Kang Daesung

The Real Monster [One-shot]

 

You were only nine years old when you met him. The weather was very nice that day. You woke up early because your father promised to take you out. When you went downstairs, you found your father already at the dining table, reading a newspaper while drinking his coffee. You went to your father and kissed his forehead, “Annyeong haseyo Appa!”

Your father looked at you and smiled, “Annyeong baby girl!”

You smiled at him and went to sit beside him. The two of you started to eat breakfast. Your father is a great dad. He has been doing well even before your mother passed away. Your father is a well known scientist. He really inspires you to be a scientist as well and become like him. He’s old but he’s still strong. Even with his eyeglasses on, you can definitely see that he was a very handsome man in his youth.

“So, are you excited?” Your father asked.

You nodded and grinned.

“Well, if you are then you better get dressed!”

“I will dad!” You said cheerfully then you ran back to your room.

The maids followed you to your room and helped you dress up. Afterwards, you went directly to the car parked in front of your house where your father was already waiting for you.

Along the way, you kept on asking your father, “Appa! Appa! Where are we going?”

“It’s a secret.” He said in a teasing manner.

You pout then rest your back on the seat again.

After a while, your father spoke, “We’re here!”

You suddenly forgot that you were mad at your father then you look from the window where you have arrived. You saw a chapel looking infrastructure. Your father then escorts you out of the car as he held your hand. He leans down and asked you, “Do you know what this place is?”

Still in awe, you just shook your head.

“This is an orphanage. This serves as a home for many children like you who don’t have parents or guardians.”

You look at your father with a questioning look, “Are you going to leave me here?”

He laughs, “Of course not! We are here so that you can make friends, and so that you can work on that socializing skill of yours.”

You pout again as you walk with your father towards the orphanage door. You were very shy as a child. Your father always told you to make lots friends because you need them in life, but you feel that you can manage on your own.

At the doorway of the orphanage, you were met by a lady who was dressed formally. She must be the one in charge of the orphanage. You thought.

The lady bobbed and so did you and your father. Your father introduced you to the lady who was actually Mrs. Jung. She looked like she’s in her 40’s. You think that she is very pretty.

Mrs. Jung guided you and your father inside the orphanage. She brings you to a room full of children who are mostly just about your age.

“Hello everyone!” Mrs. Jung exclaimed, “We have a visitor today. This is Mr. Yang and his daughter Hana.”

“Good morning Mr. Yang! Good morning Hana!” The children said in unison.

Your father gives you a tap at the back, “Go on, play with them.”

You look back at him, but you were surprised when a group of children already began to pull you, “Let’s play!”

You went to play with them (well, sort of) as your father talked with Mrs. Jung and another man who was probably one of the administrators of the orphanage.

As you were playing with the orphans, a boy comes to you.

“Annyeong! My name is Daesung!” He said as he opened his hand to shake yours.

You took his hand and said shyly, “A-Annyeong, I’m Hana.”

He smiled at you, and then, that’s where it all began. You and Daesung became good friends – the best of friends. Your father constantly takes you to the orphanage, but you actually come only because of Daesung. You were also friends with the other orphans, but Daesung was your best friend.

***

As you grew up, your friendship with Daesung grew even stronger. Even though your father doesn’t bring you to the orphanage anymore, you still go there just to visit him.

The time came when you needed to go to America to study Medicine. You were sad because of this, but you knew you have to do it because it was your dream.

You visit Daesung to tell him your news. When you went to the orphanage, Mrs. Jung brought you to Daesung’s room. You find him there, sitting on his bed with his earphones on. He notices you, so he immediately yanks the earphones from his ears.

“Hana!” He greeted cheerfully.

You just replied with a faint smile.

“What’s wrong?” He asked then he tapped his bed as if to ask you to sit down.

You took a deep breath and sat beside him.

“Daesung …” You began. You can see the anticipation in his eyes.

“I’m going to America.” You finally said.

Daesung was taken aback, “What?”

Your eyes become teary, “I-I’m sorry.”

“Hey, don’t cry…” He said.

You held back the tears as you explained, “I have to go there to study Medicine. You know that I have always dreamed to be a scientist, like father, so I really have to do this. I promise to always be in touch with you. I promise to go directly here when I come back.”

Daesung smiled, “I know… I know.”

You hugged him and he hugged you back. After a while, you prepared to leave.

