Charms and Broken Promises

Charms and Broken Promises

 

Charms and Broken Promises

 

The first time Jung Yonghwa has laid his eyes to Seo Joo Hyun was when he was 2 years old and a few days older. His mother, who was the bestfriend of Joo Hyun’s mother, brought him to the Seo Kingom’s palace to congratulate the new mother.

According to his omma, when he first saw Seo Joo Hyun, he wailed to be put down to her pretty cot and their with the mind of a two years old he twined his pinkie finger to his future fiancée and from then on he never wants to let go.

From their families’ point of view, the two young royals are meant to be. An arrange marriage has been set and everyone is celebrating.

The next time they saw each other once again is on the princess 9th birthday. The young prince held a beautifully wrapped present, a large grin painted his lips. And when his princess finally came down from the stairs, he can’t help but let out a larger grin and throwing all his manners he run towards his beloved.

He encaged the young princess in a huge bear hug, while the beautiful child returned it with a smile. Letting go, he happily gave her his gift and a sloppy kiss in the cheek.

“Happy birthday, Joo Hyun-ah” he greeted with a smile. And the young princess slowly opened her gift. Inside the box is a silver bracelet with a single charm. A small butterfly.

“This is really pretty, Oppa.” She said and the prince clasps his gift to his princess’ arm.

And that was the beginning of there own little tradition. That every eve of Seo Joo Hyun’s birthday, Jung Yonghwa would give her a new charm for her bracelet.

Several years have gone and passed, the prince is now 18 and the burden of the crown now rests on him. But no matter what happens, he still holds on to his promise.

Dress in his best royal garb, with his princess at his side, he gave her a new trinket for her bracelet. It was in a shape of a promise ring.

After clasping the new charm, to her almost full jewelry, he then twined their hands together and gave her knuckles a soft kiss.

“Joo Hyun” he whispered. “I gave this new charm to promise you that no matter what happens, I’ll always send you your gift. That’s why don’t ever forget that.”

Joo Hyun leaned her head down at her prince shoulder and softly said, “Don’t talk as if your not going back, Oppa!”

The prince only let out a small chuckle and kissed his fair maiden’s forehead, “My dearest Joo Hyun, how can I not come back to you? But as you can see, Oppa, has a lot of things to do. My father wants me to stay at our kingdom for a very long time to fix a lot of things. That’s why I might not come here on your next birthday. But I promise you, my princess, that I will give your bracelet a new charm every eve of the 29th.”

Joo Hyun can’t help but release a few tears before facing her prince and saying, “I’ll hold on to you’re promise, Oppa. Because I believe in you and I know you’ll try you’re best to come to my birthday and spend it until the eve with you by my side.”

Yong stared at his crying princess in awe before kissing both her eyes and tears, “You know I don’t like you crying. I treasure your smile the most so please only smile for me.”

And the princess did just that.

The young lovers soon fell into a comfortable silence but fearing the next day where they would now be apart for such a long time.

At the crack of a new day, the young prince bid farewell to his fiancée. A gentle kiss to her lips and a reaffirmation of his promise, he rode off towards his kingdom.  

And as he promised he gave her bracelet a new charm every year but he never gave it to her in person. The princess was heartbroken for she never saw her prince. She never thought that his absence would last this long. Her father is getting worried at the lack of smile from his only child. The once happy sparkle in her eyes is dimming bit by bit.

Years have past until the princess turned 21. Her bracelet was now full of different charms and small letters from the prince is safely hidden in her drawer. His letters are short but she treasures this nonetheless. Every year the same words appear and every year she clings at those very words as if her dear life depends on it.

Another birthday came and she waits for the messenger to deliver her gift. It never fails, it always arrive at the same time the night clocks struck at twelve. She looks up in the sky at her bedroom window as she see her kingdom full of joy but she stayed in her room with her sentiments waiting for one brown-eyed prince with her endearing snaggletooth to arrived at her door. And as the evening fireworks were lit the only person that arrived in their castle porch is the same messenger with the same box at hand.

