Sing To Me

Sing To Me

 

Jongwoon sat at the empty table, in his usual spot in the corner of the busy cafeteria. He pulled his hat further down his face, his fluffy black hair peaking out of the sides, he began to eat his lunch. He had his earphones in, his MP3 player on full volume, this way he could block out the world, just a little bit more. He had just pierced his drink carton with his straw, before it was swiped from his hand. His earphone got ripped out of his ear roughly. He looked up slowly, sighing.

"Freaks don't get privileges!" the condescending voice called down.

Jongwoon stayed quiet, he knew better than to try to reason with these people anymore.

"Not thirsty are we, freak?" the bully mocked.

"C-can't you just leave me alone?" Jongwoon asked quietly.

"Now why would we want to do that?" another guy walked forward, whilst the first happily on the straw noisily. 

"I haven't done anything to you Kangin" Jongwoon whispered, holding back his tears. 

He had promised himself to never cry in front of the bullies. They targeted him everyday, usually at lunch, they made going to school the hardest thing. Jongwoon didn't know what he'd done to deserve it, but they'd chosen him as their victim. The worst part of it was that even people younger than him would join in. They constantly called him a freak and a loner. He'd gone home many times with a bruise added somewhere on his body. Lately, it was really taking it's toll on him. He'd just about had enough.

"It doesn't matter, you're still a freak, a freak with no friends. Apart from that stupid turtle of yours.. Yeah we know about that stupid thing, see, even your pet is a freak" Kangin laughed. 

"Stop it" Jongwoon pleaded, his head looking to his feet.

"Kangin, he's trying to tell you what to do!" the first bully piped up, throwing Jongwoon's empty drink carton back at him, hitting him harshly in the face.

"I think you're right, Heechul. He is isn't he? He's trying to talk down to me" Kangin replied, anger bubbling in his voice.

"I-I wasn't, I swear" Jongwoon tried to explain.

Heechul snorted. 

Jongwoon got up to try to leave, but before he had chance to take even one step, he felt a fist hit his face hard. He fell backwards over the chair. He pulled himself up, blood trickling from his lip. He couldn't hold in the tears any longer. He ran out of the cafeteria, the hallways and out of the school grounds completely. He didn't care that he'd get in trouble for skipping the rest of the days classes. He couldn't stay there anymore.

He walked around town aimlessly for a little while, it had began to rain pretty heavily, so he decided to go home. The second he walked into his house, his mother stood with a stern face, arms crossed in the hallway. 

"Where were you Jongwoon? The school called, you didn't attend any of your afternoon lessons" she questioned raising her eyebrow slightly.

"I felt sick" Jongwoon replied, his head down. He hated disappointing his mother.

"You didn't go to the nurse, the school checked. They aren't happy, at all. And neither am I" she said, her face like stone.

"I'm sorry" Jongwoon apologized.

"That's not good enough, you have detention every day this week. You will attend them, on time. Do you understand me, Jongwoon?" she carried on.

"Yes" Jongwoon answered, heading to his room.

 

***

 

Jongwoon sat on his bed, he put his headphones on and lay back on his bed.

He closed his eyes and he sang. He sang of all the pain and loneliness he felt.

 

*** 

 

He walked into school the next day, people didn't even acknowledge him, at all. He attended his classes, he didn't go to lunch, he stayed in the music room, playing around with the keyboards. The bell rang for the end of the day and he walked towards the detention hall. He'd never had detention before, he was always a good student, putting all his efforts into his school work. 

He walked to the desk, where someone from the student council told him he had to sign in. 

"Siwon runs the session. Just listen to him and be quiet. Okay, you can go in now" the boy said.

"Siwon? As in class president Siwon? HE runs detention? But, he's a student!" Jongwoon questioned, surprised.

"Yup" was all the other boy replied.

Jongwoon had no reason to protest further so he pushed open the door and walked into the silent hall.

The hall was completely empty except for a fidgety blonde guy, sat at the back and Siwon, who sat at a large desk at the front of the room, a frown on his face as he scribbled away at some sort of paperwork. At the sound of the door closing, he looked up.

"Jongwoon?" he asked, a gentle smile spreading across his face.

