Venturing into the Human World

Trading Wings for Love

In Heaven Kai POV

The soft warm breeze blew across my face pushing my bangs right in front of my eyes. The tips of my fringe started to tickle my nose, itching to make me laugh. I started chuckling beneath my and subtlely shake from my cross-legged pose. “Kai, stop laughing and concentrate, you must find your inner peace when meditating.” The monk instructed, slowly reaching for his knobbed cane. I couldn’t hold it in anymore, it was getting too itchy to bear. I fell onto my back and laughed uncontrollably. The monk sighed, “why can’t you ever sit still? Your father has ordered me to keep you under control.” He whacks the ground with irritation, sending a ripple of smoke from the end of his cane.

Hastened footsteps echo climbing down the ledges towards us. We watched patiently as small figure came panting. The little girl had two ponytails tied on both sides of her head. She had big, crystal blue eyes that reminded me of the sea. She opened to breathe one more time before she started talking. The monk heaves himself, awaiting the girl to speak.“The King has called for you Prince Kim Jong-in.” I got up slowly and gave a 90 degree bow to my instructor.

“I shall take my leave now, thankyou for today’s lesson.” I assured. My face turned sour the moment after I paid my respects. Wheels started turning, and thoughts were churning withing my mind.

What does this old fool want now? Asking me to go see him when I was actually enjoying my meditation classes.

I followed the little girl as her ponytails bounced like a basketball. Without noticing my eyes started bouncing to the pace of her ponytails. We winded through corridors and finally we arrived at the entrance of my father’s room.The three meter tall door, towered, carved with dragons of the Ancient times and mounted with prominent studs representing the bearings of Heaven. What’s so interesting about dragons anyway? I pondered distatefully. Suddenly a high-pitched voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Prince Jong-in is here, may you please open the door?” The girl beside me cried in her loudest voice. Her small staure, perlexed me with how such a thunderous voice could be emitted my her. I chuckled under my breath. It was cute seeing a girl yell like that. The massive doors creaked open slowly revealing my lazy father complacently slouched on the throne. How can a king sit like that? How did God even promote him to that venerable kingly status? I saunter up before him and bowed down. “I am here now, father.” I muttered tempted to seeth his name. “Well it has been such a long time since I last saw you my son,” He guffawed while skewering his teeth with a toothpick.

“I called you here today to plan your engagement with the Princess of Angels from the West. “ He added and with that he threw the toothpick on the floor. Within a second,a servant had scrambled out and retrieved it. He also took out a towel to wipe the floor making sure it was shining brightly ince again. I eyed him irritatingly, “I’ve told you many times I don’t want to get married!” I yelled in frustration.

“Well you have to because everything I say is 'Law'.'” He affirms himself, raising his posture from it's slumped one. I didn’t want to continue this any further as I knew it would result in my loss. With a blink of an eye I sprinted out of the room and elbowed my way out of the crowding servants. Women shrieked as golden platters collided with the marble ground, guards yelling to proceed with their pursuit to find me. I needed to run away. I hated this life, I was always forced to do whatever my father wanted. I wanted to be free. Slinking out of past the chalky pillars, I start to quicken my pace on the grass towards the forest. 

Various nail like branches scrape at my face, slitting me across my cheek. As expected, a numbing warmth immediately replaced the sting of imperfection. Within seconds it had dissappeared, my skin as flawless as it was before. I scampered further into a forest, climbing higher on top of a cliff, until at last I met the wide opening.

The edge of heaven. It was like an un-enclosed canyon, marked with rock pin formations. The fall would be fatal. I peer over causing pebbles tumbled down the edge off the ledge. The echoes of scritchy rocks never meeting the end of the gorge was domineering. I couldn’t see the bottom. With the clutter of metal, I turned back to see armed guards with pointy spears in their hands eyeing me.

“Prince you must go back, you can’t escape now.” A guard muffled from behind his headpiece. I turned back. There was no other way to escape this was there? I inhale one last breath, and leap off. The wind rippled through my hair. “ May the wind guide me.” I blurted out and closed my eyes. It seemed like forever since I felt my body drifting in air. I opened my eyes, abruptly arched glowing wings unravel from my back, I could fly.

Flying was my joy. It took away the stress of work and father's expectation. There was no limit, there was no standard line. It was freedom. Without flying, I would have given up hopes years ago...Centuries ago. Each feather I treasured dearly. Each second of flight a memory to reminise. My wings were my pride and joy. Everyone admired the articulate structure, unique to my lineage. 'Wings don't fail me, just one more time to escape. Just one more time.'

Just as I was adjusting to the winds I felt something suspending me and away at my wings. My wings screamed in anguish as they started to tear apart sending a wave of excruciating pain down my spine. Stinging pins of numbness elasping my skin. I twirl in confusion, panicing. For the first time I didn’t feel safe, as much as I didn’t want to admit it, I was scared. A  swirling pitch black portal  began to formulate infront of me. Well that’s what I thought it was.

I could hear people mumbling and chattering away. Silhouettes of wingless beings surrounding me. “He looks like a sleeping beauty, he’s so handsome” was all I could make out from the muffling noises. I groggily opened my eyes. The pain was still there. I hiss as I lean on my elbow, looking upward. Where am I? Everywhere around me I was surrounded by people with no wings. NO WINGS! No this can’t be no not the place I hate the most. No not humans this can’t be. I have officially created my worse nightmare. Venturing into THE HUMAN WORLD!

"Hey Mister, you know you’re very heavy and I don’t think my back can support you any longer. A voice mumbled underneath me. I got up abruptly and stared at her with wide open eyes."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you've enjoyed it :D I'm sorry, I know it's a bit boring at the start but i'll try to make it more interesting. I promise :) Sorry for it being too short.