Fate brought me Pain but no Regrets

Fate brought me Pain but no Regrets - KhunWoo

 

 

It was July 1950 in Thailand. A poor family made their living by producing rice in Chiang Mai. The Horvejkul family had two sons. The youngest son Nichkhun woke up early at the morning to take a look at the rice before making breakfast. When he was outside it wasn’t the rice field that caught his attention but someone at the neighbor’s rice field. Some people he has never seen before were talking to his neighbors. It’s very rare to see strangers at this area. He hid behind some trees to take a better look at the strangers. His older brother came “Nichkhun, what are you looking at?”

“Who are they?” Nichkhun asked his brother and looked at the strangers.

“That’s the Korean family who escape the Korean War.”

Among the few Koreans there was this boy. Suddenly the boy noticed Nichkhun so Nichkhun looked away fast “L-let’s make breakfast...” he said to his brother and rushed to the house.

 

Later when he was working at the field with his family he couldn’t stop looking at that young boy. He was indeed very cute. The boy looked back at him and he looked away again and pretended to just work. He decided to peek once more. Just a bit. So he turned over to look at the boy and the boy just smiled at him. Nichkhun picked up a flower and walked to the boy and handed it to him. The boy smiled to him and said “My name is Wooyoung”

“Oh! My name is Nichkhun! I didn’t know you speak Thai too!”

“I don’t understand...”

“Uhmm... How old are you?”

“I don’t understand...”

“What DO you understand?”

“No”

“...” Nichkhun gave up and just gave him a light smile before going back to work.

 

The day after Wooyoung worked but couldn’t make himself focus on his work so he looked after Nichkhun but couldn’t find him. Suddenly he felt some hands around his waist and turned around surprised. And there he was, Nichkhun. Wooyoung smiled “Nichkhun!”

“I know you don’t understand what I’m saying to you right now but I will take you out tomorrow!”

“Tomorrow”

“Yes”

“Tomorrow it won’t rain!”

“What? You understood it?”

“I understand ‘Tomorrow it won’t rain’”

“... okay... uhmm... but I will take you out tomorrow, okay Wooyoung? Tomorrow!”

“Tomorrow.”

“Yes tomorrow!”

 

So as promised Nichkhun picked Wooyoung up after work the day after and took him to a rice ceremony. Wooyoung looked excited and curious. Nichkhun handed him a bowl of water. Wooyoung were about to drink it but Nichkhun stopped him and signaled to Wooyoung he should wait. Wooyoung got surprised and scared when he heard the loud sound of a crazy cat. “What?” He asked and looked at Nichkhun. Nichkhun pointed at his own bowl and threw water at the cat. Wooyoung did the same with a weird expression on his face. The cat was just screaming like crazy and trying to get away but couldn’t.

“A crying cat brings good luck with the rice and will bring us rain.”

“Rain?”

“Not that Rain.”

 

As the days went Wooyoung learned more and more Thai and one day he came to Nichkhun running and whispered “I love you” Nichkhun smiled “Are you sure you know what that means?”

“I understand” Wooyoung answered smiling. Nichkhun held him tight and said “I love you too Wooyoung.”  He said and kissed Wooyoung. They were happy and everything was so perfect until July 1953.

Wooyoung woke up and saw a bunch of roses near his bed with a letter in Korean saying “Let’s go to the city and get some really good food we can eat together. From your Khun” Wooyoung rushed outside and there Nichkhun was, waiting for him.

“Shall we go?” Nichkhun asked smiling.

“Yeah let’s go!” Wooyoung said and took Nichkhun’s hand.

They went to the city in Nichkhun’s family car and Nichkhun showed Wooyoung a new restaurant.

“It’s a Korean resaurant! They just opened.”

“Oh my god, really? It’s been so long since I got some Korean food!”

They went inside and got some food. “Khun... You can’t image how happy I am that you took me to this place. It’s like being home again!”

“You really miss Korea don’t you?”

“A bit but its okay I really start to feel home here in Thailand. I like my life here. My life is perfect as it is right now.”

“Wooyoung... I want to be with you, live with you, be by your side the rest of my life.”

“Khun...” Wooyoung was out of words so he just smiled with teary eyes. Nichkhun gave Wooyoung a warm and passionate kis. But as everything seemed so perfect there was a surprise waiting for both Wooyoung and Nichkhun when they went home.