"My lady, another gift for you." he said.

"Thank you good sir." she said politely and went back to her room. She slowly unties the beautiful silk ribbon and there she found another one of his letter.

My dearest princess,

Happy Birthday or should I say belated happy birthday my dear. As I have promised here is another charm. I hope this will give you a smile. You're smile that I really loved and treasure…

Your Prince,

Yonghwa

"I'm sorry Oppa if I can't promise to smile forever. I've missed you so greatly so please just visit me one time,” she silently prayed as she looks at her new trinket, a beautiful charm in the shape of a single tear.

And today another year is about to start…

 

Another year of endless waiting.

 

She is now twenty-two and waited for the messenger to arrive and again he arrived when the clock had struck. But not like the other time, there is no present at hand. Not even a single box.

"I'm sorry my lady but you don't have any present at all." he informed and left the princess.

The princess run to her room and just like the last gift she received tears continuously flow in her cheeks. Thinking that maybe it will arrive a little late but as she waits…

 

And wait

 

Nothing came.

 

The king grew more worried for the princess is beginning to pale. So he talked to her conjuring up a lie to forget the handsome prince. At the day of her birthday, he entered his daughters' chamber and saw her looking up in the sky as the beautiful fireworks illuminates her gloomy room.

"My child, I receive a letter from their kingdom. Saying that the prince is about to be wed to someone else. You must move on… there are many men out there that will truly loved you,” he said to his daughter… a small lie that he thought is right.

"I'll truly try father but I can't promise you. I guess a year of waiting is already enough. Oppa, would never come back." replied the princess though her heart screamed at her to not give up.

The princess health slowly came back but the dullness in her eyes can be seen if you look thoroughly at her brown eyes. And her smile, which was always so bright, seems so fake to the people of her kingdom. The princess is hurt and the person she needed the most is out of their reach.

Everything she does is just a mask. She's not the real Joo Hyun; the real Seo Joo Hyun went with her Yong Oppa the day he had left her.

In an effort to lighten their beloved princess mood, the palace decided to hold a mask ball on her twenty-fifth birthday. It was a way to let the princess mind wander of so she can forget the messenger that delivers her gift. As people dance and feast the princess just stayed in her sit and every now and then let out a small sigh. Many had tried to ask her hand for a dance but she only gave small smile and a polite, ‘No’.

'I can't believe I'm in here. I hate parties.' she thought and then she saw an extended hand and heard someone asked

"Can I have the pleasure to dance to a fair maiden like you?"

She can't help but look at the young man's face though it's hidden you can still see his beautiful brown eyes. She stared at those eyes. His eyes are just like him. The same shade of brown, those same gentle eyes.

Unconsciously, she took the young man extended hand. People stop to look at them because they just seem to be perfect to each other. They waltzed without talking to one another and after they have finished their dance, the young man asked the princess to for a short walk.

The bright full moon shines beautifully at them. As the princes walk ever so dainty and the young man just gaze at her admiring her beauty. They took a stop in her garden and sat down in one of its bench. Silence engulfs the still night. And the only sound that surrounds them is the princess humming voice.

"You have a very beautiful voice, princess." the young man complimented.

"Thank you." she replied shyly.

"What song are you humming?" he asked once again.

"Oh… it's a song written by my fiancé. He used to play his piano and one day he played this piece. I just can't help but remember." she answered her voice going distant and both of them fell silent once again. Joo Hyun look at the man next to her and she can't help but wonder why she felt so at ease with a complete stranger.

'Maybe it's his eyes. He has the same eyes as…' she thought but broke of when the young man spoke once again.

"Can I ask you about your fiancé? If it's alright with you,” he said.