Jongwoon nodded.

"Just take a seat anywhere you want, I'll come over in a second" Siwon explained, still smiling reassuringly.

Jongwoon took a random seat, about half way towards the back.

He heard an exaggerated sigh come from the blonde guy behind him. Jongwoon turned around, the guy merely shrugged. Every few seconds, another sigh would be heard, until he moved on to scratching his ruler against the table.

Siwon slammed his pen down on the table. 

"Hyukjae! Shut up! Annoying me is not going to get you out any sooner, okay?" He said.

Hyukjae just beamed a sarcastic smile at him, before sinking back into his seat, sighing once again.

Siwon couldn't concentrate on his paperwork any longer, so he got up and took a seat next to Jongwoon.

"Hi, my names Siwon. I'm the class president" he introduced himself.

"I know who you are" Jongwoon replied simply.

"Okay. Well, you know why you're here. But, our detentions are a little different. You will have two sessions here in this room where you will get time to reflect on your mistakes and think about what you have done. Then for the rest of the sessions you will be given activities to complete. They are compulsory so I wouldn't try to object. It wastes time. But they are fairly enjoyable so I wouldn't panic too much, okay Jongwoon? Do you have any questions?" Siwon explained, his voice slightly like he was talking to a child.

Jongwoon shook his head, he was too tired to complain.

"Okay then great, Hyukjae will be joining you during the sessions. But please, do not talk during the first two, as I said, these are for you to reflect on your wrong doings" Siwon patted his shoulder before returning to his desk and his paperwork.

Jongwoon rolled his eyes as he walked away. Who the hell did this guy think he was? he thought to himself. 

After about ten minutes, he felt something hit him in the back of his head. He looked to his feet, it was a scrunched up note. 

'HELLO DETENTION BUDDY! ^^'  the note read.

Jongwoon turned around quietly, to find a grinning Hyukjae waving to him. He turned back around. Jeez, this guy. 

He wrote back, 

'What?' 

Throwing the note aggressively back to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae wrote something back and had his arm raised to throw the paper, when Siwon spoke, not even looking up from his papers.

"You throw that note Hyukjae and you'll be in detention for an extra two weeks" 

Hyukjae dropped his arm, cursing under his breath. 

Jongwoon laughed quietly, before putting his head on the desk to sleep.

He felt a hand on his shoulder.

"No sleeping here Jongwoon" a voice told him.

He opened his eyes, Siwon was standing above him, a sympathetic look on his face.

"Ya! Why are you much nicer to him than me?" Hyukjae called from behind them.

"Because this is his first time in detention, you are here every week and to be quite frank, Hyukjae. I am getting sick of you" Siwon said, his hands now on his hips.

Hyukjae huffed.

"Pfft, Love you too Wonnie!" 

 

***

 

The two 'reflecting' sessions went by pretty quickly, they were full of Siwon and Hyukjae's bickering, Hyukjae's complaining and Siwon's paperwork. Jongwoon usually sat there, quite amused at the pairs behavior. He noticed that Siwon wasn't really that bad, that he didn't enjoy punishing the other students, but did it fairly when needed. Jongwoon could see the stress on his face whilst he was biting on his pen doing his paper work. Jongwoon also noticed how handsome the class president was. He was tall, lean, had dark hair and soft, yet stern eyes. Jongwoon found himself looking at him a lot, it's not like he had much else to stare at during the sessions, he'd never admit it but even if there was, he probably would anyway. 

Siwon would always give a tired smile to Jongwoon as he left, before replacing it with a frown as Hyukjae passed. On the second day, as Jongwoon walked down the corridor to leave, Hyukjae followed him.

"So, first activities tomorrow. You wanna know what it is?" the blonde guy looked much happier now he was out of the room.

"Uh, sure" Jongwoon replied, still walking, hurrying to get home.

"Dance" Hyukjae revealed. His eyes sparkling.

Jongwoon stopped walking and felt his heart sink. He couldn't be serious.

Hyukjae nodded, seeing the disbelief on his face. 

"Why the hell would they have that as an activity for people in detention? It makes no sense" Jongwoon complained.

