Chapter One - CNU

Glittering Gold...

 

In getting the call to visit the principal I wasn't nervous. I was the best sorcerer in the school, how could this meeting be for anything bad. The school was like an old castle, with thousands of rooms, secret passages, courtyards and gardens. The children of the sorcerer race were sent to the school from the age of 10 to learn how to control their magic and find their affinity. Mine was unluckily energy. No one really knows what that means because in history there haven't been many people with that affinity. Also energy means you have almost an affinity in the four elements so I have to do those classes as well. Not that I mind, class is class and I want to be the next big sorcerer.

There aren't too many famous sorcerers as they are often companions of humans or shifters who get all the credit, but I won't be like that. All the credit will go to me and my race for all the great things that I accomplish. But of course I have to graduate first, and I might be able to graduate this year. Unlike the other races, we magi do not graduate after so many years,  for example humans graduate at 18, we graduate when our magic powers have matured enough for us to be examined, sorted and given a job in this world. It can be quite difficult as the average leaving age is 25. Children move up the ranks quickly, until about 18 where the first really challenging class comes in. I am 21 and am the youngest person at my level; I may also be the youngest person to graduate in a long time. Being the youngest in my class was at times awkward. We are trained separately to the women to encourage celibacy.

Celibacy isn’t required and there are lots of ‘campus couples’ some will marry, others won’t. Me? I’ve been single since the day I was born; I don’t want something like a woman distracting me from my magic. All the members of the high counsel are celibate. There has never been a member who wasn’t, and my aim is to be the head of the high counsel. But even then I can have relations now, it’s discouraged for those who are eyed by the counsel because they worry that meeting someone and a relationship would make someone not want to take up a position and therefore be celibate, but there is no real rule against it.

I was led through the corridors, getting looks from all the people we passed, whispering, was I in trouble? Was I graduating? I doubt that, even I know I’m not ready for the final test and the sorting into my career. I sensed this was something different. Something I would probably have no say in the matter, like having to attend some 5 races united thing, the magi were the only ones who weren’t schooled with the others.  The Faeries, The Polymorphs (as not all of them can turn into animals), The Lamia and the Humans can be schooled together taking ‘normal’ classes like literature, science and other alike subjects with the added in race equivalent classes.  It’s not possible for us, magic is science.  Magic is our maths. The scrolls are our literature. It is impossible for us to share their education, and in some ways that is quite a sad feeling.

I walked into the principal’s office and saw 3 boys standing in front of me, all in the same uniform I could tell instantly the middle one was a faerie, I had a suspicion that the shortest one standing on the right side of the faerie was a shape shifter, but I couldn’t be sure and then there was the one on the left side, who was standing just looking at me. I didn’t know what he was, he had all the features to be a vampire but one, he was standing in the sunlight, basking in its heat. “I don’t know these boys” I said instantly, as if in defence of some kind. What were 3 boys from the same mixed race school doing in the elite magi school? The one on the left laughed a little. I just looked at them, confused.

“Only one more to come” Elder Taewon said gently picking up his papers, his long grey hair was pulled back but otherwise he looked just like he normally did when he walked the halls. He offered me a small smile. “I think they arrived a few minutes ago, I’ll go and fetch them.” And with that Elder Taewoon glided past us with unimaginable grace. As soon as he had left the room, the shorter two of the other boys turned to look at me.

“So that’s what a witch looks like.” The faerie said condescendingly, what was that supposed to mean? The magi enabled the other races to live well. We were the helpers to his kind. I just rolled my eyes and shrugged, he can say what he liked, he’s just a faerie. The door behind me clicked and I heard the footsteps of two people. Then suddenly a snap hit the air.

 Attraction.

One of the 4 of us in this room was just attracted to whoever walked in. I looked at the faerie who was looking at me. ‘You felt that?’ he mouthed at me. I nodded.  Was the last person a girl? I turned and saw a human boy. In the uniform of an elite human only university, he didn’t look at all intimidated by the fact that we were all staring at him.

