Happy Birthday!

The Dream Man Machine

As she draws lazily on her desk Bom looks up anxiously at her best friend “’Today could not get any better!’ is what I wish I could say, but of course life likes to screw around and turn my life upside down!!! AGH.”

 

“Bom don’t think too much on this I mean look on the bright side! It’s your birthday and your parents finally decided to let you date whoever you want. That is something that should make you excited right?” said Dara as she played with the hem of her skirt. “You are always complaining how you think your parents are determined to keep you single until you are an old maid and cannot be married off.”

 

*sigh* she looks out the window and can’t help but ponder the bleakness of the weather. I mean why can’t the sun come out right now and at least try to make my day better? Resigned she looks back at her friend who decided to completely shut her out as she talked to Seungri and Yongbae. They come from the Jr. high to visit sometimes, especially today since it’s her birthday they made sure to come over and see their older friends.

 

Looking at Seungri, with his P.E. uniform still on, he looked like a gangly kid not used to his body, but Bom could already see the handsome young man he would be in a few years. “Hey kiddo, where are my idiot brothers?” not that seeing them will make my day better…they are probably planning different ways on how to make it worse.

 

“Sorry noona,” flashing a smile, “I haven’t seen either of them today.”

 

“You mean they aren’t sick?” interrupted Yongbae, “Jiyong wasn’t in class today and Seunghyun hyung wasn’t at his locker either.”

 

“WHAT?!” Bom’s voice cracked and the whole classroom turned and gave her an odd stare. Ruffled she continued at a calmer, more temperate volume, “What do you mean they weren’t there Yongbae?”

 

“Just what I said: they weren’t there.”

 

 “I bet they are up to something. Your brothers are notorious for their stupid stunts! We have to find them before they embarrass you again Bom.” Getting up Daea pulls a shocked Bom from her seat and into action, turning back to look at the boys. “If you find out anything about them call me! Yongbae has my number.”

 

Already sprinting through the door a determined Bom goes into the hall with Dara at her heels. She doesn’t know exactly where they are but she has a guess. She rounds the corner of the busy hallways and takes the stairs two at a time. She gets through the front and heads toward the back of the school leading Dara to an old and unused path that takes them straight to the abandoned school building.

 

“Bom? Are you sure this is where they are?”

 

“Not at all, but this is the only place I can think of.”

 

Cautiously the two girls go through the door and across the abandoned office into a dusty hall with barely any light filtering through the filthy windows. Walking down the hall they peek inside the neglected classrooms as though there was a murderer hiding in every room. Like any regular school there were rumors about the old school building, and none of them had the happy ending of a fairytale. Finally they arrived at the last door at the end of the hallway. Bom opened the door and they see a flight of stairs that lead underground to the basement.

 

“Oh no, you are not going to make me go down those stairs!” desperately staring at her friend as she turned around to face her. “Plus it isn’t like they are in there anyway. Come on Bom they can’t be down there.”

 

“Dara look closer! There’s a light glowing down there if it’s not them then I don’t know who else left that light on.” Bom turned her back to Dara and began walking down the stairs toward the mysterious glow.

 

“…oh I don’t know murderers?...ghosts?...” mumbled Dara as she followed Bom down the stairs.

 

Only as she got closer did Bom begin hearing the deep baritone of Seunghyun’s voice and the higher pitches of Jiyong’s. When I see them I am going to give them hell. Why do I have to spend half of my day finding these idiots? I have better things to do with my life, and when I see them they are going to know it. Stopping before the bend in the corner Bom listened in on their conversation.

 

“Do you think Bom will really like this?” There is Jiyong’s voice.

 

“Ahhh you worry too much! It’s perfect. Everything I make is perfect of course.” And there is Seung-hyun. As both boys go into a fit of laughter, Dara bumps into to Bom and sends both of them falling into the room ungracefully which only serves to silence the room and get them shocked stares. Grunting Bom looks up to see her brothers looking at her like she is a ghost. They glance at each other and look back at her, foolish grins cracking on their faces.

 

“Hey Bom! What a lovely surprise to see you here,” strutting over to her in her awkward position, Jiyong bends down and says, “welcome to our humble abode,” as he spreads his arms out wide gesturing to everything and nothing in particular id the room.

 

“Of course you too are welcome Dara-unnie,” walking over to stand next to Jiyong Seunghyun offers a hand to Dara and helps her up as Jiyong does the same for her.

 

Glaring at both of them she doesn’t know what to say. She is mad, but it was obvious they did this for her and she can’t help but feel flattered. “What on earth do you think you are doing? Skipping school and coming to an abandoned building that looks like it’s about ready to collapse! What is the excuse this time, huh? It had better be good otherwise you don’t wanna know what I will do to you when we get home.”

 

“But Bo—“stopping Jiyong in midsentence Seunghyun speaks up.

 

“Bom let me explain. We skipped school because if we wanted to be able to finish your birthday present we were going to have to use school hours in order to do so. You have impeccable timing; by the way, we just finished your present. If you will follow me over here we will show it to you and Dara-unnie.” Leading them away Seung-hyun walked over to something covered by a blanket.

 

“Get ready to run from a disaster!” whispered Dara into Bom’s ear. Elbowing her in the stomach Bom could only hope that that wouldn’t be the case.

 

Jiyong stepped in front of them, “if you will give me the honors, allow me to introduce you to the ‘dream man machine,’” grabbing the blanket he pulled the blanket off. At first sight Bom would think it’s just a stupid computer on top of a small box. Upon closer inspection she sees that it is not a box that the computer is on top of, but in fact a printer.

 

“You cannot be serious right now right? You skipped class so you could attach a computer to a printer? I could do that in less than five minutes!” Exasperated she looked to her side in order to gauge Dara’s reaction to this ridiculous contraption. Dara was not there but next to Seunghyun asking questions about the stupid machine. Rolling her eyes Bom only stomped after her friend to hear what she had to say.

 

“So what exactly does it do?” Innocent enough of a question, she thought, but she knew she was only trying to make conversation with her brother. Sighing she listened back to the conversation.

 

“…and you take the test on the computer which generates the personality of your ‘dream man’. Bara bing bara boom! The printer spits out what he would look like!” Turning to look at her, “so what do you think?” pulling Jiyong closer to him, “we’ve spent a whole month perfecting this for you. We even convinced mom and dad to let you start dating.”

 

“Eh? That was you?” baffled she didn’t speak for a moment and looked down. Glancing up she couldn’t stop herself from smiling at the hopeful looks on her two younger brothers’ faces. “Thank you. I couldn’t have wished for a better gift. Why don’t I try it out?”

 

Jumping up and down Jiyong quickly showed her how to use the contraption and steadily had her on her way to making her “dream man.” Well this isn’t too bad I suppose…they could’ve done much worse. As soon as she clicked finish the machine started making noise and everyone jumped back as it started working. Beeping and clicking the printer started clacking and sooner than she thought it would, the printer had produced a picture.

 

Dara looked from the boys to her, “well…? Are you gonna get it or not?”

 

Shooting her a glare Bom slowly approached the now quiet machine, plucked the picture from the tray, and gasped. What she saw on the picture was only one word: perfect. Dressed in a simple white v-neck and jeans, a man was leaning against a wall with hands tucked into his front pockets and a confident smile plastered onto a face with high cheekbones and kind brown eyes. His hair was a perfect length, not too long and not too short, with a suave style that completed the frame of his face. His skin was a soft peach, unmarred by neither any scars nor tan lines. Although the v-neck hung loosely off his frame Bom could tell that his body was well sculpted if only by the arms that peeked out of the sleeves.

 

“Oh my…”

 

“What is it???” Dara peeked over her shoulder and gave out a little squeal. “Oh my indeed! Boooom~ I like your style.” Giving her a wink and a hip bump Dara motioned for the boys to come over and look.

 

“Aish. Too bad mr. perfect doesn’t exist huh, Seunghyun.”

 

“Hmmm…doesn’t matter he can’t compete with me anyways,” letting a sarcastic smile play on his facial features he turns around. “Shouldn’t we be getting home now anyways, Bom? The bell has already rung and oemma will get angry at us if we are late.”

