The TaeHana Date - (for _hana_)

YYM TV's Date with a Star!

 

“Hello and welcome to Date with a Star, where we make your dream date with your bias come true! I’m your host Choi Siwon and we’re here at Samcheok Beach for our first dream date!” Choi Siwon announces brightly as he stands in front of the ‘Samcheok Beach ‘ sign. He smiles proudly, as if waiting for the applause to stop before continuing. There was very little applause, as the beach was pretty deserted except for a few locales. Maybe the crew will add in more applause later when they’re editing?

“So, to start things off, let me introduce you to our lucky chosen fan, Hana Hwang! Come on up, Hana!”

I look around for this Hana person to step up. Siwon seems to be looking at me with an expectant look on his face. I smile at him, waving a little.

“Come here, Hana. Did you forgot your own name?” He beckons me over.

Oh yeah. I AM Hana Hwang.

And I DID forget my own name.

                “I’m sorry!” I cry out as I run over towards him. My Angry Bird hat falls off halfway, and His Tallness the Shisus laughs at me.

                “Oh my God, I don’t want to do this anymore! I just wanna go home!” I say, sitting on the warm sand. I really do want to go home. I don’t care if I win some contest for a date with my bias, I’m too nervous to go on! I mean, Taemin’s even late for the shoot. What if he doesn’t show? Does that mean the whole show’s gonna get cancelled? Oh shoot, all they’re gonna have for this pilot episode is me sitting in the sand.

Alone. All alone.

                As Choi Siwon walks closer to me to help me up, a shadow lands right in front of me. A shadow much too skinny and much too short to be Siwon’s.

                Through the hair that’s blocking my eyes from front view, I can see Siwon stopping and smiling broadly. “I was gonna announce you later, but, yeah, now is a good time to show up. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Hana’s date, Lee Taemin!”

                Some girls on the sidewalk cheered (why aren’t they at school and when the HECK did they get here?) as Taemin the shadow extends his hand to me.

                Oh my god.

Lee Taemin.

                He’s here.

                And he’s trying to hold my hand.

I look up into the most beautiful face I had ever laid my eyes on.

                He’s smiling at me, and with the sun shining brightly (okay, it wasn’t that bright, but you can still tell that it’s the sun and not- Sigh. You know what, just let me describe Taemin’s beauty and not bother with details, okay?)

Now let’s try that again.

                Taemin’s smiling at me, and with the sun behind him, he looks like an angel with a halo emitting from his face, stretching out a hand to a poor human girl.

                And at that moment I realize that I’m sitting in the sand kinda pathetically.

                Taemin is still standing in front of me with his arm outstretched to me, holding the Angry Bird hat in his other hand. Taking a deep breath, I take his hand and get up. He pulls me up surprisingly easily. I mean, just look at him and how delicate he looks.

                Sigh.

                “Hi. I’m Taemin.” He offers a hand again, this time for a handshake.

                “Hi. I know.” GARGH! WHAT DID I JUST SAY?! “I mean, I’m Hana.” I stare into his smiling eyes, ready to dive into the amazing love story that we’re gonna have together. But then Siwon just had to in.

                “Over here, lovebirds. You don’t get to fall in love until I say so.” Siwon says, dragging Taemin and I by our shoulders over to the small platform that the crew prepared. I bow my head in embarrassment and Taemin smacks Siwon with the Angry Bird hat.

                My precious Angry Bird hat.

                Let me tell you, I would FLIP whenever someone even touch that treasure of mine, but since TAEMIN’s the one doing it, I could only smile and wish that I were that hat instead. And BROMANCE! HOW CUTE IS THAT?

                “Oh, sorry.” Taemin says when he realizes that he just slapped Shisus with someone else’s furry hat and he gives it back to me with that dazzling smile of his. I put it on then take it off again, just in case I look weird wearing an Angry Bird hat on the beach.

                “Okay, okay, settle your hormones.” Siwon says. “Now, since this is the first episode, we have to explain to the viewers how this program works, right?”

                “Not we, YOU have to. YOU’re the MC.” Taemin says, holding his hand up to me for a high-five. I high-five him demurely (well, at least as demurely as how I think demure should be, and how do you HIGH-FIVE demurely anyway?). This is great. I’m bonding with my crush- I mean bias.

                Siwon glares at Taemin but smiles at me very warmly. “Well, is this the reality you wanted, PD-nim? IS THIS THE REALITY YOU WANTED?” He asks with that creep-Siwon face to the PDs, who just laugh.

                “Well, never mind the introductions. We can just edit you in. In the meantime, let the kids go have some fun.” Jung PD tells Siwon from behind his visor. I don’t get why the man insists on wearing that visor. I understand that we’re at a beach, and visors are a beach-thing, but it’s not even sunny.

                But Jung PD was very nice and he helped (but failed) to calm my nerves before we start the shooting, so let him wear the visor if he wants to. Besides, he just told Siwon to let me and Taemin have a private time.

                Thank you PD!

                “Siwon smiles really genuinely at the camera that I just wonder how much patience this guy has. I mean, he just got smacked by a kid six years younger than him when he’s trying to stick to the script, but then got told by the guy who actually pays him to stick to the script, to NOT stick to the script. You know what I mean?

                But my pity for Siwon lasts only about four seconds long because the next thing I know, Taemin’s dragging me away from the main platform and 70% of the cameramen started to chase us. The other PD, Yun PD got up from his squat and starts to chase us too, along with some girls who are most definitely stylists.

                In the middle of my confusion, I look over at the girls who were watching us earlier. They’re trying to chase us too, but there are some huge guys over at their side, trying to keep them far enough from me and Taemin.

              “Taemin! I know that you’re excited since this is your first date since kindergarten and all, but please-stop-running!” Yun PD heaves as he stops several feet behind us. “We’ve got a show to record, you know?!”

                Taemin just stands there and grins and it took all my willpower to not jump on him and start ruffling his hair like a mad puppy owner. He’s just SO adorable!

                “Yeah, we should... stop running. I’ve seen the schedule they laid out for us. Some of the stuff could be fun.” I say what I could with dry lips and a voice that wouldn’t come out. I’m pretty sure that all my nerves just got left behind back there with Choi Siwon and Jung PD. My heart’s still thumping really loudly, but that’s because we just ran so suddenly.

Taemin smiles. “I know; I just wanted to make him exercise for a bit.” He says as he shakes hands with Yun PD, who pulls him in for a bear hug. I guess they know each other.

                “We know each other.” Taemin says to me. I nod. Yes, Taemin, I can assume that.

Maybe he felt the need to clarify that just in case I think it’s okay if I suddenly hug him too.

                “Okay, so first, you guys can just walk here, get to know each other a little bit, all the way up to the beachfront stores over there. Then I guess you can buy ice-creams or I don’t know, a cold drink for a thirsty PD or something... Then you guys can head over to the water edge if you want to. I don’t know, just do your thing.” Yun PD says, finishing off with a shrug.

                “I thought you had a schedule?” Taemin asks him, looking back and forth between Yun PD and me.

                “That was back-up, in case you guys got really awkward. We’re gonna ask Siwon to help us too if you guys don’t know what to do. In the meantime, WALK!”

                He said that with so much fire in his eyes that Taemin and I almost scampered our way to the stores.

                But instead, we walk side-by-side on the sand. I’m freaking out because I don’t know what to do with my hands. Do I hold his? That’s a no-no, right? Do I put them on my side? Do I clasp them together? Oh god, I’ve forgotten what I normally do with my hands when I’m not walking with a cute guy. And not just a regular cute guy, but Lee freaking Tae freaking Min! Should I put them on my head?

NO! Who walks with their hands on their head anyway?

                Milkmaids. They put the milk jars on their head and their hands hold the milk jars up, so that’s counted as walking with their hands on their heads, right?

No, that doesn’t count since they’re holding something. Anyway, Hana dear, YOU ARE NOT A MILKMAID.

