=D

Rythme de l'amour

 

Min Seo's POV

'Dammit!’

I ran up the staircase, heaving my weighty cello on my back, imagining how it would be if I could magically make my leather cello case feather-light.

I somehow made it to the top of the staircase, and held the banisters for support, panting. Today was another day I’d experienced the ‘Stairway Of Doom’ which was, unfortunately, the only way to my class. That sounds seriously lame, I know, but that’s what everyone called it. Names stick, you know.

I wiped off the thin film of sweat that covered my forehead, and adjusted my glasses. The only bright spot on the horizon was the cello. I play the cello (captain obvious) and love it. I went to one of the mullioned windows which were the hallmark of our institution and watched the filtered sunlight hit the floor, forming a beautiful crisscross pattern. This gave me a great feeling, and reminded me of Ave Maria. I forgot about my battle with the stairs and began humming the tune. I really felt like playing the cello.

Why not?                                                                                                      

I hastily propped the cello up on my shoulders, and clutched my music sheets firmly. I walked into an empty music room on the right. Perfect. I uncovered my cello, and it shone beautifully in the light. It was brown with a mahogany finish, and pure white strings. Oh, how I love my cello. I arched my back, placed the cello on my arm, and drew the bow across it lovingly. This was beauty, I decided, as I went on to play the beginning notes of Ave Maria. The sound reverberated around the room, and surrounded me. It was filling me with unidentifiable happiness.

I gently the strings and played the midway harmony, and I was just reaching the peak of satisfaction, utter satisfaction with my playing, when-

‘J-jogeyo!’

I stopped playing abruptly. Oh, no! Someone discovered me playing! How embarrassing!

I looked at him. He was dark-haired, had slightly flushed cheeks, and had big eyes. I was taken aback. He looked at me with apparent wonder.

‘Um- chesuomnida!’ I said, going red. Man, just today someone had to see me play. My heart beat faster. He looked kind of- beautiful.

He looked weirdly at me again, and said , ‘A-aniyo, I mean- you play beautifully.’

‘Um, gee, thanks, I mean,  there were a few notes that were off.’

‘Actually, my band came here to practise. I’m the lead singer of a rock band, so- I’ve come to see whether this room was empty. We need it, because our schedules are so busy and we can’t practice enough.’

‘Uh-yeah.’ I packed up my cello, sighing.

I looked at him, he seemed a little discomfited. He seemed to be going through an internal struggle.

‘D- D’you want to stay and watch us practice?’

‘A-aniyo, I think I’ll be more of a hindrance than help.’

‘Couldn’t you stay?’ His voice became a plea, and he seemed to wilt with disappointment.

Min Seo, get a grip on yourself.

‘Um- I really, really need to go. Seriously. I have to practise  Bach after this,’ I lied automatically.

Then I bowed, and left the room. I saw his bandmates coming up the stairs, and one was carrying a set of drums.

I sped up, walking towards the mullioned windows again. Then I felt my face, and noticed it was warm. I looked at myself in one of the thin strips of mirrored glass that bordered the windows, and saw, to my surprise, that I was completely, and totally red.

 

Hong Ki’s POV

I was going crazy.

We’d had some crazy gigs at clubs, and we’d garnered loads of support. But if loads of support, implied fangirls stalking you everywhere, then it was problematic. We just had a job trying to avoid one, who stayed up till the early hours of the morning to stalk us all the way to the college.

Yeah, we come here every morning to rehearse. I affectionately glanced up at the large white building and sighed.

I had to struggle coming upstairs, for I was carrying a heavy amplifier. Yup, the Stairway Of Doom. Oh man, why did the administration of this place have to make torture-devices for its students? The long hours were enough. I half-walked, half-ran all the way upstairs to check on our music room.

Then, I heard it.

It was a beautiful cello melody, coming from- coming from our music room. I was impressed at the music, but I felt a little indignant and surprised. Who’d come here this early in the morning?

I crept towards the door, and silently opened it. It didn’t creak, thank goodness.

The sight that met me- was nothing short of- incredible.

A girl sat in the middle of the room, playing the cello. She stunned me, with her deft playing. My breath seemed to vanish as I saw her draw her bow lovingly across the strings and them with her nimble fingers. Her face showed perfect, incandescent happiness. She had her eyes closed, and her body was swaying gently to the rhythm. I felt this inexplicable desire to touch her. She was playing more vociferously now, and looked radiant. She looked so beautiful, that I felt like swaying to the rhythm of the cello alongside her.

Then suddenly I remembered what I was there for. Hong Ki, get a grip! Say something, !

‘J-jogeyo!’

She stopped playing and opened her eyes. She looked even more beautiful. She looked quizzically at me, then suddenly sprang up from her seat.

‘Um-chesuomnida!’ She said, blushing.

‘A-aniyo, you play beautifully,’ I said involuntarily.

‘Um, gee, thanks, I mean,  there were a few notes that were off.’

Hong Ki, don’t just keep gaping at her like an idiot.  Say something! Go on!

‘Actually, my band came here to practise. I’m the lead singer of a rock band, so- I’ve come to see whether this room was empty. We need it, because our schedules are so busy and we can’t practice enough.’

‘Uh-yeah.’ She packed up her cello, and seemed put-off.

I frantically told myself, Hong Ki, try to cheer her up!

‘D- D’you want to stay and watch us practice?’ I offered.

‘A-aniyo, I think I’ll be more of a hindrance than help.’

Aww. A normal girl would have given up anything to do this, but she didn’t seem normal.

I pouted, hoping that this would persuade her to stay.  ‘Couldn’t you stay?’ I said, a pleading tone in my voice.

Way to getting rid of your pride, Hong Ki.

‘Um- I really, really need to go. Seriously. I have to practise  Bach after this,’ she said, becoming bright red. She looked so adorable all of a sudden.

Then she bowed, and left the room.

I took in a deep breath. Blood rushed to my face and I felt buoyant, and extremely happy.

‘Why’re you smiling so much?’ said Jong Hun, as he entered the room.

‘Nothing.’ I hastily altered my expression, and began fixing the amplifiers.