 

Dara glanced at her watch, “gah, It’s already this late?! I’m sorry Bom,” already running to the stairs Dara yells back “I’ll see you tomorrow at the usual place kay?” not waiting for a reply she leaves. Looking back to her brothers Bom gathers her thoughts. “Okay I don’t think we should tell oemma about this, she will only freak out, and I’ll never be able to calm her down.”

 

“Well then what are we going to do with it?” Gesturing back at the machine Jiyong continues, “we can’t just leave it here.”

 

“Jiyongie I highly doubt anyone is going to take the machine, and anyway it’ll only be for one night more.” Flipping her hair she started walking toward the staircase, “I’ll come by for it tomorrow does that sound like a plan?”

 

Looking back she saw Seunghyun glance at Jiyong and vice versa they shrugged and started to follow her. Bending down, Jiyong grabbed her picture as well as his school bag and set off after the already disappearing forms of his family.

 

 

After leaving the creepy old school building Bom felt much better until she realized how late it actually was. The sun was near the horizon, and she still had to go and get her bag, that is if the school was still open for her to get it.

 

Damn it! Now what am I gonna do? And im going to have to do it fast at this rate. All of a sudden her phone started ringing. Taking it out of her pocket she saw Dara’s name on the caller i.d. and immediately answered. “Hello?”

 

Bom the school building isn’t open and the janitors have all gone home! What are we gonna do? Our bags are still inside!” hearing her friends desperate voice she thought of what they could do. She opened her eyes and twirled around to face her brother Jiyong.

 

“Jiyong!” she gasped

 

Jiyong?”

 

“Me?”

 

“Yes you! You beautiful marvelous creature of God!” Bom grabbed his hand and quickly started back towards the school. “You are going to help me pick the lock to the school so me and Dara can get in and get our bags.”

 

“Oh why didn’t you say so?” as he started to run faster and soon he was out of sight. By the the time Bom finally reached the school building Jiyong had already opened the front door and Dara was running inside after him. Going up the stairs and rounding the corner she barely caught a glimpse of his bag as he stepped inside her classroom, and as she stepped in front of the door there he was, all smiles, with her bag in hand.

 

“Do you remember that time when you scolded me for picking the lock to the neighbor’s yard?”

 

Rolling her eyes Bom took back her bag and started for the stairs. She grabbed her phone, dialed Seunghyun’s number, and waited for him to answer.

 

An annoyed beep baritone answered “and where the hell did you guys go exactly? Don’t just compliment Jiyong and run like you saw the devil!”

 

Chuckling she replied, “oh calm down hyunnie I had to get my bag and Jiyongie know s how to pick locks silly. Don’t worry. Meet us the corner store and we can walk home together hmmm?”

 

 

Their mother was in the loveliest mood and her language was particularly colorful this evening. Sent to her room, Bom mulled over what happened and took out the picture from the machine. Looking at him again she could only wish that he were real. That some miracle would happen and he became as real as the covers on her bed were, but that is only a child’s dream. Carefully she grabbed the picture and posted it on her bulletin board.

 

Oh I could stare at him forever and a day. She traced the outline of his body with one manicured nail and sighed. This day couldn’t get any worse…

 

*knock knock*silence

 

*knock knock* she looks up and she knows her brothers are up to the antics again.

 

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK* finally she gets up, crosses her room and knocks in reply.

 

*knock* silence

 

*Bom? Sorry for kind of ruining your birthday*

 

*Yeah! We didn’t mean any harm we just wanted to see you smile!*

 

Smiling “it’s okay, I had fun I guess thanks I appreciate what you guys tried to do. Get some sleep tomorrow is the weekend and finals are next week!”

 

*Okay!*

 

*Yeah will do even though I don’t need it*

 

Shaking her head she walks back to her bed, looks at her picture, this day couldn’t get any better. She lies down and promptly falls asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thankfully her sleep is dreamless and in the morning she is so comfortably warm she doesn’t want to move. Snuggling closer to the person next to her sh— wait. She didn’t go to sleep with anyone…maybe its Seunghyun? But he would never do this and this body is too big to be Jiyong. Slowly she opened her eyes and looked up into the face that could only be her “dream man.”

 

A/N: hello~! this is my first fanfic so im sorry for any mistakes i didnt catch ^_^ i hope people enjoy this story o_0