At The Beginning (With You)

At The Beginning (With You)

To say Daniel was scared to meet his new group would be incorrect. He was more somewhere between nauseous and a sweaty mess. He had tried to reassure himself- Dalmatian wasn’t an intimidating name (really? As in 101 Dalmatians? What kind of a group was named after a Disney cartoon?), there were only four people (how unfriendly could they be?), and he a talented, confident, and good looking person.

It didn’t work.

Not to say that he didn’t like the name Dalmatian. Or that he wasn’t talented, confident, and good looking (most definitely not). It wasn’t even because three out of the four members were old enough to be his uncles. It was more of the fact that the fifth member of Dalmatian, the one the others had been with through the years and no doubt formed bonds of friendship with, had for some reason been pulled out and Daniel was his replacement. More or less.

Daniel stood outside an ordinary building, that is, Dalmatian’s dorm, palms sweaty and heart thudding in his chest. He flinched when the iron gates shut behind him with an almost ominous thud, and, as a little voice in his head whispered, cutting off his escape route. Gulping, he forced his feet forward to the doorstep. Gathering his courage, he raised his fist and knocked lightly on the door. There was the unmistakable sound of feet running down the stairs, and within seconds, the door was thrown open with enthusiasm, revealing a boy about Daniel’s age.

The first thing that Daniel noticed about the boy was his smile. He also noticed that he had small eyes, but really, it was the smile he noticed first. Thin lips were stretched wide across the boy’s face, ends curling. It was a nice smile. It wasn’t nice in the way smiles were in Colgate commercials or anything, but in a sincere sort of way.

The boy cocked his head to the side and gave Daniel a once over. The boy raised his eyebrows a bit, but did not make any comments. Daniel squirmed, regretting his decision to wear his beat up old Converse.

“Hi,” Daniel blurted out, breaking the silence. He stuck his hand out (making sure to wipe his sweaty palms on his jeans first). “I’m Daniel.”

The boy stared at Daniel’s proffered hand for a moment before taking it and giving it a firm shake. “I’m Jisu,” he laughed. “You’re a foreigner, right?”

“Yeah, I was born in the US,” Daniel stammered out. “But I’m Korean.”

“David-hyung is also from the States,” the boy, no, Jisu, mused thoughtfully. His smile, if possible, got even wider. “Come in. I’ll introduce you to the rest of them.”

Daniel trailed after Jisu, wide eyes taking in the spacious dorm. In the living room, the three oldest members were lounging on the couches playing video games. Jisu took Daniel’s hand and dragged him to face them.

“Hyungs, this is Daniel. He’s the new member,” Jisu informed them, gesturing to Daniel. “Daniel, this is Intae-hyung, Dari-hyung, and David-hyung.”

Daniel smiled sheepishly and bowed politely. “It’s very nice meeting you. Please take care of me.” He glanced nervously at the three on the couch, only to be met by cold stares.

“How old are you?” asked the first one Jisu had named, Intae.

“Nineteen,” replied Daniel, remembering to add one year for Korean age.

“That makes you the magnae,” Dari said, an odd gleam in his eye. “Which means…”

“You have to cook dinner!” David finished, turning around to give Dari a high five.

Daniel gaped at them, praying that his culinary skills had gotten better last time he checked. He hoped that the four of them liked instant noodles, because with him in charge of the kitchen, that would be all that they eat.

“I think you’re scaring him, hyung,” said Jisu. The three hyungs laughed.

“Kidding, kidding!” exclaimed David, leaping up from the couch. He punched Daniel’s arm. “Lighten up, man, we’re not that mean.” Daniel smiled weakly at him, surreptitiously rubbing his arm.

“Come here,” someone said, and arms grabbed Daniel, pulling him. Before he knew it, he was on the couch, squished between Intae and Jisu.

“He doesn’t really fit the image of cute magnae does he?” observed Intae, ruffling Daniel’s hair.

“He’s really good looking!” said Dari, waggling his eyebrows. “He could be our group’s noona killer!”

“Do you have abs?” asked David, peering at Daniel. Daniel shook his head, but that did not seem to put the older man off. “Hey, hey, between the three of us, who do you think has the best abs?” He then proceeded to rip his shirt off, displaying his impressive muscles. Within seconds, the other two were out of their seats and shirts too, challenging one another to a flexing contest.