"Because I asked for it. It's the only activity I don't complain about so Siwon insisted that it stays" Hyukjae shrugged.

"You dance?" Jongwoon asked, slightly intrigued. 

"Mhmm" Hyukjae hummed, nodding again.

Jongwoon didn't like this, he didn't like it one bit. He couldn't dance at all.

"Will Siwon be there?" He asked suddenly.

Hyukjae smirked.

"Whhhyyyyyyyyy?" His voice had a hint of a sing-song tone to it.

"No reason, I was just wondering" Jongwoon said quickly, feeling his face blush a little.

"Don't lie. I saw the way you looked at him in the hall" Hyukjae was positively ecstatic now.

"I was not! I don't even know what you're talking about!" Jongwoon whispered hastily, walking off to hide his now bright red face.

"See you tomorrow detention buddy!" Hyukjae called happily as he walked away.

 

***

The next day arrived much quicker than he wished for. He walked towards the activity room, still wondering whether Siwon would be there to witness his embarrassment. As he entered the room, Hyukjae was already there, sat on the floor, stretching. There was no one else in the room, he sighed with relief. 

Hyukjae looked up. then told him to start stretching. 

"Where's the instructor?" Jongwoon pondered.

Hyukjae just smiled and waved.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding? You're the instructor? But you're in detention too!" Jongwoon couldn't believe it.

"Yup, why pay for an instructor when they have me, who is always here in activity sessions anyway" Hyukjae explained.

He had a point, it was quite logical when you thought about it.

"Siwon will come in and out to check we're actually doing something and to sign us in" he added.

Jongwoon just prayed he wouldn't come in whilst he was dancing, doing it in front of this idiot would be bad enough.

Speaking of, Siwon entered the room that second.

"Hey guys. Just got to sign you in" he said, he sounded tired.

He held out a form for them both to sign before smiling and exiting the room. Jongwoon felt a little disappointed that he didn't stay longer, but Hyukjae was already starting the music. 

As soon as Jongwoon saw Hyukjae dance, he was astonished. The way that guy moved was crazy, he was so passionate about every step and was completely engrossed. Jongwoon didn't think Hyukjae could concentrate on anything after his behavior in the previous sessions.

Hyukjae started to teach Jongwoon some simple moves, but Jongwoon kept messing them up. He was definitely not having fun, he thought as they tried for the tenth time.

 

***

 

Damn it, they signed in the wrong box, Siwon thought frustratingly to himself as he arrived back to the student council office. He had so much to do. They still hadn't found anyone to represent the school in the region schools singing contest. They just couldn't find anyone who was interested in competing or anyone who could sing well enough. He sighed as he turned back into the corridor to head back to the activity room.

As he approached, he heard music pumping through the door loudly. Looking through the small glass windows, he saw Hyukjae and Jongwoon, dancing. Well, Hyukjae was dancing, Jongwoon was throwing his arms all over the place, it was clear that he was making up the steps, his voice shouting something Siwon couldn't hear clearly. 

Siwon found himself smiling, watching the dark haired boy. He looked cute, flailing about the place. He watched them until the song ended, before shaking his head, snapping himself back to reality and entering the room.

"Hey guys, you signed the wrong box, can you do it again? Sorry to disturb your, uh, dancing" he said, noticing Jongwoon's face blush immediately.

"Oh lies Wonnie, you just missed us!" Hyukjae giggled, receiving a scowl from Siwon. 

Jongwoon walked over and signed the correct box. 

"Nice dancing" he whispered.

Jongwoon gasped, tried to speak, but ended up stuttering a few inaudible words.

Siwon smirked, Hyukjae's loud laugh screeching behind them.

"See you later" Siwon said after Hyukjae had signed too. As he left, he heard Hyukjae's laugh echoing down the hallway and a 'shut up' from Jongwoon.

He was feeling much happier and relaxed than before his visit, now, if only he could find a singer.

 

 

***

 

As Siwon cycled home from school a few hours later, he pressed the brakes suddenly. 

A voice could be heard, the most beautiful, voice he'd ever heard.

So beautiful that he nearly fell off his bike hearing it. 

It was coming from a house window. 

Who's voice was that? Siwon was determined to find out. 

He got out his notepad and wrote the address down neatly.

 

 

***

 

 

The second days activity was cooking. Jongwoon was not looking forward to this either. Their instructor Ryeowook stood at the front, explaining something that Jongwoon wasn't listening to, before handing out aprons. Ryeowook threw a blue apron towards Hyukjae, who caught it just before it hit his face.

"Too fast for you Wook!" he laughed.

Ryeowook shot him a glare, before handing Jongwoon a pink one.

Jongwoon looked at him in disbelief. 

"You're kidding right?" he asked, he could see the amused look plastered onto Hyukjae's face without even looking.

"No, sorry, it's all we've got. Since sessions are between two students, we never need more than two. Hyukjae always has the same, so, this is left for the other. Again, sorry" Ryeowook apologized, before returning to front.

Jongwoon looked at the apron in his hands, it was pink with cupcakes all over it. He reluctantly pulled it over his head, cursing quietly at Hyukjae's chuckling.

Jongwoon was putting his cake mix into the oven when Siwon arrived to sign them in. Siwon was smiling happily at Jongwoon as he approached, Jongwoon was memorized. His smile was so bright and perfect. He was caught in a daze. Siwon greeted him, pulling him back to reality, but startling him slightly, causing him to burn his hand on the hot stove and drop the cake mix. 

"Are you okay?" Siwon asked worriedly, taking Jongwoon's hand in his to inspect the burn.

​He noticed how small Jongwoon's hands were.

"Yeah, I'm fine" Jongwoon replied, pulling his hand back and on his burnt finger.

Siwon cocked his head to the side watching Jongwoon's actions.

"Go run it under water, I'll clean this up" he then ordered.

Jongwoon stood running his finger under the water, it didn't hurt that much. He looked over to find Siwon cleaning the floor, he was so kind... He didn't need to do that, Jongwoon thought, before looking over to Hyukjae's station. Hyukjae stood pointing to Jongwoon for some reason, then he pointed at his own apron. Jongwoon looked down and remembered what he was wearing. He had totally forgotten about the cupcake apron. He mentally slapped himself. 

He walked back over to Siwon, shyly. 

"Pink suits you" Siwon smiled brightly, Jongwoon couldn't tell if he was being serious or not.

"Hell no, it doesn't!" Jongwoon protested loudly. 

"Yes, it does. So does this" Siwon teased before flicking some cake mix on Jongwoon's nose.

Jongwoon gasped before throwing some back at Siwon.

They playfully threw the mix about, faces full of smiles and laughter. 

"Watch out, Wonnie! Or you'll be in detention too" Hyukjae called, snapping Siwon out of the moment.

"I have to go finish some things, I'll see you guys to sign out" he sighed, before leaving the room.

Jongwoon chuckled upon noticing a blob of cake mix in his hair as he left. 

 

***

 

Siwon couldn't get the voice out of his head all day. He had to find the man who was singing in that house. He called over one of the student council members.

"Kyuhyun, can you find someone for me?" he asked quietly.

Kyuhyun stood in silence.

"Uh, well, I don't think that'd be a good idea. Maybe you should find someone yourself. You know, that's personal" he replied.

Siwon just stared at him, an eyebrow raised.

"Oh.. You mean.. Find someone, a specific person for something? Oh I see" Kyuhyun caught on,

"Yeah sure. Got an address?" he answered.

Siwon handed over the piece of paper.

"Give me until tomorrow, I'll have it for you" Kyuhyun smiled, pushing his glasses up his nose and wandering back to his computer.

"By the way, you have something in the back of your hair"

 

***

 

The third days activity was singing. Jongwoon froze on the spot when Hyukjae told him. They arrived at the activity room, where their singing teacher was waiting. 

"Hyukjae" he greeted simply, before smiling to Jongwoon.

"Hi Jongwoon, I'm your singing teacher for today, you can call me K.Will" he introduced himself. 

He told them to choose a song that they enjoyed or related to and then they would perform it in a moment.

Hyukjae decided to go first, but got interrupted after a few seconds.

"How many times Hyukjae, you have to sing, you can't just rap the whole song.. Jongwoon, why don't you perform your song, whilst Hyukjae picks another song to SING"  K.Will suggested.

Jongwoon gulped,

"Uh Sure" he said, his hands shaking. He hadn't sung in front of anyone before. 

He cleared his throat and sung the first few notes of his favorite song.

 

***

 

Siwon was walking down the hallway towards the activity room, when he was stopped in his tracks. That voice. There it was. Singing, beautifully. Right there at his school. He walked to where the sound was coming from, it was coming from the activity room. That voice definitely didn't belong to Hyukjae. But it couldn't possibly be Jongwoon, could it? 

He looked in through the glass window and there he was. The most beautiful sight he'd seen. Jongwoon was singing, putting all his emotions and passion into his song. Siwon was blown away. 

 

***

 

He decided not to interrupt at that moment. He listened to the whole song, before turning to leave. He thought about the singing contest and how perfect Jongwoon would be for it, but he had the horrible realization that Jongwoon would most likely be very against it. He decided to think the idea over for a while.

He forgot about signing in the pair completely, until they both turned up, Hyukjae demanding an explanation, sprouting some bizarre idea that he was trying to get him in further trouble, until Siwon pulled out the sign in form for them to sign, explaining that he'd simply forgotten. This shocked Hyukjae so much that he requested Siwon stay home for a while as he must be sick.

Hyukjae said his goodbyes and left. Jongwoon smiled as he signed his form. 

"Want to get coffee or something?" Siwon's voice asked.

Jongwoon looked up. Was Siwon asking him on a date? Jongwoon wondered.

"There's a coffee shop down the road, it's nice" Siwon carried on, giving him a wide smile.

"Um, okay, sure" Jongwoon nodded.

 

They walked out of the school grounds and it started to drizzle with rain slightly. Siwon pulled an umbrella out of his bag. Jongwoon had the idea that he probably had everything and anything in that bag of his, but didn't comment. Siwon pulled Jongwoon closer to him to stop him from getting wet. Jongwoon looked up to say thank you and Siwon smiled down at him. 

Wow, that smile may just be the death of me, Jongwoon thought dizzily. Turning away and facing the street before them. 

They arrived at the coffee shop after a few minutes, Siwon went to order the coffees whilst Jongwoon found them some seats. He chose a comfortable looking sofa in the corner, upstairs. He didn't wait long before Siwon found him, two steaming hot coffees in hand. 

"Thanks" Jongwoon said as he handed him his.

Siwon just smiled, nodding.

They sat in silence for a little while.

"Why do you run detention?" Jongwoon broke the silence.

Siwon thought a little before answering.

"To help people" he replied.

Jongwoon didn't believe him.

"Okay, fine. I do it, to kill time. I don't like to sit around doing nothing" Siwon admitted.

Jongwoon laughed softly,

"That's my favorite thing to do" he smiled back.

They both laughed a little. 

They spent at least an hour talking, about all kinds of things. It took a while for Jongwoon to talk about himself, he preferred to listen to Siwon telling him all about the school council and all the different people in the office. Jongwoon was surprised with how open Siwon was with him and Siwon realized that Jongwoon was scared of trusting people. Despite this, they talked for a long time. Both happily enjoying the others company. Siwon remembered the singing competition.

"Hey Jongwoon, I have something to ask you" he said smiling.

Jongwoon's heart skipped a beat, he nodded encouragingly. 

"Well, there's this singing contest coming up. And well, we don't have anyone to compete for our school. So I was wondering could you do it?" He asked slowly.

Jongwoon's heart dropped, then his face screwed up.

"W-what? How do you even-? Why would I? What?" he asked confusedly. 

"I heard you singing" Siwon said.

"Today?" Jongwoon asked.

"Yes.. And the other night, at your home" Siwon admitted.

Jongwoon didn't reply for a few seconds, before looking at Siwon.

"That's the only reason you asked me here today wasn't it?" he asked, he sounded hurt.

Siwon thought carefully how to word his answer.

"No, well, yes, I wanted to ask you, that's why I asked originally, but I've had such a nice time and I really like being around you and talking to you" He explained.

