Ignorance.

[EXO Valentines One-shots] 14th January: Diary Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Kyungsoo, darling, baby, you need to stop.” Kyungsoo looks up from the diary he has laid in front of him, his right hand still continues to shade in the extra details as he stares at you for a few seconds before looking back down. “Really now?” you say, feeling annoyed.

No respond, no sign of stopping, no nothing. You cross your arms and continue to glare at the older boy (just by one month) before you, wondering how you two ended being best buddies over the year. Well, it’s almost a year. And it is kind of a funny story how the both of you met. It’s definitely almost too scary how you two become ridiculously close.

Your gaze then shifts to the purple-colored diary, that stupid purple diary, Kyungsoo has been working on it since the day he bought it. He bought it last Christmas and you see it every day after that since he’s always busy drawing on it. And you know very well the reason why he bought it. Diary Day, you curse inwardly.

Honestly, you don’t get why couples celebrate Diary Day in the first place. Kyungsoo told you couples would exchange new diaries and then fill them with future plans and anniversary dates. Now that’s stupid. What’s the use of mobile phones then? They have calendars installed in them, don’t they? Isn’t bad enough that they have to spend money on phones but now they have to fork out extra cash to get something to give and receive another in return which they probably won’t even be using it in the near future or never? They could just give you the extra money.

“I would spend them on food,” you mutter under your breath and Kyungsoo looks back up to you. His eyes are bigger than the usual when he’s confused or clueless. Not like they’re not already huge normally.

“Hmm?”

“Can you please stop?” you ask, holding one hand out to the direction of the diary. “Not to burst your bubbles, but Kai probably won’t even appreciate it.”

He drops his head and flips the page, the word ‘October’ inked in lighter shades of purple at the top-right corner. “How do you know I’m giving it to Kai?” he asks, skilfully drawing a perfect circle as you watch him. Seeing how he did that easily, people would be impressed but you have long surpassed that stage. As his best friend, you know about his talent in drawing. “Maybe I’m giving it to someone else.”

You snort, far from an attractive way. “Who else can you possibly give it to? And god, you fell head over heels for that bimbo.”

Kyungsoo raises his head up slightly to roll his eyes at you before concentrating on whatever he’s doing again. You sigh and lean back into your seat, scanning the empty classroom that is only occupied by the both of you. Snapping your head back to him, you then lean forward, resting your chin on the back of your palm, elbow on the table. You stare at his dark hair because that’s the only part of him that is not hidden right now, not like his creepy eyes which are glued to that stupid diary. And you rather not stare at his hands because the diary will be in sight. Or you can just stare at his shoulders.

“Truthfully, why do you like him anyways?”

“Who?”

“Me,” you answer sarcastically and Kyungsoo freezes, only to nervously pick up from where he stopped on the page. You eye him weirdly as you slump back into your seat. “Kim Jongin, silly.”

“He’s a bimbo, like you said,” he answers you simply and you can’t get more annoyed.

It’s already bad that you’re being replaced by a purple diary, you can’t possibly imagine being replaced by Kim Jongin with the stupid purple diary in his hand. Nah, he’ll probably chuck it in the trash can after Kyungsoo gives it to him. He seems like the kind of guy that wouldn’t appreciate anything. But then again, that’s just your assumption. You don’t really know him personally but since he’s like one of the most popular kid in school and all the popular kids in your school are douchebags, you figure he’s probably a douchebag too.

And now Kyungsoo is acting like one.

“Really?” you say sardonically and blow your fringe upwards. “I really thought you would have better taste.”

Kyungsoo ignores your comment, which he does often so you aren’t angry, and continues to draw on the next page. You realize the page before is the last page for October and now he’s moving on to the November section. You raise your head slightly, just to see what he’s drawing but he notices you and so he slowly moves his free hand to cover his on-going masterpiece. It annoys you how he’ll always be drawing on the diary in front of you but you’re never allowed to know what he’s drawing exactly. You furrow your eyebrows and quickly reach your hand forward; planning to slap onto the diary and snatch it across the table but Kyungsoo’s quick response beats you to it, pulling it away from the table, and you end up slapping hard onto the table instead.

You wince at the jolting pain, carefully retreat your hand and Kyungsoo gives you an apologetic pout. “I’m out,” you hiss and stand up, ignoring the red marks on your hand. Pushing your fringe back, you then put on your baseball cap and slide the peak to the back of your head, then tucking a few strand of hair in place.

“Where are you going?” he asks wonderingly, staring up at you with his doe-eyes. You gulp with a strange feeling in your stomach.

You quickly grab onto your bag, slinging it over your shoulder. “Uhm, home, I guess.”

His mouth forms an ‘o’ and he then nods with a smile. “I’ll be back to prepare dinner.”

You lower your gaze to the purple diary and scrunch up your nose. Looking back to him, you say warningly, “Oh, you better.”

