Sweet Nothings

Sweet Nothings

 

 

 

 

Onew stared at the simple note that had fallen out of his locker in confusion.

 

There was nothing more written on the simple slip of college rule paper.  

 

He flipped it over, looking for anything that would give him a clue as to who it was from.

 

No name, no explanation, nothing.

 

Onew shrugged, throwing the note in the back of his locker, grabbing his books and heading off to his class with the fleeting thought, 'they must have gotten the wrong locker number.'

 

~~~

 

 

Now Onew was positive they had the wrong locker. 

 

He was never one to be terribly popular with the ladies.  All of his charm and generically handsome features were overshadowed by his clumsy nature and his inability to filter his words.  He had been slapped more than once for inadvertently insulting someone.

 

Onew ripped out his own sheet of paper, not bothering to tear off the spiral fringe before scribbling a quick message back to this obviously confused stranger.

 

 

He attached the note precariously to the front of his locker with an elaborate system of paper clips and a broken rubber and he found on the floor.

 

He skipped off to class with a smile, feeling satisfied with his good deed for the day.

 

~~~

 

 

Onew stared at the paper wide-eyed.

 

Well maybe they did have the correct locker number after all. 

 

And that meant he had a secret admirer.

 

Which was definitely something new and different for Onew.

 

He placed the note in his locker gingerly and headed down the hallway in the general direction of his class, his mind miles elsewhere. 

 

He honestly had no idea who it could be.

 

He was flattered, but confused. 

 

Who could possibly like him enough to go through all this trouble?

 

Who liked him enough to be scared to talk to him?

 

He simply kept drawling blank after blank the longer he thought about it.

 

~~~

 

Onew was a bit excited the next day, full of nervous energy as he stopped by his locker as soon as he walked through the doors.  He entered his combination, taking a deep breath before pulling on the door, ignoring the squeaky hinge, to see a paper square tumble to the floor.

 

He didn’t even notice the happy grin that graced his own face as he traced the letters gentle with his index finger.

 

 

Onew glanced around fruitlessly hoping to see his admirer, looking for a sign, anything to catch his attention that would give him so clue as to who this mysterious person even was.

 

He sighed, folding the note carefully before placing it in his locker and trudging to class.

 

~~~

 

 

Onew suppressed a squeal.  He had no idea who this was, but he might be falling just a little bit in love with them.

 

~~~

 

 

Onew giggled to himself.  His admirer was starting a stealthy note series about the things they liked about him?  He would say this was starting to get creepy, except it was just so sweet.

 

 

No one ever called Onew funny. 

 

His jokes brought in cricket noises, not laughter. 

 

People never seemed to pick up on his sarcasm and his timing was always just a bit off.

 

He simply wasn’t funny.

 

But someone seemed to think differently.

 

And that thought alone made Onew happy for the rest of the day.

 

~~~

 

 

Onew grinned to himself once again.  Each and every note that fell from his locker door gave him a warm, comforting feeling in his chest. 

 

He had never felt adored before.

 

And it was a really good feeling.

 

To know that someone, that simply one person out there cared about him… 

 

Cared for him…

 

Wanted him…

 

It put a smile on his face and a spring in his step. 

 

~~~

 

 

Onew blushed lightly.  Even though he knew no one else would read these notes he still felt awkward and self-conscious seeing such words being said about himself. 

 

He was far from beautiful. 

 

He was average.

 

Ordinary.

 

And why did they call him ‘beautiful’ rather than ‘handsome’?

 

That seemed like a strange choice of words to Onew.  Was ‘beautiful’ higher or lower on the attractive scale than ‘handsome’?  He honestly had no idea.  It was not something he had ever needed to give much thought.  But now that it had been brought to his attention he didn’t think of anything but that for the rest of the day. 

 

~~~

 

 

A smile pulled at his lips as he sighed.  He was absolutely dying to know who his secret admirer was.  Did he know them?  Was it someone he was close to?  Someone who was scared to ruin their friendship if they confessed?  Or was it someone he had barely ever spoken to?  Someone who simply admired him from afar?  But then again, did he really want to know?  What if it was someone he wasn’t interested in?  Would that change with his newfound knowledge?  What if it didn’t?  They were so sweet and caring, he would hate himself forever if he crushed them.  He sighed heavily; gently laying the note in the little basket he kept on the top self with all the ious ones.

 

~~~

 

 

Gentle?  Onew frowned in confused, what did that even mean?  Physically?  Emotionally?  He assumed they meant gentle in a postive way but Onew honestly had no idea what that was supposed to mean.  His ruffled his hair in frustration, shutting his locker door with more force than was really necessary.  All through his class his mind was muddled.  However, when the bell finally rang he found himself heading back towards his locker armed with a note of his own and a roll of tape.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Well at least now he had an initial to go by.  He quickly began raking his brain for every friend with a “J” name he could think of: Jessica, Jonghyun, Jiyoon, Jinki, no wait, he was the only Jinki at school, Jungmin, Joon, Jihyun, Jinho, the other Jessica…

 

He found himself staring down everyone he could think of with a J name, hoping to see some flicker of recognition from someone.  Anyone.

 

~~~

 

“Jonghyun I have a serious question.”

 

“What is it hyung?”

 

“Are you secretly in love with me?”
 

“WHAT?”

 

“It’s okay.  You can tell me.”

 

“Hyung what the hell are you talking about?”

 

“So it isn’t you then?”  Onew mused with a sigh. 

 

“You are going to need to explain further,” Jonghyun replied, still eyeing the older boy in confusion.

 

~~~

 

 

Onew stared, wide-eyed at the slip of paper in his hands.  It said so much in just six little words. 

 

He now knew it was a guy.

 

An older one at that. 

 

“Hyung this is getting creepy,” Jonghyun said as he peered over Onew’s should to read the slip of paper. 

 

“Jonghyun it isn’t creepy it is sweet,” Onew argued, smiling stupidly to himself as he added the note to the ever-growing pile.

 

“Why doesn’t he want you to know who he is?  That’s creepy," Jonghyun replied. 

 

"Maybe he is just shy."

 

"You know what we need to do hyung?"

 

Onew raised his eyebrow, waiting for Jonghyun to continue rather than trying to guess as to what was going on in that brain of his.

 

"Stakeout."

 

~~~

 

Onew's calves were screaming in protest.  He knew he shouldn't have mentioned anything about the notes to Jonghyun.  But like a fool he had told his supposed best friend everything and now he was crouched behind a trash can, spying on his own locker in hopes of catching his admirer in the act.

 

"Jjong this is stupid," Onew whispered, rubbing at his aching muscles in annoyance.

 

"Shut up hyung!  We have to figure out who it is!"

 

"Why?!  I kind of like the set up we have now," Onew protested weakly.  Honestly he was dying to know who it was, but at the same time there was something so adorably romantic about the surprise notes in his locker every day.  It was comforting, safe.  If he found out who this guy actually was then he would have to do something with that newfound knowledge.  He wasn’t quite sure he was ready for that step just yet.
 But yet he wanted, needed to know who it was.  They were so sweet and genuine, he couldn’t help but like them already, regardless of who they were.

 

"You like that this person knows everything about you while you are still clueless?"

 

"It's not as bad as it sounds," Onew mumbled.

 

"Shhhh! I think I hear footsteps!"

.
.
.

"Oh my god hyung!"

 

~~~

 

Onew clutched the note tightly to his chest, his heart racing as he scanned the locker numbers as he sped down the unfamiliar hallway.

 

1544

1545

1546

1547

 

1547

 

He gulped nervously.

 

He opened the note one last time scanning over his words before quickly folding it and shoving it through the crack between the frame and the metal door before he lost his nerve entirely and tore the paper to shreds.

 

He took a deep breath as a nervous bubble of laughter broke from his lips.  He did it.  He really did it.

 

He couldn’t wait until the next morning. 

 

Couldn’t wait to see that single scrap of college rule paper fall from his locker.

 

Couldn’t wait to trace the adorably romantic words scrawled across the paper.

 

He couldn’t wait to read his note. 

 

A note not cloaked in secrets.  

 

A note just for him.

 

 

 


The gross amount of fluff right now.

 

I can't even. 

 

So yeah, Joonew is pretty much the cutest pairing on the ing planet.  They are too cute for words.  I would go down with this ship.

 

Also, it took FOREVER to make all these fake notes.  Worst idea i've ever had.