I’m Kim Jaejoong, Jung Yunho’s lover.”

Ahra understood, even how far she had known her husband, there might be one thing Yunho had always covered, even he brought it with him into his grave.

 

Finish