 

 

“You’re the best!”

Kyungsoo lets out a small laugh as he takes a seat next to you, watching you stuff noodles into your mouth ravenously. You put the spoon aside, making full use of the pair of chopsticks between your fingers. Who ever needs a spoon for Kyungsoo’s noodles? There’s no time for polite soup-drinking demonstration. You normally just chug the whole thing down.

Suddenly realizing that he still has his apron on, he quickly stands back up and run to his kitchen –yes, his kitchen because it’s his territory- to return it to where it belongs; the purple hanger.

Oh, Kyungsoo is obsessed with the color purple. His kitchen is fully purple. Not to be exaggerating but if anyone is to walk in there, they will experience major brain spasm. It’s mind screwing. The first time you walked in there, you swear you feel as though Barney the Dinosaur will jump out from blending in with the walls to greet you out of the sudden.

When he returns, your eyes slowly move to the corner of your eyes where he’s standing while your head remain stagnant just above your bowl of curry noodles. Your gaze never left him until he sits down and you look back down to your almost empty bowl while he continues to stare at you. Sensing that his eyes are still pinned onto you, you cautiously look up. You shrug your shoulder, one noodle is hanging from your mouth, and you ask, “What?”

He manages a light chuckle and shakes his head, focusing to his bowl of noodles. “Nothing. It’s just great to know that someone appreciates my cooking.”

You shoot him a confused expression, that strand of noodle still hanging out. “Who wouldn’t?”

Kyungsoo plays with his noodles, swirling them with his chopsticks. He let out a small laugh which sounds almost too bitter. “My parents.”

Upon hearing this, you in the hanging strand of noodle in one go. “There, there,” you say in between chews and pat Kyungsoo’s free hand comfortingly. “I’m here.”

Kyungsoo is never happy or proud when it comes to mentioning about his parents and the same goes to them about Kyungsoo. Since you know it’s a sensitive issue, you never speak of them or even bring them up whenever Kyungsoo is around. Kyungsoo couldn’t stand them, their bossy attitude and their opinion on him and his future. That is practically the reason why he moved out and rent an apartment with you in the first place.

Now, it might be weird that the two of you are sharing an apartment by your own selves. You know, since he’s a guy and you’re a girl. But his parents don’t know about it, or rather, don’t know about him having a girl as a housemate, and your parents on the other hand, trust you a lot so there isn’t much problem here. And come on, the both of you are just best friends. Buddies.

His eyes trail from your hand then up to your face. He smiles, eyes curving into thin crescents. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome!” you reply with a mouthful of noodles, imitating his eye smile which is too adorable. It’s almost like you’re making fun of how small his eyes can be.

His smile is then replaced with a disgusted look. “Yah, can you eat in a more lady-like manner?” He lets out a tsk of disappointment. “Which guy is going to like you if they see you eating like this?”

“You,” you joke and happily hold your bowl up to your face to drink the curry soup. Kyungsoo clears his throat and starts eating his dinner.

Lady-like manner? Pft. Please, you will never be anywhere near feminine. Perhaps the only thing that is feminine about you is your name. Oh, wait, and your long hair. You just can’t stand having short hair. Weirdly enough, it makes you feel insecure. And your hair needs to be down and over your ears, covering them. It’s just a weird thing about you.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, is the total opposite of you. You are a sports person while he is a maid. Kidding, he just enjoys cooking and cleaning. You love spending half of your day on computer games while he loves spending half of his day on getting rid of your other computer games. He in hiding stuffs, really. You have a black belt in Taekwondo, he has a pepper spray in his bag. You use his body shampoo to wash your hair, he has four different bottles of hair shampoos and conditioners. For fun and out of randomness, you will sometime call him with names like dear, baby and darling while he calls you with nicknames like pookiepie, honeybunny or pumpkins. Dunkindonuts. Anything with food. And sounds gag-worthy. Oh, you get the point.

You’re a total tomboy while he… well, you wouldn’t say he’s feminine. Okay, who are you kidding? He’s totally girly, compared to you that is. He’s probably gay. Again, it’s just your assumption at the very beginning but you begin to believe it is true when Kyungsoo starts fangirling over Kai non-stop few months back. At first, it is just merely teasing but now, you conclude that he really does like Kai and you’re pretty much annoyed by it. Why? You don’t know. Maybe it’s the fear of losing your only best friend.

Your only best friend. Yes, Kyungsoo is your only best friend, sadly but not entirely. You figure he’s the only friend that you need. You two are complete opposites but that’s just what you love about your friendship with Kyungsoo. He knows how to make you laugh. He’s not funny but he is able to make you laugh in the most random way ever. Plus, he cleans for you, cooks for you, wakes you up in the morning (his sweet voice beats the annoying alarm beep) and takes good care of you when you’re sick. Honestly, anyone must be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter