Introduction to the story

Living Arrangements

 

It had already been five years since the debut of EXO, and together the twelve boys had stuck together through the good times and the bad times to reach where they were. The only difference between now and then was that their popularity was explosive and they were not boys anymore. All twelve of them were well into their twenties and working hard to release their next album. The superstition that artists crashed and burned after their fifth year was looming over their heads and they were determined to prove that like their company sunbaes, they too would stick together and make sure they succeeded.

It was in their second year that their popular rose to the point that each member's individual schedule was often jam-packed and the moments they could spend together became far and few in between. Besides the mandatory three hours of dance practice every night, the EXO members only ever saw each other the day of performances and when they were required at the SM building for either meetings or recordings. Even at home the members rarely saw each other, as the dorms only purpose had become sleeping and showering.

 With the sudden onslaught of variety show appearances and drama role requests, EXO-M had long since made Seoul their permanent home, only going to China for three weeks of album promotions and when a particularly big TV show requested they appear.

In their third year of activities, the members had finally been given the option to upgrade their living arrangements. As they had all made a hefty sum of money from their individual activities over the past year and a year, the company allowed them to move out of the dorms and into their own homes. The dorm had been mandatory for the first three years in order for them to truly come together and be a team. Now that it wasn't mandatory, they each had a big decision to make: was having their own space and own privacy worth having less time with their members?

The twelve boys had spent nearly all night on one of their days off discussing the pros and cons of moving out of the dorm and what decision they should make. There was laughter and smiles as well as arguments and tears as the members talked about past memories they shared while staying in the dorm. It was at 5AM the following morning that they had finally come to a decision on who would leave and who would stay. It was with a satisfied smile that the twelve of them finally crawled into their beds and let their eyes close, awaiting that same afternoon in which their final decision would be told to their managers and the preparations would begin.