“Surely you, shifter have seen a human before.” He said blandly, to the blonde haired shape shifter, who just nodded completely in awe of this boy’s reaction to him. The faerie moved to say something. The human smiled a little. “How do I know what he is, faerie?” The faerie nodded, all of our eyes were on this human who possessed the sight that I had struggled with and that was rare for a human to have. “Well, he is a shifter, he looks like one. You are a faerie,” he turned to me, “this here is a warlock, and finally Mr. Sunshine over there is a vampire, and I am Jung Jinyoung, human.”  We all stood there in shock looking at him. He turned to me and just smiled. “Yes warlock, you want to know how I could tell sunshine over here is a vampire when he’s standing in that sunlight and not burning to death.” I nodded.

Jinyoung moved over to where the vampire was standing and grabbed his hands. “Odd he’s not wearing a ring or a bracelet.” Jinyoung shrugged. “Is it a necklace?” the vampire shook his head. “Anklet? It needs to be a circle.” The vampire shook his head. “Nothing.” Jinyoung tilted his head and smiled. “but you are in essence a vampire?” the vampire nodded. “Interesting.” Jinyoung smirked before returning back to his original place. “He’s special. He’s one of the legend daylight demons.” The vampire shot a look of confusion and horror at Jinyoung’s word.

“I’m a vampire.” The vampire said, “I was born this way,” to this Jinyoung let out a little laugh. “I can walk in the sun and can touch holy water and I saw the crucifix you’re wearing. It won’t stop me should I wish to drain you of your blood.” The vampire shrugged. “But I’m Gongchan.” I eyed Gongchan carefully; he was a vampire impervious to wards. Just fantastic.

“I’m CNU, a warlock.” I said plainly, there was nothing more to it than that.  The fairy told us his name was Sandeul and the shifter was called Baro and they were best friends, and although had been to the same school as Gongchan didn’t know him. Jinyoung stayed silent for most of the conversation. He interested me more than the others, how does a human know so much, especially one from an elite human only university.

Elder Taewon walked in. “Well boys, I see you all have met each other, there is a reason why you are all here. The Istina has been stolen.” He said gravely. We all inhaled sharply – well apart from Gongchan, does he even breathe? -. The Istina, a gold tablet which is used to control everything in our land should never be moved, everything goes into imbalance.  "In order to save our beautiful land of Čaroban, we needed to summon a team." Elder Taewon said looking at all of us who stood before him, "and each of you was selected for his individual power. Jinyoung, human, you posses great logical thinking as well as a mastery of several types of martial arts. You see things others can’t see.” I wasn’t surprised that that was his talent.  “CNU, a sorcerer, from what has been reported you are the most powerful sorcerer of your generation and are maybe more powerful than the elders.” I’d never heard that said about me and it was surreal to think people actually thought that. “Sandeul, faerie, extremely good at forcefield protection and mind reading, from what I've heard you can even manipulate the thoughts of others.” Sandeul wore a proud smirk and it made a little sense that he could read minds, he wasn’t talking much, but he wasn’t listening. Was he listening to our thoughts?

“Yes I am, Witch” he smirked, I glared.

“Shut it twinkle toes.” That came from Jinyoung who then just turned back to Elder Taewon and continued listening.

“ Baro, Shapeshifter, you are young yet have mastered shifting into both animals and humans, the power to mimick another human being is very rare indeed. And finally Gongchan, the vampire, who can somehow live in the bright light, without needing a protective ring or enchantment. The first of his kind." Elder Taewon smiled at us, almost, "You must now work as a team and bring back Istina." I nodded, this was the mission I was waiting for, I was going to make a name for the magi.

“I don’t want to.” That was Jinyoung. “I don’t want to go.” He said again. We all looked at him, it was an honour to be selected for this mission what was he possibly thinking.

