6

Freelance

Seunghyun

 

“Hey, I’m trying to watch a movie here.” Bom giggled. I was drawing spirals on her stomach as we lay on the couch. Her head on my chest, fingers intertwined in mine and my other arm around her, drawing the aforementioned spirals.

“Oh, am I distracting you? Terribly sorry. But perhaps this movie just isn’t holding my attention like certain other things.” I played with edge of her silk over-shirt, slipping my hand up to brush across her warm skin.

“Noooo. I like this movie and we are going to finish watching it.” Bom moved her back and my shirt slid up, my skin brushing hers.

“Not fair. Not fair at all Bommie.” I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on the movie. It was something about love through a war and someone saved someone’s life and lalalala. I sighed and sat up, “Well fine then. But I have something to tell you, Bom.”

Bom slid of my chest, reached over to pause the movie and turned to me. “That isn’t an encouraging tone, Seung. What’s up?” I grabbed her wrist and ran my fingers lightly over her palm.

“Ok, well.” I paused. I didn’t want to tell her I was going back into freelance work to support Jiyong. It could break her, my work being the reason she was shot and almost killed. “Jiyong’s partner Taeyang was killed last week. Since Daesung went back to the police force he needs a partner.”

“You didn’t? You know what will happen! Jiyong has no sense of his own safety, not since Chaerin died. Please don’t do this Seunghyun.” Bom tore her hand from mine and began to pace the room. “Please, he can go to Seungri if he needs a partner.”

“And what about Seungri’s daughter? She’s only two and you know that isn’t fair. Plus, it’s not just for him. It’s for Taeyang, and Dara.” I reach out to give her a hug but Bom turns away.

“You know why I don’t want you back there. Look.” Bom pulls the silk shirt over her head and lets it drop to the floor. She then pulls off her singlet and turns so I can see her back, bare but for her bra straps. On her left side just below her heart is a star shaped scar, about the size of a fifty-cent piece. It’s the exit wound for the bullet that punched through her chest three years ago. “This is what nearly killed me Seung. This is something I can never get back, this is because of what you did then and this is what killed Chaerin and Jiyong’s heart along with her. Please don’t.”

“I have to Bom. We all need this. It’s the same gang, and two of our friends are dead.” I pick her singlet off the floor and hand it to her. She covers up her pale skin and scar, bits of her I could never forget. That scar has made her who she is today, even if it was awful. She is serious now, thinking about her future and what she has to lose. Before she was a flightly, little girl in a adults body. “I have to protect Dara. I can’t let her partner Jiyong, I can’t let her see the dark side of him, the side that rules in this job.”

“Dara? She’s in this awful business too? I can’t believe you let her do that? She’s only twenty two, fresh faced out of uni and has no idea of how the real world works.” Bom began to collect her belongings from their scattered places around my apartment.

“I didn’t let her do anything. She’s out of my control and believe me I tried to dissuade her. What are you doing?” I watch Bom pick up her handbag and jacket and place her key on the table.

“I just can’t talk with you about this right now Seunghyun. I’m going home.” I lean down to give her a kiss and she turns away, my lips brushing her cheek.

“I love you and that’s why I’m doing this.” I pull her things out of her arms and toss them on the couch. “Sorry Bom.” I wrap my arms around her waist and carry her over my shoulder down the hallway to my bedroom.

“PUT ME DOWN! NOW SEUNGHYUN!” Bom hits me on the back for all she’s worth, which, because she is so light, isn’t much. The hits dissipate into stubborn silence and then sobs. “Please Seunghyun.”

“We are going to talk about this and we are going to do it now.” The last time I let her walk out the door I didn’t see her for two and a half months after she got out of hospital. Bom prefers to avoid her problems and I’m not letting her run out on me again, just to come back months later with bruises on her arms and fear in her eyes. If her brother, whom she lives with occasionally, comes home drunk and knows we are ‘off’ he beats her up. It happened once and I got a call at one in the morning to pick her up from the hospital after her brother knocked her out. He had a black eye for two weeks after that.

“Sit.” I plonk Bom down on the bed and lean against the opposite wall. She wipes her eyes and glares at me. I’m doing this for her own good and she knows it.

 She still isn’t happy about this and will probably hold it against me for several weeks. I sigh, no gorgeous morning Bom to wake up next to for quite a while from the look on her face.

“You know what you are getting yourself into. So you should know, although I am not happy I will support you.” Bom has her grumpy face on. It’s the one she uses when someone else has won the argument.

“Thankyou Bom. Now aren’t you glad I did this.” It’s a condescending smile on my face, albeit a sarcastic one.

“No.” Now it’s the sullen, pouty face. “No Bom for you for a very long time.” She shakes her finger at me, but has a smile on her face.

“Well alright then, lets continue watching the worlds most boring movie ever.”

 

Later, sitting at the table eating pizza and chatting about one of Bom’s workmates, a hilarious man by the name of Yunho. His exploits, in and outside the office are hysterical.

“Then he offered the man a cocktail. Seriously, from his private fridge.” Bom is laughing so hard she can barely finish the story. “And he accepted.”

“Ahh, Yunho. We must invite him over for drinks at some point.” The home phone starts to ring and I pick it up, “Choi and Kwon household. Seunghyun here.”

“Hey bro. Just calling to let you know that Jiyong and I are staying at Seungri’s tonight.” Dara moves away from the phone for a minute, “Go you bastard! YESSS! Take that Incheon! Sorry Seung, It’s football night and Seoul is kicking Incheon’s . Oh, here’s Ji.” There was the sound of a phone being thrown across a room.

“Hi, hyung. We’ll be staying here cause both Dara and I are over what is considered a ‘legal limit’ to drive. So have fun with Bom and see you tomorrow morning. Actually, from the fact that that is Dara’s third cruiser better make it afternoon. Bye.” Jiyong hung up, but not before I heard the sounds of Seungri’s ‘No! Incheon you’re better than that.’

“Well we won’t be seeing them till sometime tomorrow.” Jokingly I said, “There goes my sisters innocence, spending the night with Jiyong.”

“Oh, she’s lost it already.” Bom clapped her hands over . “You didn’t hear that. Ignore what I just said.”

The shocked look on my face prompted Bom to keep denying it.

“What I meant was, like she’s not a or anything. You knew that, right?” Bom’s trying to cover up her mistake by distracting me. She’s doing that pose that girls do, the one where they cross their arms just below their s so they get pushed up. It is one of the more distracting things I’ve seen but there isn’t a heap that could get my mind off what I’ve just learnt.

“Yeah, but you mean Jiyong. She slept with Jiyong?” The hand gripping my fork is white with anger. “TELL ME.”

“Oh look, a text. Oh, my mother needs me. Love you, bye.” Bom grabs her stuff for the second time tonight and kisses me goodbye then bolts out the door. “I’ve taken your keys, so you can’t go over to Seungri’s. Ta!”

 

The internal dialogue going on inside my head right now is rather impressive. It’s switching between ‘holy hell Jiyong is a dead man’ and ‘Dara and Jiyong. Ewwww, there is also the bit of me that is a massive lovesick sook going ‘awww, my best friend and my sister. They could get married and have kids and the world is full of magically happy rainbows’.

 

Pretty sure I’m listening mainly to the first one.

 

 

AN

ehehehe. This is rather short, but I really want to get back to Seungri's pad.

I love this. Freelance is my big passion right now, so there will probably be yet another chapter coming out this week, sorry 17th'ers.

Comments are <3 (especially since you guys only had to wait a couple of days)