Daniel blinked and looked over to Jisu, who was watching the spectacle with an amused expression. “Does this happen often?”

Jisu’s lips quirked upwards. “You’ll get used to it. And hey.” Jisu nudged Daniel’s shoulder with his own, and grinned when Daniel looked at him curiously. “Welcome to the family.”

-

Daniel tapped out a beat on the table as his eyes scanned the sheet of music, softly singing the song printed on the page. He was so concentrated on the notes that he failed to notice the other’s presence until a body plopped down next to him on the sofa.

“What are you singing?” asked Jisu, peering over Daniel’s shoulder to see the paper.

Daniel shifted the paper so Jisu could have a clear view. “Our vocal coach told me to practice this song.”

Jisu nodded thoughtfully, leaning back on his seat. “Let me hear it.”

Daniel smirked a bit, feeling more than a little confident in his voice. Nodding his head to the rhythm of the song, he started from the beginning, hitting each note perfectly. After the first chorus, he stopped singing, waggling his eyebrows at Jisu. “Not bad, eh?” he asked with a laugh.

Jisu shrugged, scrunching his face. “I don’t know,” he teased. Daniel rolled his eyes and shoved the older to the side, a move that was reciprocated by a kick to his shin. Daniel picked up a pillow and threw it at Jisu, hitting him smack in the face. Jisu mock glared at him before launching his own projectile back.

“Fine, fine,” Jisu conceded, after their impromptu pillow fight came to an end, leaving both a little breathless. “You’re good. Really good.”

Daniel preened. “Thanks.”

“But I’m better,” Jisu boasted.

Daniel glared at Jisu’s smirking face. “Is that a challenge I hear?”

“If you think you can take me on,” was the reply.

“Alright then,” said Daniel, feeling his competitive streak rising. He pointed to the song he was singing earlier. “On three. One, two, three.”

Jisu had a pretty good voice. It was a bit shaky sometimes, but there was no doubting the talent. Still, Daniel felt pretty confident that he would come out on top in this particular competition. That was, until Jisu’s voice scaled higher and higher until it touched the heavens. By the time Jisu’s voice came back down to Earth, Daniel had long stopped singing and was simply staring.

“You. That was. Wow. High. Very high,” said Daniel once he regained the use of his voice.

“Thanks.” Jisu smiled at Daniel, sincere. “You too. Good, that is.”

Daniel nodded, mind still processing all the sounds he just heard. Then it clicked. “Hey, we’re really good.”

Jisu rolled his eyes. “What a deduction, Sherlock.”

“No,” Daniel insisted. “I mean, we’re really, really good.”

“Well, your voice is very natural,” admitted Jisu.

“And you have great control and technique,” Daniel praised.

“Very warm and soulful,” said Jisu.

“Beautiful and perfectly pitched,” Daniel added.

“y.”

“Thanks. You too.” Daniel gestured between himself and Jisu. “Our voices blend perfectly together.” He mimed an explosion with his hands. “It’s like instant chemistry.”

Jisu nodded in agreement. “Why are we so awesome?” he wondered. He looked at Daniel. Daniel looked back. After a few seconds of staring, they both burst into laughter, not stopping until their sides hurt and they were dizzy from lack of oxygen. Even then, Daniel still had an ear splitting grin on his face. And from the corner of his eye, he could see that Jisu had one too.

-

His name was Donglim and he was from Busan. He had won first place in some song festival, and he also had a passion for dancing. He was to be the sixth and final member of Dalmatian.

Daniel hated him the moment he laid eyes on him.

Well, not really hate so much as simmering resentment. And Daniel had actually thought Donglim was pretty cute when he first saw him.

It wasn’t exactly Donglim’s fault, per se. There wasn’t anything wrong with him; quite the opposite in fact. Donglim was relatively good looking, though leaning more towards the cute spectrum than the hot. He also had a passion for dancing, a much needed factor on the team. And he could work the camera like no other. But the thing he was best at, and the thing that really irked Daniel, was singing.

No, there wasn’t a limit on how many singers there were in Dalmatian (the fact that they now had three singers was actually good; they now had a good balance of rappers and singers). But still, Daniel had gotten used to the fact that he and Jisu were the only vocals, and having a third party suddenly intrude upon that was unpleasantly jarring to say the least.