"No, shut up Siwon. You were going to use me to do what you wanted. Why the hell were you at my house listening to me? And today, what gave you the right? No, no way. There is no chance I'm doing it. God, there was me thinking this was some kind of, I don't know-" 

"Date?" Siwon finished for him.

Jongwoon glared at him, before grabbing his things and leaving. 

Siwon sat at the coffee shop for a further 12 minutes, before sighing heavily and getting up to leave.

 

*** 

 

There was only one more session of detention left for Jongwoon, a conclusion session. Jongwoon didn't really want to go, but he knew if he didn't he'd be stuck there for much longer. He walked towards the detention hall, the student council member informed him that Hyukjae wouldn't be attending since he still had a week left to his detention 'sentence'. 

Jongwoon entered the hall, at the desk, was Siwon. Head laying on his hands, fast asleep. He looked peaceful, Jongwoon realised. He decided not to wake him and just took a seat in the hall. Every now and then he would glance forward at the sleeping boy, realizing that Siwon was right. He had wished it was a date the night before. He knew now that he liked the class president, in a more than friendly way. He groaned at his self confession. 

Siwon started stirring, then sat up and rubbed his eyes. 

Great, he looks unbelievably cute now too, Jongwoon complained in his head.

Siwon noticed Jongwoon sitting a few rows back, he sat up immediately. 

"Sorry. I didn't know you'd arrived. I must have fallen asleep, how long have you been here?" he asked.

"57 minutes" Jongwoon replied.

Siwon's eyes widened.

"That means I can leave in another 3" Jongwoon then stated.

"Sorry, Jongwoon but you have to complete the conclusion questionnaire. And why did you not wake me?" Siwon asked, he sounded a little flustered trying to adjust back to his authoritative role. 

Jongwoon shrugged.

"Don't know, you seem like you need to get some sleep. I didn't want to disturb you" he answered honestly.

Siwon just looked down at his paperwork, then back up at Jongwoon a few seconds later, smiling very faintly.

He passed Jongwoon a form to fill in and they sat in silence for a few minutes.

"I never meant to offend you Jongwoon, I think your voice is amazing" Siwon said, causing Jongwoon to stop writing. 

"R-really?" he asked quietly, looking up. 

Siwon smiled genuinely.

"Yes. The second I heard it, I was speechless" Siwon carried on.

"Okay now I know this must be a joke" Jongwoon said, starting to feel uneasy.

Siwon walked over and sat down next to him, looking seriously into his eyes.

"I'm being serious. When I heard you singing at your house, I didn't know who it was, but I was addicted. I couldn't get that voice out of my head, I don't know how I didn't realize it was you, your voice is so, just.. Even when you're speaking, I hear it, the magic of it" Siwon realized he probably sounded cheesy and wasn't sure if Jongwoon would believe him but it was the truth.

"Yesterday was the first time I sang in front of anyone. I can't even sing in front of my own parents. So, I can't sing in a show Siwon, I just can't. I'm sorry" Jongwoon whispered, he looked sad. 

"Okay, don't worry" Siwon replied, surprising Jongwoon when he pulled him into a hug.

Jongwoon hugged him back after a few seconds and they stayed there for a while. 

"You're just as lonely as I am aren't you?" Jongwoon whispered.

Siwon didn't say anything, he just nodded yes.

 

"Will you sing for me at some point?" Siwon asked delicately, a few seconds later.

"Sure" Jongwoon replied.

 

*** 

From that day Jongwoon let Siwon sit in the music room whilst he sang, he couldn't look him in the eye whilst doing so, mainly staring at various parts of the wall. Siwon didn't care, he never took his eyes off Jongwoon for a second, he realized that he probably loved his voice more than anything else in the world. This went on for weeks, the pair growing closer silently. They began to eat lunch together, Jongwoon's bullies not daring to even come near the table. They met at the school gates every day and would walk home together. 

One day in the music room, after Jongwoon had sung quite an emotional ballad. Siwon couldn't help but bring up the subject of the singing contest again. 

"But Jongwoonie, you'd have such a great chance of winning and just trust me, I'd be there with you the whole time" Siwon pleaded.

