Separation [Chapter 1]

Shh, Hush Baby

 

Like a fallen mirror shattered on the ground, she felt her heart break into infinite pieces of dust as she saw her hand in hand with him walking towards her. Maybe they’re just playing, her mind told her. No, if they were, they wouldn’t be smiling at each other like that, her heart ached. As they approached her, she flashed on a fake smile and looked at the taller girl in front of her with her date.

“Eunji!” The taller girl called out with excitement letting go of her date’s hand running to her.

“Jiyoung” She replied as she glanced at the man behind her friend. Jiyoung turned and linked arms with her obvious lover. Here it comes, Eunji told herself.

“Eunji, this is Son Dongwoon! My Dong Dong! My childhood friend.” She eye smiled cheerfully at her then turned facing him, “This is Eunji, my Jiji! My best friend” Both Dongwoon and Eunji bowed as they were introduced to one another.

Eunji wore on her smiles but it wasn’t working. The hints she gave to Jiyoung, were they not obvious? She must’ve thought that all the gifts were the act of being an elder sister, Eunji doubted herself. It was no more use putting in her confidence in herself anymore. You’re strong Eunji, she mentally slapped herself and forced herself to keep smiling in front of the one she loved.

“Yah! If you ever hurt her…” Eunji glared at Dongwoon, “I will slash your throat and poke your eye balls out!”

He jumped a little bit, startled, “Ah, yeah, I won’t hurt her.”

“Unnie, I’m fine.” Jiyoung chuckled and pinched both of Eunji’s cheek. “You’re so cute! Yah, Jiji! We should go watch a movie yeah?!”

“What about him?” Eunji’s eyes pointed at him.

“He’ll follow up.” Jiyoung was now cupping her cheeks. “Unnie, let’s go.” She then locked her hand with Eunji’s.

“No Jiyoung, I’ll go next time.” She replied with a sweet smile and pulled her hand away.

It was too much for her heart. Though she wants her embrace, she had to pull back. In the end, she will be the only one hurt if she continues to let her heart hold on to Jiyoung. “I have to go…” She paused and quickly made an excuse, “My mom says we have relatives coming, so I will see you later.” Stupid, she thought to herself.

“But your mom is in Busan.” Jiyoung tilted her head and suspiciously glared at her friend.

“Ah, no! Uh, she came to visit just today! She’s already leaving tomorrow! Bye, see you!” She covered herself and ran away as far away as possible.

All the memories attacked her all at once.  It was too much to take. Knowing her love for her friend was just one sided but it didn’t hurt to try right? No, she was wrong. She didn’t know the consequences would be so painful. Finally reaching her lonely house, she enters it and goes into her room. Pictures hanging from the ceiling attached by strings, small gifts that Jiyoung gave her on her shelf, and stuffed animals on her bed, they all gave her heartache. Memories, one by one played in her head like a movie. She remembered how they met. How they became friends. And when she started to develop feelings for Jiyoung.

Jiyoung was a new student from Tokyo and she was getting picked on for barely knowing any Korean though she was Korean. Jiyoung’s first day of school was also Eunji’s. Eunji came from Busan. She did a lot of Kumdo back in Busan so she joined the Kumdo at school. Amazing everyone with her skills, people feared being her friend because of rumors like she’s the daughter of a mafia and so Eunji was left lonely. Jiyoung on the other hand, decided that enough was enough with the bullying. Hence she joined Kumdo. And that’s when they met. After Kumdo was over with, Jiyoung walked out but to her surprise, her bullies were messing with her. The only one in the dojo was Eunji.

“Yah, Kang Jiyoung.” A girl shorter than her smirked while chewing on gum. “Why didn’t you just join Tae Kwon Do so you could kick my faster? Kumdo is too slow, why’d you join it? So you could kiss my ?” She pushed Jiyoung’s forehead with her fingers.

“Because it reminds me of my hometown.” Jiyoung spoke back with coldness in her voice.

“Ah, look at this talking back to me!” She rose her voice up and told her little gang. She quickly locked her hands on Jiyoung’s bangs and pulled her closer to her face, eye to eye. “No one, talks back to me.”

“Let her go, Amber!” Eunji came out of the dojo in her Kumdo uniform.

“Jung Eunji? Pfft! Funniest ever! Jung Eunji standing up for a Japanese-born Korean?” She scoffed looking at her little gang then back to Jiyoung. “Today is your lucky day, . Next time, you’re dead.” Amber pushed her onto the ground and walked away with her gang.

“Are you okay?” Eunji walked to her and offered a hand. Jiyoung clenched her teeth together, a little angry at herself. As soon as she snapped out of it, she took Eunji’s hands and got up. She always forgot about bullies and all the troubles that were brought upon her but now, she couldn’t take it anymore. It’s like all the anger and rage that were held in her broke out. Though learning Kumdo is slow, she would do it for her home country and for herself. “Hey, are you okay?” Jiyoung nodded her head then shot a smile at her for helping. Eunji smiled back at her. “You know, if you need help, I’ll help you.”

"No, it’s okay. I’ll be fine. Thank you for earlier.” She replied and bowed before she left.