                I’m not a milkmaid. Yeah, I’m not a milkmaid!

You’re not. Congratulations for figuring that out, genius. Now calm down and ask Taemin if he had a nice trip.

                Thank you, left brain, for always being there for me and being all logical and rational when right brain’s all like, “DADADADADADADADADA CIRCUS DADADADADADADA AFRO”

                “Did you have a nice trip?” I turn to Taemin and found out that he’s lying face down on the sand. “Taemin-I mean Mr. Lee- I mean Sir, what are you doing down here?”

                Taemin looks at me with a slight glare and it sent chills, CHILLS I TELL YOU down my spine. And not the chills that you get after you saw something amazing, it’s the chills you get when something SCARES you. “I... tripped.” He says. I could almost swear that he’s gritting his teeth.

                “Oh.” I say awkwardly, wishing that I can take back my inappropriately-timed attempt at being friendly. “Over what?”

                “Does that really matter?” Taemin asks as the cameraman tries to get a shot of his sticking up in the sand. “Aren’t you gonna help me up?”

                Oh, shoot. The man sounds pissed. “Umm... okay.” After putting on my hat, I hold out a trembling hand but Taemin just gets up on his own.

                “Never mind. Maybe next time.”

                We walk in an awkward silence. Again. I glance at Taemin to see if he’s mad but his face’s devoid of emotions. It’s bad enough having your bias kinda mad at you, it’s worse to have five cameras capture it in five different angles and distance.

                “I’m sorry. I was asking about your trip here to this beach, I wasn’t making fun of your fall.” I say quietly. Taemin heaves a deep sigh in response.

                Okay, hold up.

                I know that people dress him up in girl clothes and all, but right now, Taemin’s acting like a real-

                “Wanna go for banana milk?” Taemin asks suddenly, smiling wide, like nothing happened.

                “SURE!” I lap up at the chance of making up with Taemin. Wait, were we really fighting just now?

Oh, yay, our first couple fight!

               

 

 

                We head for the beverages fridge immediately once we’re in the store. “Should we get something for Yun PD?”

                “Yeah, a cider will be great.” Taemin picks up a bottle of pear cider and hands it to me. “How about this?”

                “Oh, I’ve tried this. It’s really good.” I put the chilled bottle inside the basket Taemin’s holding. “Didn’t you want to get banana milk?”

                Taemin immediately smiles and reaches over for a short yellow bottle. Aww, look how happy he is! And look at us! We’re like a couple shopping for food!

                “What do you want to drink?”

                “I’ll just have this.” I grab my favorite Monster out of the fridge.

                “A MONSTER? Do you like wanna go for a run after this?” I notice that Taemin’s laugh is much manlier than the one he does on TV.

*x* I LOVE IT!

                He’s walking in front of me as we head to the cash register, where a girl who looks to be in her late 20s is taking a picture of Taemin. Apparently, the cashier here is a fan. I feel like wrapping my arms around Taemin just so I can show off the fact that Taemin’s on a date. With me.

                I keep getting distracted by all the delicious snacks on the shelves next to us that I didn’t realize that Taemin had stopped. The next thing I know, my nose hits on Taemin’s  left scapula as I walk into him. It’s a good (read: disappointing) thing that we didn’t fall onto each other like in the dramas. Instead, Taemin turns and HOLDS ON to me before I can fall.

                TAEMIN HUGGED ME.

                Okay, so that’s the story of how I died in the arms of my beloved husband before we got married.

                The end.

 

 

               

 

                No, just kidding. But yes, my blood froze in my veins and I’m pretty sure that my O.O face was caught on multiple cameras. Which means that thousands of other fangirls are gonna know the face of the girl who rammed into Taemin’s back and took advantage of that to hug him.

                Yun PD-nim, I’m gonna need the biggest bodyguards you can find.

               

 

                OK, now back to The Accidental Hug.

