Shy Hearts [ONE-SHOT]

Shy Hearts [ONE-SHOT]

 

"sorry,"

 

That's what it takes to made him fell for her. She doesn't have a small pointy nose or big eyes. But her smile is enough to captivate him.

 

It was a year ago and he couldn't believe his luck when he found her sitting next to his usual spot in the class. She's wearing a tank top layered with a loose shirt and a pair of skinny jeans.

 

She was too concentrated in her daydream to notice his presence. He pulled his chair and sit, praying that no one could his heartbeat.

 

After a while, she finally snapped out of her own world and saw him looking at his phone. Feeling being watched, he looked up and their eyes met. And there it was once again, the sweetest smile he has ever seen was drawn in her face.

 

"hello." she said.

 

He couldn't say anything. He just stared at her, struck by how gentle her eyes are, how pretty her smile is, and her curious expression.

 

"Um, are you okay?" her voice snapped him back to reality.

 

"um yeah. I'm fine." he mumbled only to hear her tinkling laugh.

 

"I'm Haneul." she introduced herself.

 

"Lay. My name is Lay." he replied and shook her hand.

 

"Lay? That's a nice name. Are you not korean?" she asked.

 

He shook his head and smile, showing his dimple.

 

"I'm from China. I moved here a year ago." he replied.

 

"Really? I moved from Canada a month ago to live with my brother." she grinnned.

 

Their short conversation was interrupted by a guy calling her name. Her head turned towards the source of the voice and her eyes brightened.

 

"Oppa!" she waved and motioned him to come  closer.

 

Lay turned his head towards the door, wondering who the guy is, only to get the biggest shock of his life.

 

"Kris?" he asked, while the latter nodded with a grin.

 

"What's up? I see you've met my sister here."  he pointed at her.

 

He couldn't belive his luck. Fate sure has his way. He saw her nodded excitedly.

 

"He'll be my desk partner. Isn't that awesome?" he heard her say to her brother.

 

Kris chuckled and ruffled her affectionately.

 

"Take care of this dimwit right here for me, Lay. She's very clumsy." Kris said.

 

Lay nodded and chuckled when she pouted and slapped his brother's arm.

 

"I'm not a dimwit, you beanpole!" she retorded.

 

Lay watched them bicker, trying to find any resemblance between them but found none. And his mind started to work, wondering why they're related when one of them is chinese and the other is korean.

 

He saw Kris plants a kiss on her forehead before he left.

 

"You're very close with your brother." he said.

 

She nodded and her eyes twinkled in a way that made him jealous of Kris.

 

"He's the only person i have, you know." she smiled.

 

Then he remembered how Kris came home to the apartment they shared, wasted and was trying so hard not to cry. Is that why? Did their parents left? He kept thinking, oblivious to Haneul who kept watching him. When he looked at her, she abruptly turned away, blush creeping up her cheeks.

 

"Haneul" he called, gathering his courage.

 

She faced him and tilted her head a little, waiting for him to continue.

 

"Do you like cakes?" he asked.

 

She nodded, her eyes once again brightened, causing him to chuckle.

 

"i know a great coffee shop that sells delicous cake. Do you... want to come with me later?" he asked, his voice lowered by seconds as he tried his best not to let his voice shook.

 

He held his breath as he waited for her answer.

 

"I'd love to." she smile as he once again thanked God for his endless streak or luck.

 

*****

 

 He walked down the hallway with haneul when the class has ended. She was very talkative despite her quiet appearance and she managed to bring out his childishness.

 

"oppa," her eyes squinted at the tall figure not far from them.

 

"Let's go there first, lay. I need to talk to my brother before we leave." she said.

 

Her brother was just walking to his locker with his fellow friends when he noticed her walking closer. His lips curved upwards and his eyes soften when she stopped in front of him with Lay following behind.

 

"you're done?" he asked.

 

She nodded and glanced at the few figures next to her brother before turning to face Kris again.

 

"I'm going to get some cake with Lay so you don't have to drive me home." she said.

 

Kris raised his eyebrows as he secretly exchanged looks with his little sister who just blinked at him, feigning her innocence.

 

"okay then. Don't go home too late okay?" he pats her head.

 

She nodded and turned around with a smile.

 

"Let's go!" she chirped.

 

Lay had to chuckle at her enthusiasm as both of them leave the university ground.

 

*****

 

 "Is that your sister?"  

 

"Yeah. And she's taken! So no one can pursue her." he smirked triumphantly.

 

The tall guy frowned.

 

"But she's not dating Lay."

 

"Yet." Kris cuts him off and grinned.

 

"Lay likes her doesn't he?" chanyeol, the tall guy asked.

 

Kris nodded and walked off with his friends.

 

"And i'm guessing your sister likes him too." his other friend, Kai said.

 

They all laughed as they saw Haneul and lay exiting the gate with shy smiles on their faces. 
 
*****
 
2012/07/13 friday
By seoulchae
 
 
It was supposed to be a longer story [or so i've planned] but i guess this worked as well lol
enjoy. it's my first time/second (i think, i'm not so sure lol) writing one-shot.
Do tell me what you think :) :) 
 
<3 Seoulchae