At first Joo Hyun didn't speak a word but after a while she started…

"Oppa is one of the nicest person you’ll ever meet, he’s understanding and he is always at my side. He also has the most gentlest and playful eyes. Just like yours." Joo Hyun commented and at this the young man just let out a small chuckle. She then smiled at him and continues, "You can't easily separate the two of us. We see each other everyday since his father and mine are good friends. I was happy and he even promised me that he’d marry me when the right time comes. That is when he gave me this bracelet. He said it's his promise to me. And if he ever forgets his vow I'll just show him this jewelry and he was sure to remember. He made that when we we’re only nine. He was always making promises but he had never broken one. Not until this past two years. All his promises are broken but I can't help but still believe in him. I know my father is lying about him marrying someone else. Oppa, would never do that to me. I just knew but I don't want to worry my father that much. That is why I'm living a life full of mask and lies. I just can't help it. I think I love him so much. And I really really miss him." she finished and can't help but cry. She immediately wipes it off.

"Sorry, I'm such a cry baby." she apologized and tries to wipe her tears but to no avail. The young man looked up in the sky and suddenly said, "Few more hours left before midnight."

"Huh?" she asked.

"Nothing, I just want to say sorry."

"What for?" Hyun asked.

"For everything… for not keeping my promises, for making you cry. I just remember I also promised you that," he said.

"No, you can't be…" she whisper.

"Sorry… I think I need to explain to you what had happen." he said cutting her off as he removed his mask to show her it's him.

"You better do that mister. I've waited long enough for you," she said in un-lady like voice.

He just chuckled once again "I can't believe you can talk like that. Anyways, I left because our kingdom is in peril. I didn’t tell you that because I don’t want you to worry yourself unnecessarily. You're father tried to help us in every way he can but father refused. He doesn't want your kingdom to be involved and so we part. Every year I tried my best to not go to you. I've missed you a lot. I wrote very small letters to not get your hopes up that I’d return. The war that befalls on us is very dangerous and for every passing day, our land is losing. We strived to stand up but because of the endless battle I didn't gave you my gift. I'm sorry. That is why I personally came here. The war has finally ended and I want to give this to you." he finally said and hand out a box.

Joo Hyun gladly took the gift and opened it. The same small letter is there. The only difference is there are two charms in it. A heart. It's a heart that can be broken into two. She suddenly hugged the young man.

"Thank you, Oppa but I would be much happier if you would stay here with me." she said but Yonghwa just looked at her sadly.

"I'm sorry… I think I must always apologize. Because I can't stay with you." he said.

"Why not? Don't be stubborn Oppa. The war has finally ended, why won't you-" she rattled on but she stop when she heard him say those words.

"I'm already dead, Joo Hyun. I just came here to give you my gift. And as the clock struck at twelve I'll disappear forever." he said.

"What? Don't joke like that! It's not funny!" Joo Hyun accused but deep in her heart she knows he is telling the truth.

"I died when I was about to go to your kingdom. We finally won the war, Joo Hyun but we never expected…” Yonghwa shook his head and continued, “A band of the remaining soldier from our enemy ambushed us in our journey. I… I’m sorry…”

"I… I don't want to hear your sorry." she muttered and cried.

She wept at her selfishness, at her lost, at her foolishness and she wept for herself.

"It' almost time…" he whispered. You can hear the shouts of people as they count down the end of they princess birthday.

-5-

 

 

Joo Hyun looks at her life. Her one and only prince.

 

 

-4-

 

 

Pulling herself together, she tried to run towards his arms.

 

 

 

-3-

 

 

Just a bit more…

 

-2-

 

 

Reaching out her hands…

 

 

-1-

 

 

And she went pass him, only hearing him say the words, I’ll always love you, Joo Hyun. And his gone… Gone forever…

While the rest of the kingdom rejoices one woman cries for her lost. The fireworks lit the dark garden as Joo Hyun saw another box at the bench. She gently wipes her face and slowly reaches for the box.

She opened it with shaky hands and there appear a beautiful diamond ring and a letter.

My dearest princess,

This is the ring I was about to give to you when I return. I wanted to fulfill my promised to marry you but I guess fate is against us. I know you hate me because I always apologized but I can't help it. It pains me because I've made my princess cry. I broke my promises to her. And I hate myself for not telling you I loved you when I'm alive. I do hope you don't hate me that much… but please grant my only wish. That is for you to always smile. Smile for me. My life ends here but yours doesn't. Remember I'll always be here by your side watching you smile. I guess this is goodbye… I love you very much.