“Well Jinyoung you have no choice.” Said Elder Taewon, “Your father has insisted that none of you 5 can back out of this, you were all selected out of everyone in the land. We chose the most eligible candidate from each of the 5 races. Now whether you like it or not, you will all be staying here for the night and then be escorted to the forests tomorrow morning, where you will begin your journey.” Jinyoung was glaring at Elder Taewon and we were all wary of what he would say next. “You will be sharing a dorm room to get to know each other better. CNU will take you to it. It’s in the tower” I nodded, the tower was forbidden for students. It was my first time going up, but I knew where it was. “It’s the top room of the tower, there is no key.”

I nod again, then turn and part being followed by the other four as I lead them through the archaic school grounds and up the tower. The tower has many stairs and is a place that only teachers and Magi leaders may go in times of panic, all the powerful protection magic was cast from this tower, but that didn’t bother me at all. I knew it was serious, our mission, so the prestige of being able to enter the tower was somewhat lost. That and I was guiding four people who had no idea what a tremendous honour it was to be allowed into the tower. Once we got to the top I opened the door and we all walked in, we walked into a large room with 4 beds and 5 piles of things.

“Who doesn’t get a bed?” Jinyoung asked, and I suddenly grasped the situation, the bed against the back wall of the room was my actual bed. Jinyoung appeared to have grasped this too, “Who’s bed isn’t here?” he walked down the beds and stopped at mine. “Let me guess, CNU it’s your bed.” I nodded walking over to my own bed, to check that the last letter from my mom was under my pillow – it was. Jinyoung was at the bed next to mine. “Sandeul, your bed?” Jinyoung half asked half demanded. “This one is mine.” He said standing over the bed next to Sandeul’s, the blue duvet cover somehow resonated Jinyoung. Well that and wealth. Then he stood next to the furthest bed from me and just smiled. “Sunshine.” He said the smirk he wore was equally prominent in his tone of voice. “Which leaves Baro.”

Baro shook his head and Jinyoung again smirked defiantly. “He has a bed guys.” Jinyoung motioned towards a pet bed that was at the foot of Sandeul’s bed. “You sleep in animal form right?” Jinyoung asked with another smile. “It’s not rare for shifter’s to do that.”  We all stopped talking and unpacked our things until Gongchan piped up from the end.

“How did all our stuff get here?”, I laughed inwardly, it was a simple spell that most 14 year olds could perform. I told him and he nodded taking in all the information. I was beginning to worry about his school’s curriculum as the trio appeared to know very little about the other races.  Once we’d unpacked there was a knock on the door, dinner. I opened the door and handed out the 5 plates, each of us had the same meal of mac and cheese.

“Sunshine” Jinyoung interrupted our silent eating, “What are we going to do when we’re travelling, I assume you drink blood as well.” We all froze. I’d forgotten about that. Gongchan was a vampire, even as a day walker he still had all the vampiric attributes.

“I can manage on food.” Gongchan said quietly.

“Because you on a diet of food is going to be a great addition to our team.” Jinyoung was sarcastic.

“How come he’s eating food?” asked Sandeul and Jinyoung, Gongchan and I just looked at him, the more he talked the more worried I got for the education system of the other races. “If he eats food, why does he need blood?” It was only Sandeul’s second question and I was willing him to shut up.

“You go to school with vampires Sandeul and you don’t know.” Said Jinyoung condescendingly, “Well, vampires as well as the fangs, aquiline faces and badly dyed hair.” Jinyoung said referring to the blonde hair that Gongchan was sporting. “Have powers, they are super strong, super fast, some can turn into bats but you have to master it and the most important one is that they are actually a healing race. But to heal they need power, and where do they get power from Sunshine?”

Gongchan mumbled “blood” as he put down his plate then shrugged, “I didn’t have a feeder at school before you ask.”

