My Nerdy Bestfriend

My Nerdy Bestfriend

MIDDLE SCHOOL

I had this childhood friend his name is Sunghyun. I never had any friends besides him. Both of us were outcasts. Braces, glasses, a bookworm, in short… a hundred percent nerd. We grew up together, having been neighbors. Anyways, the thing is… his father and my mother are ex-couples. I really am grateful that they never thought of getting married after losing their partners, because even though Sunghyun was such a nerd, he is my first love.

One time, the two of us were left at our house with my nanny, and she was watching this movie, I forgot the title and the whole time she was watching, she was like an idiot. She was blushing, giggling and there are times when she is also crying. I stared at her in disgust; I do not understand a thing. When I looked at Sunghyun, he was grinning mischievously… I think he understands… but how could he?

Later that afternoon, we stayed at the pond behind their house feeding the fishes when he suddenly grinned.

“What?” I asked him.

“Do you know what they were doing?”

“Who?”

“The couple.” He said throwing half of his sandwich at the pond. I frowned, I made that for him.

“In the movie?”

“Yes idiot.” He said mocking me.

“Mianhae… Waeyo, what was that?”

He grinned and leaned closer to my face, the air is the only space between us.

“So… you were interested in those things Jaemin.” He said smirking. I blushed.

“Anyways, those things were a couple thing.” He said lying on the grass.

I raised an eyebrow, what is he talking about? He looked at me and sighed.

“I did not know you were so stupid Jaemin and naïve. I used to copy your notes.”

I looked down. How am I supposed to know those things? The school is not teaching it. He sat up and took my hand.

“You know… the thing like (doing the action) kissing (on the cheeks), hugging, holding hands are the things only couples do. It is their way of showing their love to their partners… got it?”

I stared at him and flushed red… Wow! Sunghyun is amazing and an expert in these things. And that means… because we are doing it…

“What’s wrong Jaemin-ah…?”

“So we are a couple now?”

“Eh?! What are you talking about, idiot?”

“You said only couples do those things and… we did it. You even took the initiative.”

“I was only demonstrating idiot.”

“I don’t care! (Hug) I always have dreamt about this Sunghyun-ah!”

“Get away from me idiot! You got it all wrong! And besides, how can we be a couple? We are only ten years old! I’m too young for that!”

“I don’t care!”

“Get away from me!”

JUNIOR HIGH

I really must be an idiot when I was in middle school. When we reached Junior High, my mom needed to work far from our town. I was so frustrated, because I needed to transfer school too. I will miss the chance of having Sunghyun as my date at the homecoming ball. What made my feelings worst is seeing Sunghyun waving at me happily. He never must have liked me, even a bit. Maybe, I was just a pain in the .

HIGH SCHOOL

When I reached high school, I realized, I really need a makeover. And after a year in high school, I became the queen bee… the head cheerleader of the squad and the girlfriend of the cutest and most popular boy in school.

One ordinary day at school, a transfer student arrived and was assigned to our class.

“Anyeong hasseyo! Je ireum-eun Woo Sunghyun imnida. (wink)”

I stiffened. What on earth is this geek boy doing in my school?! He sat on the sit behind my desk. My boyfriend might have noticed my sudden panic; he leaned and put an arm around me.

“You know that guy?”

“I’m not sure… he looks like my childhood friend. The one I told you…”

“Don’t worry… (Smile) It's okay…” he said then gave me a kiss on the forehead.

I smiled back. But I cannot help but feel the intensity behind me. He must have been staring. Did he recognize me?

Later that afternoon, Chihoon (my boyfriend) and I were fixing the books in library and was playing at the same time. When we both felt hungry, he decided to buy some snacks outside. So I waited for him alone at the library, I got bored and decided to continue fixing the books.

When I took a book from the shelf, I was so surprise at the face that suddenly popped up.

“Boo!”

“S… Sunghyun?”

He smiled.

“Missed me? I knew you were Jaemin the first time I looked at you.”

Nothing much change about him, maybe just he was not wearing any braces anymore.

“I can see you changed a lot. Is it because of me?”

“What? Good grief. Not everything is about you Sunghyun-ah.” The nerve of this guy.

“Calm down… Just asking.”

Just then my boyfriend appeared.

“Chihoon-ah!” I ran next to him. He immediately put an arm around me.

“So… he really is the same boy?”

I nodded.

“Hi. I am Sunghyun. I am Jaemin’s boyfriend actually… Jaemin just left without us having an official break-up.” Sunghyun said proudly.

Chihoon laughed, I tugged at his shirt.

“What is so funny?” Sunghyun said crossing his arms.

“Jaemin told me everything, and as she have said, she was so naïve at that time and maybe stupid that she immediately jumped to the idea. And she said you were never really into the idea in short… she never became your girlfriend.”

Sunghyun glared at him and balled his fist while Chihoon was mocking him with his mischievous grin. I bit my lips feeling so nervous, they might actually have a fight here… because of me J.

COLLEGE

Chihoon and I needed to break-up. He decided to take up Medicine and study abroad. He said when he comes back single and I am still single, we could go back to each other’s arms. We remained friends, send each other e-mails and sometimes he even calls me.

So, even though I hated it… I ended up with geek boy again.

At the Cafeteria.

We were having a cup of coffee during one of our break.

“Don’t you think we are fated for each other?”

“(Choke) What?!”

He handed me a tissue.

“Well… you see though how many times we ran away from each other, we still end up together.”

“Nonsense! There is no such thing as fate.”

I said grabbing my things and left. He really is so unpredictable! He always makes me confused.

One birthday of mine.

“Do not take this as a date Sunghyun. I just went with you because I really want to watch this movie and nobody is available. That’s all! Got it?”

“Sure.” He said smirking.

I went ahead of him. After the first filming, we stayed behind just like we always do when we were kids. The silence was deafening. I was surprise when he suddenly leaned at me. I stiffened.

“I missed the old Jaemin… if only I did not ignore her before.”         

I looked at him, and found him sleeping and snoring. I grimaced. This guy is really unbelievable. When I got home… I could not sleep a wink. I kept on thinking about it the whole night.

“Damn you Sunghyun!”

AFTER COLLEGE

I never heard from Sunghyun again after graduation. He never said goodbye he just vanished into thin air. That bastard! He really got the nerve. I hate him for not saying goodbye… I am his friend after all, I care for him…, and honestly, I kind of miss that geek boy.

I was looking at the Yearbook the school has sent me, when our boss all of a sudden called me. What the hell?! I walked slowly towards my boss office. Why would he call me? Did I do something wrong?

I took a deep breath before opening the door. When I went in, the boss’ back is turned away from me.

“You called me?”

“Miss me?”

“Eh?”

Wait a minute I know that line. The boss turned around. I was expecting to see geek boy but I was so surprise to see a very as in, very cute boy. Cute eyes, red lips… the only thing that he and geek boy have the same is the curly blonde hair.

“God! Jaemin… how could you forget me?” he smiled. I was caught off-guard, my voice was snatched away from me, I blushed.

He sighed. “So you really have forgotten… I was expecting when you see me, you would ran and hug me.”

“Eh?”

“Is that all you can say Jaemin? You know… I missed you. I was so surprise when I saw you yesterday… maybe fate really does exist…”

“Sunghyun?” Tears started to stream down my face, I burry my face in my hands. He stood up next to me and patted my head.

“There… there… did you really miss me that much?”

“Sunghyun!” I smacked him in the head.

“Ouch! What was that for?”

“How dare you go without saying goodbye?! I was worried sick! You never e-mailed me or called me… you were always so mean Sunghyun… so mean…”

He hugged me. He smelled like heaven. He really changed a lot.

“I am here now, okay? Now, stop crying.” He said wiping my tears. “And I have something here that will reassure you I will never leave you ever again.”

He struggled to get something from his pocket. When he finally got it… a big smile can be seen in his face.

“What is that?”

He laughed and opened the box. It was a ring… a diamond ring.

“Do I need to kneel?”

“Huh?”

He sighed. “You will always be the stupid, naïve Jaemin I knew…”

I glared at him. “Tsk. And you are always the mean Sunghyun.”

“Aigoo! Forget about that… I have a very important business now.”

He knelt down and showed me the ring. “Jaemin-ah… will you marry me?”

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT?!”

“Hey! Quiet down. What is so surprising about this? You like me and I like you. We are twenty-five now.”

“You really got the nerve Sunghyun-ah… after appearing all of a sudden, you asked me to marry you. We never even become a couple.”

“Fine.”

 He stood up and kissed me. I pushed him.

“What was that for?”

“Only couples do those things, right? We are a couple now. So, will you marry me?”

“What’s the rush?”

“You don’t like me?”

“Well…”

“What?”

“Fine. I do.”

“Then… what are you still worrying about? Come on Jaemin. I do not want to lose you again. Chihoon is coming back and…”

“Chihoon?” I laughed.

“What?”

“Chihoon is already married.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“So… Jaemin-ah… what now?”

“I need to hear the magic word.”

“Huh?”

“Stupid!” I turned around and crossed my arms. I could hear he is struggling to know what it is. I was surprise when he suddenly hugged me and whispered in my ear.

“Saranghae Jaemin-ah… will you marry me?”

I smiled and hugged him. “AYE!”

He smiled back and gave me a kiss that made my knees tremble.

“Saranghae Sunghyun-ah! Jeongmal Saranghae.”

He put on the ring on my finger and gave me another kiss.

“I love you too.”

 

Who could have thought I will be marrying my first love? Maybe it was fate after all. Tehehe:)

THE END...