Lovely Surprises

Lovely Surprises

The heat was unbearable. The fact that the AC was broken didn’t help the young couple at all. It was at least 100 degrees fahrenheit (38 celsius) and the humidity made the air thick and hard to breath.

Luhan lay in bed, in a pair of shorts and a pink shirt with a rubix cube on it, waiting for his younger boyfriend, Sehun, to come home from work. If it wasn’t for Sehun’s job at his father’s law office, the couple would be living on the streets and not in their ridiculously small but comfortable apartment. Despite being 23 and 4 years younger than Luhan, Sehun was the one who wore the pants in the relationship and Luhan was the housewife. Which reminded Luhan, he needed to make dinner.

Walking into the small kitchen that was connected to the living room,Luhan pulled out some ingredients for dinner. He decided to make a typical Chinese dinner he’d grown up with. It consisted of rice, stir fried vegetables and pork. While cooking he heard his phone go off, signaling to him he had a text from someone. It didn’t surprise him it was from Sehun.

From: Sehunnie
Hey babe, I’m leaving work now. Miss you Hannie. I have a surprise for you when I get home.<3

Luhan smiled.

To: Sehunnie
I can’t wait. Drive safely. Miss you too Hunnie <3

Sehun’s surprises never failed to put a smile on Luhan’s face, sometimes even tears of joy.

Dinner was done within a half hour. Luhan went into the bathroom to clean up and wash off the sweat that covered his face. They really needed to get that air conditioner fixed...or it just needed to not be a desert outside.  

“Yeobo,” Sehun’s voice rang through the house. “I’m home!”

Luhan walked out of the bathroom and walked up to his boyfriend.

“I missed you,” Sehun said before kissing his lover.

“I missed you too. I made dinner so go get cleaned up and come eat.” Luhan kissed Sehun’s cheek and went to set the table for dinner.

A few minutes later, Sehun came out of the bathroom in a pair of loose shorts and a wifebeater. The smell of dinner filled his nose. Walking up behind Luhan, he wrapped his arms around him and kissed his cheek.

“Smells good hyung.”

“Thanks babe. Go sit down and I’ll bring you some. There’s rice on the table already.”

The two ate dinner and talked about Sehun’s day at work. It was their typical dinner routine. Luhan also brought up the fact that he really wanted to find a job soon. He had been struggling to find one with his fashion degree that didn’t require him to work in a clothing store that would pay him barely enough to live.  Sehun just told him to  keep trying and one day he’d find a job.

After dinner, Sehun told Luhan that he wanted to show him something. Luhan nodded and after the couple cleaned up dinner and changed into something more appropriate, they left their small apartment.

They walked to the subway stop that was a  five minute walk from their house. They rode it for about 4 stops until they got to their stop. They were in the Hongdae district of Seoul.

“Sehunnie where are we going?”

“You’ll see soon lover, but first let’s have a date.We haven’t had one in a while and I mean this is a really good date spot.”

Luhan nodded in agreement. He couldn’t remember the last time they had time or energy to go on a date.

With their fingers laced, the couple walked up and down the streets. If it wasn’t for them already eating dinner, they would have eaten the delicious food the street vendors were selling.

The smell of ddukbokki filled Luhan’s nose. It was the first thing Luhan had put into his mouth when he first moved to Korea. There was nothing stopping him from getting it, no matter how filling their dinner was or his diet.

“Sehunnie I want the ddukbokki,” Luhan said with as much aegyo in his voice as possible.

“But yeobo we already ate.” Luhan pouted. “Fine.”

“Yay! I love you Sehunnie!”

Sehun went up to the street vendor and bought the ddukbokki for his boyfriend. Luhan happily ate the spicy rice cakes as they continued to walk.

Eventually, they moved away from the busy part of the district and got into a quieter part. They stood in front of an apartment building. Sehun pulled out a set of keys and the two walked up to the 4th floor of the apartment. Sehun unlocked the doors of the apartment and Luhan was welcomed into a much more luxurious apartment living room than theirs was.

“I don’t understand. Why are we here?” Luhan asked.

“Its ours.”

“What?!” Luhan couldnt believe such a nice apartment was theirs. Where had they even gotten the money?

“You heard me, it’s ours.”

“How?!”

“Dad had a friend who owed him a big sum of money and well he was selling this apartment and dad took it off his hands. Its all paid off. Dad figured we deserved to live a little better so he gave us it. Do you like it?”

“I love it!”
“Then let’s keep looking around.”

The kitchen wasn’t all that big but it had all modern appliances. Next was the bedroom. Sehun covered Luhan’s eyes for this.

“I want this to be another surprise,” Sehun said. It had sure shocked him when he’d first seen it and he definitely wanted to shock his boyfriend.

Sehun lead his boyfriend into the room and sat him down on the bed. Slowly he removed his hands from Luhan’s eyes and showed him the bedroom.

“Holy ,” was all Luhan could get out. Sehun laughed at the reaction.

Luhan ran to the window and looked at the view.

“The bathroom is pretty awesome too babe.”

Luhan looked away from the view and went into the bathroom.

“Please tell me this isn’t a joke,” Luhan begged.

“It’s no joke babe.”

“How much did this guy owe your dad?!”

“About 1.73010381 billion won ($1.5 million).” Luhan’s eyes widened. “Oh wait there’s one more room I have to show you.”

In the hallway was a sliding door that led to a small office. It wasnt just any office though, it was a small fashion design studio. Luhan walked in and had to wipe tears from his eyes. He touched the fabrics and the new equipment. Back at their now old apartment, he had an old sewing machine, but this one was new. On the desk there were a few folders and Luhan looked at them questioningly.

“What are these?” He asked.

“Open one.”

Inside a folder there was a piece of paper that said: NU’EST COMEBACK CONCEPT.

“Is this...” Luhan started his sentence but couldnt finish.

“You also have a job.”

“How?”

“I sent pictures of your work in and I also took some pictures of you working on designs and sewing stuff. I guess they saw your hard work and wanted you. I’m not surprised though.”

Luhan grabbed his boyfriend and cried into his shoulder. It was a lot of good stuff to take in. Sehun just held his boyfriend and smiled.

“I love you so much Sehun,” Luhan cried.

“I love you too Luhan.”

Sehun gave Luhan a short but loving kiss. He figured the ring in his pocket could wait another day.