So when Donglim shows up at vocal lessons, ones previously for Daniel and Jisu alone, Daniel’s first impulse was to ignore him. But he doesn’t, of course. Donglim is the hyung and it would be beyond impolite. Plus, he’d been taught better than that. Daniel instead opted for a polite, but distant greeting.

Donglim’s answering smile was so bright that Daniel had to blink a couple of times. He gave Jisu, who was sitting behind Donglim, an ‘is he for real?’ sort of look. Jisu shrugged, jerking his head to the side sharply, a clear sign that Daniel needed to be nicer.

Daniel sighed and put on his best smile. “I hope we can be good friends,” he said to Donglim, seeing Jisu’s frantic nods of approval from the corner of his eye.

Donglim’s smile, if possible, got even wider, and he rose from his seat to bow to both Daniel and Jisu. “I hope so too. Please take care of me.”

Daniel would never admit it to anyone, but it was Donglim’s smile at that moment that melted his resolve to hate the newcomer and even charmed him a bit. Daniel returned the smile, a much more genuine one this time.

Jisu’s elbow dug into his ribs. “See, that wasn’t so bad, was it?” he whispered smugly.

Daniel elbowed him back. “Shut up,” he grumbled.

-

It was nearing their debut day, and the issue was clearly weighing on everyone’s minds. Every calendar in their dorm had a big red circle around September 2nd. It was not unusual to hear the sounds of singing or rapping from the shower. The game consoles in the living room remained off as the hours spent in the practice room grew steadily longer. Daniel had not even had time to think about the issue of stage names until Intae gathered everyone for a brief group discussion.

“MC Mong wants to know whether or not we’re going to have stage names,” Intae announced. He glanced around at all the members. “It’s not necessary to have one, but if you would like to, please inform me as soon as possible.”

Daniel mulled over this for days, watching as Intae became Inati, David Day Day, Donglim Youngwon, until he, Dari, and Jisu remained the only ones without a stage name.

“Hyung, are you going to get a stage name?” Daniel asked Dari one day.

Dari shook his head. “I like my name the way it is. I think it has swag.” He tossed Daniel a smirk. “You thinking about getting one?”

Daniel shrugged. “I don’t know. Daniel is kind of a plain name. And what if people mistaken me for Daniel Henney? I want something that will stand out, something…unique.”

Dari mirrored Daniel’s shrug. “Choose whatever you want.”

“That’s not very helpful, hyung,” sighed Daniel.

“Why don’t you just call everyone you know and ask for their opinion then?” Dari suggested (with, upon retrospect, a lot of sarcasm).

Daniel, not hearing the sarcasm at the time, nodded. “Hey, that’s not a bad idea. Thanks, hyung.”

And that was how Daniel ended up on the couch one Saturday night, calling his many friends and ignoring whatever show Jisu was currently watching.

“I don’t know how to choose a stage name,” Daniel was complaining, shifting his cell phone from one ear to the other. “All the good ones are taken.”

“Oh, stop your whining,” scolded Amber. “You’re just not thinking hard enough. And why are you complaining to me anyways? Do whine at your bandmates.”

“I did. Now they just kick me and tell me to go ask someone else.” As though on cue, a pillow thrown by Jisu smacked Daniel’s face.

“Be quiet,” shushed Jisu, annoyance clear on his face. “I’m trying to watch this.”

“You know what Jisu just did?” hissed Daniel. “He threw a pillow at my face!”

“Kudos to him,” replied Amber, voice completely devoid of any sympathy. “If I were him, I’d throw another one.”

“Hey, hey, let’s get back to the issue on hand here, alright?” Daniel ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “I still don’t have a stage name and I’m totally screwed.”

“Don’t be so dramatic,” sighed Amber, clearly exasperated. She proceeded to say something else, but it was all lost on Daniel as a light bulb went off in his head.

“Amber,” said Daniel slowly. “You are a genius.”

“What?” asked Amber, startled.

“Amber, I love you!” exclaimed Daniel, jumping off the couch excitedly. “In a totally platonic, best friend sort of way of course.”

Amber snorted. “You’re kind of gay.”

“Hey,” protested Daniel. “I resent that.”

Daniel could almost see Amber shrugging. “Enough time in the k-pop industry and you will be gay. Why fight it? Get a head start now.”

 “Bye, hanging up now.” Daniel stuffed his phone into his pocket and plopped down next to Jisu. “Drama!” he told him enthusiastically.