"I've told you not to call me Jongwoonie" he replied, ignoring the rest of his sentence.

"No, it's cute" Siwon smiled.

"Okay then Wonnie" Jongwoon smiled back.

"Oh please don't. I can hear Hyukjae's laughs from here" he groaned.

"Then no Jongwoonie, I'm sorry" Jongwoon replied smugly.

"Okay... Then how about...." Siwon thought deeply ".. Yesung. Yes. Yesung" 

"What? What does that mean?" Jongwoon asked, puzzled.

"Go find out" Siwon smiled, ruffling Jongwoon's fluffy hair before he left, leaving Jongwoon slightly perplexed.

 

*** 

 

Yesung - Art Like voice

 

***

 

Jongwoon met Siwon at their usual place by the school gates.

"Fine, I'll do the contest. But only for you, so you'd best appreciate it" he said before starting to walk.

"What? Really? You will?" Siwon followed, now extremely happy and excited.

Jongwoon nodded.

"This is great, good, okay, so it's next week, we have lots to do. Come on!" Siwon muttered, dragging Jongwoon back to the school. 

 

***

 

That week was full of planning, Siwon doing paperwork and Jongwoon in the music room practicing. He knew which song he wanted to sing, but he'd never sung it in front of anyone, not even Siwon. It was really hard to sing and most professional vocalists had a hard time getting the breathing right. But, he decided he would sing it. When he told Siwon, he was a little shocked at first, before smiling and telling him he knows he'd sing it beautifully.

The night of the contest arrived and Jongwoon was getting more and more nervous as the performers went on, they were good, they were really good.

"You're better than them, Jongwoon, okay?" Siwon whispered softly, his hands on Jongwoon's shoulders.

They were backstage, it was Jongwoon's turn next.

"Just pretend it's just me and you, in the practice room, like always, just us. Forget every one else, okay? Just me" Siwon said, pulling Jongwoon into a gentle hug. He felt Jongwoon nodding yes.

"Okay, and next, give a big welcome to.... Yesung! Singing The More I Love You" they heard the announcer call.

They pulled apart, Siwon smiled reassuringly. 

"Go on, Yesung" he said, squeezing his hand.

Jongwoon nodded and walked slowly on to the stage. Siwon made his way down the stairs and in to the front of the crowd.

The bright lights blinded Jongwoon and as the music started he was sure he was going to pass out. He looked into the crowd, scanning for one person. Finally his eyes connected with the person he'd been searching for. He started to sing, not breaking the eye contact even for a second. Siwon smiled proudly, still amazed at Jongwoon's voice every time he sang a note. The song came to an explosive end and Siwon stood in complete awe. He pulled himself together and started pushing his way through to get backstage again.

 

Jongwoon walked off the stage feeling completely alive, those people had cheered! For him! He started searching backstage, but stopped when he felt a warm embrace from behind. He shut his eyes and enjoyed the moment.

"You did amazing. You are amazing. You're perfect and flawless and I love you, Jongwoon" Siwon's voice breathed into his neck.

Jongwoon turned around to face him.

"I wanted that date too, you know" Siwon told the smiling Jongwoon, before leaning in and kissing him gently.

"Thank you, I love you too" Jongwoon said with watery eyes, when their kiss broke.

Siwon wrapped his arms around Jongwoon's smaller body and they just stood there, ignoring the rest of the world.

 

"And the winner of this years contest... Is.... Yesung! With a HUGE 80% of the votes!" a voice called out in the background, Jongwoon and Siwon too engrossed in each other to realize or care.

"You won you idiot! Get on the stage" they heard a familiar voice call, ripping them apart. 

They turned to find a beaming Hyukjae.

"The second I heard you'd entered, I knew you would win. I've heard you sing before too remember.. I also knew that you two would end up together" he explained smugly.

Siwon scowled playfully and Jongwoon got pushed back onto the stage.

 

***

 

Jongwoon looked out to the crowd, they were clapping, cheering, all for him. He held up the trophy in his hands and laughed as the cheers got louder, he turned to the right and looked at his smiling boyfriend waiting in the wings, with his annoying but lovable friend and he realized that he probably couldn't feel happier than he did right then.