Stealing Prince Charming(1)

Stealing Prince Charming.

So don't you worry your pretty little mind.

 People throw rocks at things that shine,

And life makes love look hard.

 

“Um excuse me?” Someone taped my shoulder.

I took out my earphones, turning around to face the person. A tall guy with straight brown hair stared at me, awkwardly. Slowly my cheeks turned red, exposing my embarrassment.  I put down the book I had in my hand, fixing my grandma looking glasses.

“Sorry. How can I help you?” I asked him, smiling.

“I was wondering if there was any way I could check out these books.” He asked me, showing me the huge books in his hand.

“I would say yes but Mr. Jonah would get extremely mad at me. Those books are original copies they aren’t meant to be checked out,” I informed him.

The guy sighed. “I really want to read them and I know the library is closing soon so I was just trying to see if I can take them home.”

I bite the inside of my cheek; trying to think about how I could help him. If I let him take the books home I could risk losing my job. If I lose my job; I wouldn’t have anything to do after class. But then again he doesn’t seem like a guy who would mistreat the books.

“How about we do this, there is a study hall upstairs I’m closing tonight so when I’m ready to close up I’ll go up and get you,” I responded, hoping he would like the idea.

The guy smiled, eagerly. “That works. Thanks.” He told me, grabbing the books from the counter.

I watched him go upstairs; he had opened the book already reading the first page.  Picking up my earphones, I put them back in my ear listening to my music.  I worked as an assistant librarian; whenever Mr. Jonah couldn’t come in I took his spot. It wasn’t a place normal teens would want to work at but it was always quiet here. I didn’t have to deal with rude kids; and I was able to stay here after hours reading books.

The only problem I ever had here was cleaning the shelves. The library was one of the biggest in Seoul; so it normally took me hours, even days to fix the shelves. I placed the last remaining books to their appropriate place before starting with the next set of books.

On top of the shelf was this dusty book; it seemed to have been here for years. I grabbed it blowing the dust away. I coughed a little as I inhaled some of the dust. On the cover of the book it said: “The Girl With A Dragon Heart”.  

The title was pretty odd; but it caught my attention. Sitting down on the ladder I opened the book and began reading. Time must have gone by quickly because next thing I knew the guy was calling out for me.

“Hey! Can you hear me?” He said to me.

I glanced down at him. “Sorry, I got lost in the book. Can I help you with something?” I asked him.

“It’s two in the morning. I accidently fell asleep.” He told me, embarrassedly.

Two in the morning? Oh ; Aunt Farrah must be losing her mind! I stood up; going down the ladder. When my feet landed on the ground, I turned around. The guy hovered over me, making me feel extremely puny.

“You have to go. I got side tracked and I have to close up before I get in major trouble.” I blabbered, reached over the counter to get my keys.

The guy followed me around. “How are you going to get home?” He asked me, worriedly.

“I’ll take the bus.” I told him, running up the stairs.

He chuckled. “The busses don’t run this late.” He responded, smartly.

I switched the lights turning off everything on the second floor. I jogged down the stairs, stopping in front of him.

“Then I’ll go walking.” I said, smiling tiredly at him.

“You’re going to walk home at two in the morning…Okay, you’re definitely crazy,” He nodded to himself.

It wasn’t like I wanted to; I had no other choice. My aunt had taken my car to work because her car didn’t start.  I wasn’t expecting to be get sidetrack and get home super late. I grabbed the book from the counter and stepped outside. I locked the door, pulling on them, making sure they closed correctly.

“Let me walk you home then.” He offered, following me down the street.

“Thanks, that’s kind of you but I’ll be fine walking alone,” I reassured him.

He didn’t listen to me; he kept his pace with mine. I wondered why he was walking me home; wasn’t he worried his parents would be freaking out where he was at? He grabbed onto my arm, making me stop walking.

“This is my car; I can take you home.” He told me, again.

I shook my head. “No, it’s fine. I don’t want to be a bother,” I told him.

“I insist,” He flashed me a smile.

I sighed. “Fine,”

He opened the door for me letting me step inside before running to the other side of the car.  I knew better than getting in a car with a complete stranger; but it would be more likely for me to get kidnapped in the streets than a car.

I told him how to get to my house and for quite a while it was silent. He glanced at the book in my hand.

“What’s the book about?” He spoke out, making small talk.

I smiled. “It’s sort of a sad story but it’s about this girl who ran away from home. It doesn’t say why though but she’s all dorky.” I laughed, to myself.

She sort of reminded me of myself. “She has a girl that doesn’t like her at all and she tries to destroy her but the girl doesn’t let her. One day she meets this handsome guy who she knows he’ll never pay any attention to her.” I told him, lowering my head.

The book caught my attention so much because it felt like I was reading my life. I could actually relate to the girl; I knew how it felt to fight for what you wanted. How it felt to run away from home; to have a girl that hates your guts for no apparent reason.

“So then what happens?” He asked me, interested in the story.

“I don’t know. That’s all I was able to read,” I responded.

“Well it seems interesting. Are you going to finish reading it?” He said, curiously.

I nodded. “Yeah, I probably will.”

He smiled. “Well when you’re done with it; mind telling me what happens?” He told me, looking at me for a moment.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you how it ends.”

He drove up to my two story house. My aunt and I lived alone; a house that big really wasn’t useful for us but she seemed to be in love with it. The guy stared at it, stunned by the view.

“I always wondered whose house was this.” He said, devouring the sight.

The house was on top of three acres of land; in the entrance it was full of flowers. On the side of the house there was a big Oak tree; that held a bench in the air. It takes a lot of work to keep the house clean but we managed to do it.

“Thank you for the ride. I appreciate it.” I told him, unbuckling the seat belt.

“No problem.” His brown eyes stared straight at me.

My heart began beating rapidly. Earlier today I didn’t actually pay much attention to him; but looking at him now, he was handsome. His pale skin, his pink lips, and his eyes everything about him seemed perfect.

I opened the door; stepping out of it as fast as I could. I exhaled; I was sure if I stayed any longer in there I would have kissed him. I walked towards the door, unlocking it. Before I stepped inside, I look back at him. He smiled, waving go bye before he drove away.

Aunt Farrah glared at me as I walked in. “Where have you been?” She yelled at me.

I sighed, sheepishly. “Aunt Farrah I found him.” I smiled at her, walking up the stairs.

She looked at me confused. “What the hell are you talking about?” She screamed at me.

I slammed my door shut; holding tight the book against my chest. Whoever he was, he was perfect, and I hoped he could be mine.

 

_____

I hope you like it Leave a comment<3