Always loving you,

Your prince Yonghwa

 

Years have passed since the prince bid his farewell to the princess. Seo Joo Hyun did her best to fulfill her promise. She tried her best to not cry that much. She knows that Yonghwa is always there by her side. She led both kingdoms by herself. And people knew her because of the only jewelry she wears despite her marriage and coronation. That bracelet never left her until the day she finally rested.

 

This may not be your typical fairytale with a 'they lived happily ever after'. I don't believe in second life but maybe… just maybe… the soul of the princess and the prince might cross. They could be highschool friends or even two complete strangers but their destiny may cross. To fulfill his broken promises on the eve of June 29th.

 

The End

 

SEVERAL DECADES LATER…

 

‘Yong-oppa and I haven’t seen each other for so long. I wanted to invite him to my birthday party but I was afraid that some paparazzi might be there to capture our moment. I miss my Oppa so much.’ Seo Joo Hyun can’t help but think as she prepared herself to bed.

 

Staring at her handphone longingly, Hyun waits patiently for that one most important text. Finally, his special ringtone played and she held her phone in haste.

 

“Hello?”

 

Happy Birthday to you… Happy birthday to you… Happy birthday dear, Joo Hyun-ah~ Happy birthday to you.” Yong husky voice sang to her and she can’t help but smile widely.

 

“Oppa!”

 

-chuckles- “Weh? Did Seohyun-ah miss me on her birthday?”

 

“Cham!”

 

“I’m just joking, Joo Hyuy. Which reminds me, I have a surprise for you. Go to your door! Palli!!”

 

“But Oppa~~”

 

“Come on, Joo hyuy!!”

 

“All right. I’m going out Oppa!”

 

Getting out from her cozy bed, she silently threaded out of her room and opened their door room. And in front of her, stood Jung Yong Hwa, his cute snaggle tooth and all.

 

“Happy Birthday, Joo Hyun!!!” he greeted happily and Hyun can only openly gape at him.

 

“Oh~ Did I surprise my lovely girlfriend?” he teased. “Well, this will surprise you more. Chanan~” he exclaimed and hand out a small box.

 

SeoHyun having been surprise doesn’t know what she would say and only receive her gift gladly, “Kamsamnida, Oppa.”

 

“Open it, palli!!!” he said and watches his girlfriend intently.

 

She slowly unravel her boyfriends gift and was surprised to find a charm bracelet with different types of trinkets. She saw a goguma, a book, a ring, a guitar, a music note and all the significant things that happened in their life.

 

“Did you like it, Joo Hyun?” Yonghwa asked proudly. “I remember, Omma telling me before about a fairytale regarding a prince giving his princess a charm on the end of her birthday and I can’t help but think that it’s kind of a cool idea so I-“

 

Yonghwa was cut off from his explanation when her girlfriend suddenly tackled him into a hug and showered his face with kisses.

 

“I really love my gift, Oppa.” She said.

 

Yonghwa tightened his hold to his girlfriend and gave a smile, “I’m glad you did. Happy birthday, Joo Hyun”

 

And he sealed it with a kiss.

 

THE END…

 

SERIOUSLY :P

 

A/N: I just want to join the june 29th project thing. So this thing is kind of rush that’s why please forgive if there are lots of grammatical errors. I made this story a long time ago as a fanfiction for an anime although I change some things to make it fit Yongseo. Also forgive me if some things in the story is a bit confusing.

 

Will, write Pretty Boys once again. Love you fellow gogumas J

 

AND ONCE AGAIN HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUNG YONG HWA-oppa

And SEO JOO HYUN!!! I wish you all the best and hopefully you’ll really be a couple or maybe you’re together already? Haha

 

Wish you all the happiness in each other!

 

~YUME OUT~!

 

PS: please forgive my not so good wallpaper. That’s the first time I tried to do photoshop so it’s a little dismal although I’m quite proud of it