“Aren’t vampires supposed to only feed off one person?” Jinyoung asked, looking at Gongchan. “and what blood do you drink?” we all looked at him horrified. “Look, one of us is going to have to feed him.” Jinyoung said strongly, he was a natural leader I’ll give him that and to be honest he was right. One of us would have to feed him to keep him at full strength.

“Human blood.” Gongchan said quietly. I saw Sandeul smirk, I assumed he was thinking that Jinyoung would back down from what he said a few seconds before about one of us having to volunteer to feed him.

“Ok, I’ll feed you once a day.” Jinyoung nodded, “But if I can’t give you any blood because I’m too weak or sick, Baro will have to give his blood.” I looked at Jinyoung who just laughed, “CNU, you and Sandeul can’t give him magical blood and Shifters are the closest to human DNA.” Jinyoung then hesitantly turned to Gongchan. “Have you fed today?” Gongchan shook his head. “Have you fed off a living person before?” Gongchan nodded. “Shall we try today, I’ve never had any blood taken.”

I was surprised by Jinyoung’s bravery; he really was going to do this. Gongchan nodded. “It will be best to see what effect it will have on you here, where it’s safe.” Jinyoung nodded and once we’d finished eating Jinyoung got up and sat on his bed, Gongchan sitting next to him. My job was to keep an eye on Jinyoung and if something went wrong to cast a spell to keep him alive. Sandeul was there to compel Gongchan’s mind to stop him if Jinyoung was in danger.

Gongchan gently moved closed and Jinyoung closed his eyes tightly, I knew he was afraid, we didnt know when Gongchan had last drank from a human as he didn't have a feeder at school. I began murmuring a spell under my breath to calm Jinyoung a little, knowing that it would be easier for Gongchan to take blood if Jinyoung was calm. Jinyoung relaxed a little and Gongchan leaned over, parting his lips, his fangs detracting so he could pierce the skin. I looked away as Gongchan sank his teeth into Jinyoungs neck. When I looked back, Jinyoung was leaning a little, giving Gongchan more access.

Jinyoung looked a little too pale but Gongchan hadn't stopped. I was beginning to worry. Jinyoung tapped Gongchans leg. "Sunshine, Stop" Jinyoung said quietly and me and Sandeul held back. Gongchan pulled back. Then ran his tongue over the two small holes, which healed themselves. Jinyoung closed his eyes and fell to the side his head resting on Gongchan's chest. "I'm sleepy" he mumbled.

"You can't go to sleep yet." I told Jinyoung who just glared at me, still lying his head on Gongchan. "I'm going to check your vitals and give you something else to eat. Then you can go to sleep." I said. Jinyoung shook his head.

"I'm fine. He stopped when I asked him too." Jinyoung said quietly. I handed him a chocolate bar which he ate and a little colour returned to his face. He was also sitting with out the support of Gongchan.

"Can you live off less blood?" I ask Gongchan. He nods. "I don't know how well. We could deal with this much loss in the forest. Jinyoung was back leaning on Gongchan. But that was to annoy him off the bed. Gongchan got the message.

"Sorry about taking so much" Gongchan said quietly. Jinyoung just curled up In the bed, and closed his eyes. "Sorry guys." Gongchan whispered. Getting up off the bed as Jinyoung was curled up pushing against him. Jinyoung was soon asleep and everyone just looked at Gongchan. "Well that went well." Gongchan said almost sarcastic, something told me there was more than that but today was not the time.

The four of us packed, occasionally checking that Jinyoung was still breathing and making blood. I did a quick spell to check his vitals and everything was fine, the blood loss had just drained his energy. The other two were skirting around Gongchan, I felt like I had to say something as normally Jinyoung would but he was sleeping. "Guys," I spoke up. "Dont be like that with Gongchan, he's not going to attack you, Jinyoung willingly gave him blood and Gongchan stopped as soon as Jinyoung asked him to."

Gongchan nodded, "We only have one feeder because you have to learn, with each person, how much you can take, how you should take it, how long they take to recover, where on the neck to bite." Gongchan said looking at them. "He's lucky I got the place to bite in one go. It takes time for the others. His body will also get used to losing blood. And he will heal better. He told me to stop, which was good, but he told me after he'd lost too much. Which is something we both have to learn." Gongchan looked back at Jinyoung who was still sleeping, curled up blissfully. I didn't have to be a mind reader to tell Gongchan felt guilty for Jinyoung's condition.

"You did ok." I told him, "He's fine, he just needs to recuperate." Gongchan nodded. "You stopped as soon as he said." I continued packing the food. Sandeul smiled across at me, with a look that said, I need to talk to you and Thank you for saying that to him. I just nodded. Gongchan was the first to finish packing, he packed the tent essentials. He got up and silently hanged and got into bed, pulling the blankets tightly around himself. 

Baro finished next, he had to pack none food, none clothing, items that we needed, like pans, magic equipment and health supplies. He transformed into a small beagle and curled up in the dog bed and was asleep. Sandeul turned to me. "You felt the attraction this morning didn't you?" I nodded. "It wasn't me and it wasnt you, you were facing me. You didn't see Jinyoung until after the attraction." I nodded again. "So it's either Gongchan, Baro or Jinyoung, or one of the Magi."

"It wasn't a Magi, they would have masked it." I informed him.

"So one of the 3, as if it was you, attraction would have hit sooner." Sandeul said. "It's not Baro I was reading his mind at the time." Sandeul shrugged.

"I don't think it was Jinyoung."

"I don't think it was Gongchan either."

"So who do you think it was?" I asked

"You." he said blandly. I just laughed, it was not me. But at the same time who cares who had an attraction to Jinyoung, or of Jinyoung had an attraction to one of us. If its unrequited it is, and if it's mutual good for them. He looks at me. "What?"

"Im a magus. I'm celibate." I tell him, he looks at me. "And no that's not code for homoual. I am straight. I just don't get attraction. Plus I know how to mask it. And you said I would have had my attraction earlier as I didn't see Jinyoung."

"You're a witch. I don't know what you can do." Sandeul said blandly. I just rolled my eyes and got up, the clothes were packed. "See you I the morning, why dont you read everyone's mind and find out if you're so interested."

"You're blocking me. I can't read Gongchans mind clearly, he thinks really lavishly, and often in riddles and French as well. I think he is trying to block me in the only way he can. And Jinyoung has got a protective enchantment on him, that stops mind reading and mind compulsion, I tried to compulse him to take it off but didn't." I let out a little laugh and he got up. The food was packed. We both walked to our beds. "I can hear thier dreams. And I'll hear yours when you sleep" Sandeul sighed. "I liked things how they were, Baro selectively blocks me from listening, opening his thoughts to me when he wants me to hear. Gongchan is in the process of learning to block me, Jinyoung is blocking me, you're blocking me. My own thoughts were the only things I could hear. It was nice."

"You listen always?"

"It takes up so much energy to block, because I have to block every individual. Where as you can block your mind to everything. I have to block 4 times." Sandeul sighed. I realised he had a blessing and a curse. "There are enchantments to stop my mind reading, but sometimes Baro needs to speak to me by thought."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know it was that hard." I sigh, "good night." I try to smile, as I strip down to my boxer briefs and slip under my blanket, using a very simple spell to turn off the light. I try to understand everything that has happened today.  Tomorrow I leave with the four boys sleeping here to find Istina. We haven't been properly briefed yet. But it's probably safer. Tomorrow hopefully Jinyoung will be in full health. We need him to be, especially as Gongchan will drink again tomorrow. I look over to see Jinyoung now lying on his other side, facing Gongchan. His breathing looks normal.

I move onto my back and stare at the ceiling. I can't believe this is really happening; I'm going to make a name for myself. Finally it will be a warlock who gets the credit and not one of the other five races, the idea exhilarates me. Shin Dongwoo, warlock who saved Čaroban. That sounds good.