As Time Goes By

Her World Upside Down

 

 

 

"Umma, is appa coming to Japan, too?" The three year old asked with wide eyes.

 

"Molla, Juju-ah! Maybe he will, and maybe he won’t.” The little girl’s mother pinched her rosy cheeks with watery eyes. “Juju-ah, remember that your name is Jinju, alright? Just Jinju, You don’t have a surname, alright? All you need to remember is your given name. Jinju… My pearly skinned Jinju… Umma loves you, do you love Umma back?”

 

“Ne, saranghae, Umma~.” The little girl known as Jinju blasted her mother with aegyo.

 

“Alright Juju, we’ll be living with that Ajusshi for a while, ok?” Jinju’s mom pointed at a man a few feet away from then. Why don’t you take your luggage and go over there to greet him? I’m going to go somewhere first.”

 

Jinju smiled while nodding her head obediently, she slowly dragged her pink and black polka-dotted suitcase over to the man, the man waved at Jinju with a gentle smile, then looked at her mom and gave her an ok sign. Jinju’s mom’s eyes were full of tears. She gave the man a weak smile and walked off with all her belongings.

 

“Hello there!” He picked Jinju up, and started pinching her little pin on top of her head. “What’s your name, cutie?”

 

“Jo—ani, Jinju! Just, Jinju.” She put on an eye smile.

 

That man and Jinju became good friends in less than ten minutes, the man kept asking silly questions that made Jinju giggle, there was no awkwardness between them. Jinju was very happy, they went to the man’s apartment and there were already brand new toys waiting for her there!

 

“Waaaah~, Ajusshi, can I play with these?” Jinju stared at the toys with wide eyes. The man lowered her to the ground, and gestured her to go ahead and play.

 

 

“Ajusshi!” The now 13 year old Jinju yelled from the bathroom. “I have a really bad problem!”

“What? Did you run out of toilet paper?” The man asked, with a full mouth. He stood up with a chicken drumstick in his left hand and grabbed a new roll of toilet paper from the coat closet.

 

“Aniyo! It’s worse!” She panicked

 

“What is it?” He questioned in front of the washroom door.

 

“You know… Like… The thing girls get when they’re around my age…” A small voice was heard from the inside of the bathroom.

 

“What? SPEAK LOUDER.” He demanded.

 

“The things girls get at my age!”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Oh. My. Gosh. Ajusshi! You can be so clueless at times! I HAVE MY FRICKEN PERIOD!”

 

The man dropped everything he was holding in his hands and panicked. He totally forgot about that problem, he hasn’t even thought of it yet, in fact, he forgot that Jinju was already at that age. “OK, OK. WAIT RIGHT THERE. LET ME GO TO THE STORE!”

 

 

 

JINJU’S POV

 

“Jinju-ah, I think you’re at the age where you should know the truth about why I’m your guardian. But first, I’ve got to say happy sixteenth birthday to this special girl with a special name who have lived with me for twelve years. You know, it seems like I’ve known you all my life… I guess I can say I’ve grown attached to you.” I’m finally sixteen. I haven’t even noticed how fast time flies… I’ve been living with Ajusshi for twelve whole years now… He’s like my father… My best friend… I don’t have any friends, because Ajusshi told me not to get attached to people. Why? I don’t know why, but he said it was because they’ll leave you one day. However, there is one person I’m attached to. And that person is Ajusshi. He took me in after my own mother left me. I don’t want to know the truth about why she left though. No, not yet, maybe when I grow older. Right now, I just want to ignore everything, and just celebrate my sixteenth birthday with my Ajusshi. Come to think of it, Ajusshi has never told me his name…

 

“Ajusshi, thank you for taking care of me for all these years. I’m not curious about why Umma left me right now. But I am curious about another thing… Ajusshi, what’s your name?” He only laughed.

 

“You don’t need to know my name Jinju-ah. You’ve called me Ajusshi for many years now, I don’t get why you need to know my name.” But that’s the only thing I’m curious about right now…

 

“But I want to know Ajusshi’s name! Please, please, please, please, please, please, JEBAL!” I gave him my famous puppy dog eyes. I know he’ll tell me! He can’t resist my aegyo! Yes, I’m known as a cold person at school, and anywhere else. But when I’m with Ajusshi, I feel free, like I’m my three year old self again.

 

“Ani Juju, maybe I’ll tell you when you grow older.” He called me Juju, he only uses that when he’s about to give into my aegyo! And older?! What does he mean by ‘older’? I’m already old!

 

“Like what? When I’m married?”

 

“If, I’m still with you, then, yes.” He almost whispered.

 

He won’t tell me! Fine, I guess I’ll just have to wait… But wait.

 

“What do you mean by, ‘if I’m still with you? You’ll always be by my side, right?” He gave me a bitter chuckle and dabbed his hands in the icing of the cake.

 

“Not always Juju, I won’t be by your side all the time…” Did I just see tears in his eyes? Did something happen? Did I do something wrong? Hmm, maybe this’ll cheer him up. I grabbed the cake with a pout and the next thing you know; he had cake all over him!

 

“I’M SO SORRY AJUSSHI, I JUST WANTED TO—”

 

“No need to worry! Can you pass me some tissues though? I think I got some in my eye.” WHERE IS THAT DAMN TISSUE BOX, WHAT IF I CAUSED HIM TO BE BLIND? OH. MY. GO—FOUND IT! It was on the ground… I picked it up and turned around to give it to Ajusshi.

 

“AHAHAHAHAHAA! DO I LOOK LIKE THAT TOO?" Yup, I got caked as well, aish. This Ajusshi, never growing up, just as childish as I am…

 


Hello! I'm KpopLoverAM. I took so long to write the frist chapter! I'm so sorry. D:

K, anyways, this is like a teaser chapter for the actual story. Please pay attention to her personality as the story goes on. (:

Oh and for this chapter, you can see how she has a really tight bond with that Ajusshi. And how they're  the best of friends...

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!