“I’ll be going now Daesung, goodbye!” You said sadly.

He slid the hair strands hanging in front of your face to the back of your ear and kissed you at the cheek, “I’ll be waiting.”

***

After years of what seemed to be forever of studying, you come back to Seoul. Not only were you looking forward to becoming a scientist, but you’re really longing to see Daesung. Your driver picked you up from the airport. While on the road, you asked him to go on a detour to the orphanage. When you arrived, Mrs. Jung welcomed you for being back to Seoul and for being back at the orphanage. She hugged you. The two of you have created quite a bond already.

“Oh, but what brings you here?” Mrs. Jung asked.

You chuckled, “Of course, I’m looking for Daesung.”

She seemed surprised by this, “Didn’t you know?”

Your face shifted to a questioning look, “Know what?”

“Daesung is not here anymore. He was already taken into care by someone.”

“What? By who?” You said with a slightly high tone of voice.

“I’m really sorry but I can’t tell you that Hana,” She said, “I thought you knew about it since you and Daesung have always been in contact with each other.”

You sighed, “That’s actually the problem. I lost contact of him when I reached my final year of studying because I was very busy.”

“I’m really sorry Hana…” Mrs. Jung said sadly.

You tried to smile and nodded your head, “I’ll be leaving then… Kamsahamnida Mrs. Jung!”

You went back in the car and asked your driver to drive you home. On the way, you find yourself to be lost in your thoughts. Where are you right now Daesung? Didn’t you miss me? I thought you said you would wait for me? You came back to your senses when you realized that you have reached your house.

As you came out of the car, your father rushed to you with open arms.

“Welcome back my dear Hana!” He said as he hugged you.

You dropped your bags to the ground and hugged him, “I missed you so much dad!”

All the sadness you were feeling seemed to have gone away at the sight of your father. I really hope that you’re happy wherever you are Daesung. You thought as you looked at the clouds above your head.

***

You become a scientist. You worked side by side with your father. You really enjoyed what you were doing. After all, this is exactly what you wanted, but something was missing. You are definitely happy with your life right now, but it seemed like you were still searching for something. You remember Daesung and begin to wonder again on his whereabouts. Where are you Daesung? Aren’t you looking for me? I really want you to see me right now. I want you to see that I have achieved my dream.

***

You come home late, one night. You were so tired that you decided to go straight to bed and not eat dinner. When you were about to go upstairs, you see your father coming towards you in his lab gown.

“Hana!” He called out, “Come with me.”

Surprised, you still followed him. After going down a couple of stairs and passing through long, dim-lighted hallway, you realized that you were going down to his laboratory. You remembered that he never allowed you to go there until now. When you reached the laboratory, you were amazed at all the equipment your father kept in there.

“What are we doing here?” You finally asked.

“I want you to meet someone.” He said as he led you to a room.

In there you saw someone sitting on a hospital bed, but he was facing the other way. When he realized your presence, he turned around, and you were shocked.

“Hana, do you still remember Daesung from the orphanage?” Your father asked.

“Uhm, yes, yes.” You replied, trying to hide that you were shocked.

Daesung smiled at you and all the memories you had together seemed to come back to you. You wanted to hug him tight and be mad at him for not telling you about leaving the orphanage, but you can’t since your father didn’t know about your friendship.

“S-So, what is he doing here?” You asked avoiding Daesung’s eyes.

“He’s our patient.” Your father replied.

“Patient?”

“Daesung here has some unknown disease. If you just look at him, you wouldn’t know that something’s wrong with him, but if you look at his blood,” Your father then led you to a microscope and you looked through it, “You would see.”

While observing his blood, you can definitely see that there is something wrong. You slowly regain your composure while thinking to yourself: Daesung has a disease? You felt pity for him but you did not show it.

“Do you think this disease is dangerous?” You asked.

“I can’t tell yet but I am trying hard to find a cure, and you are going to help me.”

You were surprised by this, but you were happy. You really wanted to help Daesung get rid of this disease as soon as possible.

“Okay, dad.” You said.

Your father’s cellular phone suddenly rang.

“Excuse me, I have to take this, there’s no signal here in my lab.” You’re father said as he walked out of the room.

You followed your father with your eyes. When you turned back to Daesung, you were suddenly engulfed in his arms.

“I missed you so much!” He said.

