A Collapse

Do dreams turn to dust?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kai’s Point of View

As I near the music room, I hear low voices from within and one of them cannot be mistaken for a woman’s.

“I thought I’d find you here.” It said. Should I take a look? Do I even want to know who it is? I aversely muster my courage and peer through the door’s crevices.

Inside, I see a stranger. And beneath his arms is a girl. And upon seeing her jet-black hair I know it’s none other than Rin. They’re talking in hushed tones and I feel as if I’m intruding. It obvious they’re close. I can feel their connection radiate to where I stand. And somehow, it’s heart-wrenching.

I watch them together and witness her glow in such a different manner. Something inside me lurches and a part of me dies a little. Seeing her like this, hurts. Then I catch myself wishing I were that guy. But no, I don’t deserve to be in his place yet.

I drag my head away and cease eavesdropping. I turn and leave. It’s about time you wish you didn’t leave Se Hun for nothing. My subconscious challenges me. I stop in the midst of my flight and answer him, I know I didn’t. But then, why do I walk away with reluctance and doubt?

***

I am back in my sanctuary. My haven. I stare at myself through the enormous mirror and snapping myself back to reality, I promptly switch off the lights, lock the doors and plug the headphones to my ears. I take out my iPod and skim through the song titles until I come across a song I like. When I do, I play it. Before losing myself, I swiftly remove my polo and discard it. Afterwards, I float.

***

With music blaring in my ears, sweat dripping from the strands of my hair, my breath growing short and shallow, I am unstoppable. Pain is starting to shoot up my legs, my back and my chest. What do you expect? It’s been years since the last time you danced. But this I ignore as I glide with the beat and rhythm, drinking in the music.

Adrenaline is rushing through my veins as I aim to move with fluidity. I briefly observe myself through the mirror, astonished and surprised. From the bobbing of my head to the lightness of my foot, it’s as if I never stopped dancing.

As the music reaches its crescendo, I feel like bursting into pieces. Fragments. Shards. My very senses are heightened. Enhanced even. I’ve never felt so alive.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter