Chapter 3

Romancing in Hospital

“Do you remember how did you meet with an accident?” Jaejoong asked.

Jessica closed her eyes and tried to recall back but her mind was a blank sheet. She had zero memories and her head start to throb when she tried to dig up her memories which was buried so deep. She hit her head with her fist and sobbed. “I don’t remember anything.”

Both Jaejoong and Tiffany widened their eyes and stared at the agitated Jessica who kept hitting her head, “My head hurts. Why do I not have any memories of my past? Who am I?!”

“Please calm down, Jessica. Everything will be fine. I will arrange a detailed check up on you,” Jaejoong grabbed her hand, giving her assurance and comfort.

“Nurse Fany, please wheel the patient in 10 minutes time while I go and prepare for the scan,” he instructed Tiffany before he left.

Tiffany prepared the wheelchair and wheeled Jessica to the scan room. Before they enter the room, Tiffany gave her hand a light squeeze, “You will be just fine.”

“Thank you,” Jessica flashed a weak smile.

After hours of check up, Jessica was wheeled back to the transferred ward. Dr Kim then returned with Tiffany and saw Jessica spacing out. He had read her report and doesn’t know how well she can take it if she had known the truth but it was his responsibility to break the news to her.

Sensing there are people staring at her, Jessica looked up and smiled. “Dr Kim, Nurse Fany.”

“Well, Miss Jung, I have read your reports and I am glad to inform you that you are physically stable. You will just need to stay in for 2 days under our close surveillance before you can discharge. However…” he paused to examined her reaction.

“However…” Jessica gazed at him.

“I am sorry to tell you that you have lost your memories but it does not affect your basic daily skill. That’s a good news in exchanged with the bad,” he continued. Jessica eyes widened, tears started to swell in her lids but she tried to hold it back. Did he just say she has lost her memory? Then who exactly is she? What does she do in the past? Where are her kins? “What’s her real identity?”

The room was filled with moments of silence until Jessica spoke in her softest, uncertain tone, “Dr Kim, may I know if there is any possibility that I can gain back my memory?”

He smiled at her and said, “I have met with many similar cases and 90% of them actually recover their memories. It could take days, months or even years. But to answer your question, I can only say chances could be quite high. So Miss Jung, you have to be patient and optimistic.”

“Thank you Dr Kim, I will.” She felt a sense of relief but at the same time, a little afraid and lonely.

“You are welcome Miss Jung, for now just rest and I will come to check you up later evening,” Dr Kim patted her shoulder and she nodded.

“Miss Jung, it is a miracle that you woke up. You are in pretty bad shape when you were brought into the hospital. Your survival chance was less than 50% but Dr Kim did not give up and perform a high risk operation on you. Thankfully, the operation was a success and although you remained coma for months, we believe that you will wake up eventually and you did. I believe that the lucky star is with you all the time and look after you. I trust that you will gain back your lost memories pretty soon as long as you don’t lose hope and don’t stress yourself too much, alright?” Tiffany sat by her side and comforted her with a hug.

Jessica nodded. “I owe it all to Dr Kim and you. Thank you so much. Thanks for your encouragement, I will stay hopeful.”

“I’m happy to hear that,” Tiffany chirped. “I need to attend to other patient. Get some rest, okay?”

After Tiffany left, Jessica finally broke down in tears with all the build up and unexpected emotion running inside her. To be honest, it is hard on her to receive such news and there is no one here with her to support her.  

Without knowing, Jaejoong make a detour back to Jessica room to check on her and only to find her crying. “Miss Jung, what happened?”

Jessica quickly wiped her tears. “Nothing is wrong,” she shook her head and forced a smile.

“Are you not feeling well anywhere?”

She shook her head. Jessica is taken aback when Jaejoong used his thumb to wipe her tears. “No matter what happens, we will always be here for you. Fighting!”