"Wait!” Eunji shouted as she saw two guys walking after her that looked suspicious. They didn’t seem to hear. She followed them until she heard Jiyoung screaming. Eunji ran quickly and found a guy pinning Jiyoung onto the wall. “What is it that you guys want with her?” She complained with a sigh as the guys turned around looking at her.

“Obviously her body.” The guy smirked at her.

“I bet she’s still fresh.” The other guy pinning Jiyoung said.

“And I bet you are too.” He grinned evilly checking out Eunji’s body. “You know, I’ve always wanted to try you. Seeing you in the dojo, it’s so y.”

“Let her go, Jae-bum.” Eunji coldly demanded and pulled into a sparring stance.

“Or else what?” He challenged as Jiyoung struggles. “JaeJoong, get her will ya? I’m trying to get some here.”

“Pathetic low lives.” Jiyoung scoffed. “So this proves Japan is better than South Korea. Japanese men have more respect for women than Korean men.”

“I’ll show you what Korean men have that Japanese men don’t.” Jae-bum chuckled. “A bigger one.”

“Yah! Let her go!” Eunji’s voice was firm and loud. She charged at him and tackled him down taking him by surprise. Jiyoung was finally free. JaeJoong ran towards Jae-bum running past Jiyoung. Jiyoung slipped out her feet making him trip on his face and made him unconscious. As that happened, Jiyoung saw Eunji punching him but he was still fighting back so she ran to help out. Jae-bum pushed her off him and stood up.

“Man, you guys are feisty. I like.” He grunted. Jiyoung got in front of Eunji facing him. “You want me now huh?”

She nodded and an evil yet sweet smile appeared on her face. She placed her hands on his shoulder then quickly kneed his crotch hard and pushed him away from them as far as possible. She grabbed Eunji’s wrist dragging her into safety. Eunji followed her in surprise gaining interest in her. All the other girls in school wouldn’t stand up for themselves but Jiyoung, she was something else. Jiyoung took her to her apartment. She lived alone because her parents had huge business in Japan.

"It’s getting late, why don’t you just spend the night here?” Jiyoung suggested. Eunji shook her head disagreeing but appreciating the thought. She did live pretty far from where Jiyoung lived but she had to leave. “Well, may I know where you live?”

“I live near the Han River Bridge.” She answered and bit her lower lip.

“That’s kind of far from here. You could sleep over if you want, I don’t mind, really. It’s six forty five.” Jiyoung assured her.

“Ah, okay then.” Eunji sighed giving in.

“I’ll cook, why don’t you go take a shower? I’ll let you borrow my clothes.” Jiyoung smiled at her and walked into the kitchen.

“I’ll help you cook.” Eunji protested and followed her inside the kitchen.

“Alright.” Jiyoung smiled.

“So, do you live here alone?” Eunji asked making a conversation.

“Yeah, my parents are in Japan right now. I just settled here not too long ago and started school a week ago.” She replied.

“Really? I just started school a week ago too. I transferred from Busan though. So I kind of have an accent.” Eunji cutely pouted. Something she hasn’t done in a while.

“Oh, that’s nice. I don’t have an accent?” Eunji looked at her smile and felt a warm feeling in her heart confusing her.

“Nope, you sound just like the city people here in Seoul.” Eunji stated.

“Oh, thank you.” Jiyoung eye smiled. “So… how old are you?”

“I’m nineteen. I didn’t start Kindergarten until I was six so I’m kind of older than most kids in school. What about you?” Eunji explained.

“I’m eighteen. I guess I started Kindergarten at the right time.” Jiyoung eye smiled sweetly at her. “And, thank you unnie.”

“For what?” She seemed to have forgotten what happened earlier.

“For scaring off Amber and the guys.” She replied making her remember.

“Oh, that was nothing. I should be thanking you too about the guys. Without you I think it would’ve been a different story. But, why are people always picking on you?” Eunji asked her.

“It’s because I was born in Japan so they thought my Korean was really bad and that lead them to pick on me. Therefore I joined Kendo to stop them from bullying me.” She explained. Eunji was impressed. She liked the fact that Jiyoung was doing something to stop Amber and her gang. Everything about Jiyoung made Eunji like her more. There was a long pause but it wasn’t awkward. It was rather... slow and sweet. “You could help me with Kendo right?”

“Of course!” Eunji answered as she finished cutting onions for Tofu soup.

Wrapped in a long pink towel up to her chest with her hair down and wet, Eunji comes out of the bathroom embarrassed that she didn’t ask for the clothes before she showered. “Jiyoung, I need clothes…” Eunji stated slowly peeping into the door.

“Oh, that’s right! I knew I forgot something! Come in.” Jiyoung giggled and dug through her closet as Eunji made her move to enter. “Found it!” It was a plain white T-shirt and a Hello Kitty pajama pants. She handed it to Eunji as she got her towel and walked out of room to shower. “Just stay in there”

“Okay.” Eunji shouted back.  She took off the towel and wore the clothes given to her. It was slightly bigger but it was okay. About fifteen minutes later, Jiyoung came in and already found Eunji sleeping on her bed. Jiyoung smiles at her sleeping face and fixed her sleeping position onto the pillow then quickly got dressed to sleep.

And that was how Eunji remembered her first meet with Jiyoung. She stood up and removed the pictures in her room. She had to stop herself before she gets hurt even more. Maybe it was time for separation. 

______________________________________________________________