 

 

                I’m standing with my face pressed flat into Taemin’s collarbone, and I’m practically kissing his chest. It’s kinda what I’ve always dreamed of (hugging Taemin, not kissing his chest) (well, that too, but not in front of everyone like this) (forget I said that); yet the whole situation is just so ridiculous that I just had to pull myself away from his arms. Besides, the fans who’d chased us here (looks like the crew’s gonna need to hire bigger bodyguards!) are either squealing or glaring at me with fire in their eyes.

                “What just happened?” Taemin frowns, but not in an angry way; in a confused way.

                “I’m not sure. I was just walking, and suddenly... You stopped. And I just kept walking... And yeah.” I try to explain, but my heart’s still burning with passion embarrassment that translates so well onto my face that I can’t distinguish the Angry Bird hat from my face when I look at my reflection.

                “Why’d you stop?”

               Taemin’s face wasn’t red at all. He must have gotten used to random hugs with random people. “I was wondering... Should we get drinks for the crew too?”

                Several bystanders ‘Aww...’-ed and ‘He’s so sweet and thoughtful!’-ed. I smile, feeling proud to be on a date with such a kind-hearted guy. “Why not?” We try to weave through the throng of people who I don’t even realize were in the shop to get back to where the drinks are.

                “Let’s just grab what we got for Yun PD.” Taemin suggests. I shrug and help him load the basket with as much drinks as we can.

                After successfully plowing through the crowd again, we managed to get to the cashier. The girl who’s the main cashier is smiling at Taemin with such a silly look on her face.

                I hope I hadn’t looked like that whenever I smile at Taemin.

                She helps us scan each item and the crowd actually helped to count all the other drinks that we got for the crew. “31!” The crowd cheered. It was almost heart-warming to see all these people from all walks of life becoming one, but then I remembered that they’re not supposed to be here at all.

                BACK OFF PEOPLE, THIS IS MY DATE!

                But anyway, the amount came to a number that made me raise my eyebrows as I wait for Taemin to pay. But he didn’t. Instead, he just stands there with his hands in his pockets, with a panicked look on his face. “I don’t have money with me. Do you?” The cameramen tried not to laugh, but I saw the cameras shake anyway.

              “Oh my gosh!” I cover my mouth with my hands. “I don’t have money either, I left my stuff at the production tent!” Now what? Do we have to put all these drinks back? That’s so embarrassing! “Can I sell you my hat?” I try to joke but the cashier just looked at me with SUCH AN ANNOYING, ‘Pfft, girl, you’re not good enough for Lee Taemin’ FACE OHMYGOSH HOLD ME SOMEBODY OR I MIGHT JUST CUT HER.

Hana, you can’t murder someone on a date.

Thank you left brain. I just roll my eyes and try to steady my breath. Taemin’s starting to look apologetic as he says, “Maybe we shouldn’t get anything after all. I’m sorry.” He’s looking at me while I’m still doing my bishface at the cashier. I immediately try to relax all my tensed face muscles.

                “Oh no, it’s okay.” I wonder if Taemin thought that I was mad at him. “Let’s just put these back, okay?” I try to carry the basket back to the drinks fridge but the basket didn’t budge. Wow, it’s really heavy.

                Taemin must be really strong to carry the basket all by himself.

                “Hana, I’m sorry.” Taemin apologizes again. He remembers my name! And he looks really, really sorry. I don’t know why he’s being sorry, actually. I was just mad because that cashier was totally judging me and my Angry Bird hat just now.

                “Why are you apologizing? I didn’t bring any money either!” I say and laugh. And excuse me while I gloat, but that seriously was the best laugh I’ve ever done. It sounded very twinkly and feminine, if I say so myself. Even the bishy cashier looks impressed with my perfect half air half voice laugh.

                So here we are again, trying to lug the heavy basket back to unload it because neither of us have any money. I notice that none of the bystanders offered us any money or help with the basket. Oh NOW you realize that I’m supposed to be on a date with Taemin? NOW you guys realize that you’re supposed to leave us alone? I offered my precious hat just for Taemin’s sake, but these fans can’t even sacrifice some money to buy us 31+2 drinks. Some fan they are.

