I.

The Unspoken Words

 

I. If you don't look around once in a while,  

you might just miss it.

 

She regretted it the moment she turned the corner; that unfamiliar awkwardness, that icy-cold atmosphere, that impatient tone, she was disgusted at herself. And worst of all, her pride had stopped her from smiling back, from turning back, from looking back. She continued to walk ahead, further from him, as that cruel yet somewhat familiar separation scene replayed in front of her again. 

Yoona had always been an aspiring and headstrong girl, with many ideals in life. And she knew very well which directions she would always be heading to. She was someone who would charge ahead at full speed, without casting a look back in life. For she was always chasing after her dreams.

 

The first time when she was humiliated, he was the one who was magnanimous enough to invite her.

In elementary school, she was a prim and proper student, being the class leader consecutively for the third year. Whereas contrastingly,  he was just a new transfer student who sat beside her in class, passing each and every day idly. And to put it simply, she strongly disliked him. Amusingly, that idle boy had replaced her, the model student, as the next elected class leader, very much to her displeasure. She had always thought he was an useless class leader with no commitments, and merely replaced her due to his popularity.

 

“I’ve organized a class party to celebrate our graduation.”

“Okay, I see.”

“You’re joining us?”

“No.”

“Why? It’s not going to be a class party anymore, without you! Please, Yoona?”

“No, I’ve many other things to do.”

“…”

 

The first time when she was bullied, he was the one who stood up for her

In middle school, it came as no surprise that she was constantly ranked in the top two. After all, she had devoted most of her time in her academics.  But it was also because of that, she did not have any true friends. She remembered the conversation she had unintentionally overheard in the lockers room. Her classmates were talking behind her back, and their harsh and piercing words had instantly hurt her. As she lowered her head and was just about to walk away, a tall figure had brushed past her. And almost immediately, she recognized him. It was that idle boy back in her elementary school. Instead of his usual jovial expression , he had now put on a rather solemn expression on his flawless face, throwing words of disapproval at the two girls, who then ran off in a huff. And that day, their innocent friendship had blossomed.

 

“Yoona, are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“That’s good, don’t be too affected by what they say..”

“I don’t really mind. But, why did you defend for me?”

 “Because, I’m your friend.”

“You didn’t have to.”

“…”

 

The first time when she was heartbroken, he was the one who comforted her.

High school was probably her first turning point in life. Her hair had grown much longer and the way her doe-like eyes would sparkle, never fail to captivate the others. On the other hand, Kris had remained very much the same, still as idle as before, still as popular as before, just like how he was in elementary school. Like any other high school girl, Yoona  fell in love with a good-looking senior. Kris had warned that he was a player and she shouldn’t be too involved with him. Unfortunately for her, she did not take his words seriously until she had discovered that he two-timed her. Her heart was shattered into pieces, and he was the one who lent her a shoulder to cry on.  

 

“He cheated on me.”

“I warned you, didn’t I?”

“Aren’t you suppose to comfort me, Kris?”

“Why should I?”

 “...”

“If you need my shoulders, it’s always here for you. You know that, Yoona.”

“…”

 

The first time when she was disappointed, he was the one who stayed by her side.

The second turning point of her life would probably be the university entrance exams. Despite her intelligence and diligence, she had not make it to her dream school, which was Seoul’s best medical college. She had always aspired to be a doctor, who would save people’s lives. That day when she had received the rejection letter, she cried hard. It was her very first failure in the life. And, behind her back, Kris had secretly tore his acceptance letter to the medical school.  

 

“You got accepted, didn’t you?”

“No.”

“Really?”

“Why should I lie?”

 “...” 

 

The first time they got into a heated argument, he was the one who gave in.

When Yoona had discovered that he had forsaken such a good opportunity in life, she was infuriated. That was probably the last time he had heard from her. He did not chase after her. And that was probably the last time he had spoken to her again.  

 

“Why did you lie to me?”

“I-”

“Why didn’t you attend that freaking medical college in Seoul?”

“I-”

“How could you give up such a good opportunity?”

I love you. 

 

As Yoona began her university life, she started to avoid him. Wherever he was, she would never be present. It wasn't that she was angry at him, it was just that she blamed herself. And, she was afraid of destroying that innocent friendship that they had built since childhood. Ever since her first failure in life, she worked even harder than before. She thought she had moved on in life, she thought she could forget him, and she thought she was fine without him. 

 

That day when they had met again after four years, both of them were overwhelmed. It had been four years since they last spoke to each other, four years since they saw each other and four years since they heard from each other. He had meant to invite her for a cup of coffee, but those words did not seem to come out from his mouth as he was afraid of bothering her, just like that one last time.

Her heels clicked on the pavement as she took every step, away from him. She knew she had been lying to herself all these years. There was so much that she wanted to tell him. She wanted to thank him for inviting her for that class party during their elementary school years, she wanted to thank him for standing up for her during their middle school years, she wanted to thank him for lending her a shoulder during their high school years, and she wanted to thank him for the beautiful friendship they had shared.

As she stopped in her track, she realized how foolish she had been. That man who stood by her all these years, was definitely her true love. It was the first time she had slowed down to take a look around, and she was not going to miss that man ever again. She took quick steps towards his direction, and she met with that familiar figure which was walking towards her too.

He smiled when he was met with her beautiful doe-like eyes.

And she smiled. 

There was no need for any more words, as they understood those unspoken words that lingered in the air. It was that silence which had connected them together. 

 

The first time they had kissed, she was the one who initiated it.

 

A/N: Hi, the one-shot featuring Yoon-Kris is finally out! ^^ It's my first one-shot, which is a very simple and short story, revolving around their friendship and love. Sometimes, slowing down your footsteps in your hectic lifestyle to look around you, you might actually realize the things you've missed out in life. Just like Yoona, she took four years to realize that she too, love her best friend. I'm actually trying out a rather simplistic writing style here; it is a very light-hearted read, which I hope you've enjoyed reading. I'll work harder to write better stories! Do subscribe and comment.