Memories

A Man named Jinki

Jinki, someone that we can describe as a ball of sunshine, never fails to bring happiness for people around him. He always smile, lifts up the condition by his joke, is very polite, takes care of others, and many other good deeds. No one, who already know Jinki, can denies his kindness. His classmate calls him with Onew, as he is very soft and has a beautiful soft voice.

He lives with his older brother Junki, who is also the math teacher in his school. His parents was long gone due to an unfortunate accident. He has four best friends; Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin. But it doesn't limit his social relationship with other student. He joins vocal club, knowing he has a good voice and his love for singing. Yesung, the president of vocal club, is considered a close friend to Onew.

Despite those perfect features of him, there is one big secret lying behind his personality. Ever since he opened his eyes to the world, he has never had a strong heart. He had to stay in thee hospital in his elementary time, and got the education there. When his parents dead, Junki, his brother, decided to bring him to Seoul, and put him into the best hospital, hoping his dear brother to be healed. The doctor long gave up, and prayed to God to give a longer time for the kind boy. Onew was feed up of white walls and insisted to get out of his so called prison. He begged and begged, stating that if his time wasn't that long, then let him know the world. Junki couldn't do anything. He hoped the best for his brother. He loves him more than anything. And when Onew said that being free is his happiness, then Junki will give everything to him.

Beside Junki, there are two other people who know about Onew's secret. Kyuhyun, the son of Jinki's doctor, accidentally heard his father's conversation with Junki, when Onew was doing his check up. This leaded him to tell his boyfriend, Yesung, who immediately fell down after hearing the news. He recalled the dreams he and Onew had been talking about. Standing in the biggest stage and singing proudly. He cried so hard for his best friend. Kyuhyun who failed to calm him down, hug Yesung for an hour. That day Kyuhyun, Yesung, and Onew didn't go to their vocal club.

Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin are very busy boys and it's not very surprising to find Onew having his lunch with Yesung and Kyuhyun. Yesung always tries to convince Onew to tell his best friends, so they will spare more time with him. But every time Yesung brings this problem up, Onew always answers it with smile and rejection. He doesn't want to make his friends worry, the reason that Onew always uses. Onew also says that he prefers to love than to be loved. Then Yesung swears to not leave Onew side as long as Onew allows him, Kyuhyun vows the same too. That time was the first time Onew cried in front of Yesung and Kyuhyun. They we're hugging each other. Inside Yesung's and Kyuhyun's mind, there's a plea to be able to share some of their time for Onew, the kindest boy they ever met.

Day by day, Onew's condition is worsen. Junki tries to hospitalize him, but Onew rejects it straight away. The price is expensive. The doctor was long giving up. If there is some money left, Onew prefer to keep it, so later, when Onew is not there anymore, his brother is still able to live. Junki says he doesn't need the money for himself. Onew says that he needs the money for his brother. He downs to his knees, pleading to his brother to accept his last request, because after that he won't utter even one request anymore. Junki hugs his little brother tightly, tears wet his face, and he nods.

In a very rare occasion, when the four of his best friends present in the auditorium where the vocal club is practicing, Onew feels very happy yet very weak. In the middle of his singing, his voice is cracking. Key and Jonghyun laugh so hard. Minho and Taemin grin. But they don't know, the crack is caused by his lost of breath. He is coughing, covering his mouth so his friends don't see the blood that comes out along, wipes it, then grins back to his best friends. Yesung excuses himself and pulls Oneww to the bathroom, claiming that he needs to talk about his voice quality. Key shrugs his shoulders and opens his magazine, Jonghyun takes a song lyric and starts practicing, Minho and Taemin wave while telling them to come back soon so they can have lunch together. When Onew and Yesung are in the bathroom, Yesung hugs Onew while crying. Onew runs his hand over his hyung's hair, trying to calm him down, telling him that everything's gonna be alright.

And Onew's birthday comes. He tells his best friends to not give anything, because there is something that he really craves from each of them.

"I know that you are all busy. Jonghyun with your debut preparation, Key with your fashion class, Minho with your soccer championship, and Taemin with you dance competition. I know that I'm being selfish. But for this birthday, please let my last selfish request be come true. I won't ask anymore from you after this."

Key replies it with:

"Hyung, you're over reacting. I think you're gonna go somewhere far and never come back."

Jonghyun replies it with:

"Yaaah.. Are you reading a script for a tragic drama or what? That's so weird. Tell me, what do you want?"

Minho replies it with:

"Are you okay hyung? You know that you can tell me anything you want."

Taemin replies it with (while dancing):

"sowoneul marhaebwa! (I'm genie for you, boy) sowoneul marhaebwa! (i'm genie for your wish.) Sowoneul marhaebwa! (I'm genie for your dream.) naegeman marhaebwa! (I'm genie for your world."

Hearing his friends' reply, Onew laughs so hard. Onew's request is very simple. He asks a day with each of them. They of course agree to such a simple request like that. After all, despite of their busy schedule, all of them miss Jinki so much. Jonghyun calls it as 'Jinki's Date Week' and causes his best friends to laugh.

The first day Onew goes to the festival with Jonghyun. In there, there's a singing competition. Jonghyun sings for him and invites him to the stage and sing together. They win the first place with a huge chicken drum stick doll as the prize. Then they do all of the games in the festival. They take a lot of picture as the memorandum of that moment. That time, smile never leaves Onew's face.

When Onew is back to his house, waving at Jonghyun who rides his motorcycle back to his own house, he collapses. Junki immediately brings him inside and calls Kyuhyun's father. Onew refuses to be brought to the hospital. Kyuhyun, who keeps Yesung from falling, can only see his stubborn dongsaeng with sympathy. That day is supposed to be Key's turn to go out with Onew. But Onew tells Key that he has to accompany his hyung, so they change to tomorrow.

Key takes Onew to his uncle's art exhibition. He shows some of his painting that are also participating in the event. Onew feels so happy seeing Key's eyes fill with passion. They also take a lot of pictures that day. Key even paints their picture together and gives it to Onew, as a birthday present. The night ends with a nice dinner at Key's apartment, with fantastic dishes courtesy to Key himself. Onew sleeps there that day.

The next day, Minho invites Onew to watch his practice. He says sorry that he can't cancel the practice, but promise that after 9, Minho's time is all Onew's. Onew of course agrees. After the practice, they go to the mall. They watch the newest movie in the cinema, eating Onew's favorite fried chicken, and buying identical soccer t-shirt. They go to the tailor to crafting their name behind the t-shirt. While waiting the t-shirt, they go to the cafe and spend their time cathcing up. They take picture together in front of the movie's poster, at the cafe, and with them wearing the soccer t-shirt.

When Taemin's turn come, both of them go to the aquarium. Both of them are having their time there, admiring the sea creature. Buying a 'sea creature' hat, and wearing it all day. Taemin shows his dance move to Onew, and in return, he sings for Taemin. People around them clap loudly after watching their performance. They take a lot of pictures there. The manager of the aquarium even asks them to take a picture with him, too be put on the wall of memorandum, a place where many photo is put to show that famous people has been there.

When the week passed, the four friends are back to their busy schedule. At that time Onew regrets his request, because after the whole week full of happiness, he feels so empty without his friends. This thought brings his condition down. Yesung insists that if Onew refuses to be brought to the hospital, let him stay at his house. Junki agrees at Yesung's request. And if Yesung is there, Kyuhyuun is also there. Junki hopes that their presence will keep Jinki from loneliness. That night, Onew confesses something to Yesung that makes him, once again, cries hard.

"I don't mean to be selfish, hyung. But it is always me who put effort in our friendship. I always the one who try so hard."

"Yet you're the one who keep this sickness as a secret. Why don't you tell them then?"

"You said that I didn't want to be found. Maybe I just hope they would try harder."

That was what he secretly yearning. But seeing his smile, people believe that he is happy enough. His best friend are assured enough by seeing his smile. That he is okay and he is happy.

It is the Christmas day when Onew's time is up. With him wearing presents sent by his friends. A hat from Key, a scarf from Jonghyun, a sweater from Minho and a pair of gloves from Taemin. He lays weakly on his bed. Junki, Yesung, Kyuhyun, and Dr. Cho are surrounding him. Key is in Paris with his family, Minho went to Thailand to visit his cousin, Nichkhun, Jonghyun is in China, and Taemin is in Jeju with his family. Jinki gives a paper to Yesung. A song lyric. He asks him to sing it in their dram stage.

"I feel loved. Thank you."

That is Onew's last word. He closes his eyes, smile on his lips. He is as if just gone sleeping. Junki and Yesung cry hard to the point they are screaming. Kyuhyun cries too, but calmer. That night, snows fall and it becomes the coldest night in the year.

----------------------------

"A man named Jinki. Who always smile, very kind, and loving. A little brother, a family, a best friend for every one. I don't have a slightest doubt that no one here hates Jinki. People love his smile, his voice, and his jokes. We'll, even sometimes I didn't understand what was the jokes about. I think the thing that I will miss most is his smile, as it is the first thing that I always see in the morning. Then his laughter as it is the medicine of my hard day. And his presence as it is the most precious thing in my life. I promised to not cry today. Sorry little bro, let your hyung to cry today. I promise I won't disappoint you and fill my day with dreams and your memory. Rest well little bro, you've gone so far and tired. Rest now."

As Junki finishes his speech, Yesung and Kyuhyun stand up and sing. The song title is 'Memories' by Super Junior. Key, Jonghyun, Minho, and Taemin who immediately flew with the first plane they got, cry so hard in the first row. In their hand, there's a letter with Onew's handwriting. A letter of gratefulness for their friendship, a hope for their dreams, and an apology for his absence in the future.

That day, the sky is crying too. As the good person is gone. Yesung looks down to the paper Onew gave them. He vows in his heart, he'll let people hear this song. Because this song is a part of Onew. That way, he can fills his dream, together with his dear friend.

In My Mind

I hardly closed my eyes

Too afraid of the thought bout having you in my mind

And see your face behind my lids

It scares me

Don't tell me not to love you

Don't tell me to forget you

You know I can't do that

You, the one who I can't have

I can only admire

Yet I'm still afraid to close my eyes

Knowing I'll see you there (in my mind)

In this bizarre you call as love

Have I ever crossed your mind

And fill your heart with a dozen roses

Bring warm inside your heart (in my mind)

You're like drugs that I always want to take

They say you're dangerous but you're addicting

You damage me good

You'll hate me but don't tell me not to love you

You'll hurt me but don't tell me to forget you

-------------------------------

A/N:

I dedicate this story for he who is not here anymore. The dearest friend of mine with a big dream and a warm personality.

Thanks for showing me love. As you're gone, a part of me go with you. I'm sorry for not keeping a promise to not crying over you.. Rest in peace, friend..

The song lyric is mine. It's how I miss him.. Sorry guys, for writing such a depressing story..