Not Enough

Not Enough

 

He should have known, he thought. Kris wasn’t… well, Chanyeol wouldn’t say he wasn’t the accepting kind of person; Kris was very open.  He wasn’t prejudiced towards gays – hell, he was gay – he didn’t mind if people wanted to crossdress, he was kind towards anyone no matter their skin tone. It was just something with Chanyeol that obviously bothered him.

Chanyeol had endured wandering touches, sentences that implied rather obscene activities, scorching looks that made him uneasy… For two entire months he’d endured it all, until he’d finally had enough. The next time EXO-M was in Korea, he pulled Kris into the room he shared with Baekhyun, kicked Baekhyun out and sat Kris down on his bed, standing in front of him.

Kris smirked. “Frustrated, baby?” he teased and Chanyeol could have hit him.

“No. Stop,” he said, watching in some kind of twisted satisfaction as Kris’ eyes widened to an almost comical size.

“You don’t like it?” he asked and Chanyeol reveled in how the sound of his voice gave away how hurt his ego really was. Chanyeol shook his head and sat down next to Kris on the bed.

“I have no interest in ual activities, Kris,” he said bluntly. “I’m aual. I’m not ually attracted to people.”

Kris was silent as he stared at the floor. Obviously he had a hard time grasping this concept and Chanyeol felt his heart break against his will. He had somewhere deep inside known Kris wouldn’t like it, but he’d still hoped he’d accept it.

“So there’s no chance of us having ? Ever?” Kris asked after a few minutes. Chanyeol sighed.

“Pretty much,” he answered, because he really didn’t feel like going too far into the future. Kris stood up and by the look on his face alone Chanyeol knew what he was going to say. He held a hand up to hopefully stop the hurtful words from exiting his mouth.

“I know,” he muttered, determinedly staring at the floor, “just go.”

Kris stayed in place for a few more moments before he heaved a deep sigh and turned towards the door. “I’m sorry, Chanyeol,” he said and the first few tears escaped Chanyeol’s eyes as the door closed.

Baekhyun entered a few moments later and by then Chanyeol’s tears were falling freely down his cheeks, dripping from his chin into his lap as he stared into the distance. Baekhyun sighed and sat down next to him, an arm around his shoulders. Chanyeol blinked and turned to look at him.

“Is it really that important?” he asked, unable to even bring himself to care when his voice came out cracked, broken.

Baekhyun shook his head. “No. At least not to me,” he whispered, drying Chanyeol’s cheeks with his sleeve. “But it’s different for everyone.”

Chanyeol let Baekhyun embrace him as he cried into his neck. He wished he’d fallen for Baekhyun rather than Kris. When he uttered the words, Baekhyun chuckled.

“Maybe you will one day,” he murmured into Chanyeol’s hair.

Chanyeol wondered if his ears were playing tricks on him or if there was hope in Baekhyun’s voice.