You put your arms around him, “I missed you too.”

He then released you from his embrace and held your two hands.

“I’m very sorry for not telling you about this earlier. I didn’t want you to worry.” He explained.

You smiled, “I understand. I’m just happy that you’re here now.”

You embrace each other again.

***

You and your father worked hard to find a cure for Daesung. You stayed up late, drank gallons of coffee, and lost lots of sleep having to research about his condition.

One night, you were looking for some documents. You wanted to look at his drawer that was marked ‘confidential’ but your father just went to sleep an hour ago, so you didn’t want to disturb him. You continued to search at the drawer thinking that this is an important matter so your father will surely understand. You found a folder with Daesung’s name on it. You took it and read it, but you were surprised by its contents. You saw there that your father’s analysis of Daesung’s condition is that he must be a superhuman. In there, it said that the probable results still hasn’t manifested yet. After reading all of it, you realized that your father is not trying to find a cure for Daesung, thus he is making him into a ‘superhuman’. You go to your father’s computer, but it was locked by a password. No wonder he never let you use his computer. You search the drawers again for other documents. After a while of looking, you found a folder that looked different from the others. When you opened it, a big “Project: Superhuman” was stamped at the first page. You brought the two folders in your room and studied them.

***

The next night, you sneak to the laboratory where you found Daesung reading a book while listening to his ipod.

You rushed towards him and pulled his earphones.

“Daesung, you need to come with me. We need to leave this place now.” You said as you tugged his arm.

“W-Wait! Hana, what’s wrong?” He asked.

You stopped pulling his arm, “Do you trust me?”

“Of course I trust you!”

“Then come with me. I’ll explain everything to you later.”

The two of you sneaked out of the house. You already brought everything you needed and put them at the backseat of your car. You drive far from your house, far enough so that your father wouldn’t find you. You went to a hotel and decided to stay there for the night.

When you reached your room, Daesung demanded for your explanation. You told him everything that you found out and even showed him the documents. Daesung didn’t respond to everything that you told him. He went out to get some air, probably to calm himself too. You felt so tired so you laid down on the bed and soon fell asleep.

***

When your father woke up the next day, he looked for you. When he realized that you were nowhere to be found, he called you, but your phone was turned off. He then rushed down to his laboratory and saw that he was missing Daesung’s files. He got mad and hit a lot of things. Mr. Yang then asked a group of men to look for you.

***

When you woke up, you found that Daesung was not there. You stood up and looked at the other bed and saw that it did not seem to have been touched at all. A sound from behind you startled you. When you turned to look at what it was, you saw Daesung standing there.

“Sorry if I startled you.” He said then he smiled.

“I-It’s okay.” You said.

You decided that you should leave that hotel because you were sure that your father is looking for you right now. You drive and drive to nowhere. When you pass by a bridge overlooking the sea, Daesung asked you to stop.

He went out of the car and stretched out his arms. You followed him and stood beside him.

“I’m sorry if we had to do this.” You said, looking down.

He smiled, “There’s nothing we can do about it, but I am very thankful that you are still here with me.”

You looked at him, “Daesung, I have something to tell you…”

“What is it?” He asked.

“I-,” You sighed and continued, “I love you.”

He smiled and stared at you for a while; he then held your hands and leaned to kiss you on the forehead.

“I love you too Hana. I think we have both felt like that for such a long time.”

The two of you stayed there for a while and waited for the sun to set. You did not give a care to the world; what’s important was that you were both happy.

***

You continued your research about Daesung’s condition but it was really hard because you did not have equipments to do experiments.

“Daesung, I’ll be leaving for a while, stay here okay?” You said as you took your coat and bag.

He just nodded.

You went back to your house to steal some things that you needed. You sneaked in and took what you needed. Gladly, no one caught you.

When you came back to the hotel where you and Daesung were staying, you were surprised when you can’t find him.

“Daesung?” You called out as you entered the room. You hear someone in the bathroom. You here some thuds and what seemed to be suppressed screams.

You were worried so you rushed to the bathroom door and pounded at it, “Daesung! Are you okay?”

It took a while for him to respond, “I-I’m fine Hana.”

“But you don’t seem like it.” You became more worried.

He then opened the door. With sweat sliding down the side of his face, he smiled.

“What was happening in there?” You asked, but before he could answer, his face changed. He gripped his chest as if it was hurting so bad. You stand back; you were scared.