                But before we can actually make it to the fridge, Jung PD calls out from the doorway. “Here, use our money.”

                ALL HAIL JUNG PD!

                Taemin and I almost dropped the basket as we try to run over to give the main PD a hug. But of course we can’t actually run in the crowded store. It’s hard enough to walk, let alone to do a Hindustan-style slow-motion run into the arms of a loving... PD.

                After Jung PD pays for our drink, he gives a speech towards all the people who had gathered. “It’s a really nice day outside today.” No it’s not. It’s balmy and not sunny at all. Take off your visor. Oh wait, you treated us to drinks. That’s okay, keep your visor, Jung PD. Wear it to sleep, to shower, etc.

                “Thanks for all your support and love for Lee Taemin, and I hope you’ll watch our show when it comes on. Maybe even apply to win a date. But for now, even though I understand that this is a public beach and I can’t ask you to go away from it; as the Director of this show, I do hope that you give the star and his date some respect and privacy. Please. Thank you and have a nice day.”

                Taemin and I, along with Yun PD and several cameramen clap when Jung PD finishes his speech.

“See what a charismatic man Jung PD is? You can’t even lend us some money to buy drinks.” Taemin nudges Yun PD, who sticks his tongue out at him. Now that I think about it, Yun PD is so much younger than Jung PD. And he’s quite good-looking.

                But of course, no one can beat my Taemin. After we’re done distributing the drinks (I made sure to be as demure as I can), Taemin opens my Monster for me and we do a spontaneous love shot.

                The people around us (who are watching from a safe distance, Jung PD really got to them) made ‘Woo!’ sounds and whistled. One of the guy seven shouted, “You guys look good together!”

                Oh man, PDA is totally embarrassing. It’s not even like we kissed or anything. We just hooked our elbows together and took a swig from our drinks.

                It did look funny, though. The guy is drinking banana milk while the girl is having a Monster.

                Oh well.

                So after the little love shot, Taemin and I just head in the direction of the water edge. It’s about 11 a.m., the sun’s shining weakly and the sea and the sky seems to merge together in the horizon. It’s not the perfect beach scene, but something about the cloudiness of the day makes everything feel so romantic.

                And of course, the romantic atmosphere is actually because of this guy standing next to me. I look up at him sipping the last of his banana milk and realize that we haven’t really talked.

                “Do you like the beach?” I ask tentatively, taking off my flip-flops and kicking them closer to the water edge.

                Taemin takes off his shoes and kicks them away too. “I do. You must love it too, right? Otherwise you wouldn’t have picked the beach to be our place of date.”

                “I like the beach, but I’ve got to admit that I was imagining it to be sunnier that this. It’s still early, I know, but it’s usually pretty bright by this time of the day.” I’m kinda surprised that it’s not really all that hard to talk to Taemin now. Maybe it’s because I’ve personally seen his embarrassed face earlier in the store.

                No, I’m not being egoistic. It’s just that now I believe that he’s just a human like me, too. Even though he’s probably worth a million won by now, Taemin’s still a guy who might forget to bring his wallet sometimes.

                 I find a large, flat rock and start to climb it. Hmm, this makes a pretty nice sofa. It’s cold and hard, but at least it’s not poking through my .

Meanwhile, Taemin chooses to sit on the sand. “Why did you pick me to be your date?” He looks at me, his hands in his pockets again, with a fascinated look in his eyes like when he’s trying to understand Yoogeun. Aww, I miss that little kid!

                Because you’re my husband. Now that we’ve met, you may officially propose to me.

                 “Because you’re my favorite member in SHINee.” In K-Pop. In the world. “By the way, do you guys still meet Yoogeun?”

              Taemin laughs. “We still do. In fact, I think he’s at that age when he’s starting to like girls. Do you want his number?”

                “Isn’t he like, five? And he likes girls already?” Taemin’s drawing something in the sand. I crane my neck but I can’t see what it is.

                Taemin laughs and the line that he just drew got wonky. He quickly erases it with his heel. “What’s so funny?” I ask and get down from the rock, getting closer to Taemin.