Jisu frowned at Daniel in confusion. “I know I’m watching a drama.

“No, no, no.” Daniel pointed towards himself. “My stage name. Drama. What do you think?”

Jisu mulled this over for a moment. “I suppose.”

“What do you mean ‘I suppose’?” demanded Daniel, slightly crestfallen at the lack of reaction.

Jisu turned from the television screen and faced Daniel, smile playing on his face. “No matter what you choose as your stage name, you’re still going to be Daniel to me.

“Oh. I see.” Daniel grinned at Jisu. He could live with that.

-

In less than twelve hours, all the things they had been dreaming of would come true.

The entire dorm was quiet as all the members tried to get a couple hours of shut eye before their big debut, bodies weary from the long hours of last minute practicing. Practice had been intense, but the fact that their debut was so close only made them sing and rap louder, dance harder.

Daniel laid on his bed, trying to find a position that did not strain his sore body. Their song, Round 1, rang in his ears over and over again like a broken record, making it slightly difficult for him to drift off. Daniel groaned in frustration, burrowing his head in his pillow in an effort to make the music stop. It didn’t.

“Daniel,” Jisu’s voice whispered. “Are you still awake?” Daniel peeped open his eyes to see Jisu’s upside down face, body half hanging from the bunk above his.

“Unfortunately,” grumbled Daniel. He watched blearily as Jisu quietly climbed down from the top bunk. Lifting Daniel’s covers, Jisu slipped into the bed. “What are you doing?” hissed Daniel, slightly alarmed and definitely awake now.

“Move your big over,” Jisu ordered. Daniel wiggled closer to the wall to make space for the both of them. They stared at each other in silence.

“Well, isn’t this awkward,” remarked Daniel after a while.

“It’s only awkward if you think it is,” Jisu shot back.

“I think it is,” muttered Daniel. He regretted it immediately when he felt icy cold toes press against his legs. “Oh Shisus,” Daniel yelped. He shoved Jisu’s appendages off himself. “What was that for?”

Jisu positively cackled. “Just warming up my toes.” They laid in another silence, not completely confortable, but definitely not awkward either.

“So really, why are you here?” asked Daniel.

Daniel felt Jisu shrug. “If you have trouble sleeping, they say sharing a bed with a really close friend will help. I figured you needed a little help.”

“Now you’re just making that up,” laughed Daniel.

Jisu laughed too, grin visible to Daniel even in the dark. “Okay, fine, I made that up,” he admitted. “But I really do think it would help.”

“Fine, fine, you win. I won’t kick you out, but just this once, okay?” Daniel drew the covers over both of them. “Let’s sleep now before we look like zombies tomorrow.”

“Hmm,” hummed Jisu. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Daniel returned, snuggling into his sheets and drifting off to dreams of stardom and everlasting friendships.

-

This was it. The moment they had all been waiting for.

Daniel stood backstage, fidgeting nervously as the group watched the performance scheduled before theirs’.

“Alright, Dalmatian, gather round,” said Inati, gesturing to the members. Once they all gathered in a circle, Inati gave everyone a fond, encouraging look. “This is it, boys. I don’t have anything other to say other than this.” He stuck his hand in the middle of the circle and five other hands immediately piled on top. “Dalmatian doggy dog!”

“Woof woof!” was the thunderous reply.

“Let’s go get ‘em!” said Day Day. He slung his arms over Dari and Youngwon, dragging them towards the stage after Inati.

Daniel felt a hand slip into his, and he turned around to face Jisu. “Nervous?” asked Jisu, nodding at the stage.

Daniel’s free hand touched his chest lightly, feeling the erratic thumping of his heart. He looked at Jisu and squeezed his hand gently. “A little,” he confessed.

“A little anxiety is good,” laughed Jisu, and in that moment, all Daniel saw was Jisu’s smile, brighter than any of the dazzling lights surrounding them. “Come on.” Jisu tugged Daniel towards the stage, and Daniel followed willingly. Jisu released Daniel’s hand the moment they reached the edge of the stage, and Daniel felt a slight sense of loss. But it was okay, Daniel supposed when Jisu gave him one last grin before mounting the stairs, because whether or not they were holding hands, Jisu would always be there.

“Let’s do this,” declared Daniel. And he stepped into the blinding spotlight with the members and Jisu by his side.