“Daesung, what is happening to you?”

He fell to his knees. He slumped to the floor and gave out a loud cry, “Aaarrrrrggggghhhhhh!”

You clasped your hand to your mouth to stop yourself from screaming.

Daesung then stopped moving. You thought it was over, but then he looked at you. You pressed your hands on your mouth as tears fell from your eyes. Daesung’s eyes seemed to be glowing; lines that looked like tattoos appeared on his skin; he had fangs. You turn away from him and get ready to run away, but he spoke and pleaded, “Don’t go, don’t go… Don’t leave me…”

You look at him and cry even harder. You slowly walked to him and tried to touch him. He was calm. You cried and hugged him as he passed out.

***

When Daesung woke up, he was already lying down on the bed – the bed at your father’s laboratory. This is Mr. Yang’s other laboratory. He wanted Daesung away from his house and his daughter. His hands were tied and so were his feet. He tried to break free from the locks but then your father comes in.

“Where’s Hana?” He shouted.

“She’s fine, she’s fine. No need to overreact.” Mr. Yang said calmly.

“Take these cuffs of me!” He shouted as he pulled and tugged his arms from the cuffs. As Daesung continued to pull, he suddenly broke the cuffs. Your father was shocked. Four men rushed in and pushed Daesung back to his bed as your father injected something to him.

“What are you doing to me?” Daesung outraged but soon passed out.

You saw everything that was happening from the other room. You can’t help but cry. You wanted to run to his side and comfort him but you were being guarded. You brought Daesung back to your father because you don’t know what to do with him. You were scared as to what he might do to you.

***

One night, you visit Daesung. He is now placed in a cell because he was too strong for simply cuffs. You were accompanied by the guards. You find him sitting at a corner, looking helpless. You ask for the guards to leave the two of you for a while, promising that you wouldn’t do anything foolish. The guards did as you said and left.

“Daesung …” You call out as you peered through the bars of his cell.

He lifted his head and looked at you.

“Daesung … I’m sorry.” You began to cry.

He stood up and came to you. He wiped your tears. “Why are you asking for forgiveness?”

You looked at him and cried even more, “I’m sorry for everything. I’m sorry Daesung … I’m sorry.”

Before Daesung could speak, you turned away. You didn’t want to hear anymore from him, it would only make you hurt more. You had to leave. You had to leave him behind.

“Hana!” He called out. You stopped walking and tried not to make a sound out of crying.

“Where are you going? Are you leaving me now?” Daesung sighed and shook his head.

“You said you wanted to be with me, right?” He continued. You tried to walk away, but you were frozen.

“Hana… I’m not a monster.” At that, you put your hands on your ears and ran away.

***

One day, a great earthquake occurs in Seoul. Your father’s laboratory began to collapse. You rushed to where Daesung was locked up, but your father met you in the hallway and had the guards drag you away.

“No! Father! Daesung is in there! I need to help him!” You shouted as the guards held you back.

“You are what’s important, leave him there!” Your father shouted.

You tried to fight the guards but they were definitely stronger that you. You felt helpless.

When you were already out of the laboratory, the earthquake stopped, but the laboratory was destroyed. You sighed at the sight of the laboratory’s ruins. You cried and cried.

Daesung … I’m really sorry… We destroyed your life.

***

Daesung was trapped in the collapsing laboratory, but he managed to find a way out. The moment he got out, he was even able to catch a glimpse of your car leaving the area. As he followed you with his gaze, he clenched his fist, his eyes glow, the marks on his body comes out, and he promised to take revenge on your father who is the real monster.

***

Backstory ~

Mr. Yang already knew Daesung’s father way back then. His father, Mr. Kang, also had the same condition. Your father already experimented on Mr. Kang. He did not succeed though, but Daesung’s father died because of this. Mrs. Kang didn’t know of theses happenings for she had left Daesung’s father when she learned of his condition. When your father learned that Daesung’s mother put him for adoption, he immediately went to the orphanage to see if it was true. Since then, he visited the orphanage so that he could observe Daesung and get closer to him. When he found out that Daesung is also ‘sick’ like his father, he took him in and told him that he would find a cure for his ‘disease’.

You thought all of these were just coincidences? No. You were actually part of his plan. He got everything well planned, that is, before the earthquake occurred.