Prologue

Still Yours

 

 

A cool breeze blew in through the open window, causing my bangs to repeatedly lift up and back down. I stared at the ceiling, letting out a sigh and shutting my eyes. From outside, I heard the faint laughter and conversation of what sounded like a couple of my age. Sitting up, I shut the window in annoyance and flopped back down.

              “The door’s open,” I sighed as someone knocked on the door. Tilting my head to the right, I watched as my older brother Dong Min peered in and smirked.

              “Hey, I have to talk.” He said, plopping down on my bed.

              “Oh, I’m so sorry. Should I leave so you can have some privacy?”

              “Shut up, Ho Sook.” I stuck my tongue out at him, crossing my arms and looking to the wall. I heard him sigh and kick up his feet. “As I was saying,” Dong Min continued, yawning. “I’m moving into Kyung Mi’s place, so I’ll be moving out of here.” I shifted my glance to the window, looking down at the people passing by below.

              “I’m sorry, what?”

              “I’m moving into Ky-“

              “I heard you. Who’s Kyung Mi?”

             “My girlfriend.” I turned around to stare at him, looking for any signs to prove that this was a joke.

              “Girlfriend? Since when have you had a girlfriend?” Dong Min laughed and sat up, propping his back against the wall.

              “Since three years ago. She came over here before. Honestly, Ho Sook. Tell me you aren’t that forgetful.” I shrugged and looked away.

              “So… you’re leaving here?”

              “That’s pretty much what moving out means.”

              “What about me?” I asked, turning to face him again. “You can’t really expect me to stay here alone, do you?” He turned to me and grinned.

              “Here’s the good part. It turns out that a friend of mine is looking for a place to stay.”
              “Would that friend happen to be me?” I added in sarcastically, glaring. Dong Min ignored me and continued.

              “So I offered him to stay here, so long as he watches over you and doesn’t make a mess of things.” My eyes widened.

              “What? You’re inviting some- some stranger to live here with me while you run away with some girl?”

              “It only sounds bad when you phrase it that way.” Dong Min said, getting up and stretching. “I have to pack.” I shook my head in disbelief, watching him as he headed to leave.

              “Wait!” He paused and looked over his shoulder. “Hyung, please. I don’t even know this guy. What if I get killed?”

              “I assure you, you won’t be killed.” Dong Min paused, considering something. “Not by him, at least.” He added, grinning. I groaned.

              “Well that’s reassuring! Thanks, hyung!” I replied sarcastically. Turning around, he examined my face.

             

“Hey, Ho Sook. This is just a word of advice, but work on your aegyo. You look like you want to kill me.” He laughed to himself and walked out. Resisting the urge to say that I did want to kill him, I shook my head and sighed in defeat.

“Fine, hyung! Can you at least tell me his name?” I called out after him, peering past the half open door. For a moment it was silent.

“Kang Daesung.”