Wooyoung ran home as happy as he was and found the house empty. He found a letter on his pillow and opened it. Nichkhun came inside later and saw the letter and the plane tickets Wooyoung was holding in his shaking hands.

“So... you’re going home?” he asked silent.

“The war is over...” Was all he could say as much as he was crying. Nichkhun held him tight like he would never let him go with tears in his eyes too. “So you’re really going back to Korea aren’t you?”

His family and the host family came back home and ran to him holding him “We’re finally going home! Finally the war is over!” his mom said holding him crying of happines. “Finally we can live happily in peace back in Korea”

“I’m so happy Mom.” Wooyoung held her really tight so she couldn’t see his tears weren’t tears of happiness.

Nichkhun didn’t understand what they were saying but he saw how the whole family were. He understood that Wooyoung really was going home, and they would never meet again. He smiled to the family drying off his tears saying “I’m so happy for you!” and left. As he was outside the house he ran home but slipped in the rice field and fell in the water. He just sat there in the dirty water crying for hours.

 

The following days they both tried to act like nothing was going to happen but knowing their time was very limited and all the hidden sorrow between them made all their last moments sad and awkward.  When the day came where Wooyoung had to go back home they held each other for hours, the one last kiss was like it lasted forever but ended too soon. This would be the end of their time together. “Wooyoung... Do you really have to go?” Nichkhun asked with tears in his eyes.

“I have to go with me family...” Wooyoung answered crying making Nichkhun fall on his knees clinging to him crying. “Please stay with me... I love you... I will do anything please just stay... I beg you... please...”

“I... I’m so sorry Khun... I just can’t” Wooyoung said and entered the car. Nichkhun took Wooyoung’s hand before he closed the door. “One day, please come back to Thailand... or I WILL get to Korea and find you.”

“I will look forward to see you again Khun... I love you... please don’t ever forget me...”

“I love you too Wooyoung... Please... don’t forget me either... I promise we will meet again and then I’m never letting you go ever again!”

“Thank you Khun... I will be waiting for you...” Wooyoung said and closed the door and the car drove away.

In the city when they were on their way out of the car Wooyoung smiled and held his whole family close “I’m sorry everyone... But I really can’t go back to Korea... This is my home... here with Nichkhun. I can’t live without him. If I get on that plane I know I will never see him again... Please forgive me.” He got back in the car and drove to a jewelry store and spent all his last money on a ring. He was going to propose to Nichkhun so they could stay together forever. He drove back to Chiang Mei but when he was almost there...

 

Nichkhun locked himself in his room crying hitting and kicking everything he could get his hands on. Suddenly he heard someone calling his name outside and he was sure it was Wooyoung so he just ran outside as fast as he could. But it wasn’t Wooyoung it was just his older brother. “What’s wrong Nichan?”

Nichan ran the the house so fast he was exhausted. He took held Nichkhun’s hands. “Nichkhun... There was a car crash... not far from here... our neighbors’ car was in the accident... Wooyoung was on his way back with them... but...” Nichkhun pushed Nichan away and ran to the village as fast as he could and right outside the village he found the car crash with doctors and police officers everywhere.

“WOOYOUNG!!” He ran but got stopped by a police officer. “Wooyoung! Where’s Wooyoung? Is Wooyoung okay?” The officer placed his hand on Nichkhun’s shoulder but before he got to speak Nichkhun saw Wooyoung and ran to him. He was lying on the ground bloody and pale. They covered his body with a blanket. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” Nichkhun yelled and held Wooyoung’s bloody body “You stupid idiot... Tell me this isn’t true... Wooyoung... Please don’t leave me once again... I was really going to go and find you in Korea as promised... so why did you have to come back? But this isn’t a goodbye do you hear me Wooyoung? This is not the end... We will meet again and be together forever... I promise, Wooyoung... Wait for me wherever you are... I will find you...”

 

 

Many decades later in Korea. “Hello Everyone! My name is Nichkhun. My Korean is not so good yet but I will do my best.” The new JYP Trainee from Thailand said to the rest of the trainees. Later a young boy greeted him “Hi, my name is Jang Wooyoung.”