                “The other day, when we visited him, he tried to hit on me. He thought I was a girl.”

                “He tried to hit on you?” I laugh too, imagining Yoogeun wiggling his little eyebrows at Taemin. “Kids these days... When I was that age, I couldn’t even hit on a baseball.”

My giggling grows uncontrollable when I see that Taemin had drawn a stick girl and a stick boy, with our names and today’s date underneath. He even drew a Monster can and a long-haired baseball. He wrote ‘Yoogeun’ underneath the ball. Why does that baseball have hair and why are you so cute, Taemin?

                “Here, talk to him.” Taemin suddenly shoves a phone near my ear and a cute voice speaks up.

                “Taeminnie appa? Appppaaa!”

“It’s Yoogeun! Oh my gosh, it’s Yoogeun!” I flail my arms in excitement. He sounds older than he did on Hello baby, but he’s still cute-sounding.

                “What is this? You’re fangirling over Yoogeun more than you’re fangirling over me! That’s not right. Bye Yoogeun, I’ll call you later!” Taemin takes the phone away from me and gives it to his manager.

                Oh yeah, the crew is still following us, of course. But the fans and other people are keeping their distance.

                “Did you just get jealous of Yoogeun?”

                “Well, yeah. I mean, he likes girls now. And girls like him much more than they like me. Exhibit A.” He then proceeds to flap his arms like a chicken.

                I squint at his weird behavior before I kick some sand to his shin. “Are trying to imitate me? I did not do that!”

                “Yes you did! You were like, ‘Oh Yoogeun, you sound so manly!’”

                “When did I say that? Yun PD, did I say that?” I scan the arc of production crew for a sign of the younger PD but I can’t see him.

                “Oh, that’s right, now you’re even flirting with Yun PD. Are you sure you want to go on a date with me?” Taemin kicks back some sand gently in my direction.

                I can’t believe it. He’s flirting with me. And he’s even being jealous.

That's just Fanservice.

                Shhh, left brain, go take a nap!

                “I still like you more that I like Yoogeun.” I say, keeping my face close to the sand as I scratch out the ‘Yoogeun’ that Taemin wrote underneath the baseball and wrote, ‘Lee Taemin’ and an arrow pointing to the ball.         

“Hey, do you by chance has some extra clothes?” Taemin asks, edging closer to the water. Here it comes. The inevitable play by the water flirting scene. I make sure my hat’s properly in place and takes a final swig of Monster.

                I approach him, putting on my best flirt-smirk. “Why, you wanna borrow a dress or something?”

                I heard a cameraman go, “Oooh, snap, girl!” and another one go, “Oh, no, she didn’t!” and I just about fall over into the water. Literally. Thank god it’s shallow around here.

                “What?! I didn’t even do anything yet!” Taemin says, holding out a hand. That’s the second time he’s helping me up today. Now I feel bad for not doing the same when he tripped earlier. Hey, good thing he forgot all about that, huh?

                I reach out for his hand but he just high-fives it and takes my hat, running away with it.

                MY HAT!

                “Serves you right for not helping me when I trip earlier!” Oh shooooooooot, he DIDN’T forget.

                “Well, let me help you now!” I catch up to him, tug on his knee and he falls into the water right next to me. I laugh and some saltwater get into my nose and it HURTS and my Angry Bird hat, my precious Angry Bird hat is soaked but nothing matters at that moment because I’m with Lee Taemin, my ultimate bias ever.

He’s smiling, and this time, his smile is for me and me only.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Choi Siwon smiles at the screen. It’s showing a girl with a red hat taking a picture of a boy in a blue t-shirt by the beach. Then there’s a close up of some drawing in the sand, which looks like two stick people, a long-haired baseball, a cylinder with some M-shaped scratches on it, and some sketchy writings.

‘What did these kids draw and why does it look like a long-haired baseball? Oh, young love...’ Siwon muses to himself.

“And with that lovely montage, we end our first episode today, folks! I’m Choi Siwon and this has been ‘Date with a Star’! See you next week!”